Five Guys Burgers & Fries

2.0

Shift Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

You have to go through a 3-5 day process of getting you "Burger Associates" which consists of multiple, very descriptive videos of how to cook and assemble burgers, fries, and french fries. Then study to get your ServSafe. One that is finished you will be reviewed by one of the corporate district managers during a shift to see if you can cook, delegate, and deal with customers properly. Once this long process is over you receive your red shirt (manager shirt).

Interview Questions
    • I cannot remember if there were any trick/unexpected questions   Answer Question
    Don't be afraid to push your salary, or hourly rate and MAKE sure you get it! Meaning check you clock slips, and check the online site where you can check how much you get paid.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries in October 2014.

Was contacted by who later became known to me as the REGIONAL MANAGER for an interview. The location was about 30 minutes from my house. I was a bit deterred by the distance but I headed out anyway. After at very brief interview, with two people at once, I was told that there was a position open closer to my residence. I was told that I would receive a call from the hiring manager at that location in two days. After a week I decided to make a follow up call. I spoke with the gentleman that initially interviewed me for a status update and was told that the person whom I was expecting a call from was actually with him at that very moment and that I could meet with her at her store location for an interview. I arrived for the interview, introduced myself and we began discussing my qualifications. The hiring manager was VERY impressed with my knowledge of the business and how I articulated my experiences. She was very honest with me by telling me that she WAS NOT going to contact me for an interview but decided to meet with me because of my continued interest. I was ultimately hired as an assistant manager when her location was only interested in acquiring a shift lead!!!!

Interview Questions
    The general manager was not prepared to make an assistant manager offer but after becoming familiarized with my qualifications, offered me 100% of the job market value of a Five Guys assistant manager position.

Crew Member Interview

I applied for the job via craigslist and i got an email back to schedule an interview. The interview itself was really short and i was hardly asked any questions, the manager told me i was hired and that they would call me to come in and fill out paperwork. The phone call never came. Some time had passed and i finally called them. Basically i waited around for two months after my interview before i got "hired." They even told me i'd train at another location, but they never called me.

General Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

Called on the phone, met in person, tested knowledge of the food industry, hired by a franchise owner not corporate to run multiple stores. I had already been a former employee and knew the setup.

Overnight Crew Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

For their flagship store, I did a group interview but this is unusual. You should get in touch with Allison or her assistant Emily at FGNY. If you show you really want it by being knowledgeable about the company and having an upbeat attitude, the job is yours. They're pretty much always hiring.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about our company? They're big on that. You're gonna do online training where you will learn more but it's obvious that they want you to know their origin and understand that Five Guys is family owned and that that's how they do business.   View Answer
    You don't negotiate; you start at around 9.

Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neptune, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Neptune, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

I found the add on craiglist in 2009, went in to apply and they hired me on the spot. I spoke to the GM and he explained everything that I would be doing. However, I know this is not the normal case within this company as I have worked here for 5 years.

No negotiation. You start at min. wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries in July 2014.

Saw a flyer advertising the position, and replied to the designated email with my resume. Got an email response a few days later to fill out an application, and got a same day interview about a week after that. Interview was with the store owners in their office at a different Five Guys location. I was asked about my relevant work experience and other basic interview questions. The owner mentioned that I was a bit quiet, which was a turn off for new employees since you have to yell orders back and forth. I was told they would be doing call backs in about a week, after which I would set up an interview with the general manager. When I didn't receive a call back, I called to ask about the status of my application and was told they already contacted those who they were interested in.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries in June 2014.

I walked in and asked if there were openings and was handed an application, told to come back for on-site interviews. The interviewer seemed really friendly, but really intense about seeking out the qualifications he wanted in a potential employee. He didn't sugarcoat just how much energy and devotion you need to have to work at a Five Guys and asked many typical interview questions. At the end of maybe a 30 minute conversation, he told me I would be on a waiting list and directed me to a location that was way too far away for me to commute to on a regular basis - apparently that location needed employees far more than the one I actually wanted to work at. It was very off-putting

Interview Questions
    • The question that was most difficult was probably: "What is the most difficult situation you have faced in a position of leadership and how did you handle it?"   Answer Question

Cashier/Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stuart, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stuart, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries in May 2014.

The manager called me at around 2:30PM saying he wanted to schedule an interview three days from the day; Friday. I accepted, and showed up 10 minutes early on Friday. The Interview lasted maybe five minutes, and ended on the exact time the interview was scheduled. The questions were all capability questions like "can you lift 30-50lbs" and "can you interact well with others". I thought I did great, and he told me he'd call me on monday. He didn't, so I called, and said he has a second interview to schedule with me on Friday. I said OK. Friday came, and he called me saying the GM was unavaliable so he;d have to reschedule to next tuesday. I said OK again, but on Saturday, he called canceling that second interview and basically saying No you can't work here. I have no idea what I did wrong.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were relatively easy. They need an "outgoing, lively, energetic" person.   View Answer

General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Five Guys Burgers & Fries.

First contacted for phone screen with recruiter, then in person interview. Recruiter was standard questions, though very nice. In person interview was odd because it was myself being interviewed by two District Managers and their boss. Typical managerial interview questions, although be careful, they like to use what you say against you when they lowball you .

Interview Questions
    • What do you mean our concept is simple?   View Answer

After one 30 minute interview, they liked me enough to make an offer that was several thousand dollars less than my current salary. During the interview, they mentioned that my salary was within their range.