Fisher Investments Client Service Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Client Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Camas, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in May 2014.

In early April I was contacted for an initial phone interview. I was later contacted that I would be flown out to Camas, WA for Campus Bring Back Day. The whole process took roughly 4 weeks.

Other Interview Reviews for Fisher Investments

Anonymous Employee  in  Camas, WA
    Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Fisher Investments in March 2014.

The process took 3+ months from when I originally met them at a campus career fair in January. From there, I had a one on one meeting with a recruiter, which was an easy conversation, basic behavior questions, then had a phone conversation with a recruiter, which was slightly more involved. The questions he asked were behavior but also, tell me about a time when....or how have you challenged yourself...etc.

After that, I was invited to their 2nd round interview in Camas Washington. They fly you up, put you in a nice hotel, take care of you. The interviews are 4, 45 minute individual interviews. You are usually pretty dead by the end of the whole thing. I had a really positive time and enjoyed all the people I had conversations with. They also give you a presentation about their benefits and the company philosophy.

Afterwards they take you out on a bus tour of Portland, and out to dinner and drinks. All very nice.

I made the mistake of telling them I had another job offer that I needed to respond to. I got a phone call, the weekend after I got back, telling me that because I had an outstanding offer with another company, they decided not to move forward. Frankly, I was hugely insulted.

Interview Questions
    • What is something that your close friends would say is a negative attribute about you and how would you explain it otherwise.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in January 2014.

1) Found position on university job board.
    2) Two phone interviews with different recruiters
    3) Based on questions, they decide where they think you can fit.
    4) Everything was faxed! I had to fill out an application by hand and fax it. Not a big deal but it was the first time.
    5) They flew me out. It was awesome. They definitely take care of you.
    6) Interviews with 4 different employees from different parts of the firm.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral. Just make sure you know and have an opinion on the current markets.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Fisher Investments.

I saw Fisher's job listings on my university's job search website and sent them my resume and application. A recruiter called me some time later to set up an initial phone interview, and that interview was a week later and lasted about 30 minutes. Very basic fit questions. There were 2 more phone interviews after that, and a couple weeks after the last phone interview they offered to fly my to Portland to do a formal interview. I did, and there were about 8 other candidates there. They took us to dinner, showed us around Portland, and we each had 4 interviews in the office that day. A couple weeks after the formal interview, they called and offered me a position after allowing me to choose between 2 different job roles.

Interview Questions

They offered less money than I was offered from other companies, it was a less analytical job role than that of other companies, and the company had bad Glassdoor reviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Camas, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fisher Investments in March 2011.

I applied online, had a phone interview and a in person interview with two managers. The first manager asked situational questions. The next manager was the GVP of the department and he tried to make you uncomfortable,

Interview Questions
    • They asked for specific numbers of performance from my previous job. When I did not have those numbers they said I clearly don't care about my work.   Answer Question
    None, they don't negotiate.

Client Service Associate Interview

Went to a couple of campus recruiting events including a career fair and talked to a couple of younger employees. First interview was over the phone and I felt that they were impressed by my resume and wanted to proceed. If you search for 'top 20 interview questions' on google that's probably what they'll ask so just be ready for that kind of stuff. Second interview was about a month later on site. Process took about two and a half hours which was exhausting. Literally first thing in the morning the next day they called me for an interview with their VP of Client Services. When our scheduled call time rolled around my phone lost the call so we had to reschedule. When I did talk to her a couple of days later I was offered the position. I was shortly emailed the employment contract and given two weeks to respond with my answer.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about times that you failed at something or something that did not go as expected. I'll just say the obvious, which is to focus on how this experience contributed to your growth and all that. One question that threw me off was 'what is your understanding of what Fisher Investments does?' which somehow felt like a trick question at first.   Answer Question

As a current college senior, the starting salary and potential to increase it (along with benefits) were tempting, but my boyfriend and I had agreed to a year of travel since I had applied and it wasn't an opportunity worth giving that up for.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in July 2013.

