First Annapolis Interview Questions

3.4

Interviews for Top Jobs at First Annapolis

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at First Annapolis in November 2010.

Submitted resume and received an email requesting an initial phone screen the next day.
    The phone interview was a few days later and lasted 30 minutes (very general questions were asked - i.e., what makes a good consultant?)
    Shortly after the phone screen I was invited to the office for the final round of interviews
    Final round interviews lasted approximately 5 hours and were conducted by 6 individuals (1:1) representing a mix of consultants, managers, and principals/partners

Interview Questions
    • Run me through each line item, tab-by-tab, in a financial model   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Annapolis in November 2008.

Had a quick one-on-one interview at my school that was conversational and behavioral. That lasted about 20 minutes. I was then invited to Baltimore to interview with 5 employees, ranging from partners to relatively new hires. The interview questions varied from conversational "Tell me about yourself" types to case interviews and financial discussions ("Walk me through building a DCF"). I was not well enough prepared for the interview, and didn't hear back. I knew I wouldn't.

Interview Questions
    • There was a pretty straightforward business case about market sizing and sales, but I couldn't get to the heart of it in time.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Linthicum, MD

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Annapolis in January 2008.

I had a one on one interview on campus, consisting mostly of cases. The pressure was high. Typical MBA questions --> WACC and valuation. A few weeks later they invited me to their offices, along with about a half dozen of my grad school colleagues. Again, case questions. Only the partners have the latitude to interview you free form. In that case, they are looking for who they want to work with.

They invited MBAs were cool guys, by the way, none of the yuppy scum were either invited or interested. But... one other consideration: First Annapolis is far more interested in "mental horsepower" than they are the standard behavioral questions. And, I think that is right on. I mean, "Tell me about a time you exhibited leadership?" Really?

FAC people are very bright and very specialized. It will take you no time to be engrossed in the subject matter. Payments are ubiquitous and fascinating. And lucrative.

I wasn't a first pick, so it took them a few weeks to come back with an offer. I would feel free to contact the HR person. It is a very comfortable atmosphere, and you rank ten times higher than her once you start.

Interview Questions
    • How would you value a company funded solely by equity?   View Answer
    They make a standard offer, which can be negotiated up, but only marginally. Ask for more, but be gracious about it. 5-7% extra and you're done.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Annapolis in March 2011.

The selection process consisted of a phone interview, followed by a consulting day with 4 interview sessions of 45 minute duration each. The first discussion was with the partner, followed
    by 2 sessions with Sr Consultants and ended with an associate. Each interviewer touched upon
    the candidate resume and presented a 15 minute small case.

Positives:

The interviewers were personable and passionate about their work and the company
    They articulated well the value proposition of First Annapolis. One could observe a strong focus
    on collaboration and teamwork, which were elucidated with concrete examples. The hands - on
    consulting approach was substantiated with detailed project examples.

Negatives:

Two of the interviewers weren't prepared, lacked structure in discussions and often digressed from
    the topic. In a couple of instances opinions expressed weren't backed by facts which demonstrated
    poor consulting skills. I'd carefully highlight that this was w.r.t industry insights, while they may have
    been good at explaining projects.

The case presented by the Sr. Consultant was drawn from project experience, and it seemed the
    problem situation wasn't well thought out. The interviewer was unsure about numbers, and couldn't
    provide information in areas related to line of questioning.

Generally case interviews are followed by a detailed feedback discussion. This didn't happen at First
    Annapolis.

The partner mentioned First Annapolis' deal fee is a small fraction of that of a top strategy house, which wasn't a wise thing to be conveyed to an interview candidate. And of course the interviewers could have dressed in business formals.

Interview Questions
    • Card Company is experiencing issues with profitability. How would you approach this situation ?   View Answer

Consultancy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at First Annapolis in January 2011.

Interview was fairly standard, questions were unoriginal and of the "tell me about your CV variety". Most of the interviewers were pleasant, though did not appear fulfilled careerwise (one asked many questions about my current role as it transpired he wanted to move into Finance!) and others complained of having to do too junior work. One was extremely arrogant, which is surprising seeing this is a mediocre company with offices in the basement of a backstreet in Amsterdam.
    I was told that I would hear back from the company by the end of the week. I waited until the end of that week, and then another, and finally, seeing they didn't have the decency to call, I had to call them. They were not very forthcoming on providing feedback and appeared rather irked by this inconvenience.
    Overall, a 2nd rate consultancy firm that cannot be compared to the likes of Accenture, McK, Bain etc.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Annapolis in October 2010.

Very straightforward, phone interview with Senior Analyst asking about interest/personality/experience. In office interview consisted of a panel of about 5 interviews with people of varying statures in the firm. Very accommodating and overall a great interview experience. For a small firm, lots to offer.

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Annapolis in December 2009.

Good interview experience. Interviewers are determined in seeking direct and intelligent answers. All are friendly and respectful.

Senior Consultant Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Annapolis in January 2009.

Phone screen with HR --> phone interview with Partner--> fly in, full day affair with 8 or so folks of all levels.

Typical consulting company interview, but oddly spoke with Managing Partner/Director first. Obviously intelligent guy, case study, background, etc. Next on to varying degrees of personnel, case studies, behavioral, etc. Felt good about it, but later learned no offer because I was passionate about developing fresh analysts and consultants, and MD does not care for that!! I think that is a horrible philosophy, and am very greatful I didnt get an offer. I am an ex-McK, and even though they self-proclaim greatness over larger Tier 1 firms, they clearly lack in the human capital aspect of the game.

I dont want to bash this place, as some of the people I talked to were smart, but please be aware of their sink or swim, "in it for yourself" leadership mentality from the top down.

Interview Questions
    • COnsulting engagement around terribly run company, what do you do?   View Answer