Fisher Investments Client Service Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015

2.7

Client Service Associate Interview

Interview

Went to a couple of campus recruiting events including a career fair and talked to a couple of younger employees. First interview was over the phone and I felt that they were impressed by my resume and wanted to proceed. If you search for 'top 20 interview questions' on google that's probably what they'll ask so just be ready for that kind of stuff. Second interview was about a month later on site. Process took about two and a half hours which was exhausting. Literally first thing in the morning the next day they called me for an interview with their VP of Client Services. When our scheduled call time rolled around my phone lost the call so we had to reschedule. When I did talk to her a couple of days later I was offered the position. I was shortly emailed the employment contract and given two weeks to respond with my answer.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about times that you failed at something or something that did not go as expected. I'll just say the obvious, which is to focus on how this experience contributed to your growth and all that. One question that threw me off was 'what is your understanding of what Fisher Investments does?' which somehow felt like a trick question at first.   Answer Question

As a current college senior, the starting salary and potential to increase it (along with benefits) were tempting, but my boyfriend and I had agreed to a year of travel since I had applied and it wasn't an opportunity worth giving that up for.

Other Interview Reviews for Fisher Investments

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

1) Found position on university job board.
    2) Two phone interviews with different recruiters
    3) Based on questions, they decide where they think you can fit.
    4) Everything was faxed! I had to fill out an application by hand and fax it. Not a big deal but it was the first time.
    5) They flew me out. It was awesome. They definitely take care of you.
    6) Interviews with 4 different employees from different parts of the firm.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were behavioral. Just make sure you know and have an opinion on the current markets.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

I had two phone calls before I was asked to come on site. The first phone call was scheduled by HR, but the recruiter that was supposed to call me never did. I sent an email to HR explaining how I had been waiting for a phone call at the scheduled time, after which I was immediately called back and apologized to, arranging it for the next day. Not the best way to start off. My next phone call (a week later) went over really well. Then after waiting two weeks I was asked to come on site. The email told me to check in on the first floor with a receptionist, yet when I arrived there was clearly no receptionist. A sign directed me to the third floor (for visitors). When I got to the third floor and again did not see a receptionist and was told by someone walking by that interviewees should head up to the sixth floor. After checking in and then waiting for ~30 minutes to finally talk with someone, I spoke with three different people. Then two weeks after my on site interview, I was called and told management didn't think it was a match. The entire process took 6 weeks from start to finish and is entirely too long for an entry level hiring process IMO.

Interview Questions

• Pretty typical 'about me' questions in regards to strengths and weaknesses. Interviewers also asked questions about my resume and previous experience.   Answer Question

Client Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview

Was contacted within 24 hours of submitting my application to schedule a phone interview. Had my first phone interview the next day (roughly 30 min conversation going over my resume) and they contacted me about 2 hours later to schedule a second phone interview for the next day (assuming because I am located on the east coast, not easy to get me in person). Second phone interview was spent discussing my resume, but also a lot of behavioral questions. Did not contact me again for a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

Went in for an interview on the 14th. I prepared a lot by anticipating what questions would be asked based off other reviews. I can say I hit 80% of the ones they asked. Go in with a smile and confidence and know your material. Research the company, and make sure you prepare questions to ask them. I did 4 interviews and everyone of them asked if I had any questions. Get their point of view of the company and ask them what they like about it. This will give you a better picture of whether you want to work for them or not. Personally everyone that I have researched and heard from the 4 ladies who interviewed me was right on point. It seems like a great place to work as far as I can tell and when I toured the building I didn't walk into a business that had a slave feeling atmosphere to it. People were smiling and working and just seem to be getting the job done. I have seen many complaints and I took them with a grain of salt. I suggest you do as well.

Interview Questions

• None were "difficult" to be honest. I think if you go in knowing how an interview process works and research questions that most employers ask in any given situation then you will do great.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. The offer met the average base salary and the benefits at this company are beyond what most companies will do for you anyways. I wouldn't negotiate. Just accepted the offer and I am confident that I will rise through the ranks and earn my salary in the future.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

