First Derivatives

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview Details – Initial interview was with HR and a few other Managers who were around the office. As most employees are on-site, not many analysts are at the office. Met with 4 different people. One told me that I did not have the front-end knowledge or experience she was looking for, so at least it was very transparent and straight-forward. Another manager walked me through a typical job and responsibilities, which was useful. It basically involved documenting systems from front end data entry through reporting responsibilities.

Interview Question – There weren't really any unexpected questions. The hardest was probably when I was asked to describe what front end products I am familiar with, as this was an industry change for me.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I decided not to make the industry change from my current industry.

Graduate Interview

Graduate

I applied online - interviewed at First Derivatives in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied on-line and was then invited to do an interview. The interview consisted of a test and then there were two one to one interviews. Human Resource staff were very welcoming and friendly and relaxed the whole atmosphere of the day and give a positive representation of the company.

Interview Question – Demonstrate a time you have shown organisational skills.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview Details – I had 1 interview with a manager. This was not my manager in the end. Nothing difficult was asked. If you have done this kind of work before or worked in the finance industry you will know exactly how to answer. Negotiation over salary was done with HR. There was no "personality based" factor to dealing with HR prior to being hired.

Negotiation Details – They low balled me and I was able to get 30% more money from negotiating.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Junior Software Engineer
Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview Details – Applied via the careers section on their website. Got a phone call asking whether I could complete an online programming test. This had some awkward questions like you'd see in Oracle's basic Java certification exams (e.g. identify errors that any IDE would highlight) but was ok overall.

This lead to a phone interview with a senior developer. It was quite brief - some questions around OOP principles, experience working with 3rd party libraries (especially test frameworks like JUnit), how to approach fixing a bug, etc.

The face to face interview was also quite straightforward. The format was a chat with a developer and a manager about my prior programming projects. Experience with DBs and finance concepts is a definite plus. There were also the usual questions about working in groups and demonstrating leadership.

The entire interview process took around 2 weeks but it was a month before I heard back about an offer, which I declined due to accepting a position elsewhere.

Interview Question – Was there anything I'd previously studied that I thought the company could get into - this was tough without knowing a lot about what the company already does.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Took a position elsewhere.

Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I interviewed at First Derivatives in May 2014.

Interview Details – Telephone Interview: Very relaxed, It was basically a run through of my CV. And then there were a few questions about why I wanted to work for FD. The interview was done by HR, so you can imagine that it was a surface level interview. The next step is a face-to-face interview to be done at their head offices.

Interview Question – "Why do you think that you are a good fit as an FD employee.   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Graduate Software Engineer
Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives in February 2014.

Interview Details – phone interview + assessment day with 2 face-to-face interviews, a logic test and a group exercise. No tech questions

What do you know about FD?
Why should we hire you?
Describe yourself in 3 words
Name our clients
Why do you want to work here?

Interview Question – What do you know about the capital markets industry?   Answer Question

Data Science Interview

Data Science

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at First Derivatives in March 2013.

Interview Details – A long drawn out process... applying from the UK meant Skype interviews

Data Scientist Interview

Data Scientist

I applied online - interviewed at First Derivatives in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for the position online and received an email back within a few days to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively straight forward, what does FD do? Why you want to work for FD? What experience do you have that you feel is relevant for this role?

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected really, fairly straight forward   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Financial Engineer
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied and got an invitation to telephone interview the next day. This was arranged for a few days later. The interview was a general scan of my CV etc which definitely tested my knowledge of the company but went well I thought. Within a day I had feedback and was invited to an assessment centre in the Newry office. All in all i thought this was a great experience and well organised. I was worried reading some reviews however I was very impressed throughout my time at the HQ office. The staff where professional and well organised. The entire interview process had a quick turn around from initial application - much better than other interview processes I have experienced so far.

Interview process was a mix of general 'get to know you' questions and some technical questions also. I'd advise to not have any holes in your CV as they were quite good at identifying periods where I was in between jobs etc. Despite being nervous I felt comfortable in the interview process - I left with a really good feeling about the place. And they have an XBox in the office!!

Interview Question – I would advise you do your research into the Delta Suite in great detail   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Placement Interview

Financial Engineer Placement
Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, and then had a telephone interview. The telephone interview was very straight forward. They asked me about my CV, course material and about why I choose First Derivatives.

I then got invited to an interview at their Newry Office. This lasted all day and consisted of two different interviewers seeing you separately. There seemed to be confusion as I was being interviewed for Software Engineer but my telephone interview I was being interviewed for financial Engineer.

They asked more in depth questions about my CV many of which were repeated. The experience I had with one interviewer was very relaxed but they basically told me that the company will be acquired within the next few years ( which in turn means there might not be any future career aspect).

Overall it was a good interview, nothing was too technical but the real killer was the aptitude test at the end. You were given exactly an hour, and not a minute over, and the questions were completely different from any I have had before.

Interview Question – the aptitude test.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at First Derivatives

Worked for First Derivatives? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Derivatives interview questions and advice. All 42 interview reviews posted anonymously by First Derivatives employees and interview candidates.