Fitbit

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.8

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

It started with a Phone interview with hiring manager. That went ofk eventhough the recruiting team didn't schedule the time properly...miscommunication.

They then invited me in for an onsite interview and I made plans to stay there from 10-4 as they stated. During the interview, the first 2 people seemed very nice, however, to note...I believe the interviewing was very much specific to how things function at Fitbit. That being said, since I have been working at different companies I have had to learn many things from the ground up--every place is indeed different and QA styles are not generally not that incredibly difficult to pick up. I did think I was a good fit and I absolutely know I can do the position well, however, I believe the focus was a bit Fitbit specific. I then met with the next 2 people...nice people good conversation. Then there was a break for lunch around 1pm.

Right after the second interviewer when I was assuming I was going to lunch around 1pm, then the recruiter coordinator came in and said to go home. I then got no further feedback from HR. This is completely unprofessional and the amount of effort on my part that was put in to be dismissed in a very unappreciative, disrepectful fashion really makes me think quite differently about the company itself. The onsite interview style combined with how HR functions at Fitbit, really puts a damper on how the appears to the public, especially if this continues with other candidates.

If this is what is normal for the culture in how they treat people...I would beware! Don't do it! Many other competitors....don't get roped into this one! Surely they will tank someday...product is not that revolutionary.

Intern Interview

I've been a long time fan. Sought out company, interacted with campus recruiters, non-technical phone conversation focusing on experience and fit for role. multiple technical phone interviews with members of team.

Research and Development Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Fitbit.

I had an initial HR interview which was about an hour long. Mainly, questions were asked about my experiences, why I wanted to join Fitbit, how much I knew about the company, and what changes I would currently make to the company's products.

Then I heard nothing for about a month, but finally I was set up to interview with the head of R&D. We talked a lot in the beginning about the company, and then next came the technical problems.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really difficult or unexpected, although this was my first technical interview ever.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fitbit.

HR phone screening then Employee phone screening/interview. Unfortunately, I got rejected at that stage.

For the employee interview, I think they are looking for very specific researchers because the employee (a research scientist or more senior position in the research group) asked me very detailed questions about one of my research projects. I worked on that project 5 years ago and didn't publish anything seriously. He basically wanted to know if one problem can be solved using my approach. I told him what I found was that problem must use other features in order to make a robust decision. I think that's not what he wanted. I could feel his attitude was different after that question. The interview ended shortly afterwards without the technical part mentioned at the beginning. This is kind of strange but I guess if I wouldn't be hired anyway, this saved my time.

Interview Questions
    • Like I mentioned above, it was a specific question about an algorithm and the approach in general.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online – interviewed at Fitbit in October 2014.

Very unprofessional recruiters and the hiring process. I applied for the role through their website opening. Got contacted right away for a phone screen. Went well and was called for an onsite. I was asked for 5 hours of time and by the time I reached there half of the I interviewers backed out. Was called for another onsite a week later and this also went well. Had issues to schedule interviews on my preferred time and the responses were very delayed with no communication for a day or 2. Then they insisted for another onsite that I made through and got the offer. It took 5 weeks to get through this process instead of initially committed 2-3 weeks.
    After all this effort of spending time to go there they screwed up on offer as it didn't meet my expectations. No clear negotiation responses from the recruiter and due to her naive approach it cost me this job which I was very interested in. I still accepted but they withdrew for no reason. How poor that recruiter could be who didn't make an effort to call up and sort it out.
    My suggestion will be to stay away from Fitbit as they have no ethics, poor communication and simply very confused. It could purely turn out waste of your time.

Interview Questions
    Once an offer is made be aware of time given to accept the offer. The recruiter will make a mistake of giving you extra time and they might have a counter offer for another person. They will give you time to negotiate and if you press hard they can withdraw the offer esp of the other person accepted and you will get no reason.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Fitbit.

I had two phone interviews in December which went fine. In January, my recruiter told me that they were going on a "hiring freeze", and I would hear back at the end of January. I had an offer from another company with a deadline, which I communicated to my recruiter. The end of January passes by with no word from her. February comes, and even after multiple emails, still no word. Not even a rejection-- my recruiter actually just cut off all contact with me. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Mostly algorithms / coding questions.   Answer Question

Senior Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Fitbit in September 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. During the first phone screening I was told the of the hiring process. The first is the initial phone screening with the recruiter. The second interview would be a phone interview with one of the engineers and would require an internet connection to share code. The third part would be a coding challenge. The last stage would be an in person interview with the team.

