First Command

Updated Sep 14, 2014
Updated Sep 14, 2014

2.8

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Command.

The hiring process was a little awkward. The recruiting agent I dealt with in Fort Worth was a little unorganized, so it took a while to get the process moving. Once I started interviewing, it was relatively easy. No off-the-wall questions, but the company was definitely mostly interested in my network connections and how I could get an 'in' in the target audience, rather than my personal qualifications.

Interview Questions

After asking some individuals in my network, I heard the company had a reputation for being 'predatory' and that they actually got banned from many of the military base facilities. After hearing this, the hiring official only reinforced that reputation with comments of aggressive networking and by giving an example of a prospecting conversation. I declined after finding that my values conflicted with theirs.

Financial Advisor Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Command in August 2014.

Made an appointment for an interview at a veterans and spouses job fair. First interview was about an hour... mostly me asking questions. The you take a few online test. If you don't do crazy bad (personality test) they will set up a more detailed second interview. Very honest and tell you exactly what to expect.

Administration Assistant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Command.

Job expo discovery, followed by a group interview, then an individual interview where the advisor made an assessment of our comparability, background check with police fingerprinting, and finally job offering. The process was short and the start date was delayed according to if I had a clearance because without it I could not see client files.

Interview Questions
    • None were truly that difficult. Pretty standard questions. The advisor each assistant will be assigned to will participate in the process at some point to determine if they are a match since each team must function without outside support.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. The pay is very low. There are no benefits, in fact sick and vacation days don't begin accumulation until after 6 months of employment and they are only 5 days a year each. Some sort of IRA matching is provided after 1 year of employment, and some sort of gym membership reimbursement (only for a specific gym and location) is provided. The details of this were all very unclear and no written copy of these terms has ever been made available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, WA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Command in April 2014.

Initial Phone interview with HR, follow-up phone interview with HR, emailed assessment link, then meet local senior financial advisor

Interview Questions
    • Am I ready and willing to start my serier 66, 63, & 65 for securities sales and advising   Answer Question

Was seeking a different career path, have done this type of work post college.

Financial Analyst Interview

Extensive interview process. Several questions focused on behavioral past experience.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions: tell me a time when you didn't get along with a coworker what did you do? Tell me a situation like..... what did you do to overcome it?   Answer Question
    Offer was very competitive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Command in February 2014.

Contacted by District Advisor about an opportunity as a financial advisor, met with him individually. Most questions directed around your aptitude for sales and your exposure to a client basis. Also wanted to hear as many questions I had and spent most of the time answering the questions that I had about the company. Then I took an online assessment which analyzed my sales ability in the area. After that i scheduled a 2nd interview with the District Advisor and his boss, where there was directed more at answering my remaining questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Give me an example of when things did not go your way, and how did you react to that outcome/what did you learn?"   Answer Question

Offered a better opportunity.

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Command.

Initially I was contacted by recruiter. Then I have first interview. a week later called me for second interview. Then recruiter told liked me and like another candidate. So they were trying to find another position for either of us. Then never gave me an update. I call a week later, recruiter told me he will let me know and never told me what happened.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Command in September 2013.

phone interview, followed by online personality test and math/comprehension test, followed by interview at a local location. once accepted into Advisor Trainee status (AT), there is 3-4 month of taking tests and learning company process'.

Interview Questions
    • Are you able to spend the next 3 month without a paycheck?   View Answer

Financial Representative Interview

2 Phone screens. They ended up hiring someone who was already licensed.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected. Do research on the company before interviewing,   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at First Command.

My contact with First Command started at a Job Fair. I spoke with their representative but did not think the job would be a good fit for me because my background and interests were so different from the job there. I was contacted the following week for an interview/meeting with the Regional Director. The interview lasted about an hour. I was asked to complete some additional steps after the interview concluded, 1) apply online, 2) complete a financial plan and meet with an adviser already working with the company. The opportunities for advancement seemed limited. I sent a thank you note, and opted not to pursue the position any further.

Interview Questions
    • Basically the most difficult question boiled down to "are you prepared to start your own business, working 50 to 60 hours per week, at this point in your life?"   Answer Question
    • Would you have any problems using your personal network to start your network?   Answer Question