FleishmanHillard Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.9

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at FleishmanHillard (San Francisco, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism in this company's hiring process. I responded very quickly to the email that asked me what times worked for me for setting up two interviews. I sent my times and thanked them for considering me. I waited throughout the week thinking one of the times would be selected and that they had not sent me an email confirmation because that was not how they run the interviews. It was when there was only one time left that I had picked that I decided to call, and there had been a miscommunication. I talked to the hiring manager who said that most people they consider had already responded within an hour of receiving the email. One of the divisions I was going to potentially interview with had already been filled and the other was considering different candidates.

The most disappointing part of this, is that I did not hear anything until the end of the week when I reached out to the company about why I had not been contacted. I would expect that if the candidates had already been chosen, that by the time my email reached the company the hiring manager could write to me and tell me that there were no spots left. At the very least I would not have waited all week expecting to have these interviews.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at FleishmanHillard in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by an HR recruiter, had an initial HR screening that I have to say was a lot more thorough than any I've had before from a PR firm (which is a good thing since I applied to one position and she thought I was a better fit for a different one!)

From the HR screening I was asked to have a phone interview with an SVP, and coming off of that I was asked to come into the office where I had four other face to face individual interviews and then they asked me to stay a bit longer to meet with the GM.

All in all from first contact to final interview a quick 15 days!

Interview Questions

• Honestly, for this particular interview the most difficult part was the HR screening, which was good because the recruiter really worked with me to see what I wanted out of a role and if that would be a good fit with what they had available.   Answer Question

Negotiation

A bit of negotiation was available to me.

Intern - Hourly Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at FleishmanHillard (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a response about 1 month later. Drove to St. Louis from Iowa for the first interview and thought it was very successful. I took a writing test and spoke with the VP of public affairs. I proceeded to 2 additional phone interviews after my initial interview and spoke with the research and marketing departments. After 3 interviews I was not informed of my status, as I had to call the office and ask about whether a decision had been made or not after waiting a week when I was told I would receive follow up. Secretary asked for my number and said she would call me back within the hour to notify me. I received an email instead from the VP of public affairs that I was not selected. I was very disappointed in the lack of professionalism and communication when it came to following up after 3 interviews. FleishmanHillard should know better.

Vice President Interview

Interview

Interview is difficult to obtain as you typically need to know someone currently in the firm. The company prefers online resume entries. The company has various fields that interview differently. Talent Development (HR) typically begins with a phone interview.

Diversity Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FleishmanHillard in May 2014.

Interview

I emailed my application along with letters of recommendation, and received a phone interview shortly after. I then had a second phone interview with six people on the line. After the second phone interview, I took a writing test. Then I did a final in-person interview with five different people. The last interview was about two hours.

Account Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at FleishmanHillard (Dallas, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

From first call to final decline, it took almost four months. Very dragged out and a rather unprofessional process. I interviewed with eight people over that time. The recruiter took over two weeks after each interview to even respond back to me. It is unprofessional to waste a candidate's time. I felt like they were using me as a back up until they found someone better. That's a lot of wasted thank you letters. I will never interview with this firm again nor recommend to my many friends in the business.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FleishmanHillard (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

1st: phone interview. 2nd: in-person interview. 3rd: in-person interview with multiple people and a written test (writing a pitch)

Interview Questions

• Writing a pitch (about a new health drink) in a timed setting.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FleishmanHillard.

Interview

The hiring process was coordinated almost exclusively through FH's corporate office in St. Louis. This was fine logistically, but took out some of the personal experience that tends to come with interviewing for a new career. My only interactions with the office where I would be working came with my face-to-face interview (I had an initial phone interview with the St. Louis recruiter) and writing test. It was difficult to gauge whether I was a good fit for the office because of this process.

Interview Questions

• FH prides itself on hiring PR professionals with backgrounds in journalism, or close ties to the journalism industry. You will be asked to name journalists that you know and have relationships with.   Answer Question

Negotiation

FH uses the hiring practice of many other firms - they ask you what your ideal salary will be and what your current salary is. This puts pressure on the applicant to downplay your salary expectations - don't! FH matched my "target" salary right off the bat, which made me wish I had asked for more initially.

Internship, Diversity Fellowship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at FleishmanHillard (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

Getting in contact with FH was fairly simple. I was sent an email form my university communications department regarding internship opportunities. FH had a brochure attached in which they informed potential applicants to send a resume to a specified email. Once they had my resume they contacted me within about a week or two to schedule an interview. If I remember correctly I had one phone and two in persons. After not getting the internship I was also interviewed for the Fellowship. This was more informal since I had prior contact due to the internship interview. I was not offered a position- partially due to a lack of funding. However, my interviews went well with my first round being more laxed than the latter two.

Interview Questions

• By the 3rd round the questions were tough. The fellowship interview was hardest because I met a lot of tough people that were high up in the company. It was a while ago so I don't remember many questions.   1 Answer

Account Executive Interview

Application

interviewed at FleishmanHillard in August 2013.

Interview

FleishmanHillard has an intensive interview process, in large part because the firm places a strong emphasis on corporate culture and bringing in "the right people." The interview process includes an initial call with the talent development coordinator, a phone interview with a team member, an in-person interview with four team members and a two-hour writing exam. The interview itself is very informal and more conversational than other interviews I've experienced.