Five Below

Getting the Interview

11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Five Below.

Interview Details – Interview lasted less than 20 minutes. Typical interview questions, ie. "Why work here?" and "How well do you work with customers?"

Interview Question – What is it about Five Below that you like better than your previous position (Target)?   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Five Below in April 2014.

Interview Details – I started off by applying online after calling to see if they were hiring. I filled out an application that did not take long AT ALL. After about a week, the manager left me a voice mail (saying to call me back on my cell phone number... Clearly a mistake). I called her back and we set up an interview in the next two days or so. I went to the interview 15 minutes early in business casual attire (a collared professional shirt, khakis, and Sperry's) with my resumé in hand. The interview was very basic; she did not write down my answers, but she read the questions off of a piece of paper. It honestly seemed like she was going through the motions, but she was extremely nice. After the 3 minute or so long interview, she told me I had the job and made me fill out the background check. I had no prior experience (except 40 hours of volunteer work), but I sold it with my personality. She told me she would call me in a day or two to come for additional information bringing two forms of ID. Beforehand, I had misplaced my birth certificate, social security card, and passport (I know, crazy) so I called, and she was extremely nice in allowing me to only bring my student ID and license for the time being. I went to the additional information meeting, filled out all of the papers, found out my salary, and my hours, and the rest is history.

Interview Question – What do you get from Five Below?   View Answer

Northville, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Five Below in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online, very simple process, got a call about a week later asking me to come in the store for a brief interview a week later. I interviewed with the store GM who was very nice and asked no hard questions at all. She really just wanted to know about my school experience because it was my first job.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working here?   Answer Question

Mansfield, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Five Below in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and the next morning received a phone call from the manager asking me to come in for an interview. I came in 2 days later and was interviewed by the assistant manager. The interview was quick and easy - she was extremely nice and and seemed like she wanted to hire me. At the end of the interview I was told I would receive a call within 1-2 weeks if they wanted to hire me. The day after the interview I received a call asking if I wanted to start the next day.

Interview Question – Asked if I was currently working, currently in high school, what did I think made a positive experience for customers   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Five Below in October 2009.

Interview Details – I went in right before the holiday season on one of their "Walk in Wednesday Interview" days. The interview took place on the sales floor and the general manager just asked me basic retail questions. What were my strengths & weaknesses, what would I do if I caught someone stealing, what I could contribute to the team, etc. It took a little over a week to get a call back, but I know the management team style varies. I learned after I got promoted within the management team that this particular team did not prefer getting calls from prospective employees checking on their application, hardly any of them do.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected or difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. As a first job, you get the minimum wage... you get a little more if you have experience but not that much unless the interviewing manager really seemed to like you.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Five Below.

Interview Details – I went in, she asked a little about myself and my availability, then I was offered the job and I received a packet that I had to fill out and bring back on my first day.

Interview Question – What do you like least about this comapny?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Just be yourself

Novi, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Five Below in November 2012.

Interview Details – Completed an application online and got a call from the general manager the next day to come in for an interview 2 days later. The interview was really easygoing. I was only asked about my work experience, the duties I had there, and my availability. I was hired on spot.

Interview Question – No real difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Wayne, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Five Below in November 2009.

Interview Details – After you fill out the application (pretty basic), and determining that your availability meets the need, the assistant and or general manager will call you for an interview, after calling your references, you will be trained by a seasoned employee. This training is logged on a training sheet with multiple signatures.

Interview Question – Have you ever been fired from a job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Just on base pay.

Gainesville, VA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Five Below in November 2012.

Interview Details – Not really much to say,the typical tell me about yourself was asked and I got hired on the spot.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was typical,I liked it.

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Five Below in May 2012.

Interview Details – I interviewed outside the storefront at a pre-opening job fair. I was interviewed by the general manager of the store who seemed to love me and told me that she'd "love to have me" but it took a couple of weeks and a couple of calls from me (only the last one was returned) to confirm that I had really gotten the job.

Interview Question – They're all pretty basic. What are your strengths/weaknesses, what is your experience, if the tables were turned what would potentially make me not want to hire you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was none for me.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Five Below

Worked for Five Below? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Five Below Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Five Below employees and interview candidates.