Fireman's Fund Insurance

Relevance Date Difficulty

Finance Specialist Interview

Finance Specialist
Novato, CA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and three days later received a call to set up a phone interview for the next day. The recruiter called 30 minutes late for the phone interview and asked to reschedule to the following day. We reschedule the phone interview which lasted about 20 minutes and basically went over my resume and experience. During the phone interview I was offered an in-person interview for the following week. I had three one on one interviews about 30 minutes each. The recruiter called me the following week and said I was well-received, but didn't have the required 5-7 years of experience required for the position (the position didn't say it required 5-7 years experience and I don't have that experience so not sure why they interviewed me).
The recruiter said that there was another position opening up that I would be a great fit for, but the department was going though some changes so he would contact me the following week to set something up for that position. I never heard anything so I sent an email to the recruiter to follow up on the position. He never respond to the email and has not contacted me.

Interview Question – not difficult but interesting question... Tell me something about yourself that I wouldn't know from your resume   Answer Question

Administrative Specialist Interview

Administrative Specialist
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance.

Interview Details – The online application has some technical glitches, once through that process then the HR recruiter was pleasant and helpful. The entire process was slow going taking nearly one month for a job that I was told needed to be filled "immediately". After the phone interview with the recruiter, I was scheduled to meet with the hiring manager, another admin assistant and one other manager in the department. All were pleasant and positive about the company and clear about the role expectations.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Director, Strategic Initiatives Interview

Director, Strategic Initiatives
Novato, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in January 2010.

Interview Details – This was very organized. I was referred to the company and was contacted directly by a recruiter. She scheduled a time for a screening interview and that occurred the next day. She was very specific regarding the process that was to be followed and the company adhered to it. The company followed the process and overall it was a great experience.

Interview Question – I was changing fields, from retail to financial services, so some of the very specific questions were difficult for me to provide detailed answers to as the interviewer did not have a good understanding of the retail industry.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was swift and they accomodated my requests. The final offer was market competitive.

Solution Engineer Interview

Solution Engineer
Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted about 3 weeks after applying online. Had a preliminary phone screening where the HR said I was a really good fit and set me up for an in-person interview the next day. The in-person interview was about an hour long and was mostly asking questions about my resume or to explain a project. Couple of basic behavioural like what was your biggest failure/success.

Interview Question – Explain to me about your Senior Design project.   View Answer

Director Interview

Director
Novato, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in January 2009.

Interview Details – Straightforward. Several rounds.

Interview Question – Not difficult at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They did not have much room to negotiate

Senior Project Manager Interview

Senior Project Manager
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in April 2013.

Interview Details – Good communication from recruiter. Online application system is a bit remedial. Settings somehow supressed my application from recruiter. Had to sort of prove I'd already completed the process. Automated message to candidate includes attachment with instructions to manager. The poor automation quliaty here was a bit worrisome, but candidates should persist through this awkward phase. The rest of the company doesn't seem to operate this way.

Interview Question – I've never been asked about my "personal brand" before, in this kind of role.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The application process forces you to state a desired salary. They offered slightly less than I asked for on the application. I requested a compromise on a benefit and was given a different, but acceptable alternative. Honestly, I was so motivated to leave my former employer, I didn't fight very hard, but I got the impression the recruiter and hiring manager would have engaged fairly with me if I had. I think the critical part of engaging with anyone at FF is respect and openness to other's ideas. Don't be afraid to articulate your needs, but be careful to be extremely respectful as you do this. Entitlement isn't a job skill, here.

Finance Specialist Interview

Finance Specialist
Novato, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in July 2012.

Interview Details – The day after I submitted my application online I was contacted by the recruiter for a brief phone screener. That went well an I was offered the opportunity to meet with the hiring manager and two of his peers. There were all very friendly and welcoming. I was invited back for a final round of interviews with another of the hiring manager's peers and the group senior executive. Two or three weeks went by before I was contacted with an offer for the job

Interview Question – Straightforward behavioral, technical, fit and company knowledge questions - nothing was unexpected or difficult   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary offered was far below the industry/ regional standard for similar opportunities. There was no room for negotiation...

Assistant Actuarial Analyst Interview

Assistant Actuarial Analyst
Novato, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in November 2012.

Interview Details – Talked with the recruiter on the phone and was brought out to the campus for an in person interview a couple of weeks later. I interviewed with four people including the vice president, assistant vice president and two FCAS managers. I also took a tour of the campus with a senior actuary and had lunch with two peer's. Everyone was very nice and I loved their campus. They have a gym, cafeteria, dry-cleaning, and study room. The whole process took about four and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• They describe a golf course that gives a certain prize to players when they hit a hole in one. They want you to figure out what the premium should be on an insurance policy on the prize.   View Answer
  • Explain what is meant by the "Fiscal Cliff" so that third grader could understand what the big deal in the media is.   Answer Question

Senior Actuarial Analyst Interview

Senior Actuarial Analyst
Novato, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in July 2008.

Interview Details – Once you get on-site the process is fairly easy, but takes a day because you usually have to meet with multiple actuaries and analysts. The trick is to follow up until you get a phone interview and follow-up afterward to make sure you're moving ahead in the process. If they like you they will let you know what the hold up is.

Interview Question – Do you have any predictive modeling experience? (I was interviewing for a reserving job.)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a small increase in salary and they gave me a sign-on bonus instead.

Practice Leader Interview

Practice Leader
Novato, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Fireman's Fund Insurance in February 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter reaches out to you via linked in, followed by phone interview, video conference, and then finally an all day interview session in Novato

Interview Question – pretty standard in questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pretty straightforward

Interviews for Top Jobs at Fireman's Fund Insurance

Worked for Fireman's Fund Insurance? Contribute to the Community!