Fitbit Interview Questions & Reviews

29 interviews

2.8

Principal Embedded Linux Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Fitbit in February 2014.

Phone screen with HR, followed by phone screen with hiring manager, followed by "at home" coding project, followed by on-site interview in San Francisco.

The interview with the hiring manager wasn't very difficult. The at-home coding project seemed easy enough to me. They were fairly flexible in terms of scheduling the on-site (hiring manager mentioned that he "wasn't in any hurry" to fill this position).

Interview in S.F. wasn't quite what I'd expected. The job description was for an embedded Linux generalist, but it seemed to me that what they were looking for was more of a low-level firmware specialist who could do Linux if necessary. It wasn't really clear to me why they were looking for an embedded Linux person… the Fitbit devices of today are nowhere near being capable of running Linux (even very experimental stripped down versions), and the power envelope that these devices must run in lead me to believe that will continue to be true for a long time (it may _eventually_ be possible to run a Linux system on a button-cell battery, but the state of things isn't very close to that right now). It was clear from talking to the people there that they weren't quite sure what this position was all about either. After talking to about 6 people, the hiring manager came in and told me that they'd decided that I wasn't what they were looking for, so I had the whole afternoon and evening to wander around San Francisco before going home. Not a terrible deal, but I wish I could have gotten more out of it. I somewhat expected that the interview might be a little strange, since they told me that I was the first person that they'd ever brought in for this position.

I noticed that both of the "embedded Linux" positions posted on their website remained for about 5 months after I interviewed and then disappeared. I don't know if that's because they found someone who they thought was a fit, or if they just decided that the position didn't make sense at all for them.

Interview Questions
    • Someone asked how to count the number of bits in a 32 bit integer.   View Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Fitbit in April 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter on linked in, then 15 min phone screening with another recruiter. 45 min phone call with an engineer asking about my experience and telling me about the role.
    Then the on site interview, they were still moving in but the place looked really nice, they had awesome very healthy snacks, treadmill desks etc. looked busy but people seemed happy. I was set for 6 individual meetings, starting with engineers that would be on my team. First guy was very nice asked me about microcontrollers, fets, and a pcb design scenario.

Second interviewer was supposed to take me to lunch and if she had maybe things would've turned out differently. Was going ok talking about basic filters and then asked about op amp gain when negative feedback is present. I drew the circuit gave the basic derivation and my answer. Spent the next 15 min going over this simple circuit dumbing it down until we got an answer she accepted, I then pointed out that this was identical to what I first wrote to which she replied " oh sorry I must have been confused". Maybe she was testing my communication skills or maybe we just weren't on the same wavelength, but she seemed pretty annoyed after that and though I did my best on her following questions about power supply topologies I had a feeling she wasn't recommending me.

Next a manager took me for lunch, just had casual conversation about work, goals, company culture etc. when I got back the director of engineering informed me my interview was over and that I just didn't have my "fundamentals" down. He didn't even shake my hand which was the only moment that I felt anyone had been rude to me there. He tried to offer some sight seeing tips in case I was spending the rest of my day in SF, but I just thanked him and went home.

Overall seems like an awesome place but I guess I just didn't explain things simply enough to my second interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the parts of a micro controller, what are some different architectures.   View Answer
    • Draw passive low pass filter, what is the gain?

Draw an active low pass filter with op amp and negative feedback, what is the gain?
      Explain how negative feedback works.
        Answer Question
    • What are some common power supply topologies, how does a linear regulator work?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Fitbit in January 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin, we sent a few emails about the position and other doubt that i had. Finally we schedule a phone call with recruiter and one of the team leaders. Phone call was really good, just chatting about my interest in joining Fitbit and what cool stuff they were doing, which got me really excited, so recruiter said that will contact me to schedule an online coding interview or a on-site interview... NEVER received that email or phone call. Five months later i received another email from a new recruiter asking if NOW i have interest in new opportunities in Fitbit, since it was NOT of interest then... terrible

Interview Questions
    • just chatting about position, what they were doing and what cool technologies were they using   Answer Question

Finance Position Reporting to the Vice President of Finance/Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Fitbit in May 2014.

