First Derivatives Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015
Updated Mar 19, 2015

2.5

Graduate Interview

Applied online and got a phone interview. Then a skype interview then another phone interview. Process took about 2 weeks. HR isn't always on top of things. For example, we had a skype interview but there was no way we could skype as no usernames or anything of that nature were exchanged.

Pretty standard interview, talk about CV, why FD etc. Research on FD and look at news.

Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Derivatives.

I was contacted and hired within the same week. It was more of a formality since they knew who i was and what I did through word of mouth.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. I was a natural fit.   Answer Question
    very straight forward.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Initial interview was with HR and a few other Managers who were around the office. As most employees are on-site, not many analysts are at the office. Met with 4 different people. One told me that I did not have the front-end knowledge or experience she was looking for, so at least it was very transparent and straight-forward. Another manager walked me through a typical job and responsibilities, which was useful. It basically involved documenting systems from front end data entry through reporting responsibilities.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any unexpected questions. The hardest was probably when I was asked to describe what front end products I am familiar with, as this was an industry change for me.   View Answer

I decided not to make the industry change from my current industry.

Finance Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

Interview is all about how much you know about them. The man who interviewed me got angry that I was the third person in a row who hadn't memorized a specific page on the careers website that was supposed to be for the job I was interviewing for(you would not know this was anything to do with the job from reading the page). The two interviews were very repetitive in some ways.
    The first interview is friendly and more about why you want to work for them, your grades and why you choose your course. The second is more intimidating and what you can give to them and why they should hire you. They want you to know exactly what you would be doing.
    The group project was easy but I found that for some of the list of things more information was needed.
    I found the assessment fun but others found it really difficult.. I like things like that though. There's no point stressing about it.
    They make a point about having a certain level in the leaving cert on the first page of applying, then ask for your points. They don't check these.

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives in March 2015.

I applied online for a graduate position, I was invited for a telephone interview which was straightforward really just a run-through of CV asking about my degree etc. After this I heard quite quickly that I was being invited for an assessment day. This involved two face to face interviews, the first in my opinion did not go well the man was quite hostile and almost looking down on me. The office was small and quite untidy which in a way was offputting. The second interview was with a woman who was so lovely, made you feel relaxed as soon as you walked in, really straightforward questions in a more suitable environment. I then had to complete a logic test which is so difficult but I've heard of people who got zero and still got a job offer so it may just be to throw you off. Finally had a group project which was observed, I had a really great group so it was enjoyable. Altogether I was there for around 3 hours. Awaiting news if I have received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What strengths did I gain through University and part time work that I could apply here.   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

Applied online for a graduate position as a Data Scientist. Received a response on the same day requesting a telephone interview. 3 weeks after the telephone interview, received an email requesting a Skype interview. Both interviews were with HR, each lasting about 10-15minutes. No technical questions asked, just standard questions. Asking about your CV, educational experience, what you know about the company, etc. Very pleasant experience.

Data Analyst Interview Interview

I applied online – interviewed at First Derivatives.

Applied online, received telephone interview within a week. Interview was quite casual, asking why we wanted to work in FD and generally about our CV.

After this, I was successful in getting an interview at their Newry Office. We had 2 interviews (one technical and one competency) and a logic test. I started with the technical interview first. Initially, the interviewer was quite pleasant, but when the interview commenced, he grilled me on several topics which I couldn't answer. When I couldn't answer he rudely questioned me as to why and how I couldn't answer them, which I found unnecessary. In hindsight, I believe this was a trigger reaction to see if I would buckle under pressure, but it didn't leave me with a good impression of the interviewer. At the end of the interview he told me he was unimpressed with my interview and that I HAD to do well in the logic test to even be considered for the role.

The second interview was quite pleasant and more casual than the previous. The logic test was next and required you to answer 11 questions. It was very difficult and you can not prepare for it beforehand.

Two days later, I received an e-mail about having a follow-up phone interview the following week. I accepted, and when I answered, it was the same interviewer I had for the technical interview the week before. He asked me questions I couldn't answer the week before, but I was able to answer them, having researched throughout the week. He then decided to ask me problem solving questions which were insanely irrelevant to the job role. One of the questions was "List 7 diverse uses of a duvet". He wouldn't accept my answers (warmth, relaxation etc), and terminated the phone call, saying I wasn't right for the role.

Financial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at First Derivatives.

telephone, two face to face interviews and a logic test. the whole process was very quick. the key is to not back down, they want young ambitious intelligent individuals who also have a personality and are willing to travel on a days notice. They will challenge you in the interview, make sure you know your cv inside out, be confident!

Interview Questions
    • why should we pick you when there are more qualified people.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at First Derivatives in February 2015.

Applied online. Received an email within a few hours to come for an interview. The interview was scheduled for about a month later in the Newry offices. There was a group of 8, we were split into 3 smaller groups. The first part of the interview was the two face to face interviews. The first was tough and the interviewer was somewhat intimidating. The second interview was held in a cramped room and involved general interview questions (college, why pick you for the role etc.) The next part was a logical test which you had 40 minutes to complete. This is a very difficult test which you can't prepare for. Then our group finished with a group exercise which was actually an enjoyable task. In total it took about 2.5 hours. Waiting for an offer as of yet.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Derivatives in February 2015.

We scheduled the phone interview by email and then received call from a woman around 5 minutes after our scheduled time. She quickly get into the questions. But for each answer, she would not ask further. After you answered, she quickly jump to the next question even if you did not explain anything or not answer the question.