First Investors Corporation

1.9

Financial Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in January 2009.

I emailed the district manager for the position that was posted through my school's career center. The receptionist called me in to schedule an interview. At the 1st interview there were 6 people total including me. While filling out the application, we were told that there was only 1 available position they would be hiring for. They said they would be interviewing throughout the week. If they thought we had potential and would be a good fit for the position, we would be invited back for a 2nd interview. The 1st interview is about 2 hours. They go over the position, company visual, and things of that nature. Each person is called out of the conference room individually to interview with 1 on 1 with a supervisor. I was invited back for a second interview. While I was finishing up my application there was another group of 6 people coming in to interview after me. When I came back for the 2nd interview there was only 3 of us. Again, it was 2 hours. Through power point we went over the expectations of the position, more information on the company, and a couple of scenarios on how an appointment could look like and what kind of commission we could expect from making certain recommendations. Even though they go over the commission and bonus schedule this all seemed unclear to me at the time. All these concepts were new to me and it seemed as if they were speaking a different language and I didn't fully understand how much I could get paid since everything depends on to what kind of business you issue, how large the investment is, and what position you are in. We were then asked questions about the company as a group. After, we were called out of the conference room to interview with a 2nd supervisor. The questions were tough. I wasn't sure when he would stop asking me questions. Finally, it ended and I was told they would make a decision that day and if I was chosen, I could expect a call around 6-8 pm. I was proud of myself for making it through both interviews since I prepped pretty hard for them. I had a positive interview experience, except that they were both so long.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to define what a financial advisor was.   View Answer
    There was not much to negotiate. It was pretty straight forward. I received the call around 6 pm; I initially thought I didn't get the position judging by his tone and choice of words. I was then told I was chosen and congratulated. Not knowing what to say I told him I would gladly accept the position. The only advice I have is know what you are getting yourself into. This position is not for everyone. It's a lot of hard work with getting paid straight commission. Even though they paint this pretty picture of how you can have all this free time and flexibility in your schedule, you won't unless you stick with it and become successful. Surviving long enough to make it there is the hard part. They say they'll help you out with flex pay, but even this has rules, high expectations to get it, and limitations on it. I suggest if you want to accept this position, you better make sure you'll be able to survive financially without an income for a while or have a 2nd job.

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in December 2010.

I applied on monster.com, and a week or so later was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. When i arrived to the office, there was 15 other candidates there all taking part in a group interview. Everyone was under the impression that it was a solo interview until we arrived. They did a half hour presentation outlining the job and pay. then we were pulled out one by one to do an exit solo interview. they are looking for outgoing people, so if you smiled alot and talked alot you were then asked to come back the next day for another group interview. The same process happened with about 5 people this time. We were pulled for exit interviews and i was told to come back the following day for a individual interview with the division manager. When that interview was finished i went home and later that night got a call telling me i was chosen for the position.I was asked to Provide 3 signed references by the weekend. They do a lenthy background investigation, where the last 10 years must be accounted for, and they also send employee letters to all your past employers. I later found out they interview 35 people in order to select myself. I felt very honored, until i started the job. My fist day i walked in the door to discover they hired 2 people, not just myself, and on top of that they were conducting another group interview that day.. another batch of 35 suckers. FIrst investors corp. hires all the time. Any fresh college grad who seems extremly outgoing and motivated will get the job. Im now on my second week there and am honestly considering quitting. Once your hired they ask you to put up over $750 in fees, and pay you nothing. your required to work 3 days a week for 7 hours a day, again with no pay. YOu spend about 2 months studying 500 pg text books, so you can obtain your licenses. NO PAY until you get the liceses. it is a Straight commissin job, and you have to bust your ass. 60 hours weeks are a must. THere is a positive side tho. If you can dedicate 3 years to gaining clients, then you might be looking at a 6 figure salary. I was told 1 in 7 will make it to see the 2nd year.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. If your get through the 3 interviews your probably so excited that you then become willing to do anything asked of you.

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

I applied through my university's career services website and received a phone call from the regional recruiter the next day. He asked some basic questions about your background and then asked me to come to the office to meet the manager the next day. About 10 other applicants were there. We were asked to introduce ourselves (be ready to have a good answer) and we were given a power point presentation about the company and their philanthropy (pretty cool).

