Fisher Investments Investment Counselor Interview Questions

Updated Mar 7, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fisher Investments in February 2015.

I submitted a resume to a recruiter based on a basic job description. I received a quick return email to set up a phone conversation. This phone conversation was about 20 minutes and fairly easy. From here my resume was submitted to Fisher. the next day Fisher contacted my and to set up an interview with their internal recruiter over the phone. It was an easy and conversational interview. This was Fisher's initial interview which would have led to an additional interview.

Interview Questions
  • What are you most proud of in your career?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Fisher Investments

Investment Counselor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments.

I went through 3 phone interviews with Fisher, starting with a general HR recruiter, then progressing to an Investment Counselor recruiter, and finally interviewing with an Investment Counselor Manager (hiring manager). After the 3rd interview, Fisher contacted me to complete a formal, online application (including regulatory questions, personal profile info like SSN & birthdate, and 3 industry-specific references). My contact told me the next step would be for him to circulate my file to several hiring managers, and then if selected for further steps, they'd bring me in for an in-person panel interview. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected at this time. I felt good about my interviews, but knew I would be in competition with others. The most frustrating part of this process is they told me the company's policy was not to say anything about the reason why I wasn't selected. No feedback at all.

Interview Questions
    • The 2nd and 3rd interviewers wanted to talk with me about the economy, markets, etc. This was actually the route I was hoping they'd go, as I wanted an opportunity to demonstrate my conversational style of talking about investments, i.e., the way I would talk with a Fisher client as an Investment Counselor.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Camas, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments.

Applied via the website and was contacted by a recruiter the next day. Very straight forward questions about work experience, background and likes/dislikes of current job. If looking at a job in the Camas office, I strongly recommend spending a good couple of days checking out the area before making a decision to relocate as it's not the greatest location, unless you're married with kids (if you are, it's ideal).

Interview Questions
    • Examples of leadership and value add (sales) in previous jobs. Really pressed to try and get folks to say negative things, which was off-putting.   Answer Question
    Be firm on what you want to make here, they'll try to offer you the least they can get away with.

Investment Counselor Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments.

One phone screen, one phone interview. One meet and greet dinner in my area followed by short in person interview. Flew out for another panel interview with a 3 managers followed by more short one on ones.with each manager. 4 hour process. More intense than other interview processes with past firms.

Interview Questions
    They offered at my high range expectation for comp. The moving reimbursement ended up only covering half of moving expenses. Should have asked for more there but I didn't have time to get moving estimates before accepting.

Investment Counselor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Several Interviews. They were incredibly easy in my case. I have heard that some interviewers can be bears but they have usually decided whether or not they are going to hire you once they invite you to campus assuming you aren't completely incompetent, which to be fair they aren't very good judges of.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, they asked me to elaborate on questions after they were answered again and again but that is just a technique used by people with little training which was readily apparent in each interview.   Answer Question
    negotiation was not discussed I felt like it was a fair offer

Investment Counselor Interview

All three interviews were done over the phone. Questions ranged from anything pertaining to the markets to the more standard question such as what is your biggest fear. Make sure you are up on what is going on in the markets and how it could hurt or help FI. Overall, the the interview process was very well done and to the point.

Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Fisher Investments in August 2014.

Applied online, and at the moment have only had a phone interview. I'm still waiting to hear back. The process is typical for most jobs. Apply online, get a phone interview, have a face-to-face interview, wait for call back.

Interview Questions
    • Initial phone interview covered my resume and general background questions. Most difficult, was why Fisher Investments.   View Answer

Investment Counselor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Interview and then a phone call followed by a few days of training when hired. This was to learn the culture and history of the firm. Be positive and outgoing and eager to learn and that should be enough.

Able to negotiate

Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fisher Investments.

Was contacted by a recruiter about 2 months ago for a position with Fisher in the San Francisco area. Thought it would be cool since it's warm and that's a great area. After a couple of phone interviews, I was invited to interview in the Camas, WA headquarters. Was booked roundtrip to stay at the Marriott outside of Portland and given a rental car. The area is up and coming with some tech companies moving to Washington for tax reasons, etc and the weather is of course rainy. The area where the office is located is basically a mixture of open farmland and newer developments.

On the day of the interviews I thought I was well prepared after reading a plethora of interview questions on glassdoor and elsewhere. I met with three people; two who would potentially be my manager and at the end a guy who apparently was their manager. The first two interviewers asked me a lot of preplanned questions going through my resume and work history, etc then going into some deeper questions about the position and location. There was some role playing, questions about the market, and personal questions. Each interview was about an hour and there was nothing too atypical. The interviews got progressively more difficult, and the last interviewer was a little standoffish. This interview was less than a half hour and he didn't even give me his card. I asked a lot of questions about their marketing campaign, retaining clients, compensation structure, the location(s), and upward mobility within the company. Then I asked a question about Ken's exit strategy (planning for his retirement) since he's close to 65. The short answer was that Ken only planned to slow down and not actually retire, but I got the feeling like I crossed an imaginary line somehow when I mentioned that this answer contradicted what a recruiter had told me over the phone ("WHO WAS THAT"--wonder where his head is buried now).

From what I gather this is basically a formally structured, "drink the kool-aid" type financial services company that utilizes a single equity focused investment strategy primarily marketed to retirees. This may or may not be appropriate as most competing firms advise retirees to invest up to half of their overall portfolio (or more) in fixed income and income focused alternatives in the event of a 2008 style market downturn. So I guess basically your success in this job--a customer service/client retention focused position--would revolve mostly around avoiding market volatility and hoping for a bull market since the management of client's portfolios is basically out of your control (managed by an investment committee) and it's simply your job to relay that focus to the client. Essentially I think what they are looking for in this position is someone who is high touch and friendly/happy/upbeat enough over the phone to overcome the negative response to a potentially inappropriate client portfolio makeup.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you failed at something   Answer Question
    • Tell me something about yourself that isn't on your resume   Answer Question
    • Role play: How will the current world events affect my portfolio and should I sell out due to market volatility   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Fisher Investments in December 2013.

I was called in for SEVEN interviews and was not offered the job because my credit check did not meet their standards. That was really irritating, especially because I was upfront with them from the beginning about a mark on there, but they still wasted my time... and money because I had to rent cars to go out there. Also, when I came onsite for an interview they made me wait because they "needed to find people to do it."

In the end, I didn't really want the job anyways because they literally have 100+ people doing the exact same job I was applying for. As others have mentioned, it was a very "boiler-room" atmosphere (for 4 floors) that my guide tried to hype up, but seemed really depressing to me. I asked repeatedly how a person was supposed to advance in an environment like that where there are so many people in the same position and they just told me you had to work harder than everyone else, which was pretty vague in my opinion.

Oh, and I just had a person from Fisher try to recruit me on LinkedIn again. There's apparently no communication or record-keeping, as well. So happy I didn't even have to consider the option!!

Interview Questions
    • The exact same questions in every interview on basic skills and applicable work history. You will go on auto-pilot by the second one.   Answer Question