The beginning of the process was pretty straight-forward. I received an email and had a phone interview with the HR recruiter. An onsite interview was scheduled shortly thereafter. The week of the scheduled interview, Fitbit rescheduled due to some "scheduling switches". That wasn't a big deal for me since I had plenty of notice. A new interview date was selected. Then, on the day of the 2nd onsite interview attempt, I receive an email less than 4 hours before my scheduled interview time and was informed that the VP of HR/Finance was not available. I was a little shocked that I did not receive a phone call instead given the short notice. So we rescheduled the appointment to another date. I used a vacation day and wasted it on that day.

Prior the the 3rd onsite interview attempt, I confirmed with the HR contact that the appointment would still occur since I had reservations about the last attempt. I showed up and interviewed with the first person who was 20 minutes late. I thought the interview went well. I was supposed to interview the VP next, and this is where the 3-ring circus began. First, I am moved to a room adjacent to the room next to mine due to a room conflict. The room I moved to appeared to be the same size as the room I had just been in, plus I pointed out that there were some personal belongings left in the new room. Then, I am moved yet again to another room after about 5 minutes. After about 20 minutes of moving and waiting for the interviewer to show (I am in the room by myself), someone enters the room to interview me, but it is not the person I was supposed to interview with. We spoke for maybe 20 minutes or so until we were kicked out by the Fitbit employees who had a scheduled meeting in the room. The HR person then told me that was the end of the interview.

I understand people could be busy with work, but that was downright degrading. Not only did I waste 2 days for onsite interviews, the missing interviewer couldn't even spare one minute to apologize for not being able to meet as expected, let alone actually meet with a potential direct report. If they treat potential employees this way, how do they treat you when you are hired?

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really have any difficult questions to answer that I can remember.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fitbit.

Initial conversations with recruiter were good. The schedule was changed with no prior warning.

Spoke with a Product Leader who was clearly not interested/engaged in the interview and could not articulate what their strategy was. Questions were behavioral questions. Never bothered to address what role they were hiring for. I think a decision was made in advance

They couldn't be bothered to answer any questions. Nor did they seem very thrilled that I pointed out flaws with their existing product/ strategy.

Perhaps the recruiting strategy is as flawed as their product strategy and their user experience.

Overall, the interview experience was horrible. They have certainly lost me as a customer. Waiting for the iWatch and Jawbone to leave them in the dust.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions

Where do you see yourself ? Why FitBit? What would you change?
        Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fitbit in April 2014.

Worst Experience. First of all the recruiter didn't get back for a long time. I had 3 offers and told them that I really want to pursue this as I thought their device is pretty cool. I only replied because the recruiter contacted me through linkedin. After many days of back and forth email they got someone setup to interview me. According to me I did very well as I solved the coding problems online completely without errors! I even wrote tests that need to pass. Infact it was even better than Apple and Amazons interview and the recruiter got back saying that there were technical lackings. Anways I have a nice pre-ipo company thats going public this year that came through and I would have definitely rejected this. I enjoy interviews and this result was the only one that has ever surprised me. But for those who are in similar boat who have cleared Apples interviews or Amazons interviews get to know this: if you cleared the problems providing best solution too then there is no guarantee they will call you. You perhaps don't deserve them for in my case there was NO reason for rejection!!!

Interview Questions
    • Easy objective-C coding problems related to linked lists, stacks. The solutions are very easy but to get them to compile there and run with solutions isn't very easy unless you are good. I could get to solve them completely fault proof!   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at Fitbit.

A recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn based on my past experience and told me a bit about Fitbit as a company. I was interested, so he connected me with them directly, and I scheduled a phone screen for a week or so later.

The phone screen was with the Director of Engineering, but he failed to identify his role or tell me much about what he did at the company (even when asked). He asked me if I had experience with a variety of technologies that they apparently use, which I indicated that I did not (my resume lists technologies I have used most recently). He asked me what sort of engineer I was, then asked me what my ideal job was. When I explained that I would prefer to not do certain aspects of the stack, he was insulting. So... to say that we were off on a bad start would be an understatement.

