First Student

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Belleville, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at First Student in July 2010.

Interview Details – One on one interview with one of the members of management, once they accept you for employment, you must obtain permits from the secretary of state to obtain the permits for driving a school bus, then you must pass a drug screening and physical to complete the hiring process.

Interview Question – When do you practice safety?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None

Driver/Trainer Interview

Driver/Trainer
Batavia, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Student.

Interview Details – 1-1 interview, very easy, after interview there will be classroom training to obtain your cdl or to become an attendant, classroom is about 2 weeks and then there is 2 weeks of behind the wheel driver before you are sent to the d.m.v to get tested and given your cdl and can start driving. this is all unpaid.

Charter Representative Interview

Charter Representative
Naperville, IL

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at First Student in April 2014.

Interview Details – I wHas selected through a staffing agency. First interviewed with the Sales Manager. We started talking about what a great idea the charter company was and he kind of stopped after that like he was waiting for me to talk. I had to direct his focus to my resume and then it was the same old stale questions. He exuded little energy and enthusiasm and told me he came to the company because he was unhappy in his last job. He didn't even talk about being proud of what the company had accomplished. Applying for a sales job I would not want to work for someone who was not enthusiastic. How would he motivate his team?

Interview Question – I asked him what he thought about whether I would be a good fit   View Answer

Oakdale, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at First Student.

Interview Details – The interview was very straight forward. Questions ranged from my availability, to physical ability (as related to the job), driving record, and so-on. I was informed that I would need to pass a drug screening and background check to receive an offer. I was notified quickly when both of those were passed, and received an offer to begin training.

Interview Question – I do not recall any difficult questions. The majority of it seemed to be an evaluation of qualifications, a background check, and drug screening.   Answer Question

Terminal Manager Interview

Terminal Manager

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at First Student.

Interview Details – applied for the job and had all of the qualification. It was a joke because they already knew who they were hiring. The person that was hired had none of the qualifications listed.

Very Easy Interview

Bus Driver Interview

Bus Driver
Tecumseh, MI

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at First Student.

Interview Details – I had an interview with the office manager.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected   Answer Question

School Bus Driver

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at First Student in January 2010.

Interview Details – show up fill out an application if they feel like giving you one that day

Interview Question – none all are normal questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – show up for unpaid training pass your road test and go to work

Twentynine Palms, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at First Student in June 2010.

Interview Details – Hire process was short. Interview with staff went well

Interview Question – Why do I want to be school bus driver?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation

Bus Driver Interview

Bus Driver
Santa Rosa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 months - interviewed at First Student in October 2009.

Interview Details – Hiring process consisted of one interview, followed by a training period that included both presentation of class material, behind the wheel training in both urban and rural road conditions. As well, the training included safety checks on the condition of the bus operating systems, such as the air brake system.

Interview Question – What would you do if a student picked a fight and physically assaulted another student on the bus?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was a union contract governing conditions and terms of employment, wages, hours and benefits.

Fresno, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at First Student in June 2009.

Interview Details – saw they were hiring on internet,submitted application,they called at home ,told me to come for interview was told to bring h6 took the training was hired after 8 weeks of training

Interview Question – can you deal with disabled or wheelchair kids   View Answer

Negotiation Details – n/a

Interviews for Top Jobs at First Student

Worked for First Student? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Student interview questions and advice. All 41 interview reviews posted anonymously by First Student employees and interview candidates.