First Solar Interview Questions

3.2

Field Technician II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at First Solar in November 2012.

you first make contact with a recruiter who has already reviewed your resume. who then ask if he can forward it to the hiring managers if they like your resume then you are scheduled for a phone interview with 3 managers which is about an hour long. if they liked you during that interview you will be flown out to Arizona where you will be interviewed by about 4 or 5 people over the course of 4 hours

Interview Questions
    • make sure everything is focused around safety. as with first solar safety comes before production   Answer Question

Manager, Performance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mesa, AZ

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Solar in August 2012.

Very professionally organized interview. Very prompt and professional. Interviewers were very cordial and made me feel welcome

Interview Questions
    • More Solar industry related and I knew the Answer but didnt understand the jargon.   Answer Question

Developer IT Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Solar in June 2012.

There were 5 rounds taken place in one day over a span of 5 hours.
    in each round there was only one person interviewing me.
    all the 5 rounds were as below.
    they have a set of questions each around
    1.what were you doing in your past job
     your strengths and weakness in this
    2.what were the difficult situations
    your strengths and weaknesses
    3. Customer relationships
    your strengths and weaknesses
    4. what would your old manager say about your strengths, weaknesses
    5. some technical questions around by area of subject

Interview Questions
    • i didn't expect to be asked weaknesses around each question.   Answer Question
    You have to better tell them the pay you were looking for before you go to the interview.
    But still there is scope to negotiate after the interview. Also there are couple of locations you can work after joining.

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Solar in January 2012.

Referred by friend.

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Solar in November 2011.

it went well . first round was all about technical and later round carried technical process. It was pretty much normal process.

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perrysburg, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Solar in January 2011.

Initial interview with recruiter, face-to-face meeting with several people, 1 hour each.

Interview Questions
    • How did your performance compare to last year's performance?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at First Solar in December 2010.

First Solar has the most disciplined interviewing process that I have encountered. All employees that interview attend mandatory interviewing training. When an interview is performed, all members of the interview are assigned a topic to focus on certain aspects of the company's core values - ex: "Results Matter", "Continuous Improvement", or "Overall Fit". Interviewers are also given a standard template of questions to help guide them in probing the candidate's experiences and reactions in given situations.

The most difficult part of the interview process is the "Structured Interview" where the candidate's prospective hiring manager delves deeply into the candidate's past work history, asking about their accomplishments, the things that they would do better, the things that their past managers and co-workers would say about them, and their reason for leaving each position.

At the end of the process, this same team meets and evaluates each candidate to determine which one to hire.

Interview Questions
    I only negotiated for an extra week of vacation. Standard vacation is two weeks for new hires, but I asked for extra and received three weeks vacation based on my skills and experience.

Estimating Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Solar in September 2010.

.5 hr phone interview with in house recruiter. 1 hr phone interview with hiring manager. Interviewed at corporate headquarters for 6 hours. 2 Interviews were structured - meaning skills oriented. Technical competencies etc. Balance were behavioral in nature. Testing/measuring personality fit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when met results/failed to meet results/conflict resolution   Answer Question

Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toledo, OH

I applied online – interviewed at First Solar in July 2010.

Phone interview first. Then called for an all day on-site interview. 5 different persons from 3 levels in the organization interviewed. It was detailed and structured interview.

Environmental Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at First Solar in May 2010.

Contacted by internal recruiter who briefed me on the job and my qualifications. She immediately followed up with several emails regarding the company and their benefits package. Received another call within 1-2 days for a 1:1 phone interview with the prospective supervisor for the job. Received another call and was asked to come to a face-to-face in AZ (4 hr flight away). The day of the face-to-face, while waiting to be called in for the interview, another person walks in who just happens to be a subordinate of mine at my existing company! We were both incredibily uncomfortable and couldn't find a way to even remotely explain our presence there. Notwithstanding the fact this person had less than 1/4 the years of my experience and it would seem odd we could botjh be deemed "qualified" for the position, why didn't the recruiters try to separate the interviewees, especially if they're both working for the same company. Anyway, after this debacle, I was totally thrown off from the interviewing mindset. Fuirthermore, as if I didn't get the message yet, they said I was really overqualified for the position and one manager even wondered out loud to me "why are you here?" The best question asked of me through the entire process. I left and never heard from them again.

Interview Questions
    • I honestly don't remember specific questions. None of them were of a technical nature related to the position though. All were some variation of your standard "behavioral" type questions. One interviewer stumbled through reading a question off the sheet, looked at me confused, and then said,"if you don't have an answer we can just skip over this stuff". I wish now I'd have had the presence of mind to agree and get up and leave.   Answer Question