At this point, he asked me to do a technical exercise online. As someone with a fair amount of interiewing experience on both sides of the desk, I'd say that it was probably the hardest phone screen question I'd encountered. At the end, he thanked me.

My biggest issues with the screen are two:
    - Insulting a candidate when you ask them about their ideal role is unprofessional.
    - They entirely failed to follow up with me after the screen; even though I am sure they did not want to continue the interview process, it's unprofessional to fail to respond end the process and tell the candidate their status.

Embedded QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fitbit in March 2014.

Found the job posting on Indeed website. Had two phone interviews and an on-site visit. First phone interview was with the recruiter. She was very nice and easy to talk to. The conversation was mostly about what my job duties currently are and how they relate to the position I was applying for. The second phone interview was with a Firmware QA Engineer. The conversation wasn't as technical as I had imagined it would be. We just had a nice discussion about my job duties and responsibilities, why I want to leave my current job, and why I want to work for Fitbit. We also discussed a little bit about debugging hardware issues and travelling to China for work.

The on-site interview was quite the learning experience. I have only had one other technical interview, which was nothing compared to this at all. Total, I met with 4 groups of 2 people. Each for an hour at a time. I started with two more Firmware QA Engineers, both were super nice guys. We talked about the "day-to-day" routine for them. Next, I met with the Firmware Project Manager and a Program Manager for Beta Testing. They took me to lunch and we talked more about who I am as an employee/person and how I handle stress. We ate cheeseburgers while we talked. Overall it was a nice conversation. Both employee's really enjoyed the people they work with and appreciated their coworkers.

After those interviews were the meetings with the Firmware Engineers. Again, each group I met with was very nice. I spoke with 2 engineers at a time. Each seemed extremely intelligent and highly knowledgeable. No engineer I spoke with was rude, arrogant, or condescending in any way (sometimes that can be the case with engineers). The conversations were about the following: programming knowledge, debugging hardware/firmware problems, solving a generic work-related problem on the white-board, and what my passion is in engineering. I think of myself as a bright person and I know that I'm a relatively talented EE for the little experience I actually how. The engineers that I met were truly inspiring. They all loved the people they work with and knew SO MUCH.

They let me direct the topics of conversation. If I mentioned something, they would ask many questions in order to see exactly how deep my knowledge of that topic was. And when my knowledge of said topic ran out, they did not make me feel bad or stupid. They are all very gifted in discovering how much you actually know. I learned that if I mention something in an interview, then I need to be ready to thoroughly discuss it. I can't bring up some project I worked on unless I know EVERYTHING about it.

Lastly, I met with the System Architect. He is the head of the Firmware Department. Nice person. Short 30-40 minute conversation.

Workplace was very small. Everyone was working SO close to the person next to them. Then again, they are moving offices to a larger space.

Interview Questions
    • "On the white-board, write the code to reverse a linked-list in C."   View Answer
    • How do you handle stress?   View Answer
    • What are the pull-up resistors used for in I2C communication?   View Answer

Research Scientist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Fitbit in March 2014.

1. Applied Online
    2. Recruiter Contact
    3. Phone Chat with Recruiter
    4. Handed off to second recruiter
    5. Arranged phone interview with engineer
    6. Phone interview with second engineer

Product Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fitbit in December 2013.

Terrible experience. This was actually the second time that happened. Both interview processes ended up in unanswered emails and lack of communication from their side. The first time I wasn't able to go to the on-site interview and I never managed to reschedule. I decided to give it another try for a similar opening and after a brief chat with the hiring manager I went on site. The interviews were rescheduled the day of the interview and two of the interviewers were not there so I only spoke with 3 people. Apart from the first person who was going to be my reportee, the interviewers were extremely not interested on talking. The attitude in general was terrible. I don't even think that they wanted to talk to me in the first place.

After following up the next day I never heard back.

I was really disappointed of how they managed to waste my time.

Interview Questions
    • What would be the first project that you address in our site?   Answer Question

Worked for Fitbit? Contribute to the Community!