Five Guys Burgers & Fries Interview Questions

Updated Jun 21, 2015

1.9

Fry Cook Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

I walked in the closest Five Guys Burgers and Fries, and asked if they were hiring. They gave me an interview on the spot. The interview consisted of questions about my personality. It seems they were trying to figure out if I was a pleasant person to work with.

Crew Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

I was called into the store by HR, sat down with the GM and another manager. They asked me a few typical questions but we had a nice conversation and it was a relaxed environment. A couple days after the interview I got a phone call saying I got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate, although I don't think they would be open to it.

Food Prep & Cook Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Very simple and easy. The store was a new location hiring on the spot. I went in, sat down, filled out some paperwork, spoke with the manager, and got the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation, merely a discussion on what specific in-store position I'd be interested in and capable of performing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

Interview

The open call interview was from a craigslist ad. The usual questions, about my experience in the field but mostly they wanted open availability for a 20-25hr work week. He explained the training process and various opportunities to "make more money" with tips and secret shops (But don't get your hopes up. Its split among the entire staff on shift and your not guaranteed to be scheduled during shops. He also explained the poor attitudes of the employees, and that he expected me to help him boost moral. He really enjoyed my energy. I accepted the position in hopes of remaining PT but they almost immediately wanted to promote me from within. However, do not believe everything they tell you when you interview. It all depends on which location you work, and the attitude of the employees. It can be high stress levels, and understaffed due to employees calling out, not showing up, or just not caring about just Burgers & Fries.

Interview Questions

• Do you have open availability?   1 Answer

Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Memphis, TN) in May 2015.

Interview

I interviewed with Ms. J. Cary and she was very professional …..very forthcoming asked all the right questions gave wonderful feedback and answered all of my questions. Ms. Cary made me feel as though working at 5 guys is the thing to do and place to be! Now I'm excited and can't wait to know the outcome!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Boston, MA) in May 2015.

Interview

The process was fast and easy. I applied online, got an email within a day or two. I went in for the interview within two or three days. The interview took five to ten minutes (the questions were easy, the interviewer was kind and casual, and didn't care that I had no experience) and I was hired on the spot. I began training the next week.

Interview Questions

• Are you afraid of working hard?   1 Answer
    • Do you have restaurant experience?   1 Answer

Prep Cook/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

You will have two interviews, one with the first assistant, then one with the General Manager. They are looking for highly enthusiastic and bubbly personalities. First impressions are key to getting an interview; if you stick out, there's your door. ALWAYS hand your application to a manager (grey shirt) If you get the general manager to like you, you're in!

Interview Questions

• If an angry customer begins to make a scene, how will you handle this?   1 Answer

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Puyallup, WA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Puyallup, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

Responded to advertisement on Indeed, Emailed back and forth with a lady and got an interview.
    Showed up at the interview and the place was locked as they didnt open for another 2 hrs. Called the store and the store manager wasn't aware of me showing up until after he let me in and called a few people.

Overall the interview went well. We chatted about the position and various other stuff. Got a second interview with the DM (district manager) for the next day. Will update as soon as the interview is over .

General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application on line trough a third party site. I did not hear back from anyone. One day, about 3 weeks later, a DM and recruiter who were preparing a restaurant just down the street from my current company came in for lunch. I engaged them in conversation and mentioned my recent application. After an exchange of business cards I received a call several hours later to arrange a formal interview with the DM. Two days later I had an offer and accepted two days after that.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Five Guys?   Answer Question
    • What type of leader are you and how did you become that type of leader?   Answer Question
    • What would you make your biggest focus initially as a General Manager?   Answer Question
    • How do you control your budget/ P&L?   Answer Question
    • What type of work day are you used to? How flexible are you to opening, closing, working according to the needs of your restaurant?   Answer Question

Negotiation

During my interview I was asked what salary I was looking for and I gave a range that was as low as I would accept up to the highest reported salary I was able to find for the General Manager position. The offer I received was near the bottom of my range so I asked for them to consider another $3K. After a couple of days they responded with a yes to my counter-offer.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Interview

I applied online and a week later I got a phone call for an interview later that week.

I went to the interview I was 20 mins late due to a mistake of place. I called the hiring manager he understood and still let me come in. We had the interview, had me do an application on paper and we did a one on one interview, I honestly didn't know anything about the place and I told him so, he told me what they stand for and how they work, like 30 mins later the interview was over the manager told me to text him because his email was way unorganized, he let me take a soda for the road and said he would get back to me in a couple days.

Later that week I got a text saying I'm hired and start beginning of the month..

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you were so exhausted but you still had hours until your shift ended, how did you keep energized   Answer Question