First Solar Interview Questions

3.3

Business Analyst Interview

Lengthy and repetitive

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at First Solar.

Informal

Developer IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at First Solar in June 2012.

There were 5 rounds taken place in one day over a span of 5 hours.
    in each round there was only one person interviewing me.
    all the 5 rounds were as below.
    they have a set of questions each around
    1.what were you doing in your past job
     your strengths and weakness in this
    2.what were the difficult situations
    your strengths and weaknesses
    3. Customer relationships
    your strengths and weaknesses
    4. what would your old manager say about your strengths, weaknesses
    5. some technical questions around by area of subject

Interview Questions
    • i didn't expect to be asked weaknesses around each question.   Answer Question
    You have to better tell them the pay you were looking for before you go to the interview.
    But still there is scope to negotiate after the interview. Also there are couple of locations you can work after joining.

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online - interviewed at First Solar in July 2010.

Phone interview first. Then called for an all day on-site interview. 5 different persons from 3 levels in the organization interviewed. It was detailed and structured interview.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at First Solar in November 2011.

it went well . first round was all about technical and later round carried technical process. It was pretty much normal process.

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at First Solar in August 2009.

First Solar uses an in-depth topgrading structured interview process to select "A-players", This method is focused on behavioral questions about how you handled specific types of situations in the past.

The areas follow the corporate core values (People Matter, Safety First, Resutl Matter, Deep Customer Partnerships, etc..) For each area, the interviewer(s) ask for an example of when you did well at demonstrating that trait, as well as an example of when you did not demonstrate that trait.

There is also a "structured interview" portion where the hiring manager will ask many questions about all of your past jobs, especially what you did best/worst there, and whatyour old manager would say about you from those roles.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time you encountered the greatest challenge where you had to use flexibility and adpatability to solve a problem?   Answer Question
    Tough negotiation with recruiter. Needed to press for the pay level I required. Vacation offer was not flexible.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at First Solar in December 2010.

First Solar has the most disciplined interviewing process that I have encountered. All employees that interview attend mandatory interviewing training. When an interview is performed, all members of the interview are assigned a topic to focus on certain aspects of the company's core values - ex: "Results Matter", "Continuous Improvement", or "Overall Fit". Interviewers are also given a standard template of questions to help guide them in probing the candidate's experiences and reactions in given situations.

The most difficult part of the interview process is the "Structured Interview" where the candidate's prospective hiring manager delves deeply into the candidate's past work history, asking about their accomplishments, the things that they would do better, the things that their past managers and co-workers would say about them, and their reason for leaving each position.

At the end of the process, this same team meets and evaluates each candidate to determine which one to hire.

Interview Questions
    I only negotiated for an extra week of vacation. Standard vacation is two weeks for new hires, but I asked for extra and received three weeks vacation based on my skills and experience.

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at First Solar in January 2011.

Initial interview with recruiter, face-to-face meeting with several people, 1 hour each.

Interview Questions
    • How did your performance compare to last year's performance?   Answer Question

Environmental Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at First Solar in May 2010.

Contacted by internal recruiter who briefed me on the job and my qualifications. She immediately followed up with several emails regarding the company and their benefits package. Received another call within 1-2 days for a 1:1 phone interview with the prospective supervisor for the job. Received another call and was asked to come to a face-to-face in AZ (4 hr flight away). The day of the face-to-face, while waiting to be called in for the interview, another person walks in who just happens to be a subordinate of mine at my existing company! We were both incredibily uncomfortable and couldn't find a way to even remotely explain our presence there. Notwithstanding the fact this person had less than 1/4 the years of my experience and it would seem odd we could botjh be deemed "qualified" for the position, why didn't the recruiters try to separate the interviewees, especially if they're both working for the same company. Anyway, after this debacle, I was totally thrown off from the interviewing mindset. Fuirthermore, as if I didn't get the message yet, they said I was really overqualified for the position and one manager even wondered out loud to me "why are you here?" The best question asked of me through the entire process. I left and never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember specific questions. None of them were of a technical nature related to the position though. All were some variation of your standard "behavioral" type questions. One interviewer stumbled through reading a question off the sheet, looked at me confused, and then said,"if you don't have an answer we can just skip over this stuff". I wish now I'd have had the presence of mind to agree and get up and leave.   Answer Question

Financial Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

The process took 5 days - interviewed at First Solar in June 2009.

I applied through the First Solar website, and was contacted by an internal recruiter. She was very good and thorough, spending an hour and a half asking me questions and getting to know me. She then progressed my application to the hiring manager, who spent an hour with me on another phone interview. Days later, I was invited back for the panel interview.

The panel interview was about seven hours, counting a hosted lunch with the team. Up to the lunch, everything went well. And then, the final interview with two finance managers (both of them women) took a very odd turn. The interrogator on the left was wide awake and asked all the questions, and the scribe on the right would type furiously in her laptop and look bored. At one point, the scribe passing out, and this happened three or four times over the course of an hour and a half. The interrogator ignored her narcoleptic peer, who would rouse from sleep and start typing furiously, and glare at me. I don't know if this was supposed to be a stress interview tactic, but it certainly seemed odd at best, and quite unprofessional.

I heard nothing for weeks, and then checked the website. The hiring manager chose to change the requirements from "Must be willing to train to be the administrator of SAP BPC" to "Must be have SAP BPC experience". I had made it clear from the very beginning, when I interviewed with the recruiter, that I had SAP FI, CO & SRM experience but *no* BPC. This seemed like a real waste of their time and mine. I called the recruiter, who confirmed that the requirements had been changed. She apologized on behalf of the company. The recruiter realized something really weird had happened - and I didn't even tell her about the narcoleptic finance manager.

The End.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to put people ahead of results   Answer Question