First Derivatives

Updated Oct 21, 2014
Updated Oct 21, 2014

2.5

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives.

I was contacted and hired within the same week. It was more of a formality since they knew who i was and what I did through word of mouth.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. I was a natural fit.   Answer Question
    very straight forward.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Initial interview was with HR and a few other Managers who were around the office. As most employees are on-site, not many analysts are at the office. Met with 4 different people. One told me that I did not have the front-end knowledge or experience she was looking for, so at least it was very transparent and straight-forward. Another manager walked me through a typical job and responsibilities, which was useful. It basically involved documenting systems from front end data entry through reporting responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected questions. The hardest was probably when I was asked to describe what front end products I am familiar with, as this was an industry change for me.   View Answer

I decided not to make the industry change from my current industry.

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at First Derivatives.

It was a phone interview for a graduate position as financial engineer. Very simple process. The interview lasted less than 10 minutes. Simple review of the cv whit some question about my education and what I knew about the company.
    They asked me if I studied informatics during my education.

Interview Questions
    • Which courses have you studied related to this position?
      What skills do you think are needed to succeed at this role?
      Tell me about your education?
        Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives in August 2014.

Phone Interview - The majority of questions were very general. They wanted to know you knew about what exactly the company does, its history and locations around the world as well as a full history of your academic background.

Financial Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives in August 2014.

Easy recruitment process. I simply sent them my CV and then had two phone interviews. HR was a bit disorganised in that they did not start the interviews at the agreed times. For the first interview, after waiting 15 minutes I had to phone HR myself to kick the interview off! As for the questions they were very straightforward, centering around my motivation for applying for the role, what I can bring to the table and so on. The interviews were very short so my advice would be to make an immediate impact with your answers. Also they took two weeks to get back to me after my second interview, which I wasn't very happy with.

Interview Questions
    • What skills do you think are needed to succeed at this role?   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

I had 1 interview with a manager. This was not my manager in the end. Nothing difficult was asked. If you have done this kind of work before or worked in the finance industry you will know exactly how to answer. Negotiation over salary was done with HR. There was no "personality based" factor to dealing with HR prior to being hired.

They low balled me and I was able to get 30% more money from negotiating.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Applied via the careers section on their website. Got a phone call asking whether I could complete an online programming test. This had some awkward questions like you'd see in Oracle's basic Java certification exams (e.g. identify errors that any IDE would highlight) but was ok overall.

This lead to a phone interview with a senior developer. It was quite brief - some questions around OOP principles, experience working with 3rd party libraries (especially test frameworks like JUnit), how to approach fixing a bug, etc.

The face to face interview was also quite straightforward. The format was a chat with a developer and a manager about my prior programming projects. Experience with DBs and finance concepts is a definite plus. There were also the usual questions about working in groups and demonstrating leadership.

The entire interview process took around 2 weeks but it was a month before I heard back about an offer, which I declined due to accepting a position elsewhere.

Interview Questions
    • Was there anything I'd previously studied that I thought the company could get into - this was tough without knowing a lot about what the company already does.   Answer Question

Took a position elsewhere.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives in June 2014.

Not a great experience overall. Offered position following multiple choice online test, technical phone interview, and 2 on-site interviews (same day 1 HR, 1 senior management). All seemed fine. Offer made, contract delivered. Some negotiation.

Then things got weird. Received automated looking email withdrawing offer. Called HR several times as one would but couldn't reach contact. Got HR callback next day from someone else who could only confirm offer was withdrawn and was not allowed to say why, informing me that decision made at C level in head office in Ireland using some internal workflow and ticketing system and that C level person responsible would be too busy to provide feedback.
    HR and others confirmed that although not common this does happen from time to time.

Eventually reached someone senior inside organisation and outside HR who apologised and said that another client project had ended and a lot of employees were idle so no new employees required.
    Had they said that up front, I would have understood, but the impersonal style in which they offered and then suddenly withdrew contract with no warning or explanation, coupled with the secrecy the decision was shrouded in did not seem particularly professional. Clearly it was problematic for me since I'd turned down other offers, plus the embarrassment of having to tell friends and family that I didn't have that particular new job after all.

My impression following interview was that this was a small, growing, professional company with a good reputation, and they certainly have some strong clients. Subsequently people in the industry with first-hand experience as former clients have said this outcome may have been for the best from my perspective. Up until the HR dealings at the end the experience was positive. I'd still recommend them as a potential employer, with a degree of caution.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing weird in the technical tests. If you know your stuff, you'll be fine. HR/management tests were informative and professional, acting as a decent screen and opportunity to discuss the role and company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

interviewed at First Derivatives in May 2014.

Telephone Interview: Very relaxed, It was basically a run through of my CV. And then there were a few questions about why I wanted to work for FD. The interview was done by HR, so you can imagine that it was a surface level interview. The next step is a face-to-face interview to be done at their head offices.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you think that you are a good fit as an FD employee.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives in March 2014.

Applied online through website, interview was standard no real hard questions and was quite quick. logic test was a tester but it's not an overall decider.