First Citizens BancShares

Updated Jun 5, 2014

2.4

Senior Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 days - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in February 2014.

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at First Citizens in March 2014.

Interview Details – Multi interview process which takes up to 3-4 hours. You'll start with general, outdated and typical, questions from the person who greets you. You'll likely have to interview with a general manager type who asks the typical non-technological questions...the type of silly things you find in an interview.

You'll eventually graduate to a "technical" interview. This is where, if you're worth your salt in this industry, you'll probably want to change your mind. The interview consisted of being questioned on the basic process of a computer starting up, how it gets an address, resolves DNS and how they believe a web proxy should be setup. All entry level items with a few random Nexus questions thrown in with no follow up on the question after you answer it.

Last, you'll meet with a "VP" level manager who is extremely opinionated and very far removed from the actual technology but still makes low level decisions.

Interview Questions

This was a dead end for my career with my experience. They were looking for many years of experience, but someone who was ok being "stuck" in a middle layer tier doing operations.

Sales and Service Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares.

started as a temp job assignment that lead to a full-time position. my interview process was simply a phone conversation that lasted 10 minutes and asked if i was comfortable talking on the phone.

Interview Questions
    • how will you handle inbound phone calls? how will you handle potentially upset customers?   Answer Question

First Citizens Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in June 2012.

Best interview process. I applied or the job online and then was contacted by the recruiter. After the phone interview I was contacted by the hiring manager and scheduled a face to face interview. Once I went to the interview, I felt at hope the hiring manager was extremely helpful. I was hired in less then a month from the time I applied for the job to the final call stating that I had the job.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to sell the hiring manager a highlighter during the interview.   Answer Question
    The negotiation phase was easy and simple

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares.

Phone interview with team and then a face to face with management

No negotiations

Senior Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in January 2009.

Mandatory online application w/ resume and cover letter submission. Telephone interview. On-site interview. Offer

None

Supervisor Operations Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in December 2012.

I submitted the application online on a Thursday and recieved a call from the recruiter on Monday. She left a message and I returned the call on Tuesday. Asked if I was still interested and set up a phone interview for Wednesday. Got a call from the Manager on Thursday. Asked when would be a good time for me to come in for a face to face interview. Had the face to face interview on Monday and recieved an offer on Tuesday.

Interview Questions
    There was not a negotiation. I did not negotiate. The salary that was offered was very close to my ask and I gained 2 weeks of PTO.

Financial Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in December 2008.

First phone intervies with HR then in person with hiring manager. Then second in person with higher management

N/A

Information Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in May 2010.

After being laid off, two former coworkers had advised me that their earlier experiences working at First Citizens was poor. After having attended an interview there, I agree. The phone interview went very well, but later when I arrived (on time) for the face-to-face interview the hiring manager came out po'd about something. I later learned he was angry at his boss. The manager came into the interview with a negative attitude, and had a chip on his shoulder during the interview. I next interviewed with his boss, who was a loud mouthed, overly friendly, self-important blowhard. No wonder his subordinate was upset. A highly unprofessional experience, and a complete waste of my time. Never again. Also, HR probably needs to be outsourced. They are not a useful group. Additionally, they had me fill out extensive documentation with *alot* of personal information to be turned over to them as a condition to the face-to-face interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What was the best thing said about you on an evaluation?   Answer Question
    • What was the worst thing said about you on an evaluation?   Answer Question

Unprofessional, small-minded managers.

Engineering Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in December 2011.

All went well enough at first. I was on time, happy to be there, and psyched. Interviewers were professional and respectful face-to-face. The information exchange started off very well, however I began to notice some uncomfortable vibes, and one of the interviewers was very tense. It was plainly understood prior to the interview what my background was, but it became painfully apparent that they were actually looking for someone with more technical experience, though I was assured that this was not an issue prior to the interview many times.

I began to sense more scrutiny, however, it was not directly expressed. One comment was made about one of my work samples that seemed to suggest in a slight condescending manner to the other interviewer that it was a "typical" sample from this previous employer alright. It did not seem to matter that this was a quality sample of a technical document of another kind from a giant world class global corporation and it took a lot of work to complete it for customers.

Then, I was asked if I could create something that the interviewer seemed to consider very important, but it was using a very common software, and using industry standard symbology. Again, perhaps this meant I needed to be able to completely understand immediately about their technology, though that was definitely not what was expressed up front. I knew then, that this would be a problem.

We ended on a decent note after I plainly told them that I was interested in the position and the technology and felt that I could catch on and do the work, but wanted to know if they thought I could. They seemed to agree, however, the usual answer, we have other candidates to interview and we'll get back to your agency later.

The results of this interview were not a surprise, considering the technical issue, however, if they would have expressed it up front, it would have saved everybody some time. I wasn't that concerned about that. The last comment was that I was not chosen as well because I lacked enthusiasm and energy and the other candidate did. This brings to mind all kinds of possible internal problems, personality problems with the manager, and most likely an unprofessional environment. I am very confident on the other hand had the positive attitude as I should have had, I was attentive, had plenty of energy, alert, interested, happy and engaged in the interview process, but I've never mastered the art of being a disingenuous suck up. Comments such as this let me know that I could never trust this person and that there exists some maturity issues, that will improve with time hopefully. They had every opportunity to express any concerns otherwise.

I am an adult and this isn't my first rodeo. I don't know anyone that begs for a job, however, the feeling I got after those snarky comments that the manger thought I should have done just that--beg! After all, I was psychoanalyzed completely in an hour. I tend to walk in the middle of the road in terms of enthusiasm so as not to seem desperate. It is beyond me to think that some believe the interviewers aren't interested, so why would they waste their time. We also spend a lot of time preparing for the interview typically...this is serious business.

Another comment was made that they would like to keep me in mind, just in case they needed someone down the road should I be availabe. That was confusing and aluded to the fact that they didn't think I had the stamina for the job (after just meeting me for one hour), didn't particularly like me much personally though I was very respectful, open and hoping to be able to provide the best in class of anything...my attitude was great! My comment to them--too late! I am not subserviant or giddy. I don't work for people that devalue others like this, but at least I know about this group. Couldn't pay me enough to work for them. My profession is just that, a profession and just as important to me as theirs is to them. It's not just a skill. I have never considered any IT Engineer an object of awe, sorry...it's all a level playing field at work to me...a job is a job.

Personal Support Representative Interview

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Citizens BancShares in October 2010.

A phone interview will be conducted first...should the HR rep think your qualified you will be set up with another phone interview with the hiring manager. From there, if they still are interested, you will have a face to face interview. They give your typical behavioral interview questions.

I did not negotiate my salary, although, I should have. Of course, I was able to negotiate my start date. Nice company to work for overall; however, it is a bank and banks are notorious for not paying enough wages.

Worked for First Citizens BancShares? Contribute to the Community!