First Derivatives Financial Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2015

2.5

Financial Engineer Interview

Interview

Easy enough not too many demanding questions. Make sure that you know what the job is about. " interviews first one is very easy and second with the head of recruitment is a bit harder but if you know info about company and job it should be quite easy.

Interview Questions

• What do you bring to the company?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for First Derivatives

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview consisted of a logic test and two one-on-one interviews by members of HR. Logic test involved flow charts and following instructions to arrive at a solution, interesting but difficult to study for, different from any other logic test I have come across. Interviews were pleasant and fairly basic, no real technical questions, though did ask their share price. They seem to want you to be very interested in FD, and will ask questions about what you think the role entails and some background info on them, all on their website though so easy research. Focused on work experience and college/school grades. Also looking for people who are very willing to travel (at short notice) and learn new skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Quick 20 mins telephone interview from HR without any technical questions. Be sure you understand what the firm is mainly doing as an IT software company and show them that you are 100% available for frequent travelling. The whole procedure is very fast they do not need more than a week to answer back.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)).

Interview

telephone, two face to face interviews and a logic test. the whole process was very quick. the key is to not back down, they want young ambitious intelligent individuals who also have a personality and are willing to travel on a days notice. They will challenge you in the interview, make sure you know your cv inside out, be confident!

Interview Questions

• why should we pick you when there are more qualified people.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Rushed, group project which was pointless and not monitored for half of the time, logical test which most people struggled to get one answer correct and an interviewer who is more interested in belittling candidates.

Interview Questions

• What do you now about the company, what do you expect to be doing in the role, you may be asked a specific detail on the area you have applied for- if you have not answered fully you will be quizzed on why you bothered to turn up or asked did you do any preparation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was asked to schedule a telephone interview a few days later. It's quite a short interview, ~15 mins, with no technical questions involved. It felt more like an introduction rather than them ruling people out. They started with a quick run through my education history, work experience, other CV info. Then questions like "What's your understanding about what FD does?" and "Do you think that there are any specific skills that you picked up in education or work experience that would be beneficial to working at FD?". I think an important question for them is whether you would be willing to travel on short notice. They're probably looking for a definite yes on this one. I have two face-to-face interviews, a group assignment and logic test in their Newry offices up next.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions for the phone interview, just know yourself and some basic things about what the company does.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives in August 2014.

Interview

Easy recruitment process. I simply sent them my CV and then had two phone interviews. HR was a bit disorganised in that they did not start the interviews at the agreed times. For the first interview, after waiting 15 minutes I had to phone HR myself to kick the interview off! As for the questions they were very straightforward, centering around my motivation for applying for the role, what I can bring to the table and so on. The interviews were very short so my advice would be to make an immediate impact with your answers. Also they took two weeks to get back to me after my second interview, which I wasn't very happy with.

Interview Questions

• What skills do you think are needed to succeed at this role?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in August 2014.

Interview

Phone Interview - The majority of questions were very general. They wanted to know you knew about what exactly the company does, its history and locations around the world as well as a full history of your academic background.

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)).

Interview

I had 1 interview with a manager. This was not my manager in the end. Nothing difficult was asked. If you have done this kind of work before or worked in the finance industry you will know exactly how to answer. Negotiation over salary was done with HR. There was no "personality based" factor to dealing with HR prior to being hired.

Negotiation

They low balled me and I was able to get 30% more money from negotiating.

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

interviewed at First Derivatives (Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

Telephone Interview: Very relaxed, It was basically a run through of my CV. And then there were a few questions about why I wanted to work for FD. The interview was done by HR, so you can imagine that it was a surface level interview. The next step is a face-to-face interview to be done at their head offices.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you think that you are a good fit as an FD employee.   Answer Question