After the presentation we were pulled out one at a time for a 1-on-1 interview. I was asked basic questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to be a financial advisor? What do you want to work here? I was then asked to come back the next day for another interview. I was given a worksheet to fill out with 4 questions and was told to bring a business plan.

The next day I arrive and there were 5 of us. Here, we were given the break down of their trainee program and compensation. It comes out to about 2k per mo. for the 9 months and after week 6 you can make a little commission on top. After the 9 mo. you are considered a contractor and 100% commission. That's rare compared to the other places I have interviewed with exception to EJ. You are asked to take care of the exam fee but you're reimbursed. Halfway through we were asked to tell them something that wasn't on our resume and background.

After that we watched their company video (same one glassdoor has posted on their info page btw) and taken back out on a 1-on-1. Here I turned in the questions they gave me and business plan. Asked what time I worked as a team where there was a problem and I solved it. Time I worked on the phone with a customer and achieved the goal. What is your long term career goal. Why do you think you're a good fit. If offered the job what would you say. After the interview I was told they'd call me the next day with their decision!

Interview Questions
    • What are your long term goals besides making lots of money?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in May 2013.

First we watched a video, then we did an initial interview and essay responses. Then I came back for an interview with the team. There was a shadowing phase and a personality test to see if I was a good fit for the job.

I didn't negotiate.

Account Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in June 2010.

I was originally contacted by First Investors through Jobing.com. I decided to take the interview and see what it was all about. The interview process was very rapid. The first day consisted of an hour long presentation/about First investors/interview followed by a short 15 minute 1:1 interview. If you get the second interview expect to come back for a repeat of the same, only longer. The interview really felt like they were selling you how great, easy and fun it is to sell life insurance.

Interview Questions
    • What is something your friends would say is a negative about you?   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in March 2010.

Interviewer was pleasant, but mentioned that they were having trouble hiring people who soon decided that they did not want the job after all. That sent off a little bit of a red flag, and after doing further research online I decided not to pursue the process further.

Interview Questions
    • What other financial investment firms have you been in contact with?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in March 2010.

I had heard about this company from the university that I just graduated from. I sent in my resume and received a call that the company wanted to interview me. I came in the first day and the person who was presenting was super energetic and quite motivating to listen to. He gave us a background of his career and talked to us about the company. Then I was pulled out to interview with someone one-on-one so they could get to know me better and to see what some of my career goals are. The first day of the interview took a few hours. Then I was asked to come back to a second interview the next day. I decided to check it out. The next day also lasted a few hours and we went over in more depth of what the position is all about and what we get paid if we are hired. We also went over the bonus schedule - which I was really motivated about after we went over it. Then like the day before, I had another one-on-one interview with more in depth questions about myself. I went home - felt that I did a pretty good job during my interview. But still wasn't sure how it went in the end. Later that evening I was called at my home and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't a whole lot to negotiate. I told him that I needed to think about the offer for the rest of the evening and that I would call him the next day with my answered. The next day I called and accepted the job!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in August 2011.

Two interviews, first one is a general overview of company. Second interview is more detailed in pay structure and how that works. After two interview sessions you are either offered or not offered.

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in October 2010.

Initial interview is as a group. The top few applicants will be called back for a 2nd interview 1-on-1 with the manager or assistant manager. The top person will be offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • They asked ethics related questions and why I thought I'd be right for the job.   Answer Question
    You are hired as an independent contractor which means there is no salary so there is no negotiation about time off or pay. Legally you could probably take as much time off as you want, but you won't set appointments which means you won't make any money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canonsburg, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canonsburg, PA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in March 2009.

A waste of time. Just like all the other Insurance/Financial Security sales firms. Promises of high five/low six figure incomes like it required no effort at all. All comission with no benefits, expenses, etc.

They talk about teamwork, excellence, etc but it all seemed like a lie. It started out as a group interview where they went around asked us to introduce ourselves and talked about previous job experiences. Then we had a 1:1 interview.

I wasn't going to be hired as several of the other candidates in the room were laid-off financial planners and mortgage lenders who still had their contact lists and I'm still a college kid.