First Transit Interview Questions

2.0

Bus Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at First Transit in May 2014.

Interview process was pretty much standard.. Applied online, got called the next day and scheduled an interview for the following week. (Was out of town). Attended the interview, looked at a brief video which outlined the pros and cons associated with the job functions then went over detailed on my resume. Answered/filled out a job match personality questionnaire, which determined I was a good match for the position. Returned the following day to be finger printed for the background check and was given the information and forms to have a medical, and drug test which I did the very same day right after I left the office. It is my understanding that the facilities which performs your tests forwards your test results directly back to First Transit, so it is more a don't call us, we'll call you after that. [Note:-I already have a Class-A with every enforcement except the passenger which is why I also have to do the actual road test.]

Showed up to commence training (Class of 4) the following week on Monday at 6:00am for 2 weeks of intense In class training with a series of tests after each subject area, from a handout, manual or video. Have we have a lot of time for questions and answers a lot of which we were told we would discover once out os the classroom environment since there were no static answers as a response.

After the completion of the 2 weeks in class, we commenced another 2 weeks of Routing training. These shifts start from as early as 3:00am to 5:00am lasting approximately 3 to 4 hours, and then another shift from about 1:00pm to 3:00pm also lasting approximately 4 hours. Yes I know its rough but all of these help you to decide if it is a realistic career for you or just a venture stepping stone. This is where we were allowed to go on the actual bus in revenue routes. We were are allowed to drive but only when the bus is in routed from the bus center to the first passenger pickup, or after the last passenger drop off. It was always just you and the driver. During this time, they gave observed out driving skills, answered our questions and give us a wealth of driving tips to enhance and sharpen our physical and mental state for the actual job. We also get to see their interaction with the commuters/passengers ranging from the street/social derelicts to the social affluents and all that lies in between. This 2 week phase in my opinion presents the critical "make or break" factors, to determine if you are going to give it a genuine shot, or to bow out from and proceed no further. With every passing day of this two week, I would always ask myself, "Are you sure that this is what you want to do and are you sure that you can do it".

I am a family man so its natural to be asking these questions. I have completed this 2 weeks of route training and come Monday I will commence the "True Challenge", the cadet training which is where we would be driving the bus on full routes "in revenue" with passengers, operate the firebox, call the stops, interact with dispatch via wireless radio. This I look forward to. Will be back to give an update to this review.

Interview Questions
    • What make you decide you want to work for First Transit?   View Answer
    No negotiation. This is a take it or hit the pavement and good luck.

Customer Service Interview

just pass drug test

Bus Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Transit in October 2013.

I attended a Job fair where a representative from First Transit was presenting and I provided a resume and an application, I was asked to interview the next day, I arrived for the interview and waited in the drivers lounge, I met with the interviewer and watched a video about the rigors of the position, I also took a personality test designed to help me decide if the job was a good match. The interviewer and I discussed salary and the union shift bid system. I decided that the position was not for me. The interviewer asked me to consider what we discussed and call if I decided to proceed.

Interview Questions
    • The personality test was unexpected but did assist me in making a decision about the position.   View Answer

The union shift bid and salary increment schedule were barriers to accepting the position.

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Transit.

You have to do a ten year background check on paper, they have no website to apply on, it takes two weeks for drug test to come back, another week for the background check to come back so a total three weeks of waiting to start work, the training is not thorough.

a phone call to come drug test. and a start date.

Road Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesboro, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesboro, GA

I applied through other source – interviewed at First Transit in September 2012.

My interview with First Transit,was not an interview,it was a friend wanting to find out about another friend.The process was great I felt very much at ease,my interviewing person was Mrs.Shirley Geter,a fantastic person to have as a boss.

Interview Questions
    • I had no difficult unexpected question,all questions were very to the point and simple.   View Answer

Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Blaine, MN

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Transit.

I called on, say, a Monday. I got an interview on Wednesday. I got offered the job the same day. Started on Friday. Super quick (they needed a driver yesterday--had a few quit on short notice). Since I had experience driving before, I had 24 hours of training (over 3 days, 10/8/6 hours) and was let loose with a map and a bus. They knew I was going to be working this job temporarily until I found something better, I told them this, and they understood and hired me anyway.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember any specific questions--it was a straightforward interview about my driving history and my qualifications.   Answer Question
    Not much. It was a "union" shop. I put it in quotes because the union really only applied during contract times--benefits, salary, and seniority for bidding for routes. Being junior, I was on the late night shift, but that was okay, because there was the chance for more hours.

Customer Information Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Transit in August 2012.

I was hired through a staffing agency. There was no interview. I went to a "orientation" where I submitted hiring paperwork and took a drug test the same day. I passed the background check and drug test and was hired immediately. Only problem is that I did not start working until 4 months later. And I had to take the drug test over. There were many issues that delayed a start date.

Interview Questions
    • I was required to give a 10 year address history. That was difficult because I've moved a lot.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. I accepted what was offered.

Paratransit Bus Dirver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at First Transit in January 2010.

My interview along with others I worked with was very basic because First Transit won the contract with TriMet and had to hire all the drivers due to working in a union yard. However, you have to have a good driving record, no criminal convictions and be over the age of 21. They tell you that there are full time and part time positions but don't tell you that there is a bid process by seniority and that it takes a couple years or more, if you're lucky, to get into a full time position. There are no benefits with part time. You have to, a TriMet Lift, call in the night before at 8pm to find out if and what you are acyually working the next day.

Interview Questions
    • How are you with dealing with difficult people?   View Answer
    No negotiating. Take it or leave it.

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at First Transit in September 2008.

I had a phone interview with the Recruiter and then flew out to Cincinnati and met with the executive staff. I had an offer within a week.

Interview Questions
    I was able to neogitate a great salary.

Customer Information Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Island City, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at First Transit in May 2008.

its you and in a class of 20+ .... as long you pass drug and background test you're hired. You do not get interviewed. The human resources manager goes over the job description. And the following week or day after you get trained.

there was none