First Investors Corporation Financial Representative Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2014

2.5

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

I applied through my university's career services website and received a phone call from the regional recruiter the next day. He asked some basic questions about your background and then asked me to come to the office to meet the manager the next day. About 10 other applicants were there. We were asked to introduce ourselves (be ready to have a good answer) and we were given a power point presentation about the company and their philanthropy (pretty cool).

After the presentation we were pulled out one at a time for a 1-on-1 interview. I was asked basic questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to be a financial advisor? What do you want to work here? I was then asked to come back the next day for another interview. I was given a worksheet to fill out with 4 questions and was told to bring a business plan.

The next day I arrive and there were 5 of us. Here, we were given the break down of their trainee program and compensation. It comes out to about 2k per mo. for the 9 months and after week 6 you can make a little commission on top. After the 9 mo. you are considered a contractor and 100% commission. That's rare compared to the other places I have interviewed with exception to EJ. You are asked to take care of the exam fee but you're reimbursed. Halfway through we were asked to tell them something that wasn't on our resume and background.

After that we watched their company video (same one glassdoor has posted on their info page btw) and taken back out on a 1-on-1. Here I turned in the questions they gave me and business plan. Asked what time I worked as a team where there was a problem and I solved it. Time I worked on the phone with a customer and achieved the goal. What is your long term career goal. Why do you think you're a good fit. If offered the job what would you say. After the interview I was told they'd call me the next day with their decision!

Interview Questions
  • What are your long term goals besides making lots of money?   Answer Question
No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for First Investors Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Job fair at college, process took about a week. Got a call requesting an interview. Email followed with details. Group interview/ long presentation followed by 1-1 break out interview. Group meet the next day with few people filtered out and another 1-1 breakout interview. Offered the position and really didn't see a future with it.

Interview Questions

Really didn't appeal to me. Its hard to want to sell financial plans to your friends and family, all for commission, with no base pay. Didn't see myself going anywhere with it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in July 2014.

Applied online. Received a phone call from a recruiter to come in for an interview. I did not expect there to be other candidates present, there was a small group of other candidates. There was a presentation about the company that lasted for more than an hour. Then they pulled us out individually for 1 on 1 interviews. These 1 on 1 were very short. Maybe a little over five minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Generic for the most part. Why do you want to work in financial services?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you planned every detail of a project and how it was successful or not.   Answer Question

I got invited to a second interview but I declined, scheduling conflicts.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

I met the recruiter at a job fair. They will send you an email to come in for an interview. The first interview is a group interview. They ask you very basic questions. They give you a presentation for about an hour then you do a one on one interview.

Interview Questions

Conflict with my masters program

Financial Representative Interview

The are very quick to reply to any applications and seem to be hiring constantly. The first interview was basically a large group based affair where they sell you on the company and the opportunities available. Got invited back to a second interview quickly. Decided not to go as I learnt more about their business model which I find personally to be predatory and not for me.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particularly interesting or unusual or difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lombard, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in February 2014.

I applied online on a Monday evening. The recruiter called me back on Wednesday morning to set up an interview for the following Wednesday at 10AM. I then did some research on First Investors and was concerned about some of the comments I saw. So I called the recruiter back to ask about the position more and the benefits. I asked specifically if this position is a contract position or a full time hire position with full benefits. The recruiter told me this is a full time hire position with a salary and after my third month I would be eligible for full benefits including medical, dental, 401k, etc. I explained that I just wanted to ask as I saw the different Financial Services Representative position - the recruiter advised me that is for a different position and that was not the case for the position I had applied to. She also told me the person I was meeting with is looking forward to meeting with me and she appreciated my calling to ask these questions.

I showed up on Wednesday to the interview to find myself placed in a room with 10 other interviewees. The head of the office came in and introduced himself and the first thing he said was this is not an interview just so you all know. They also handed me a pamphlet hand out and folder with the information. In the letter in the hand out, it said you have been selected in a detailed search for this interview. It also said in the pamphlet that this is a contract position and it was for the Financial Service Representative position (different than what I was told and for what I applied for).

After about 10 minutes of the head of the office speaking about the nothing related to the position - he was talking only about the history of the company and was asking us questions like, "do you know what a Financial Planner does?" Shortly after, another guy in the room got up and walked out, and I did so as well. The conductor of this "interview" did not even seem to care or bat an eye. It seemed as if this was commonplace.

Overall - this company is a complete and absolute farce. They flat out lied to my face and the recruiter was an absolute fraud. This is unacceptable and no reputable company would ever lie to potential hires.

Whatever you do, do NOT apply to this company or have anything to do with them!

They are an absolute disgrace of a company!