First Investors Corporation

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website. Got a phone call from the regional recruiter, asked few basic questions about why you chose the company. Then you will set a date for the first interview with the specific location office. First interview was a group interview which the division manager talked about backgrounds. Then you will get to second round. Manager will call and set another date, ask him/her what you will need to prepare they will give you a heads up. Do your homework and most likely you will get an offer.

Interview Question – Marketing plan   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the type of job I wanted.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in July 2013.

Interview Details – First interview is a group interview/ company presentation with about 10 other people that will last over an hour. Then after the presentation they pull you out one by one for a one-on-one interview with a senior manager mean while you wait you are stuck making small talk with about 9 other college-grad hopefuls.

After a few basic questions about your resume and personal attributes they ask you who you know that you would feel comfortable approaching to sell insurance to and what type of marketing plan you can come up with that will help you succeed. I was asked to come back for a second interview the next day but when I asked if there was any other available dates I was immediately told I would be contacted if they still wanted me to come in at a later date. A month later I got a call to come back. But at that point I had moved on.

Interview Question – What past experience or personal quality will help you be successful in this type of working environment?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in May 2013.

Interview Details – First we watched a video, then we did an initial interview and essay responses. Then I came back for an interview with the team. There was a shadowing phase and a personality test to see if I was a good fit for the job.

Interview Question – How do you handle rejection?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate.

Interviewed at First Investors Corporation

Interview Details – Submit application online, received phone call to set up phone interview, had phone interview, Scheduled and had two in person interviews with office manager about a week apart. All of this occured over about 3 weeks.

Interview Question – What is your current business plan? The manager wanted to know my marketing/prospecting plan. It also helps to know this question for practical purposes as this is what you will be doing for 80% of the first year, unless you already have a book of business.   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in June 2013.

Interview Details – 1st interview is a group interview, mostly overview of the company, at the end is 1:1 and after that you will get an email if you made it to the 2nd round.
2nd round you will be interviewed by the manager or someone higher in rank. Interview is not hard, they don’t ask you about tell me about a time…. or this type of questions. I learned more about the company, and realized it is not want I want. You have 9 month base salary of $ 2000, after 9 months strictly on commissions. Need to build your clients. Unless you are very aggressive sales person apply there if not look for something else.

Interview Question – How will you acquire your customers?   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in May 2013.

Interview Details – I met an employee at a University, that forwarded my resume up the chain. It was an initial run of the mill group meeting and presentation about the company the first time around, followed by a small 5 minute talk individually. A phone screening from HQ followed which was easy, took about 20 minutes. A manager interview was then set up.

This manager was pretty straight forward but was pretty concerned about mostly the company's interests like when can you start and are you really going to take this job offer. You have to pay for your insurance license right off the bat and they flip the bill for the annuities one. You are on a 9 month trainee status. First 2 months you are studying for the annuities exam, then you take the field for 7 months with other experienced reps in which you get 25 % of the commission only. You will not probably break 35 K your first year.

My 1 cent:

If a firm can't flip the bill for the licenses that are going to make them revenue, then I should not be hired in the first place. If I need to be held by the hand for over 2-3 months in how to hustle insurance policies and annuities, there is a problem. They try to sell themselves as a team effort and not an island like other firms. Hey, show me the money earning potential, the licenses, and training and I'll hit the ground running. In my opinion, there is too much internal control on your earnings and progression with the firm. They are better than other firms that don't invest anything in you - basically sink or swim model but not good enough for me. I wish they could mention this during the first session, so I could have saved them and myself some time but that is the way this arena functions. Good opportunity for a young guy 22-26 looking to get their foot in the door or have a spouse who can support you off one income. Other than that, look into some of the better firms that invest more capital in their employees.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, why finance and this position?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interview. It was pretty quick and very easy. You meet with the hr person and your supervisor. Also you have to take math,verbal,writing tests. I got the offer on the same day after the second interview.

Interview Question – nothing difficult   View Answer

Negotiation Details – nope, but the salary is kinda low.

Financial Advisor Interview

Financial Advisor

Interview Details – Went in to a career fair, handed in my resume, and was contacted a few days later to come in for an "interview." It was just a meeting with other potential interns to talk about the company and what it does.

Interview Question – What are some short-term goals?   Answer Question

Financial Service Representative Interview

Financial Service Representative

I applied online and interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview Details – You are called in for a group interview where it is a round table discussion of the company's background. Depending on what you have put on the application you are called in for a second interview where you sit one on one with either the manager of the office or a current rep. The questions were very general and easy to answer. The third interview basically means you got the job and at that point you are just filling out the necessary paperwork to get hired.

Interview Question – No question was really that difficult or unexpected.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Trainee Interview

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Investors Corporation in January 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen to determine if you have a pulse. Second phone screen with regional director to rehash weather or not you have a pulse and then an in office interview with the managing director....a sales pitch on how wonderful the company is because it carries no debt. While the phone screeners are explicit that industry experience is a plus, the office directors clearly frown on those with industry knowledge.

Interview Question – There weren't really any questions, it was more of a sales pitch on their part.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at First Investors Corporation