First Investors Corporation Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

1.9

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview

I applied through my university's career services website and received a phone call from the regional recruiter the next day. He asked some basic questions about your background and then asked me to come to the office to meet the manager the next day. About 10 other applicants were there. We were asked to introduce ourselves (be ready to have a good answer) and we were given a power point presentation about the company and their philanthropy (pretty cool).

After the presentation we were pulled out one at a time for a 1-on-1 interview. I was asked basic questions like what are your strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to be a financial advisor? What do you want to work here? I was then asked to come back the next day for another interview. I was given a worksheet to fill out with 4 questions and was told to bring a business plan.

The next day I arrive and there were 5 of us. Here, we were given the break down of their trainee program and compensation. It comes out to about 2k per mo. for the 9 months and after week 6 you can make a little commission on top. After the 9 mo. you are considered a contractor and 100% commission. That's rare compared to the other places I have interviewed with exception to EJ. You are asked to take care of the exam fee but you're reimbursed. Halfway through we were asked to tell them something that wasn't on our resume and background.

After that we watched their company video (same one glassdoor has posted on their info page btw) and taken back out on a 1-on-1. Here I turned in the questions they gave me and business plan. Asked what time I worked as a team where there was a problem and I solved it. Time I worked on the phone with a customer and achieved the goal. What is your long term career goal. Why do you think you're a good fit. If offered the job what would you say. After the interview I was told they'd call me the next day with their decision!

Interview Questions

• What are your long term goals besides making lots of money?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Sales Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview

The interview process consists of them calling you into a room and filling you with a bunch of garbage about how much they make with there great job at First Investors, but none of there clothes fit and they drive 98 corollas. All a ponzi scheme, with a cattle call first interview

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online – interviewed at First Investors Corporation in August 2014.

Interview

Pretty simple interview process.
    applied online reached out to me by phone and email.
    Scheduled an interview for the following week and when i came in they set me into a room of 5 potential hires in a group interview.
    The manager came in and gave a 20 minute lecture on how great the company is and how you can become a millionaire with a bit of hard work.

Of course that all sounds nice, maybe it catches some more unaware folks but i've been through many of these interviews were the company is basically hiring you for your referrals.

BTW they then took us for a 5 minute 1 on 1 interviews.
    The manager showed interest and said i am actually better fit then the rest of the applicants and scheduled a second interview with me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you better then the rest of the guys in the room.   Answer Question

It is not something im interested in, i cant sell their services to friends and family.

Registered Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Investors Corporation (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Great process. Starts with a phone interview followed by a one-on-one interview at the local branch. Pending a good first interview and a well-written business plan, a second "social" interview with a person that is close to you follows as a second interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation.

Interview

Interviewed with the San Jose Office a few yrs ago. The time I went we were all put in a room and were given an overview of what First Investors is all about. There was about 10 of us. Its a sales job, they look for the best ones who can BS customers into buying their funds. It doesn't take a genius to go google and figure out their funds trail most of their competitors.

Interview Questions

• Nothing huge, What is your biggest strength, your biggest weakness, a time where you performed as a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at First Investors Corporation (Pasadena, CA).

Interview

Job fair at college, process took about a week. Got a call requesting an interview. Email followed with details. Group interview/ long presentation followed by 1-1 break out interview. Group meet the next day with few people filtered out and another 1-1 breakout interview. Offered the position and really didn't see a future with it.

Interview Questions

Really didn't appeal to me. Its hard to want to sell financial plans to your friends and family, all for commission, with no base pay. Didn't see myself going anywhere with it.

Interview

They bring you in for a meeting where they discuss the history of the company and some of the things they strive to do. When I did mine they brought in another candidate at the same time which I was not very fond of. Then they ask a couple questions. I was asked to come back the next day where they gave more information and I sat down with t.he recruiter and she asked a couple of questions and eventually offered me the position

Interview Questions

• What would your target customers be? It's kind of hard to determine that since you most likely don't have an experience in the sector.   Answer Question

It just seemed like you were asked to develop your leads on your own which would take a lot of risk and work to be successful

Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at First Investors Corporation (Pasadena, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Received a phone call from a recruiter to come in for an interview. I did not expect there to be other candidates present, there was a small group of other candidates. There was a presentation about the company that lasted for more than an hour. Then they pulled us out individually for 1 on 1 interviews. These 1 on 1 were very short. Maybe a little over five minutes.

Interview Questions

• Generic for the most part. Why do you want to work in financial services?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you planned every detail of a project and how it was successful or not.   Answer Question

I got invited to a second interview but I declined, scheduling conflicts.

Interview

i applied online, then the following day they called me. Asked me some questions about my resume and asked why i could see myself at first investors. Then they wanted to have a formal interview in a group setting. They talked about the company and showed you a presentation. After the presentation they had a personal interview.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at First Investors Corporation (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online for the LA office and heard back within a week or so from HR. The HR person gave me the wrong date to go to the office, so I showed up and no one was expecting me. About a week later, I showed up on the correct day for my interview. In total, the first interview lasted about 2 hours and 15 minutes. For the first 2 hours, a group of potential candidates listened to managers speak about the company and give a general description of the position. They did a great job of selling themselves and the company but didn't seem very interested in learning about us, their potential employees. The last 15 minutes involved the managers pulling each candidate out for a one-on-one interview. Here, the questions were pretty standard interview questions. After a brief conversation, I was then asked to come back for a second interview the next day. Interview number two was more of the same. This time, a smaller group of candidates met with one of the heads of the LA office and heard more about the position and the company. After about an hour and a half of being educated on the company, we then met one-on-one with an office manager. This one-on-one interview was also very standard and brief. Later that day, I received a call and was offered the position. I accepted their offer and was set to start 2 months later.

On my first day, I, along with two other new Financial Service Reps, filled out the standard paperwork and was acquainted with key supervisors throughout the office. At the end of my third hour of being in the office, we were set up in front of computers and instructed to begin studying the necessary materials for selling life insurance. Once I had completed setting up my online profile, I was asked for my credit card information. Confused by this, I approached an office manager who then explained to me that it would cost over $400 to get the necessary licensing. I was expected to give the money up front and they would reimburse me within a few business days after I was licensed. This caught me entirely off guard because during the interview process I had been told repeatedly that First Investors Corp. covered any and all licensing fees. It had never been mentioned to me that I would need to initially front the money.

Because I didn't have the nearly half a grand immediately available to me, I was sent home early because there was "nothing more [they] could do for me until [I had] the funds available to proceed." The whole experience was very disconcerting and I felt that I had been nearly tricked into some sort of shady pyramid scheme. I decided to resign my position in favor of other, more transparent employers.

Interview Questions

• What do you expect will be most difficult about this position?   Answer Question