Five Rings Capital

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Five Rings Capital in November 2012.

Interview Details – Received a phone interview. Questions included:
Find greatest common divisor of two large numbers. First actually find it given two numbers, then give pseudocode for an algorithm that finds it for any general two numbers.
Analyze a competitive game - prefer to go first or second under a couple of different sets of rules (basically, analyze probability tree of potential moves).
Broker receives an order to purchase N units of stock A and M units of stock B - if individual orders are placed at random, what is the probability that all N units of A are purchased first (and therefore all M units of B are purchased last).
Find the smallest number that is composed of only zeros and ones and is divisible by both three and five.
Various experience/behavioral fit questions - why trading, etc.

Interview Question – Most of the questions are fairly straightforward given a technical background - remember basic probability theory, combinatorics, conditional probability, etc. Remember details of the question - GCD is not the same as greatest common prime factor, make sure to correctly propagate conditional probabilities.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Five Rings Capital.

Interview Details – Got a phone interview

Interview Question – Ask about how to play a board game. Should you go first or second?   Answer Question

Trader

The process took a day - interviewed at Five Rings Capital in October 2011.

Interview Details – First round interview was via phone.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to check whether a number is prime.   Answer Question
  • There are 4 balls, two red and the two blue. You choose a color each time and a random ball is picked from the sample (w/o replacement). If your choice and the random pick matches, you gain one dollar. Repeat this four times. How much would you pay to play this game   View Answers (3)

Trader

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Five Rings Capital in March 2010.

Interview Details – This is (what I heard of) a very new prop-trading company based in NYC. They said they will offer competitive salary. I got a phone interview and the interview lasts for about half an hour. It contains 3-4 questions, including one math calculation question, one probability questions, and one algorithm questions. The questions are not very difficult, it seems they want to hear you answering fast (as well as right, of course). by the way, before the questions, they will require you to only think of the questions in mind, do not use a pen to write or draft. This confirms my guess that they want you to react fast and accurate. I think I answered all the questions right, but still not get further chance of interview. I think perhaps my reply is not as fast as the interviewer expect, or other candidates are just too strong...

Interview Question – the algorithm to identify if one number is prime or not.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Five Rings Capital

Worked for Five Rings Capital? Contribute to the Community!