Fireman's Fund Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Actuarial Analyst Interview

Senior Actuarial Analyst
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in July 2008.

Interview Details – Once you get on-site the process is fairly easy, but takes a day because you usually have to meet with multiple actuaries and analysts. The trick is to follow up until you get a phone interview and follow-up afterward to make sure you're moving ahead in the process. If they like you they will let you know what the hold up is.

Interview Question – Do you have any predictive modeling experience? (I was interviewing for a reserving job.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a small increase in salary and they gave me a sign-on bonus instead.

Practice Leader Interview

Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in February 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter reaches out to you via linked in, followed by phone interview, video conference, and then finally an all day interview session in Novato

Interview Question – pretty standard in questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straightforward

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Minneapolis, MN

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in April 2009.

Interview Details – It started with a basic phone call to asses my interest, ask if anyone referred me, and set up another call. On the second call, I was on speaker phone, but only conversing with one person, who asked 4-5 questions about my challenging experiences, how I overcame them, yadda yadda. Then they said they were interested in meeting me, and set up the in-person. When I got there, I took a typing test. After passing, I was interviewed first by a floor manager, then two higher managers, then finally the regional manager, all in the same 2-3 hour span. I was offered a job, and took it.

Interview Question – What do your weaknesses?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, though I suppose it was possible. The thing is, the way things are now, if they thought your initial requested salary was too high, they likely wouldn't proceed with you. So if you went in and suddenly asked for more, that probably wouldn't look good.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance Analyst Interview

Finance Analyst
Novato, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in April 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed with the Director in charge of my group, then my direct manager and finally with the VP resposible for my area of the Finance Dept. These were all one-on-one interviews with the first two taking place back-to-back, and the final one taking place two days later.

Interview Questions

• What information do you think specifically helps you analyze a company's business?   Answer Question
  • If you had to pick one financial measure with which to judge the financial well being of a company what would it be, and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They were low-balling me because of the times and my lack of experience in the business, but I wanted to get this type of experience specifically so I took it. Hopefully it will pay off at my next place of employment.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Dallas, TX

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in May 2009.

Interview Details – i dont really have anything to say about the interview process. It was a long process with several managers. TGhey made me come back after several days and interview

Interview Question – Challage questions?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in May 2010.

Interview Details – It was long interviewing process. No feedback for days at a time. Interviewer were always late during an interview.

Negotiation Details – No.

Very Difficult Interview

Corporate Tax Internship Interview

Novato, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in April 2010.

Interview Details – There were initial interview questionnaire before the scheduled interview for a finance intern position. There were 6 questions that gauge your knowledge of the insurance industry, your leadership experience, why you chose your major, etc. The interview consisted was with 3 different managers or VP within the Finance department. They asked a variety of questions from what your hobbies were, when you had to change a policy or go against protocol, what your interest was for finance, what my accounting and technical skills were, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me about an experience when you had to change a policy.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation required for an internship position; however, they were flexible with the starting date since I am on the quarter system.

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Assistant Actuarial Analyst
Novato, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in March 2010.

Interview Details – I was referred to FFIC by an actuary who had previously worked there for over 10 years and still kept in good contact with his colleagues there. The entire interview and hiring process was the quickest I've ever dealt with, although this was largely due to my use of another job offer as leverage.

The in-house recruiter contacted me via phone on a Tuesday. I had a phone interview with one of the actuaries later on that day. The phone interview was very positive. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and extremely extroverted, especially for an actuary. Though she asked a few of your standard interview questions, the majority of our phone conversation was just that -- a conversation. It was at this point that I was already getting a great feel for the company.

Two days later, on Thursday, I went in for the live interview. The interview was scheduled from 10:30am until 2:30pm. I came in early as suggested, around 9:45am, in order to tour the campus and office with the recruiter. The day ended up going on until a little past 3:00pm. I met with 6 different actuaries and analysts, including the Chief Actuary, for about 30-45 minutes each. They all seemed to ask the same canned questions (not sure if this was intentional), though a couple of the more senior folks mixed it up by giving me little impromptu problems to analyze. Otherwise, the interviews were once again, just conversations between the interviewers and myself. All the people I met with were suspiciously sociable for actuaries at an insurance company. The interviews were an overall pleasant experience. The interview also included a lunch in the middle of the day.

The next day, Friday, while in a different city looking for housing for my original job offer, I got a call from the FFIC recruiter saying that they were creating an offer package for me. On Monday, I was given the offer details including salary amount benefits package. I accepted soon after without negotiating (see negotiation section for additional details).

Interview Question – Without leaving this room, how would you go about in estimating the number of ceiling tiles present throughout the entire campus?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Because I already had an offer from a competitor, I was able to use this as leverage for my starting salary. I expected low initial offer, which I had planned to counter offer with a higher amount, expecting to settle in between. However, they offered me my "in between" salary right from the get-go. Although I probably could have squeezed an additional 2000-3000, I decided the offer was fair for an entry level position and that I would let my work speak for itself.

General Adjuster Property Interview

Midwest City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in August 2009.

Interview Details – The technical property claims director(s) conducted the interview. They were well spoken and intricate in their questioning. This was the second interview of record. The questions posed were direct and specifically catered to determining the experience level and personality of the interviewee. Overall a good experience. Be prepared, open, honest and specific.

Interview Question – I was asked for a sample of my work product..   View Answer

Territory Sales Director Interview

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in May 2010.

Interview Details – Submit resume directly to HR. Received phone call from HR for phone interview. Received second interview with direct hiring manager. HR and Senior Management ask for direct referrals. Took Skills/Personality test. Went through background check. This took the longest, but ultimately got hired.

Interview Questions

• How do you prepare for your presentation? What are step by step process? Please go through a presentation and explain your thought process.   Answer Question
  • How do you prioritize and organize your day/week/month?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fireman's Fund Insurance