First Niagara Financial Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.4

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview

Great interview process. Spoke with HR person, scheduled interview with BM and RSM. Discussed position as well a career paths. Found this program is much more mature than its' peers. PFA, to Sr. PFA, to Junior FC, to FC is the potential career path. The first 3 positions listed are one's that you can reach by hitting higher production levels and you don't need to wait for any openings. The future is yours at FNFG.

Interview Questions

• What would the first 90 days in this position look like for you?   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview

All Behavioural Interview and Resume based interviews Applied on College career portal and got the screening call within a week. However, got the next round call only after 2 months as they freezed the hiring process for a while. 1.) Firstly, HR Screening 2.) Onsite interview with Hiring Managers 3.) Onsite interview with higher management

Interview Questions

• Resume based questions and would you like to settle in Buffalo   Answer Question

Relationship Banker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pottstown, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial (Pottstown, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

First a telephone interview which was extremely conversational and natural. Didn't feel pressured or nervous. Excellent HR interview and was far from scripted. Really allowed you to express yourself, experience, and what your future plans are. If you can build report and personality with HR during the phone interview the rest is a breeze. Then a face to face interview with he branch manager. Again very conversational not very scripted and they allowed you to ask questions and structured it more as "this is what you would be doing this is how you'll be doing it and this is how we all do things together" put you into the role and made you feel very successful about the interview process. Final step was a face to face interview with the area manager. Very short interview and mostly touched base on the same topics that the branch manager did. This was more of a personality judgement to give the branch manager an okay to hire. Last about 10 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were unable to please a customer, what you did to handle the situation, and what the end result was.   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview

I received a call from HR. HR then scheduled an appointment to have a phone interview. After the phone interview the HR representative then scheduled me to meet with the branch manager. After meeting with the branch manager i received the call from the HR representative about 2 weeks later with the job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They sent you an offer contract with your wage and its either you accepted or declined.

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview

In the hiring process, you submit your application online (like any other company today). You will get a call from a recruiter in Buffalo who will do an initial phone screen with you. If the recruiter thinks you are a good fit, they will schedule you with a phone conversation (not so much an interview as a what-to-expect from this position call) with the regional sales representative. You will then have an interview with the local branch manager and the area financial adviser. If they approve, you'll have a formal interview with the regional sales manager. At that point, you'll go through due diligence from the broker/dealer before receiving an offer from the company. From application to starting date, the process took about 5 1/2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions. You must go into the interviews understanding this is a sales job and they're looking for someone that has and can continue to make sales.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial (Buffalo, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Interesting interview process. They had expanded upon the idea of speed dating and implemented it in their interview process. 5 minutes each with 6 interviewers. Each interviewer had a different tact/approach. So the questions would be radically different, such as 'Please walk me through your resume' from one interviewer would be followed by 'Which animal do you resume?' from another and so on and so forth.

Teller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial in June 2010.

Interview

They want to hear that you can refer and sell products.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Got a call from recruiting within a few days and discussed pay and starting date.

Commercial Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2010.

Interview

Process was straight forward; spoke with HR represenative over the phone and set up the in person interview. After the interviews with several employees, HR contacted me to present and offer. I asked for two days to ponder the offer and then called the HR rep to decline.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions such as "What is your biggest fault / What do you need to improve on?"   1 Answer

Salary and benefits (tuition reimbursement, vacation etc.) low.

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lockport, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial (Lockport, NY) in November 2009.

Interview

I applied to the job in September. In October I got a 1/2 hour phone screen that I thought went well. In November I had an in person interview. I interviewed with the head of the Project Management Office (PMO) and and a Project Manager that reported to her. Each interview was about 1 hour. They explained what the job was about . They spent more time talking about the job and I don't feel like l was asked that many questions. I feel like I really hit it off with the manager.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered me a 3 month trial contract position to see if it would work out. The contract rate was not negotiable. The contract included no benefits though I had access to buy them (at a high price). After 4 weeks as a contractor we mutually agreed to moving forward with converting me to a permanent employee. The salary offered was the same as the contract. I was told non-negotiable, as was the vacation.

Head Teller Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Interview

Applied for the job through an internet posting. I was then called by HR recruiter and asked a short set of behavioral interview questions. After about 5-7 days received a call from the branch manager of the branch I had interviewed for and was called in for a 1:1. A few days after the interview, I was called by HR in which they extended the offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation with a difficult/irrate customer and how to did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Little to know negotiating for jobs such as tellers. For higher paying positions and management there is more of an opportunity to negotiate your wage.