First Investors Corporation

Very Difficult Interview

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative
Pasadena, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in January 2009.

Interview Details – I emailed the district manager for the position that was posted through my school's career center. The receptionist called me in to schedule an interview. At the 1st interview there were 6 people total including me. While filling out the application, we were told that there was only 1 available position they would be hiring for. They said they would be interviewing throughout the week. If they thought we had potential and would be a good fit for the position, we would be invited back for a 2nd interview. The 1st interview is about 2 hours. They go over the position, company visual, and things of that nature. Each person is called out of the conference room individually to interview with 1 on 1 with a supervisor. I was invited back for a second interview. While I was finishing up my application there was another group of 6 people coming in to interview after me. When I came back for the 2nd interview there was only 3 of us. Again, it was 2 hours. Through power point we went over the expectations of the position, more information on the company, and a couple of scenarios on how an appointment could look like and what kind of commission we could expect from making certain recommendations. Even though they go over the commission and bonus schedule this all seemed unclear to me at the time. All these concepts were new to me and it seemed as if they were speaking a different language and I didn't fully understand how much I could get paid since everything depends on to what kind of business you issue, how large the investment is, and what position you are in. We were then asked questions about the company as a group. After, we were called out of the conference room to interview with a 2nd supervisor. The questions were tough. I wasn't sure when he would stop asking me questions. Finally, it ended and I was told they would make a decision that day and if I was chosen, I could expect a call around 6-8 pm. I was proud of myself for making it through both interviews since I prepped pretty hard for them. I had a positive interview experience, except that they were both so long.

Interview Question – I was asked to define what a financial advisor was.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not much to negotiate. It was pretty straight forward. I received the call around 6 pm; I initially thought I didn't get the position judging by his tone and choice of words. I was then told I was chosen and congratulated. Not knowing what to say I told him I would gladly accept the position. The only advice I have is know what you are getting yourself into. This position is not for everyone. It's a lot of hard work with getting paid straight commission. Even though they paint this pretty picture of how you can have all this free time and flexibility in your schedule, you won't unless you stick with it and become successful. Surviving long enough to make it there is the hard part. They say they'll help you out with flex pay, but even this has rules, high expectations to get it, and limitations on it. I suggest if you want to accept this position, you better make sure you'll be able to survive financially without an income for a while or have a 2nd job.

Very Difficult Interview

Advisor Interview

Advisor
Philadelphia, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in December 2010.

Interview Details – I applied on monster.com, and a week or so later was emailed and asked to come in for an interview. When i arrived to the office, there was 15 other candidates there all taking part in a group interview. Everyone was under the impression that it was a solo interview until we arrived. They did a half hour presentation outlining the job and pay. then we were pulled out one by one to do an exit solo interview. they are looking for outgoing people, so if you smiled alot and talked alot you were then asked to come back the next day for another group interview. The same process happened with about 5 people this time. We were pulled for exit interviews and i was told to come back the following day for a individual interview with the division manager. When that interview was finished i went home and later that night got a call telling me i was chosen for the position.I was asked to Provide 3 signed references by the weekend. They do a lenthy background investigation, where the last 10 years must be accounted for, and they also send employee letters to all your past employers. I later found out they interview 35 people in order to select myself. I felt very honored, until i started the job. My fist day i walked in the door to discover they hired 2 people, not just myself, and on top of that they were conducting another group interview that day.. another batch of 35 suckers. FIrst investors corp. hires all the time. Any fresh college grad who seems extremly outgoing and motivated will get the job. Im now on my second week there and am honestly considering quitting. Once your hired they ask you to put up over $750 in fees, and pay you nothing. your required to work 3 days a week for 7 hours a day, again with no pay. YOu spend about 2 months studying 500 pg text books, so you can obtain your licenses. NO PAY until you get the liceses. it is a Straight commissin job, and you have to bust your ass. 60 hours weeks are a must. THere is a positive side tho. If you can dedicate 3 years to gaining clients, then you might be looking at a 6 figure salary. I was told 1 in 7 will make it to see the 2nd year.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation. If your get through the 3 interviews your probably so excited that you then become willing to do anything asked of you.

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in May 2013.

Interview Details – First we watched a video, then we did an initial interview and essay responses. Then I came back for an interview with the team. There was a shadowing phase and a personality test to see if I was a good fit for the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle rejection?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in July 2013.

Interview Details – First interview is a group interview/ company presentation with about 10 other people that will last over an hour. Then after the presentation they pull you out one by one for a one-on-one interview with a senior manager mean while you wait you are stuck making small talk with about 9 other college-grad hopefuls.

After a few basic questions about your resume and personal attributes they ask you who you know that you would feel comfortable approaching to sell insurance to and what type of marketing plan you can come up with that will help you succeed. I was asked to come back for a second interview the next day but when I asked if there was any other available dates I was immediately told I would be contacted if they still wanted me to come in at a later date. A month later I got a call to come back. But at that point I had moved on.

Interview Question – What past experience or personal quality will help you be successful in this type of working environment?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website. Got a phone call from the regional recruiter, asked few basic questions about why you chose the company. Then you will set a date for the first interview with the specific location office. First interview was a group interview which the division manager talked about backgrounds. Then you will get to second round. Manager will call and set another date, ask him/her what you will need to prepare they will give you a heads up. Do your homework and most likely you will get an offer.

Interview Question – Marketing plan   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the type of job I wanted.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview Details – Went in to a career fair, handed in my resume, and was contacted a few days later to come in for an "interview." It was just a meeting with other potential interns to talk about the company and what it does.

Interview Question – What are some short-term goals?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in August 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews, first one is a general overview of company. Second interview is more detailed in pay structure and how that works. After two interview sessions you are either offered or not offered.

Interview Question – What was your biggest failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Phila, PA

Interview Details – recruiter called and then set up phone interview with manager. then asked to come interview in person.

Interview Question – why i wanted to work for the company   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – wasnt what i thought position would be like.

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative

Interviewed at First Investors Corporation

Interview Details – The first round of interview consists an hour long presentation with a group of interviewees in an attempt to sell the company. Then the group splits into individual interviews. Typical behavioral questions such as what motivates you? What are your strengths and weaknesses. If you make it to the second round, the same exact process is repeated. Again with another presentation, this time more effort in selling compensation. Group separate in to one-on-ones. Decisions made almost right after the second round finishes.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual.   Answer Question

Registered Representative Interview

Registered Representative
Phoenix, AZ

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in October 2010.

Interview Details – Initial interview is as a group. The top few applicants will be called back for a 2nd interview 1-on-1 with the manager or assistant manager. The top person will be offered the position.

Interview Question – They asked ethics related questions and why I thought I'd be right for the job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You are hired as an independent contractor which means there is no salary so there is no negotiation about time off or pay. Legally you could probably take as much time off as you want, but you won't set appointments which means you won't make any money.

Interviews for Top Jobs at First Investors Corporation

Worked for First Investors Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

First Investors Corporation Videos

First Investors Corporation – Why Work for Us?

First Investors has been serving the financial needs of people from all walks of life since the Company was founded in 1930. Using a face-to-face approach to investments and life insurance, our team of registered… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Investors Corporation interview questions and advice. All 151 interview reviews posted anonymously by First Investors Corporation employees and interview candidates.