FishNet Security

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kansas City, KS

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security in July 2013.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with recruiter which covered very basic networking questions. A second interview with a manager that was much more technical. Second technical interview with subject matter expert.

Interview Question – I dont remember any particularly difficult question.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

I applied through other source and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security.

Interview Details – Extensive interview process, and lengthy salary negotiation. Final offer was acceptable but not great. Position was explained as having a building process, but after the interview there turned out to be significant problems in territory. Company has mixed reputation - good in some cities and terrible in others. Company has lots of potential, but there is significant latitude given to existing employees over new arrivals.

Interview Question – How would you build a business in a highly competitive territory with little to no support?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult negotiation phase. Headhunter did most of the selling. Base was well below market for city, but upside looked very realistic.

Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at FishNet Security in December 2011.

Interview Details – I was given two phone interviews with two different people. First was with HR and the next was with another security consultant. Upon his recommendation, I was invited to Kansas City for an onsite interview with the director. This was, by far, my most difficult interview in the process. I was not asked a lot of technical questions, but a lot of questions to make sure I was up to the challenge. He provided me with a list of technologies and asked which I would be able to start consulting on immediately and which I could start consulting on within 6 months. He unofficially offered me the position and I was notified via email hours later.

Interview Question – How many of these (listed) technologies could you learn within 6 months?   Answer Question

SOC Analyst I Interview

SOC Analyst I
Overland, MO

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security in April 2014.

Interview Details – Contacted by HR (phone call) based on application for a different job - shows they actually read job applications and resumes. HR staff member worked from a very detailed script - she was not technical but was well-prepared with questions that let her report my experience, my qualifications, and how interested I was in the job

Followed by face-to-face interview with two managers. They tag-teamed from a set of detailed questions and scenarios - questions from the simple (how many subnets in a /24) to the difficult (how would you recognize a worm attack and differentiate it from a virus). Wrapped up with four detailed scenarios based on four different SIEM reports - "tell us which of these shows a real threat, which show minor threats, and which could be safely ignored" - for which the answers were timed.

Interview Question – See above - given one network monitor log entry, determine if it represents an attack or is just an anomaly   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NO negotiation on salary - there is one salary for the position. I was able to negotiate unpaid leave to take a long-planned (and paid for) vacation well before I would normally have had any time off at all

Managing Director Interview

Managing Director

Interviewed at FishNet Security

Interview Details – 3 stage interview

Interview Question – most were expected - pretty straight foward   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – really straight forward

Very Difficult Interview

MSS Security Analyst Interview

MSS Security Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at FishNet Security in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process is very similar to other companies, you get a call from an HR person for a phone interview, that HR person ask you some basic to intermediate technical question from a script they might be reading and then they call you for an in person interview.
It is the in person interview you have to be fully prepared and really need to be a walking dictionary in regards to computer security.

Interview Question – All of the questions, because you not only have to explain what certain acronyms in information security means but also what to do about it and how to report it.   Answer Question

Instructor Interview

Instructor
Overland Park, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security in June 2013.

Interview Details – They started out with a phone interview with an HR person, which seemed to go well. She was very pleasant and easy to work with. She set up an interview with the hiring manager and added that they wanted to see a 10-15 minute training presentation on any subject of my choosing, audience size maybe 2 to 10 and audience makeup unknown. No further guidance was available. Rather than choosing an extremely technical subject, since I didn't know who would be there, I chose a 10 minute presentation on a non-computer based subject.

The hiring manager didn't even know who was going to show up. It turned out to just be one other trainer. The manager did most of the talking during the 1-1/2 hour interview, and cut the presentation short. He seemed like a computer geek who didn't have any interest in anything but computer security. He also seemed more focused on establishing his own knowledge and expertise than actually conducting an interview.

At the end of the interview, he commented that he would be getting back to applicants the following week. It has now been nearly 2 months, and neither the hiring manager or HR person will return phone calls or emails. Very unprofessional.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was preparing a presentation for an unknown audience without any guidance on subject matter or interests. Unless they are just judging presentation skills, it is a completely unfair proposition.   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security in September 2009.

Interview Details – the company will first have you do a basic interview with an HR rep to look for certain identified skill sets. Once passing that initial interview, you will be given a technical interview to review knowledge on specific skill sets. After passing that, you will be given an interview with a service offering manager or principal.

Interview Question – the usual, what is your personally identifiable weakness and how do you address it.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Specialist Interview

Marketing Communications Specialist
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FishNet Security in September 2008.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was very seamless (and painless). They employer and hiring personnel made you feel relaxed and comfortable. It was obvious that the company culture was desireable.

Interview Question – When I interviewed, in 2005, they asked me what I would do to make their website more marketable and drive more traffic. Without actually looking at the overall infrastructure and taxonomy of the site...I didn't have an answer...so I told them the truth. They liked that answer!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes I could have negotiated. They are very fair as it pertains to market salaries and compensation.

Worked for FishNet Security? Contribute to the Community!