Fireman's Fund Insurance Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Administrative Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA).

Interview

The online application has some technical glitches, once through that process then the HR recruiter was pleasant and helpful. The entire process was slow going taking nearly one month for a job that I was told needed to be filled "immediately". After the phone interview with the recruiter, I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager, another admin assistant and one other manager in the department. All were pleasant and positive about the company and clear about the role expectations.

Finance Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied online and three days later received a call to set up a phone interview for the next day. The recruiter called 30 minutes late for the phone interview and asked to reschedule to the following day. We reschedule the phone interview which lasted about 20 minutes and basically went over my resume and experience. During the phone interview I was offered an in-person interview for the following week. I had three one on one interviews about 30 minutes each. The recruiter called me the following week and said I was well-received, but didn't have the required 5-7 years of experience required for the position (the position didn't say it required 5-7 years experience and I don't have that experience so not sure why they interviewed me).
    The recruiter said that there was another position opening up that I would be a great fit for, but the department was going though some changes so he would contact me the following week to set something up for that position. I never heard anything so I sent an email to the recruiter to follow up on the position. He never respond to the email and has not contacted me.

Interview Questions

• not difficult but interesting question... Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn't know from your resume   Answer Question

Solution Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was contacted about 3 weeks after applying online. Had a preliminary phone screening where the HR said I was a really good fit and set me up for an in-person interview the next day. The in-person interview was about an hour long and was mostly asking questions about my resume or to explain a project. Couple of basic behavioural like what was your biggest failure/success.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me about your Senior Design project.   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Good communication from recruiter. Online application system is a bit remedial. Settings somehow supressed my application from recruiter. Had to sort of prove I'd already completed the process. Automated message to candidate includes attachment with instructions to manager. The poor automation quliaty here was a bit worrisome, but candidates should persist through this awkward phase. The rest of the company doesn't seem to operate this way.

Interview Questions

• I've never been asked about my "personal brand" before, in this kind of role.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The application process forces you to state a desired salary. They offered slightly less than I asked for on the application. I requested a compromise on a benefit and was given a different, but acceptable alternative. Honestly, I was so motivated to leave my former employer, I didn't fight very hard, but I got the impression the recruiter and hiring manager would have engaged fairly with me if I had. I think the critical part of engaging with anyone at FF is respect and openness to other's ideas. Don't be afraid to articulate your needs, but be careful to be extremely respectful as you do this. Entitlement isn't a job skill, here.

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Talked with the recruiter on the phone and was brought out to the campus for an in person interview a couple of weeks later. I interviewed with four people including the vice president, assistant vice president and two FCAS managers. I also took a tour of the campus with a senior actuary and had lunch with two peer's. Everyone was very nice and I loved their campus. They have a gym, cafeteria, dry-cleaning, and study room. The whole process took about four and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• They describe a golf course that gives a certain prize to players when they hit a hole in one. They want you to figure out what the premium should be on an insurance policy on the prize.   1 Answer
    • Explain what is meant by the "Fiscal Cliff" so that third grader could understand what the big deal in the media is.   Answer Question

Finance Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

The day after I submitted my application online I was contacted by the recruiter for a brief phone screener. That went well an I was offered the opportunity to meet with the hiring manager and two of his peers. There were all very friendly and welcoming. I was invited back for a final round of interviews with another of the hiring manager's peers and the group senior executive. Two or three weeks went by before I was contacted with an offer for the job

Interview Questions

• Straightforward behavioral, technical, fit and company knowledge questions - nothing was unexpected or difficult   Answer Question

The salary offered was far below the industry/ regional standard for similar opportunities. There was no room for negotiation...

Practice Leader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Recruiter reaches out to you via linked in, followed by phone interview, video conference, and then finally an all day interview session in Novato

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Pretty straightforward

Senior Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

It was long interviewing process. No feedback for days at a time. Interviewer were always late during an interview.

Corporate Tax Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

There were initial interview questionnaire before the scheduled interview for a finance intern position. There were 6 questions that gauge your knowledge of the insurance industry, your leadership experience, why you chose your major, etc. The interview consisted was with 3 different managers or VP within the Finance department. They asked a variety of questions from what your hobbies were, when you had to change a policy or go against protocol, what your interest was for finance, what my accounting and technical skills were, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience when you had to change a policy.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation required for an internship position; however, they were flexible with the starting date since I am on the quarter system.

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance (Novato, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I was referred to FFIC by an actuary who had previously worked there for over 10 years and still kept in good contact with his colleagues there. The entire interview and hiring process was the quickest I've ever dealt with, although this was largely due to my use of another job offer as leverage.

The in-house recruiter contacted me via phone on a Tuesday. I had a phone interview with one of the actuaries later on that day. The phone interview was very positive. The woman I spoke with was very pleasant and extremely extroverted, especially for an actuary. Though she asked a few of your standard interview questions, the majority of our phone conversation was just that -- a conversation. It was at this point that I was already getting a great feel for the company.

Two days later, on Thursday, I went in for the live interview. The interview was scheduled from 10:30am until 2:30pm. I came in early as suggested, around 9:45am, in order to tour the campus and office with the recruiter. The day ended up going on until a little past 3:00pm. I met with 6 different actuaries and analysts, including the Chief Actuary, for about 30-45 minutes each. They all seemed to ask the same canned questions (not sure if this was intentional), though a couple of the more senior folks mixed it up by giving me little impromptu problems to analyze. Otherwise, the interviews were once again, just conversations between the interviewers and myself. All the people I met with were suspiciously sociable for actuaries at an insurance company. The interviews were an overall pleasant experience. The interview also included a lunch in the middle of the day.

The next day, Friday, while in a different city looking for housing for my original job offer, I got a call from the FFIC recruiter saying that they were creating an offer package for me. On Monday, I was given the offer details including salary amount benefits package. I accepted soon after without negotiating (see negotiation section for additional details).

Interview Questions

• Without leaving this room, how would you go about in estimating the number of ceiling tiles present throughout the entire campus?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Because I already had an offer from a competitor, I was able to use this as leverage for my starting salary. I expected low initial offer, which I had planned to counter offer with a higher amount, expecting to settle in between. However, they offered me my "in between" salary right from the get-go. Although I probably could have squeezed an additional 2000-3000, I decided the offer was fair for an entry level position and that I would let my work speak for itself.