Fisher Investments Interview Questions & Reviews in San Mateo, CA

2.9

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments.

First there was a phone interview with someone from HR, a recruiter, standard walk me through your resume, I didn't remember applying to the job! Then there was a second phone interview with a manager in the department, standard tell me about your background questions, asked about what I ultimately wanted to do, why I was interested in my field of focus, what made me a unique applicant, and why they should consider me over others.
    Then there was an on-site interview, they helped arrange travel which was nice. At the on-site i met with several people, they didn't let me know in advance how many sessions I would be attending so I was there several hours and starving. I would have planned differently had I known. At the on-site they were all very pleasant. More standard, why you questions, more depth into specific background experiences. At no point in the interview did they mention their 50hr work week requirements, I had to learn that from reviews of the company and confirmed it with the person who gave me a tour of the office. The office itself is falling apart and old, looks like it was designed in the 80's. They favor an open office environment so there is absolutely no privacy or peace and quiet.
    After the on-site there was another phone interview where I was put through the wringer. Lots of tough questions about my professional style.

Interview Questions
    • What is the most creative thing you have done and what is the most innovative thing you have done? Give me real world examples. What did you like least about your last manager?   Answer Question
    Not really room for negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in March 2014.

Found out about Fisher via campus job fair and applied through company's web portal. I was then contacted by HR about ten days later. Initial phone interview went well, about 45 min of going over resume and behavioral questions. All those questions I saw on previous candidates Glassdoor interview posts. Six days later was contacted by same HR rep to set up a phone interview with a senior HR rep. That interview was about 30 min and was more about matching skill set with available positions. All in all nothing too difficult. I was told that they would contact me within a week.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in January 2014.

1) Found position on university job board.
    2) Two phone interviews with different recruiters
    3) Based on questions, they decide where they think you can fit.
    4) Everything was faxed! I had to fill out an application by hand and fax it. Not a big deal but it was the first time.
    5) They flew me out. It was awesome. They definitely take care of you.
    6) Interviews with 4 different employees from different parts of the firm.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were behavioral. Just make sure you know and have an opinion on the current markets.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Fisher Investments in September 2013.

The initial steps towards getting an interview were fairly simply. However, much of it was due to luck and position. Our career development website (my college jobs listing page) had listed an investment associate position. After some research of the company, I had found a close friend worked in a similar position in a different office. Luckily, an application on the career development website as well as an employee referral got me a interview fairly quickly (within a week). The interview process is similar to other companies of this size, a phone interview, panel interview and some others (which unfortunately I had not made it that far to say). The phone interview was straightforward, looking to understand your ambitions within the company, for yourself at the moment and for yourself 10 years out. They asked quite a few questions that focused on experiences found on resumes and personal stories, such as "what was your most proud moment in the past year?" or "Why did you choose your college? and were you happy with that decision?" Overall the interview lasted about 45 minutes. After the interviewer finished with their questions, they finish up if you have questions. Unfortunately, the interviewer happened to be very a-type, and overly self-confident in all his experiences, despite being at Fisher for a short period of time. This led to an extra 15 minutes of essentially bragging and gloating, something not particular attractive from an applicant's point of view. That was the last interaction I had with them.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in November 2013.

Went through 2 rounds of phone interviews-BASIC BEHAVIORAL QUESTIONS, RESUME SCREENING, POSITION OVERVIEW.

GOT INVITED FOR FINAL ROUND AT FISHER- MET WITH 4 EMPLOYEES, EACH ASKED BASIC BEHAVIORAL QUESTIONS, WHY FISHER? (ONE OF THE GUYS LOOKS LIKE LEX LUTHOR AND THE WHOLE TIME I INTERVIEWED I HAD TO KEEP A STRAIGHT FACE AND NOT LAUG :/ )

Interview Questions
    • greatest weakness and how will this job help you avoid it?   Answer Question

CUBICLE LIFESTYLE-I ENTERED THE BUILDING AND SAW CUBICLE AFTER CUBICLE AFTER CUBICLE AND TO BE HONEST IT WAS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED. I AM ALL FOR FINANCIAL SERVICES BUT I WANT SOMEWHERE WITH CULTURE AND ATTITUDE. FISHER LACKS THAT.

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in September 2013.

Applied online and they contacted me. Set up a phone interview about 30 min. Called the next week for an in person interview at the San Mateo office. Lasted about 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • Typical behavioral. They were very interested on what other companies I was applying too.   View Answer

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments.

Got a call that lasted about 5 minutes telling me they were interested so we set up a phone interview for a week later. In this call they asked me when I could start, what my GPA was, etc.

Next interview was about 30-45 minutes and they asked me on my work experience and school project experience that I had in a group projects setting. They asked questions about the company so learn a bit about them. They also asked why you want to work there and why that position.

Interview Questions
    • What projects have you completed in the past that will help with this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Fisher Investments in July 2013.

I had two phone calls before I was asked to come on site. The first phone call was scheduled by HR, but the recruiter that was supposed to call me never did. I sent an email to HR explaining how I had been waiting for a phone call at the scheduled time, after which I was immediately called back and apologized to, arranging it for the next day. Not the best way to start off. My next phone call (a week later) went over really well. Then after waiting two weeks I was asked to come on site. The email told me to check in on the first floor with a receptionist, yet when I arrived there was clearly no receptionist. A sign directed me to the third floor (for visitors). When I got to the third floor and again did not see a receptionist and was told by someone walking by that interviewees should head up to the sixth floor. After checking in and then waiting for ~30 minutes to finally talk with someone, I spoke with three different people. Then two weeks after my on site interview, I was called and told management didn't think it was a match. The entire process took 6 weeks from start to finish and is entirely too long for an entry level hiring process IMO.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty typical 'about me' questions in regards to strengths and weaknesses. Interviewers also asked questions about my resume and previous experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Fisher Investments in June 2012.

You are put through the wringer. Be prepared because if you are going for the AE position in CA, you will meet with three different people, all of whom have influence over whether you will be hired. The first person is usually an assistant, but the second and third individuals are your boss and GVP, respectively.

Interview Questions
    • A boss would ask questions such as: How much do you know about FI?
      How much sales experience do you have? Why are you the right fit for this job? Just be careful about how you answer the questions, none of them is challenging, but you have to answer them correctly because they weed out people easily.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation process. Not with this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Fisher Investments in November 2012.

I just happened to walk into the company one day and simply started talking to a random associate who happened to be a recruiter. By the end of the conversation he handed me his business card and said "go online and submit your resume, and fill free to use my name". From there I received a follow up call from the manager of the position I was applying for. On that first phone call they conducted a brief over-the-phone interview. At the end of that conversation they invited me in for an in person interview. At that interview, the person interviewing me simply said to me "tell me about yourself" then after I did so they merely provided me with information about the position and asked if my qualities met what they wanted. It was shortly wrapped up after that. Roughly two weeks after that interview I received a phone call from the manager informing me I got the position.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't receive any super challenging or unexpected questions. Could be due in part to the position I was applying for.   Answer Question

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!