First Derivatives

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.5

Graduate Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview. Then a skype interview then another phone interview. Process took about 2 weeks. HR isn't always on top of things. For example, we had a skype interview but there was no way we could skype as no usernames or anything of that nature were exchanged.

Pretty standard interview, talk about CV, why FD etc. Research on FD and look at news.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives.

I was contacted and hired within the same week. It was more of a formality since they knew who i was and what I did through word of mouth.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. I was a natural fit.   Answer Question
    very straight forward.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Initial interview was with HR and a few other Managers who were around the office. As most employees are on-site, not many analysts are at the office. Met with 4 different people. One told me that I did not have the front-end knowledge or experience she was looking for, so at least it was very transparent and straight-forward. Another manager walked me through a typical job and responsibilities, which was useful. It basically involved documenting systems from front end data entry through reporting responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected questions. The hardest was probably when I was asked to describe what front end products I am familiar with, as this was an industry change for me.   View Answer

I decided not to make the industry change from my current industry.

Options Graduate Programmer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Quick telephone interview followed by a skype interview.
    Both interviews were with hr personell and very easy.
    the first interview lasted 15 minutes whereas the second lasted 30 minutes on skype.
    I was contacted shortly having passed the first interview, but no news for weeks having done the second.

Interview Questions
    • Any unexpected question. mostly related to previous academic and work experiences.
      Hr attitude was unbelivable. After the second interview I was said that I would have received an answer within 7 days. After two weeks of silent I send an email asking for news and nothing again. It took me 5 emails asking what was going on before getting a reply. The reply by itself was hilarious. It said that they didn't make me an offer cause there was no position that could suit my profile even if I applied for a specific position and I had passed 2 interview for the same position.
      I don't know nothing about the company but I really have no words for the hr.

Answer Question

Data Science Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at First Derivatives in November 2014.

Very quick turn around from my application online to scheduling my first telephone interview. This was impressive - some companies have kept me waiting for weeks fro any response so this was a breath of fresh air! HR where pleasant to deal with throughout. Initial telephone interview was relatively straight forward - however would recommend doing plenty of research into FD/product suite. And know your own CV inside out.

Next up was the face to face - i enjoyed this experience as i was able to get a look around HQ, gave me an idea of what to expect. Nice office and day was well organised. Very informative intro talk from Grad recruitment manager who answered any queries I had. Good overview of training, induction and what to expect from working on site. I was grilled on Big Data in one of my interviews which to be honest i struggled on. Logic test was deadly, no idea how i got on but it definitely shook people up. I left feeling excited about a career with FD, and luckily had a job offer in my emails 2 days later. I look forward to working here. Overall very positive interview experience.

Interview Questions
    Set contract for all grads

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives in November 2014.

I applied online and was asked to schedule a telephone interview a few days later. It's quite a short interview, ~15 mins, with no technical questions involved. It felt more like an introduction rather than them ruling people out. They started with a quick run through my education history, work experience, other CV info. Then questions like "What's your understanding about what FD does?" and "Do you think that there are any specific skills that you picked up in education or work experience that would be beneficial to working at FD?".

I think an important question for them is whether you would be willing to travel on short notice. They're probably looking for a definite yes on this one.

I have two face-to-face interviews, a group assignment and logic test in their Newry offices up next.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions for the phone interview, just know yourself and some basic things about what the company does.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at First Derivatives in November 2014.

Graduate position as financial engineer
    Logic Test > F2F interview
    Interview: I introduced myself. They asked me about my educational background. What do you know about FD? Logic Test was interested and they are very nice.

Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at First Derivatives.

It was a phone interview for a graduate position as financial engineer. Very simple process. The interview lasted less than 10 minutes. Simple review of the cv whit some question about my education and what I knew about the company.
    They asked me if I studied informatics during my education.

Interview Questions
    • Which courses have you studied related to this position?
      What skills do you think are needed to succeed at this role?
      Tell me about your education?

Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives in September 2014.

Interview process consisted of four stages. First stage was a short telephonic interview to match their requirements to my CV. Second stage was an online tech test (similar to Oracle certification questions but a much shorter duration) at your convenience and from home. Third and forth stages were on the same day at their HQ in Newry and consisted of an HR interview followed by a technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • Not certain if it was a genuine issue or simply an HR reaction test (I have experienced those in past interviews through my career), but the onsite HR interviewer asked me to detail my knowledge of their products and the company. I answered by providing detail relating to the tools the company used to develop their products (I had visited their website and read through the whitepaper information they had) and my understanding of the company domain. The HR interviewer pressed me for specific knowledge of the FD software (i.e. what do I know about FD product X) and that it was very concerning, that I didn't possess detailed knowledge.   Answer Question

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives in August 2014.

Phone Interview - The majority of questions were very general. They wanted to know you knew about what exactly the company does, its history and locations around the world as well as a full history of your academic background.