Fireman's Fund Insurance Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2015

Practice Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Recruiter reaches out to you via linked in, followed by phone interview, video conference, and then finally an all day interview session in Novato

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty straightforward

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Sacramento, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

It was hap hazard, mostly just a conversation more around skill sets

Negotiation

Not much negotiation on the companies part, it was what it was, take it or leave it.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

It was long interviewing process. No feedback for days at a time. Interviewer were always late during an interview.

Corporate Tax Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

There were initial interview questionnaire before the scheduled interview for a finance intern position. There were 6 questions that gauge your knowledge of the insurance industry, your leadership experience, why you chose your major, etc. The interview consisted was with 3 different managers or VP within the Finance department. They asked a variety of questions from what your hobbies were, when you had to change a policy or go against protocol, what your interest was for finance, what my accounting and technical skills were, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience when you had to change a policy.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation required for an internship position; however, they were flexible with the starting date since I am on the quarter system.

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was referred to FFIC by an actuary who had previously worked there for over 10 years and still kept in good contact with his colleagues there. The entire interview and hiring process was the quickest I've ever dealt with, although this was largely due to my use of another job offer as leverage.

The in-house recruiter contacted me via phone on a Tuesday. I had a phone interview with one of the actuaries later on that day. The phone interview was very positive. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and extremely extroverted, especially for an actuary. Though she asked a few of your standard interview questions, the majority of our phone conversation was just that -- a conversation. It was at this point that I was already getting a great feel for the company.

Two days later, on Thursday, I went in for the live interview. The interview was scheduled from 10:30am until 2:30pm. I came in early as suggested, around 9:45am, in order to tour the campus and office with the recruiter. The day ended up going on until a little past 3:00pm. I met with 6 different actuaries and analysts, including the Chief Actuary, for about 30-45 minutes each. They all seemed to ask the same canned questions (not sure if this was intentional), though a couple of the more senior folks mixed it up by giving me little impromptu problems to analyze. Otherwise, the interviews were once again, just conversations between the interviewers and myself. All the people I met with were suspiciously sociable for actuaries at an insurance company. The interviews were an overall pleasant experience. The interview also included a lunch in the middle of the day.

The next day, Friday, while in a different city looking for housing for my original job offer, I got a call from the FFIC recruiter saying that they were creating an offer package for me. On Monday, I was given the offer details including salary amount benefits package. I accepted soon after without negotiating (see negotiation section for additional details).

Interview Questions

• Without leaving this room, how would you go about in estimating the number of ceiling tiles present throughout the entire campus?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because I already had an offer from a competitor, I was able to use this as leverage for my starting salary. I expected low initial offer, which I had planned to counter offer with a higher amount, expecting to settle in between. However, they offered me my "in between" salary right from the get-go. Although I probably could have squeezed an additional 2000-3000, I decided the offer was fair for an entry level position and that I would let my work speak for itself.

Director, Strategic Initiatives Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

This was very organized. I was referred to the company and was contacted directly by a recruiter. She scheduled a time for a screening interview and that occurred the next day. She was very specific regarding the process that was to be followed and the company adhered to it. The company followed the process and overall it was a great experience.

Interview Questions

• I was changing fields, from retail to financial services, so some of the very specific questions were difficult for me to provide detailed answers to as the interviewer did not have a good understanding of the retail industry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was swift and they accomodated my requests. The final offer was market competitive.

General Adjuster Property Interview

Anonymous Employee in Midwest City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Midwest City, OK) in August 2009.

Interview

The technical property claims director(s) conducted the interview. They were well spoken and intricate in their questioning. This was the second interview of record. The questions posed were direct and specifically catered to determining the experience level and personality of the interviewee. Overall a good experience. Be prepared, open, honest and specific.

Interview Questions

• I was asked for a sample of my work product..   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Dallas, TX) in May 2009.

Interview

i dont really have anything to say about the interview process. It was a long process with several managers. TGhey made me come back after several days and interview

Finance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novato, CA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in April 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with the Director in charge of my group, then my direct manager and finally with the VP resposible for my area of the Finance Dept. These were all one-on-one interviews with the first two taking place back-to-back, and the final one taking place two days later.

Interview Questions

• What information do you think specifically helps you analyze a company's business?   Answer Question
    • If you had to pick one financial measure with which to judge the financial well being of a company what would it be, and why?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They were low-balling me because of the times and my lack of experience in the business, but I wanted to get this type of experience specifically so I took it. Hopefully it will pay off at my next place of employment.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Minneapolis, MN) in April 2009.

Interview

It started with a basic phone call to asses my interest, ask if anyone referred me, and set up another call. On the second call, I was on speaker phone, but only conversing with one person, who asked 4-5 questions about my challenging experiences, how I overcame them, yadda yadda. Then they said they were interested in meeting me, and set up the in-person. When I got there, I took a typing test. After passing, I was interviewed first by a floor manager, then two higher managers, then finally the regional manager, all in the same 2-3 hour span. I was offered a job, and took it.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, though I suppose it was possible. The thing is, the way things are now, if they thought your initial requested salary was too high, they likely wouldn't proceed with you. So if you went in and suddenly asked for more, that probably wouldn't look good.