FirstEnergy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Akron, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FirstEnergy in January 2010.

Interview Details – It starts with a phone interview followed by a formal interview. A background check will follow. Be sure to list all incidents, they will check. The initial interview is over the phone with an HR rep. The in-person interview is in the office of your hiring manager. They are given a set of question from HR as a guideline but they don't have to ask those questions. Questions are fairly standard and should be easy to answer for any serious candidate.

Interview Question – Tell us about a project you've led.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. They have a standard rate for each position and they like to stay within 80-90% of that rate for a new hire.

Reactor Operator Interview

Reactor Operator

I applied online - interviewed at FirstEnergy in March 2014.

Interview Details – I interviewed (phone interview) for a Reactor Operator position at Beaver Valley Power Station in Shippingport, PA. The interview started off pretty light. I was informed of the shiftwork rotation and overtime policy. Then, some basic questions about my ability to handle firefighting responsibilities, physical requirements, and handling of radioactive material. Then, the questions started. Typical questions such as "What is your greatest strength?" and "Describe a time when you felt you were under pressure". Then, the focus shifted to determining my compliance with procedures with questions such as "What would you do if a supervisor pressured you into performing an evolution that you knew broke the rules?" Overall, the interview was very easy because I had written answers down for these stereotypical questions ahead of time. I was very surprised by the fact that there were no technical questions, but my interviewer also said he was skipping a lot of questions. Total interview time... 50 minutes

Interview Question – I would say the first question about deviating from procedures really caught me off guard because I felt as though a simple "Why would I ever do that??" response would not have been warranted... Even though thats how I felt.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a job offer within the hour after interviewing.

Meter Reader Interview

Meter Reader

I applied online and the process took 12 months - interviewed at FirstEnergy in May 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was pretty cut dry, they asked basic questions about previous jobs/experience, then they told you a little about the job, wages, benefits, etc

Interview Question – Why should be chose you ahead of someone else with more experience?   Answer Question

Business Analyst II Interview

Business Analyst II

Interviewed at FirstEnergy

Interview Details – First Phone, then in person in span of 1 month

Interview Question – Basic Behavior Questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – No Negotiation, pay is below industry standards

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Auxiliary Power Plant Operator: Hatfield's Ferry Power Station - Masontown, PA Interview

Auxiliary Power Plant Operator: Hatfield's Ferry Power Station - Masontown, PA
Masontown, PA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at FirstEnergy in January 2013.

Interview Details – I interviewed 1/30/13 at the plant with 1) head of HR, 2) head of Maint. 3) work force dev. coordinator, 4)head of the Yard NOTE: no one from "operations". I was offered a job 2/22/13. I accepted 2/25/13, & started 4/8/13

Interview Question – Did you ever break the rules? Did you ever do anything unsafe?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate pay, as it was negotiated by the Union. Make CERTAIN of the plant's future. ie. licenses renewed, EPA future requirements in the budget!!

Staff Business Analyst Interview

Staff Business Analyst
Akron, OH

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FirstEnergy in October 2009.

Interview Details – Well handled by HR. Manager did not fully disclose expectations of job.

Interview Question – Describe the business strategy of your current employer in one sentence.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – tough. Initial offer was close to best and final. Was able to get additional week of vacation.

Nuclear Engineer Interview

Nuclear Engineer
Shippingport, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at FirstEnergy in October 2011.

Interview Details – Initial communication was during a contract period with another company hired by First Energy. I was approached about being hired on directly and told about the benefits of taking the position. This process began in Sept-Oct of 2011 and my start date wasn't until Jan 2012. It was a drawn out process that involved interviewing candidates they knew they weren't going to hire. The interview involved a panel of supervisors asking questions about previous employment and work skills. They also asked about general interests, where you intended to live for the next 5-10 years, and if you wanted to become a reactor operator.

Interview Question – They asked if you plan to stay with the company longer than 5 years.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no negotiations.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Akron, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FirstEnergy in June 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted via email by recruiter that the company would like to schedule an in-person interview. I met with the hiring manager and her manager for an initial interview and was told I would be contacted within a week if they decided to ask me back for a second interview. The interview lasted about an hour. I was contacted 3 days later and asked to schedule a second interview. The second interview lasted about 20 minutes and was with the hiring manager and another department colleague. Two days after the second interview I received a call from the recruiter with a job offer. After both interviews I sent a thank you email to the individuals that I had met with.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation where you over committed yourself. What were the negative impacts of that over commitment and how did you resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was very little room for negotiation. The salary offer was set and was supposedly based on what other colleagues were making.

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Akron, OH

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FirstEnergy in January 2013.

Interview Details – The employment process begins through a staffing agency as all jobs through the contact center are temp-to-hire. Initial phone call, online personality test, then an 'aptitude' test at a FirstEnergy location. The aptitude test was, I'm assuming, just assessing basic computing skills as it did not relate to what you'll actually be doing on the job. Lastly, there is an onsite interview with a supervisor.

Interview Question – "How do you feel about being yelled to over the phone?"   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FirstEnergy.

Interview Details – Standard behavorial question and some electrical questions.

Interview Question – Nothing really too hard.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FirstEnergy interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by FirstEnergy employees and interview candidates.