Firmenich

3.2

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Firmenich in February 2015.

All four interviews were over the phone with each interview occurring with a higher tiered manager. The interview process was fair, timely, and professional. The questions were straightforward and geared to identifying the candidate's motivation. There were no trick questions.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Firmenich.

Absolutely the worst interview experience ever.
    They decided not to interview me over the phone. They sent me a letter congratulating me on getting an in-person interview with five people and 200 pages of market research. My task was to analyze the research and to write strategy or strategies for the brand and come up with two creative concepts and to do it all in one week time. They allowed 30 minutes for the presentation. I am sure that folks who went to business school would "appreciate" that type of assignment. As I have never before worked for Advertising agency or Consulting firm, I have not gotten acquainted with that format for the first round of interviews.
    I decided to give the company benefit of the doubt and to do the work.
    Just to clarify and to be accurate with facts: I have an MBA and over ten years of experience in marketing. Firmenich sells the ingredients into the ingredient mixture that would be sold to the end consumer. Research was for one of the CPG companies that they sell their ingredient to. I never worked for either industry and it is pretty clear from my resume.
    In a few days-time I wrote the presentation with the usual: market segmentation, customer segmentation, analysis of current market condition, competition, company and company product and product positioning, SWOT analysis of the company and company brand and product lines, goals and strategies (4Ps) that came out of weaknesses and opportunities together with two creative concepts. I thought that they are looking to see how I think and analyze research and data. WAS I MISTAKEN!
    After presentation they asked me a couple of questions. From these questions I understood that one statement in positioning was not entirely accurate (I called the brand premium and they disagreed) and the strategy was not the one they would of went with - I proposed to extend product lines as there was a demand for it on the market (in the 200 page research and it was what competition was doing).
    Right after the presentation, they told me to go home as they thought "I am not a good fit for them".
    How bad my presentation must have been, if they decided not to give me time and consideration by interviewing me. It probably was (otherwise why would they dismiss me that inconsiderately?), but I am here not to analyze my performance, but to let you know of my experience.

Interview Questions
    • After my presentation, they asked me, if I went onto the company website - the one I presented about. From my perspective: I created half-an hour presentation with market,company and product analysis with pictures..etc. Was it obvious that I did?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Princeton, NJ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Firmenich in January 2014.

Initial contact with recruiter through job posting online. 1:1 interview with HR, four members of mgmt team (4 hours total). Back again for 1:1 with Sales Director and VP. Back one more time for 1:1 with director of another team and HR. Total was approx. 3 weeks. Interview technique was STAR based--BE PREPARED! I practiced for two days prior to first interview.

Interview Questions
    • What achievement are you most proud of?   View Answer
    I had another offer on the table at the time, but the benefits and career advancement far outweighed the $ at this company. It was a higher offer, and I didn't negotiate. Offer was fair. What this company offers is amazing compared to others I've worked for.

Associate Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Firmenich in September 2012.

FIrst got the phone call from the HR manager, after that scheduled a phone interview from the scientist from the lab working with.

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Firmenich.

Off-site meeting with hiring manager and HR

Interview Questions
    • Asked about my current employer's financial ratios - became highly irritated and did not believe the numbers because they were so different from his industry's ratios. He was also very irritated that my current employer did not set up back-up coverage at the plant in the same way that he did at his.   View Answer

Finance Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Firmenich in June 2011.

Interview questions are based on the concept of STAR, situation, task, action, result. Be prepared to based your experience off of this sequence

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you faced a difficult challenge   Answer Question
    they have set salaries, which at times are under market

Procurement Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

The process took a weekinterviewed at Firmenich in December 2010.

I had a phone interview with the HR person initially. It lasted about an hour. Basic questions were asked, pertaining to the job description, what my job responsibilities were at my last job, why I left each job, what I've been doing since my last job, etc. Then I was asked to come in for a face-to-face interview, at 5 pm. It was a panel interview with 4 people plus another on a speaker phone. They asked mainly behavioral questions, which didn't seem related to the job I was interviewing for, but rather related to the job I had last. It seemed I was asked a lot of plat-related questions, like what would I do if I saw someone doing an unsafe task in the plant. I was interviewing for a purchasing position, not a plant role. I know I would be interacting with those in the plant, but really.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do if I saw someone doing an unsafe activity?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Firmenich in May 2010.

The interviews were one on one with 7 different people. They seem like very nice people. They did admit that they have many operationals problems since going live on SAP.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plainsboro, NJ

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Firmenich in May 2010.

I first received an email notifying me that I was a candidate for the position and I should call to schedule a time for the interview. I had a 50 minute phone interview with an HR specialist where she asked general questions about my background. I was then asked to visit on site to interview with 3 other employees: the manager of the position (Account Manager), a manager at the same level (Account Manager), and a veteran project manager. The campus at Plainsboro is chic and contemporary, but I had a hard time finding it. Google map directions were completely wrong!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to solve a problem creatively.   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you sacrificed a short term reward for a long term goal.   View Answer
    • Tell me about how you have worked with people that have different views than you.   Answer Question

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plainsboro, NJ

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Firmenich in January 2010.

They ask a series of rigid questions. Instead of having an actual conversation, they would rather read off a piece of paper asking things such as, "give me a time when you", and "explain a time when you did X and what was the outcome". It comes across as insincere considering they are more interested in writing down the answers rather than look people in the eye and have an actual, personal interview.

Interview Questions
    • The repetitive questions all asking similar questions.   Answer Question
    They offered me a suitable hourly wage.