FireEye Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
40 interviews

3.1

Staff Engineer Interview

Very thorough process with multiple phone screenings. Then Skype interview with multiple team members. Different design, security and scalability questions. Online coding questions and current project experience questions. Final interview with hiring manager about personality and expectations

Interview Questions
    • Knowledge of security details and use case scenarios which could compromise security in local networks   Answer Question

Channel Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FireEye.

I was contacted by a recruiter about a month after I applied. A 30-min telephone interview was scheduled with the hiring manager. The hiring manager asked questions about my background and how they related to the role. About a week later, I was scheduled for an on-site interview with two other managers. The first manager I met was great to talk to, since the conversation flowed smoothly as questions were asked about how my skills would be a fit for the position. Speaking to the second manager was a different experience. The minute that manager walked in, the person seemed disengaged and uninterested. The manager also asked similar questions like the previous one, but there was a lot of negative non-verbal communication displayed which indicated that no matter what I said, this person was not receptive to any of it.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FireEye in May 2014.

Very quick and efficient. Applied online on the FireEye website. After applied, they send you additional information to fill out, including questions about the position you applied for, almost like a test. After this, I had one phone interview and received an offer a week later

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FireEye in May 2014.

After I applied online for a technical position, I received many mails for online assessments for various positions. After the screening, I received a call for phone interview, which was a 2 part interview. One with the hiring manager and another with a technical person. The interview was smooth, the interviewers were very friendly and after about 2 weeks I received a call telling I was selected. But there was an initial glitch about receiving the offer letter through mail, but the HR was in constant touch with me and readily available to answer all my queries.

Interview Questions
    The hourly rate offered was good for an Intern

Software Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FireEye in May 2014.

Soon after applying, the process began with an online test consisting of multiple choice questions. The questions were pretty simple, but atleast in my case they were mostly related to networking which at the time I had little to no experience with, so I didn't do very well. Since none of the questions really tested my programming ability, I emailed them about it asking if I could do some kind of a challenge, and it turned out that this test was more of a baseline assessment rather than a qualifier.

A few weeks later I got a call from a recruiter on their university relations team, and after some general questions about my interests etc they scheduled a call with the hiring manager for the open position. On that call I was told about FireEye and the position, and they wanted me to talk about the projects that I listed on my resume. I was pretty nervous this time (I got the idea that the manager was a technical person, so I tried to present things so that the technical difficulty of my projects would be apparent, while keeping it meaningful), and I would suggest to write down some key things about your projects if you aren't used to discussing them. I was told that a technical interview would be arranged, which took place about 2 weeks afterwards.

I was struggling with voice quality on the technical interview, on my end it sounded like we were using walkie-talkies, but fortunately the interviewer could hear me fine. I'd suggest arranging this interview to be done on Skype or Google Hangouts, so you won't have to ask the person on the other end to repeat themselves constantly if you run into problems like I did. After the interviewer had introduced himself and his role, I told a little bit about myself, and then it was time to talk about my projects again. The interviewer asked some extremely relevant questions about the main project that I was talking about (important security related issues that people building similar programs have actually had to resolve). I was pretty surprised by this, and although I was able to answer those questions, in a more comfortable situation I would've been able to talk about it all day. While keeping the theme of my project, he changed the context a bit so that he could ask networking related questions. There were two simple data structures questions, but no grilling with algorithm design etc (which had me worried, since I feel like problem solving would be my most marketable skill). With that in mind, I wouldn't spend time worrying about your trees and complexities, in hindsight it seems that they mostly wanted to test if you seem like a person they'll be able to teach, and if you're able to communicate well (if there was something I couldn't answer on the interview, I said so, and I imagine that is how they'd want you to go about it on the job, rather than just quietly struggling for the duration of your internship).

Overall a great experience, communication with the university recruiter was very swift, and both the hiring manager and the technical interviewer (who is the lead developer on the team that the intern position is for) were polite and seemed genuinely interested.

Interview Questions
    • What does it mean that HTTP is stateless (going back to the call quality issues, I had to ask him to repeat himself about 4 times, until he virtually spelled it out)   View Answer
    The package is very good and I did not negotiate, however they do ask about other offers you may have standing.

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Milpitas, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at FireEye in May 2014.

Went through various online testing, the company was very unprofessional throughout the entire process, they took forever to respond, and were not clear with what they wanted. Finally was able to get a phone interview which went well so I was called in for interview in person. Did not recieve the position, because they said I was under qualified, even though they said it was a "non-technical" position. I am only a sophomore in college so I guess thats why. I feel like I did well on all the interview questions, which were all pretty much behavioral.

Senior Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at FireEye in March 2014.

Initial interview with internal recruiter, several phone interviews, and full day onsite interviews with 5-6 staff including two managers. Background check after acceptance of offer and prior to start date.

Interview Questions
    • Database mapping of object programming models over several versions of code changes.   Answer Question
    Very fair and competitive business approach.

Vulnerability Research Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FireEye.

Met the recruiter at the career fair on campus. I was then asked to apply online on their website.

Then I was contacted to complete some online assessments.

Here are my interview process.

1. A few online challenges (links are sent to your email address)
    2. 1 technical phone interview
    3. Several Skype interviews

New College Grad- Technical Position Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FireEye in February 2014.

I was contacted by HR for the new college grad position by filling out a timed assessment exam asking a range of technical questions (mostly network related). I was contacted a few weeks later for a phone screening. After the phone screening, I had several phone interviews with Managers spread over 2 weeks. All the interviews were spread out since they were at different locations, as well as different time zones. All the phone interviews were technical, mostly involving computer networks and security and were mostly scenario based.

I do advise potential candidates to Google the names of your interviewers. After looking up the names of the interviewers (one of whom would have been my manager), the first result was his twitter page full of religious and homophobic rants. It's a quick way to determine whether it's someone you would be comfortable working with

Interview Questions
    • had to match a range of lesser known services with their respective port numbers   Answer Question

New College Grad - Technical Position Interview

November 20, 2013
    I applied on their website and received an email a week later to take a skills test. Their email also included ALL of the applicants who applied for the position and "passed" the initial resume check round. About a half hour later, they retracted that last email. I don't even recall an apology for their mistake. So, I blacklisted them (and told friends to not bother with that company).

About 4.5 months later, I got about 10 emails to take this 90-minute challenge for a Software Engineer (Web Developer) position. I'm sure by Monday, they'll retract all 10 emails.

Beware of applying to this company; especially for their New College Grad position. Even though I have not met with anyone in-person, I feel they are very unprofessional.

Worked for FireEye? Contribute to the Community!