Five Rings Capital Trader Interview Questions

Updated Feb 19, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Five Rings Capital (Cambridge, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied from online school career service, and was given a telephone interview. The interviewee chose the slots from online survey. The interviewer asked me a few questions about my resume and then technical questions. The interviewer is expecting a really quick response, so I guess spending more time preparing the technique questions is important.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember clearly , but I think it's about probability problems of dies   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Five Rings Capital

Trader Interview

Interview

Phone interview. I submitted my resume and got an email the next day. I entered an online system to select one time slot for phone interview. The interview lasted for about 40 min. I didn't answer the first question so I didn't get into the next round.

Interview Questions

• A has 6 dollars and B has 4 dollars. They bet one dollar each time by flipping an unbiased coin until one of them runs out of money. What is the probability of A winning all the money.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Five Rings Capital (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Received a phone interview. Questions included:
    Find greatest common divisor of two large numbers. First actually find it given two numbers, then give pseudocode for an algorithm that finds it for any general two numbers.
    Analyze a competitive game - prefer to go first or second under a couple of different sets of rules (basically, analyze probability tree of potential moves).
    Broker receives an order to purchase N units of stock A and M units of stock B - if individual orders are placed at random, what is the probability that all N units of A are purchased first (and therefore all M units of B are purchased last).
    Find the smallest number that is composed of only zeros and ones and is divisible by both three and five.
    Various experience/behavioral fit questions - why trading, etc.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions are fairly straightforward given a technical background - remember basic probability theory, combinatorics, conditional probability, etc. Remember details of the question - GCD is not the same as greatest common prime factor, make sure to correctly propagate conditional probabilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Five Rings Capital (New York, NY).

Interview

Got a phone interview

Interview Questions

• Ask about how to play a board game. Should you go first or second?   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Five Rings Capital in October 2011.

Interview

First round interview was via phone.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to check whether a number is prime.   Answer Question
    • There are 4 balls, two red and the two blue. You choose a color each time and a random ball is picked from the sample (w/o replacement). If your choice and the random pick matches, you gain one dollar. Repeat this four times. How much would you pay to play this game   3 Answers

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Five Rings Capital in March 2010.

Interview

This is (what I heard of) a very new prop-trading company based in NYC. They said they will offer competitive salary. I got a phone interview and the interview lasts for about half an hour. It contains 3-4 questions, including one math calculation question, one probability questions, and one algorithm questions. The questions are not very difficult, it seems they want to hear you answering fast (as well as right, of course). by the way, before the questions, they will require you to only think of the questions in mind, do not use a pen to write or draft. This confirms my guess that they want you to react fast and accurate. I think I answered all the questions right, but still not get further chance of interview. I think perhaps my reply is not as fast as the interviewer expect, or other candidates are just too strong...

Interview Questions

• the algorithm to identify if one number is prime or not.   Answer Question