First Investors Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Oct 20, 2014
Updated Oct 20, 2014

1.9

Financial Services Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at First Investors Corporation in February 2014.

I found out about this job through a recruiting website. I applied and got an email to schedule a phone interview a couple of days later. After the phone interview, I sat down on two personal interviews with two of the managers; each lasting about an hour and a half.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you think you can do well in this business?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at First Investors Corporation in September 2014.

the application was very easy. they contacted me the next day for an interview. didn't like the job. it's a group interview at first then individual. The salary is not good for somebody that has a bachelors degree. it's 25,000 a year for the first year then 100% commission.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at First Investors Corporation in June 2014.

I applied online for the LA office and heard back within a week or so from HR. The HR person gave me the wrong date to go to the office, so I showed up and no one was expecting me. About a week later, I showed up on the correct day for my interview. In total, the first interview lasted about 2 hours and 15 minutes. For the first 2 hours, a group of potential candidates listened to managers speak about the company and give a general description of the position. They did a great job of selling themselves and the company but didn't seem very interested in learning about us, their potential employees. The last 15 minutes involved the managers pulling each candidate out for a one-on-one interview. Here, the questions were pretty standard interview questions. After a brief conversation, I was then asked to come back for a second interview the next day. Interview number two was more of the same. This time, a smaller group of candidates met with one of the heads of the LA office and heard more about the position and the company. After about an hour and a half of being educated on the company, we then met one-on-one with an office manager. This one-on-one interview was also very standard and brief. Later that day, I received a call and was offered the position. I accepted their offer and was set to start 2 months later.

On my first day, I, along with two other new Financial Service Reps, filled out the standard paperwork and was acquainted with key supervisors throughout the office. At the end of my third hour of being in the office, we were set up in front of computers and instructed to begin studying the necessary materials for selling life insurance. Once I had completed setting up my online profile, I was asked for my credit card information. Confused by this, I approached an office manager who then explained to me that it would cost over $400 to get the necessary licensing. I was expected to give the money up front and they would reimburse me within a few business days after I was licensed. This caught me entirely off guard because during the interview process I had been told repeatedly that First Investors Corp. covered any and all licensing fees. It had never been mentioned to me that I would need to initially front the money.

Because I didn't have the nearly half a grand immediately available to me, I was sent home early because there was "nothing more [they] could do for me until [I had] the funds available to proceed." The whole experience was very disconcerting and I felt that I had been nearly tricked into some sort of shady pyramid scheme. I decided to resign my position in favor of other, more transparent employers.

Interview Questions
    • What do you expect will be most difficult about this position?   Answer Question

Financial Services Representative Interview

Group interview then personal interview. It is a total scam. No base salary, 100% commission. Good luck surviving on $5K/year. They try to convince you that the company is great but they will tell you to go sucker your parents into getting insurance that they don't need and then will pay you terribly. AVOID.

Total Scam.

Financial Services Representative Interview

The interview process is very exciting. They showed the risks and rewards of different professions, and how the reward far outweighs the financial risk of beginning a career as a Financial Services Representative. The interview was very personal since it is a very personal career path, and it really gave me a chance to stand out among other potential hires.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't any difficult questions. The most difficult thing for some potential hires might be that they have to let their personality out in a professional environment and have good oratory/public speaking skills   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online – interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview was very vague and most of it comprised of boasting about their company and very little time spent getting to know the candidates. First a group session explaining the company products followed by a break out session where individual candidates were "interviewed".

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected really. Just asked if you have a big network of friends and family to sell their products to   Answer Question

Didn't see myself selling their products to my friends and family

Manager Trainee Interview

went on two interviews, it was for an entry level job so the questions were pointed towards how someone will fit in and whether they can pick up things quickly...

Financial Representative Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

I applied through my university's career services website and received a phone call from the regional recruiter the next day. He asked some basic questions about your background and then asked me to come to the office to meet the manager the next day. About 10 other applicants were there. We were asked to introduce ourselves (be ready to have a good answer) and we were given a power point presentation about the company and their philanthropy (pretty cool).

After the presentation we were pulled out one at a time for a 1-on-1 interview. I was asked basic questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to be a financial advisor? What do you want to work here? I was then asked to come back the next day for another interview. I was given a worksheet to fill out with 4 questions and was told to bring a business plan.

The next day I arrive and there were 5 of us. Here, we were given the break down of their trainee program and compensation. It comes out to about 2k per mo. for the 9 months and after week 6 you can make a little commission on top. After the 9 mo. you are considered a contractor and 100% commission. That's rare compared to the other places I have interviewed with exception to EJ. You are asked to take care of the exam fee but you're reimbursed. Halfway through we were asked to tell them something that wasn't on our resume and background.

After that we watched their company video (same one glassdoor has posted on their info page btw) and taken back out on a 1-on-1. Here I turned in the questions they gave me and business plan. Asked what time I worked as a team where there was a problem and I solved it. Time I worked on the phone with a customer and achieved the goal. What is your long term career goal. Why do you think you're a good fit. If offered the job what would you say. After the interview I was told they'd call me the next day with their decision!

Interview Questions
    • What are your long term goals besides making lots of money?   Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Sales Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

The interview process consists of them calling you into a room and filling you with a bunch of garbage about how much they make with there great job at First Investors, but none of there clothes fit and they drive 98 corollas. All a ponzi scheme, with a cattle call first interview

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Great process. Starts with a phone interview followed by a one-on-one interview at the local branch. Pending a good first interview and a well-written business plan, a second "social" interview with a person that is close to you follows as a second interview.