First Derivatives

First Derivatives Options Programmer Interview Questions

2.0

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Options Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newry, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives in February 2012.

Online application is just basic details and CV submission.

This is followed by an inital screening interview by phone. This covered questions such as "What do you know about the comapny" and "Why do you want to work here" as well as basically going through the CV - all fairly predictable.

This initial phone interview was followed by face-to-face interviews at the company HQ. Two interviews were carried out back-to-back with one interviewer carrying out each interview. This whole process took about an hour and to be honest they did most of the talking - telling me about the company and the graduate programme etc. This was interspersed with questions but it was not a very formal, structured interview and both interviewers were from HR so there were no technical questions - it was all very relaxed.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for First Derivatives

Options Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kilkeel, Northern Ireland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Derivatives in April 2010.

I first had to call the company to be sure I was eligible to apply after e - mailing with no reply. I was told I could send on my application online. The next stage was a scheduled phone interview which was ok. I was asked what I knew about the company, what I knew about the grad. programme I was applying for, would I mind a lot of travel and learning about finance having come from a physics/maths background. That was great , easy, next I was offered to come up to Newry , NI for face to face and group interviews about a wk or 2 later. This started well with 13 or 14 candidates there we were put in groups of 3/4. Then we rotated doing face to face interviews and a group interview and finally a company presentation. first I started with 2 face to face 1 on one interviews , 1st with a woman then a man. the fist went well , v relaxed , I was just taken through my CV, she said she had no Q's prepared! I was asked things like why I chose my BSc,MS c and why I left my last job etc. Next I had the 2nd face to face , I was asked some of the same Q's (exact?!) , then a q about what I knew about their products and what I bring to the company with respect to these products. I set about answering this and was interrupted, actually this happened on a few occasions which really threw me off. Anyway I did well enough overall despite this and was told by this interviewer that i : "did well, you did very well". Finally , our group did the group interview , we were asked to discuss and come u[p with a plan together to how we would go about recruiting 10 top grads and experienced developers if we were in charge of a company. This group session was overseen by a girl who was 6 weeks into the graduate programme that we were appying for (you make up your own mind on that???). Any way I was sent an automated email the next day at lunch time, which I thought wasn't great given we were told all applicants who got to the final stage would be called by phone about heir offer/non-offer, but.......
    I went about emailing HR to get feedback on where I went wrong in these interviews( constructive feedback is v important to help with future interviews and applicants appreciate companies who do this, eg Bloomberg are v good for this , v professional ) . Any way I emailed twice with no reply so I ended up calling the company (twice BTW) . Finally an interviewer(not one of mine) got back, he said it was not their policy to give feedback but he would take exception , given my persistance (ie. if ignoring you did not work....) . He gave a vague descript. that ruled out the group part being the reason and also stated I mentioned a certain salary that was "way" above that given to grads. (I was pressed in 2nd one to one for this, and just quoted a no. but stated I knew what the fixed salary was and was happy with that) . I replied stating something along these lines, and he failed to reply.... Over all a terrible experience for me , v v unprofessional company - DO NOT waste ur time with them! Go elsewhere! I have interviewed for many companies and have never been treated as badly as this. Given the time (Cork - Newry and back in a day ), money and prep. I put into it , and not even receiving constructive feedback I thought was v v POOR !!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about our products and what can you bring to the company with respect to these products.   View Answer

Worked for First Derivatives? Contribute to the Community!