First Niagara Financial

Very Easy Interview

Commercial Underwriter Interview

Commercial Underwriter
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in April 2010.

Interview Details – Process was straight forward; spoke with HR represenative over the phone and set up the in person interview. After the interviews with several employees, HR contacted me to present and offer. I asked for two days to ponder the offer and then called the HR rep to decline.

Interview Question – Standard questions such as "What is your biggest fault / What do you need to improve on?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Salary and benefits (tuition reimbursement, vacation etc.) low.

Relationship Banker Interview

Relationship Banker

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Interview Details – Met with branch managers. Pretty standard interview. Applied internally so not too formal.

Interview Question – What would you do to increase referrals?   Answer Question

Personal Financial Associate Interview

Personal Financial Associate
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in July 2011.

Interview Details – Interview took so long because of scheduling difficulties with scheduling. Phone interview with recruiter, then regional manager, then face-to-face with financial consultant and branch manager together as a group. Interview was very relaxed and conversational.

Interview Questions

Fraud Interview

Fraud
Buffalo, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in August 2011.

Interview Details – Recruiter was nice but quite disorganized and expressed that she was hurried. We talked a lot about things like the weather to begin with to the point where I'm not sure how she would have been able to discern my capabilities to do the job or not. Not sure if this is standard or what. Recruiter said she would follow up with my status, but never did.

Interview Question – Tell me about your experience related to this position.   Answer Question

Project Analyst Interview

Project Analyst
Lockport, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Interview Details – I applied to the job in September. In October I got a 1/2 hour phone screen that I thought went well. In November I had an in person interview. I interviewed with the head of the Project Management Office (PMO) and and a Project Manager that reported to her. Each interview was about 1 hour. They explained what the job was about . They spent more time talking about the job and I don't feel like l was asked that many questions. I feel like I really hit it off with the manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave your current company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me a 3 month trial contract position to see if it would work out. The contract rate was not negotiable. The contract included no benefits though I had access to buy them (at a high price). After 4 weeks as a contractor we mutually agreed to moving forward with converting me to a permanent employee. The salary offered was the same as the contract. I was told non-negotiable, as was the vacation.

Internal Audit Intern Interview

Internal Audit Intern
Buffalo, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in January 2011.

Interview Details – Interesting interview process. They had expanded upon the idea of speed dating and implemented it in their interview process. 5 minutes each with 6 interviewers. Each interviewer had a different tact/approach. So the questions would be radically different, such as 'Please walk me through your resume' from one interviewer would be followed by 'Which animal do you resume?' from another and so on and so forth.

Interview Questions

Head Teller Interview

Head Teller

The process took 1 week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Interview Details – Applied for the job through an internet posting. I was then called by HR recruiter and asked a short set of behavioral interview questions. After about 5-7 days received a call from the branch manager of the branch I had interviewed for and was called in for a 1:1. A few days after the interview, I was called by HR in which they extended the offer.

Interview Question – Describe a situation with a difficult/irrate customer and how to did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little to know negotiating for jobs such as tellers. For higher paying positions and management there is more of an opportunity to negotiate your wage.

Teller Interview

Teller
Chicopee, MA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in February 2011.

Interview Details – It was ok. Had a really good meet and greet with the mgr. of the bank but wasnt hired. He then told me to go to another branch and apply which I did and went to ANOTHER interview and wasn't offered the job. What a waste of time and effort!!

Interview Question – They were all basic questions   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Finance

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details – Applied for a bunch of jobs online. 6 months later I got a call from HR asking to setup an interview. I had no idea what job I was interviewing for. We set up a mutually convenient time.

The day came and the HR woman called almost 90 minutes after the agreed upon time. She seemed uncouth and rushed. Asked me very standard questions and cut me off during short explanations.

I was glad I didnt get the offer as I would have turned it down anyways.

Interview Question – No difficult questions, just a difficult and tardy interviewer.   Answer Question

Personal Financial Associate Interview

Personal Financial Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Interview Details – In the hiring process, you submit your application online (like any other company today). You will get a call from a recruiter in Buffalo who will do an initial phone screen with you. If the recruiter thinks you are a good fit, they will schedule you with a phone conversation (not so much an interview as a what-to-expect from this position call) with the regional sales representative. You will then have an interview with the local branch manager and the area financial adviser. If they approve, you'll have a formal interview with the regional sales manager. At that point, you'll go through due diligence from the broker/dealer before receiving an offer from the company. From application to starting date, the process took about 5 1/2 weeks.

Interview Question – There were no difficult or unexpected questions. You must go into the interviews understanding this is a sales job and they're looking for someone that has and can continue to make sales.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Niagara Financial interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by First Niagara Financial employees and interview candidates.