First Niagara Financial Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

Commercial Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in April 2010.

Process was straight forward; spoke with HR represenative over the phone and set up the in person interview. After the interviews with several employees, HR contacted me to present and offer. I asked for two days to ponder the offer and then called the HR rep to decline.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions such as "What is your biggest fault / What do you need to improve on?"   View Answer

Salary and benefits (tuition reimbursement, vacation etc.) low.

Project Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lockport, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lockport, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

I applied to the job in September. In October I got a 1/2 hour phone screen that I thought went well. In November I had an in person interview. I interviewed with the head of the Project Management Office (PMO) and and a Project Manager that reported to her. Each interview was about 1 hour. They explained what the job was about . They spent more time talking about the job and I don't feel like l was asked that many questions. I feel like I really hit it off with the manager.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current company?   View Answer
    They offered me a 3 month trial contract position to see if it would work out. The contract rate was not negotiable. The contract included no benefits though I had access to buy them (at a high price). After 4 weeks as a contractor we mutually agreed to moving forward with converting me to a permanent employee. The salary offered was the same as the contract. I was told non-negotiable, as was the vacation.

Relationship Banker Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Met with branch managers. Pretty standard interview. Applied internally so not too formal.

Personal Financial Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in July 2011.

Interview took so long because of scheduling difficulties with scheduling. Phone interview with recruiter, then regional manager, then face-to-face with financial consultant and branch manager together as a group. Interview was very relaxed and conversational.

Fraud Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in August 2011.

Recruiter was nice but quite disorganized and expressed that she was hurried. We talked a lot about things like the weather to begin with to the point where I'm not sure how she would have been able to discern my capabilities to do the job or not. Not sure if this is standard or what. Recruiter said she would follow up with my status, but never did.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience related to this position.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

Applied for a bunch of jobs online. 6 months later I got a call from HR asking to setup an interview. I had no idea what job I was interviewing for. We set up a mutually convenient time.

The day came and the HR woman called almost 90 minutes after the agreed upon time. She seemed uncouth and rushed. Asked me very standard questions and cut me off during short explanations.

I was glad I didnt get the offer as I would have turned it down anyways.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions, just a difficult and tardy interviewer.   Answer Question

L&D Group Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 12 months - interviewed at First Niagara Financial.

The internal candidates do not get updates on applications from HR. Even with prompt, courteous, and continuous inquiries from the applicants the HR reps will not get back to the individuals, even to simply say "we are still reviewing" or "you are not qualified". There is such a lack of communication it is shameful. Also, when applying for positions, it is secretive as to "what you actually do". Hiring managers will say your day to day varies and not give you specifics on what you'll actually be doing if hired for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you feel you are qualified to receive compensation at this level when you currently do not make this amount?   View Answer

Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in February 2014.

I received an email from a person who wanted to do a phone interview. We agreed on a time and had the interview. The HR person did change the interview time the Friday before the interview. Then when the HR person called me, she asked if it was still a good time for the interview.

Some of the interview parts was ask about resume, what I have been doing? Where do I see myself down the road, past salary history). Shockley didn't ask me about what I did know about the FNG which I had my information all ready for that.

At the end HR person said I would hear back from them within the next week. I received an email saying I did not get an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you leave your past job? Where do you see yourself down the road?   Answer Question

Teller Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicopee, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Chicopee, MA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in February 2011.

It was ok. Had a really good meet and greet with the mgr. of the bank but wasnt hired. He then told me to go to another branch and apply which I did and went to ANOTHER interview and wasn't offered the job. What a waste of time and effort!!

Head Teller Interview

The process took 1 week - interviewed at First Niagara Financial in November 2009.

Applied for the job through an internet posting. I was then called by HR recruiter and asked a short set of behavioral interview questions. After about 5-7 days received a call from the branch manager of the branch I had interviewed for and was called in for a 1:1. A few days after the interview, I was called by HR in which they extended the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation with a difficult/irrate customer and how to did you overcome this situation?   Answer Question
    Little to know negotiating for jobs such as tellers. For higher paying positions and management there is more of an opportunity to negotiate your wage.

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!