My first impression was not a good one. I drove to the interview an hour early and parking was a task (very hard) at the San Mateo site. The large parking lot was full with some employees parked on the street. There were literally black and white regulatory signs in the parking lot that stated "No Fisher Parking". I mean wow! Another drawback- shifts just too long. They want you to work from 7AM until 5PM Monday through Friday. They offer a $50,000 salary per year for the Client Service Associate position.Work hours are unrealistic ( I have more than 5 years of finance experience and a bachelor's degree in finance) and it seems as though I am making less per hour than I require. They offer $50,000 for 9 hours of work (you are there for a total of 10 hours--you get a one hour lunch break). Let's do the math, since Fisher investments is hoping you won't or can't. 45 hours per week *52 weeks = 2,340 hours. $50,000 salary / 2,340 hours= an actual hourly rate of $21.36 (21.367). Don't let them trick you. Process pretty easy, one phone interview that was about 30 minutes and one in person interview with 3 people lasted about 2 hours. Know your resume without even looking and be prepared to be talkative about it, share experience. What's your weakness? No talk about finance, which should be the norm because half of them did not study finance. (Fisher investments welcomes all majors). Be prepared with at least 10-15 questions to ask the interviewer, they expect it. Also expect that with each separate interview you may end up repeating yourself. What it means is one interviewer may say "walk me through your resume" and so will the next interviewer that comes in. Irritating! Interviewed on a Monday, they gave me a job offer the same week on Friday. Think long and hard and ask yourself do I really want this position? Especially if you have babies, toddlers, or young children at home because there is no flex time. Good benefits, fully covered medical, no premiums out of your paycheck, but with the paid time off it is not a good balance. There is no sick time, etc. You only get your Paid time off.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions asked-- just know your resume front and back since the majority of the time will be spent on it and asking questions about your work experience.   Answer Question

Work hours are unrealistic and it seems as though I am making less per hour than I require. They offer $50,000 for 9 hours of work (you are there for a total of 10 hours--you get a one hour lunch break). Let's do the math, since Fisher is hoping you won't or can't. 45 hours per week *52 weeks = 2,340 hours. $50,000 salary / 2,340 hours= an actual hourly rate of $21.36 (21.367). Another reason for declining, the lack of diversity in the workplace but this is what I expect from a privately held firm. Also of note if you have any misdemeanors, felonies, bad credit, bankruptcies, securities violations, etc do not expect to be hired. They do a full credit and background check.

Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments (Camas, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

For me the interview process consisted of a phone interview (45 mins) and then they invited me to Camas, WA. The logistics were very good and they paid for all travel related expenses. The interviews are not hard (2 managers and 1 VP, 45 mins each) and ALL questions are behavioral. They did not ask any technical questions, which is very surprising considering it is an investment management firm. Business education is not required and higher education is frowned upon. I still find it very strange that the company paid for travel for everyone in my group. Most of us did not have that much experience (some had none!) so be aware of relocating and becoming a sitting duck. The environment is very competitive but they try to assure you that everyone is still friends (makes me believe otherwise). However if do you get an all paid trip I would check it out. Read about Ken Fisher and don't even bother opening your finance books. The whole interview process is a big personality test to see if you would fit within their environment.

Interview Questions

• Nothing really unexpected but a lot of back to back questions. Practice thinking/answering quickly.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fisher Investments (Vancouver, WA).

Interview

Applied online through university website, they contacted me and gave a 30min phone interview. Asked general stuff, education, work experience, greatest achievement, then was invited to an in person group interview. Paid my own travel expenses, met with a group of about twelve applicants. A day of group presentations, then each applicant has a one on one with three different managers. Same run of questions. Called me back after I called them a week after the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations...but they quote 45K a year, this is true, but it is a base pay plus over time. The days are ten hours long, so you get two hours of overtime daily.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

I just happened to walk into the company one day and simply started talking to a random associate who happened to be a recruiter. By the end of the conversation he handed me his business card and said "go online and submit your resume, and fill free to use my name". From there I received a follow up call from the manager of the position I was applying for. On that first phone call they conducted a brief over-the-phone interview. At the end of that conversation they invited me in for an in person interview. At that interview, the person interviewing me simply said to me "tell me about yourself" then after I did so they merely provided me with information about the position and asked if my qualities met what they wanted. It was shortly wrapped up after that. Roughly two weeks after that interview I received a phone call from the manager informing me I got the position.

Interview Questions

• Didn't receive any super challenging or unexpected questions. Could be due in part to the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Client Services Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments (San Mateo, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

My process started at a Career Fair at my university in which a recruiter reached out to me for an initial interview on campus. The interview went well, it was short and he gave me 15 of the 30 minutes allotted to ask questions. After about 2 weeks, I was contacted by my recruiter for an on-site interview in which they flew me to San Mateo, CA. I was interviewed 1on1 by 3 different managers. There were 12 others being interviewed at the same time as me.

Interview Questions

• There were not many difficult questions. Most of the interview was spent detailing what was on my resume.   Answer Question