During the technical phone interview I was asked the basic interview questions such as "Why are you looking to leave your current position?" and other questions questions of that nature. The technical portion of the interview was to write a function to merge two linked lists so the numbers are in order.

1 -> 3 -> 5 -> 7
    2 -> 4 -> 6 -> 8 -> 10

I was told at the end of the technical interview that I had done very well and I should expect to move on to the coding challenge.

The coding challenge was taking a binary file that has 12-bit data sets and print the highest 32 values and the last 32 values. The coding challenge took me about 4-5 hours to complete. After I submitted the coding challenge I was told to expect a response in a week.

It took two weeks to respond and I was told that I would not be moving forward in the interview process and also stated they could not give me specifics on why I was not considered.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions are pretty standard for interviews. The technical questions were focused on working through a problem instead of general coding knowledge questions.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Fitbit.

Initial conversations with recruiter were good. The schedule was changed with no prior warning.

Spoke with a Product Leader who was clearly not interested/engaged in the interview and could not articulate what their strategy was. Questions were behavioral questions. Never bothered to address what role they were hiring for. I think a decision was made in advance

They couldn't be bothered to answer any questions. Nor did they seem very thrilled that I pointed out flaws with their existing product/ strategy.

Perhaps the recruiting strategy is as flawed as their product strategy and their user experience.

Overall, the interview experience was horrible. They have certainly lost me as a customer. Waiting for the iWatch and Jawbone to leave them in the dust.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions

Where do you see yourself ? Why FitBit? What would you change?

Answer Question

Finance Position Reporting to the Vice President of Finance/Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Fitbit in May 2014.

The beginning of the process was pretty straight-forward. I received an email and had a phone interview with the HR recruiter. An onsite interview was scheduled shortly thereafter. The week of the scheduled interview, Fitbit rescheduled due to some "scheduling switches". That wasn't a big deal for me since I had plenty of notice. A new interview date was selected. Then, on the day of the 2nd onsite interview attempt, I receive an email less than 4 hours before my scheduled interview time and was informed that the VP of HR/Finance was not available. I was a little shocked that I did not receive a phone call instead given the short notice. So we rescheduled the appointment to another date. I used a vacation day and wasted it on that day.

Prior the the 3rd onsite interview attempt, I confirmed with the HR contact that the appointment would still occur since I had reservations about the last attempt. I showed up and interviewed with the first person who was 20 minutes late. I thought the interview went well. I was supposed to interview the VP next, and this is where the 3-ring circus began. First, I am moved to a room adjacent to the room next to mine due to a room conflict. The room I moved to appeared to be the same size as the room I had just been in, plus I pointed out that there were some personal belongings left in the new room. Then, I am moved yet again to another room after about 5 minutes. After about 20 minutes of moving and waiting for the interviewer to show (I am in the room by myself), someone enters the room to interview me, but it is not the person I was supposed to interview with. We spoke for maybe 20 minutes or so until we were kicked out by the Fitbit employees who had a scheduled meeting in the room. The HR person then told me that was the end of the interview.

I understand people could be busy with work, but that was downright degrading. Not only did I waste 2 days for onsite interviews, the missing interviewer couldn't even spare one minute to apologize for not being able to meet as expected, let alone actually meet with a potential direct report. If they treat potential employees this way, how do they treat you when you are hired?

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have any difficult questions to answer that I can remember.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Fitbit.

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn based on my past experience and told me a bit about Fitbit as a company. I was interested, so he connected me with them directly, and I scheduled a phone screen for a week or so later.

The phone screen was with the Director of Engineering, but he failed to identify his role or tell me much about what he did at the company (even when asked). He asked me if I had experience with a variety of technologies that they apparently use, which I indicated that I did not (my resume lists technologies I have used most recently). He asked me what sort of engineer I was, then asked me what my ideal job was. When I explained that I would prefer to not do certain aspects of the stack, he was insulting. So... to say that we were off on a bad start would be an understatement.

At this point, he asked me to do a technical exercise online. As someone with a fair amount of interiewing experience on both sides of the desk, I'd say that it was probably the hardest phone screen question I'd encountered. At the end, he thanked me.

My biggest issues with the screen are two:
    - Insulting a candidate when you ask them about their ideal role is unprofessional.
    - They entirely failed to follow up with me after the screen; even though I am sure they did not want to continue the interview process, it's unprofessional to fail to respond end the process and tell the candidate their status.