I had two phone calls before I was asked to come on site. The first phone call was scheduled by HR, but the recruiter that was supposed to call me never did. I sent an email to HR explaining how I had been waiting for a phone call at the scheduled time, after which I was immediately called back and apologized to, arranging it for the next day. Not the best way to start off. My next phone call (a week later) went over really well. Then after waiting two weeks I was asked to come on site. The email told me to check in on the first floor with a receptionist, yet when I arrived there was clearly no receptionist. A sign directed me to the third floor (for visitors). When I got to the third floor and again did not see a receptionist and was told by someone walking by that interviewees should head up to the sixth floor. After checking in and then waiting for ~30 minutes to finally talk with someone, I spoke with three different people. Then two weeks after my on site interview, I was called and told management didn't think it was a match. The entire process took 6 weeks from start to finish and is entirely too long for an entry level hiring process IMO.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty typical 'about me' questions in regards to strengths and weaknesses. Interviewers also asked questions about my resume and previous experience.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Was contacted within 24 hours of submitting my application to schedule a phone interview. Had my first phone interview the next day (roughly 30 min conversation going over my resume) and they contacted me about 2 hours later to schedule a second phone interview for the next day (assuming because I am located on the east coast, not easy to get me in person). Second phone interview was spent discussing my resume, but also a lot of behavioral questions. Did not contact me again for a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Fisher Investments in November 2012.

I just happened to walk into the company one day and simply started talking to a random associate who happened to be a recruiter. By the end of the conversation he handed me his business card and said "go online and submit your resume, and fill free to use my name". From there I received a follow up call from the manager of the position I was applying for. On that first phone call they conducted a brief over-the-phone interview. At the end of that conversation they invited me in for an in person interview. At that interview, the person interviewing me simply said to me "tell me about yourself" then after I did so they merely provided me with information about the position and asked if my qualities met what they wanted. It was shortly wrapped up after that. Roughly two weeks after that interview I received a phone call from the manager informing me I got the position.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't receive any super challenging or unexpected questions. Could be due in part to the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Fisher Investments in February 2013.

My first impression was not a good one. I drove to the interview an hour early and parking was a task (very hard) at the San Mateo site. The large parking lot was full with some employees parked on the street. There were literally black and white regulatory signs in the parking lot that stated "No Fisher Parking". I mean wow! Another drawback- shifts just too long. They want you to work from 7AM until 5PM Monday through Friday. They offer a $50,000 salary per year for the Client Service Associate position.Work hours are unrealistic ( I have more than 5 years of finance experience and a bachelor's degree in finance) and it seems as though I am making less per hour than I require. They offer $50,000 for 9 hours of work (you are there for a total of 10 hours--you get a one hour lunch break). Let's do the math, since Fisher investments is hoping you won't or can't. 45 hours per week *52 weeks = 2,340 hours. $50,000 salary / 2,340 hours= an actual hourly rate of $21.36 (21.367). Don't let them trick you. Process pretty easy, one phone interview that was about 30 minutes and one in person interview with 3 people lasted about 2 hours. Know your resume without even looking and be prepared to be talkative about it, share experience. What's your weakness? No talk about finance, which should be the norm because half of them did not study finance. (Fisher investments welcomes all majors). Be prepared with at least 10-15 questions to ask the interviewer, they expect it. Also expect that with each separate interview you may end up repeating yourself. What it means is one interviewer may say "walk me through your resume" and so will the next interviewer that comes in. Irritating! Interviewed on a Monday, they gave me a job offer the same week on Friday. Think long and hard and ask yourself do I really want this position? Especially if you have babies, toddlers, or young children at home because there is no flex time. Good benefits, fully covered medical, no premiums out of your paycheck, but with the paid time off it is not a good balance. There is no sick time, etc. You only get your Paid time off.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions asked-- just know your resume front and back since the majority of the time will be spent on it and asking questions about your work experience.   Answer Question

Work hours are unrealistic and it seems as though I am making less per hour than I require. They offer $50,000 for 9 hours of work (you are there for a total of 10 hours--you get a one hour lunch break). Let's do the math, since Fisher is hoping you won't or can't. 45 hours per week *52 weeks = 2,340 hours. $50,000 salary / 2,340 hours= an actual hourly rate of $21.36 (21.367). Another reason for declining, the lack of diversity in the workplace but this is what I expect from a privately held firm. Also of note if you have any misdemeanors, felonies, bad credit, bankruptcies, securities violations, etc do not expect to be hired. They do a full credit and background check.

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!