First American

2.5

Escrow Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First American.

Was told that the company was hiring an assistant for the downtown branch, an entry level office assistant to support the entire office. Sent my resume and received a call to interfere the following week. Meet the branch manager who started by saying that this may not be a completely fulfilling position it will teach me a lot and give me the opportunity to eventually make a great living. He asked what my salary expectations were and gave a number of what they are offering, which was decent. He also mentioned that bonuses could be frequent and increase the base amount significantly. After a few questions and mainly chatting about the company culture, I was put into an office to fill out an enormous amount of paperwork. That was overly ridiculous and repetitive.

Interview Questions
    I got a call two days later asking if I would like to start on Monday. The salary wad mentioned sorting the actual interview and was just told to be there at 8am Monday morning and to wear a tie. I didn't ask too many questions but came to realize that this manager was a stickler for showing up on time (i.e. you are late if you walk in at 8am, you should be at your desk working by 8am to be on time.)

IT Manager Interview

Extremely tenuous background check. I wish I had been as detailed in my research of the company. They told more lies than I thought possible during the interview process. This should be illegal.

I was able to negotiate additional sign on bonus, but unbeknownst to me, it would take a lot more than that to make working here desirable.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First American.

It was pretty easy. I applied for the position on line and got a call from the hiring manager. We talked for about 30 minutes and she advanced me to the next round, an in-person interview with her Manager, two members of her staff and herself.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. All of the questions were pretty typical for this role.   Answer Question
    They pretty told me what they would pay. There were unwilling to negotiate, but what they offered was in the range I was looking for.

Escrow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westlake, TX

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at First American.

Nice environment, everyone is nice.

Interview Questions
    No negotiating salary. Temp agency told you what you were being paid.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at First American in June 2013.

Was contacted by Human Resources and scheduled interview. Showed up to interview and was later offered the position. Showed up for work and went through a two week process of orientation and training.

Claims Resolution Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at First American in March 2013.

I was referred to this company by a friend. I found their posting on Craigslist.com and applied via the link posted in the ad. I was contacted the next day by phone for a preliminary phone interview, and was asked to come in the next day for an interview. I arrived for the interview about 10 minutes early and waited in the lobby for my interviewer. This woman was a different woman than I spoke to initially on the phone, but was informed that this would be the case. She took me to her office and we had a pleasant interview which lasted about 20 minutes. She asked fairly normal interview questions, some of which were specific to the company or position. When the interview was over, she informed me that she would pass my information along to her supervisor and would be in touch by the end of the day with the outcome of the interview. (They were starting a training class in a few days and were trying to follow-up as quickly as possible because of this.) I left the building feeling positive, and two hours later I received a phone call from the first woman I spoke with, and she offered me the job contingent on passing a background check. I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What is your definition of responsibility?   View Answer
    The base pay offered was an acceptable amount and negotiation did not take place.

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at First American.

Smooth process however, hiring manager, pretty high level was playing with his blackberry and kept staring at his watch during the interview and lacked listening skils. Everyone else was nice and professional. Seemed he may have brought in a cross section of candidates to complete HR survey of compliance vs. really being interested in me as candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Hiring manager indicates Beware of the 90 days - huh isn't that standard procedure ? Why mention it in an interview. Questions weren't difficult.   View Answer

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at First American in March 2012.

The recruiters are amazing. Management was during this phase as well, but be forewarned that they are extremely deceiving! Almost everything I was told during this process was a lie, down to the dress code. They exaggerated all of the positive points (i.e., we won best place to work, when in reality they won 33rd place).

Interview Questions
    • None. This interview was extremely easy. I should have asked better questions like specifics to make sure I really understood the truth behind it all.   Answer Question
    It was easy. They did give me what I asked for to start, but couldn't meet my salary requirements. They made alternate promises they couldn't keep.

Claims Resolutions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First American in November 2010.

Call from HR hiring manager to ask a few questions about your customer service perspective and to be provided with a vague explanation of the job duties. A sit down interview is set with a department supervisor, manager or the call center director, a computer aptitude test is taken. They ask about your ability to handle escalated calls.

Interview Questions
    The compensation was from a range and stated they based off of experience. Not very negotiable on what they felt your experience is worth.

Corporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at First American in May 2010.

Make sure you ask questions because that is what I didn't do and I feel it almost cost me the internship. However, the managers there are understanding and do what they can to help.