Flight Centre

Very Easy Interview

Travel Manager Interview

Travel Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Flight Centre in December 2011.

Interview Details – Got an e-mail requesting a phone interveiw. E-mail prompts you to a link. Candidate selects time. E-mail message requests candidate to have resume in hand, and to be prepared to discuss it.

The phone interview process was basic. Questions asked were why am I interested in this position and why do I want to work for the company? Interviewer did not ask questions about resume contents.

First of all, the advertisement was listed for Liberty Travel. Then the online application prompts you to Flight Centre. Afterwards prompts you to fill out an application for a position for Corporate Traveller. Confusing! Next, get an e-mail from an HR rep acknowledging receipt application. Sent reply with concerns - never got a response. A week later received an e-mail requesting phone interview. Selected my time, got an acknowledgement that didn't seem clear (was my appointment for a phone interview confirmed or not???). Sent e-mail to interviewer requesting reconfirmation of phone appointment. Got no response. The day of my phone interview waited for my call only to find out the caller called an alternate number. Hmmm...on my resume there's a number listed, which obiviously was not used. Anyway, after carefully researching the company and after my weird phone interview I don't think I would of accepted the position. Based on my initial experience the company seems unorganized and the organization's culture could be dsyfunctional.

Interview Questions

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Travel/Sales Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in October 2011.

Interview Details – I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Interview Question – Tell me why I should hire this other person.   Answer Question

Business Travel Consultant Interview

Business Travel Consultant
New Malden, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in June 2014.

Interview Details – 1st step - Online Application Form
2nd Step - Telephone Interview
3rd Step - Nearly 4 hours at head office, a test on Galileo, a test on Business Travel and then a group interview with competency based questions, then a quick chat one on one, then an interview with another manager.
4th Step - Meet the team at the branch the position is available - not really an interview just a getting to know you type thing.

Interview Question – All questions were answerable - nothing too tricky or unexpected   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in May 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out an online application, was then contacted for a phone interview. The woman seemed to be having a bad day and took it out on me a bit. She mentioned the retainer is only $30k with overtime (at least 3 hours a day) not paid. I was lost for words and withdrew my application on the spot.

Interview Question – N/A, I didn't get much further than being told I'd be paid minimum wage to work 12-13 hours a day.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Extremely low pay for extremely long hours. Told I'd be coming in at 8am and leaving at 9pm every night. Worked out I'd be working for less than $10 an hour after tax. I got paid more when I was working as a checkout girl at Target during my last year of high school. Also have zero interest in these boozy buzz nights they were so heavily trying to sell to me and was not impressed they seem to have the money to send their top consultants to Cancun for a glitzy party but can't pay their consultants a fair wage for their job.

Travel Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – Student Flights - Ad on seek - online app done Friday. Call Monday to arrange phone interview, booked for following Friday. Went well. Skype interview booked for following Wednesday. Email confirmation containing info and links to online assessment. Tedious and annoying personality questions, last 2 sections maths, so ensure you have a calculator.
Numeracy exam 10 questions on equations for holiday packages, eg family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children, 11 and 7, travelling to London, adult flights are $1430 each and taxes are $213.50 each. Children until 10 are 70% of the adult fair plus taxes. (I can only assume the 11 year old is changed as an adult) How much does it cost for the family?
Skype interview - first 15 mins were about company benefits and how much work is involved. Next basic geometry, eg capitol cities of Indonesia, Canada, Fiji, Egypt, New Zealand. Major airlines in Australia. Name of airlines for, Germany, Thailand, India, Australia, Dubai. Famous landmarks....
Roll play - Sell a overseas holiday to a customer who wants one. Easy but I can talk crap. Make sure you introduce yourself, find out all the details: where, when, why, how, budget. Cross sell - travel insurance, hotels, visa, work, anything ect, close the sale.
Questions - How did you overcome a difficult situation at work
                 - example of when you provided good customer service.
                  - example of when you multitasked at work
Advice - read all the info they send to you, learn capitol cities, as long as you know some you will be sweet. Be excited about 'buzz" nights, and retainer $31k....remember its commission. Paid monthly. Looks like long hours, but hopefully the benefits will come soon enough.
The next day I got a call. - more questions, are you happy with how your interview went, do you have any questions, are you happy to work weekends and public holidays, ect, then finally offered me the job.....Excited to start. I wanted a commission role because I can actually sell...lets see if I can make some moolah talking about my passion! Don't apply if you want a wage.

Interview Question – How did you overcome a difficult situation at work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

International Travel Consultant Interview

International Travel Consultant
Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in April 2013.

Interview Details – Applied on line, then received phone interview. Went into Brisbane CBD for a full day of group interviews. They halve the group and send home the unwanted people half way through. You are then assigned a store and meet the Team Leader for a day before doing three weeks training in the city.

Interview Question – There is more of an exam process than questions. There is a role play which is a little difficult as you have to role play a s a travel consultant and get the sale.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can negotiate your store location. Nothing else

Travel Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – After two unsuccessful interviews I was referred by an existing staff member and only received a phone interview.. after my forth time, I was offered a scholarship ($500 "enrollment fee") and then put into a "talent pool" then was given one interview and never got a call back! I just wish I knew what to work on!

The hiring process is long & time consuming; try 3-4 times before you give up! It is a great place to work just extremely hard to get into! I will try again later down the track

Interview Question – When you went to (destination) what kind of people/ tourist were there?   Answer Question

International Travel Consultant Interview

International Travel Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – 1 August: position advertised
21 August: applied online
24 August: email reply
27 August: telephone interview
27 August: group interview with 3 candidates
interviewer was friendly and other candidates were friendly too.
30 August: job offer
10 September: training started

Interview Question – we receive a destination and try sell the product to the interview, which was not easy.   Answer Question

Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online via flightcentre.ca and was sent a generic E-mail to pick a time slot for my telephone interview. The telephone interview was very basic and took about 5 minutes "why do you want to work here?" "What do you know about Flight Centre? "Where have you traveled?" etc... I was then asked to complete an online psychometric test including behavioral questions and personality type questions, and a timed math section (this online test took about 1.5 hours to complete). Next I was asked to attend a group assessment based in downtown Toronto. The group assessment was horrible. It started off with about a 15 minute, boring, useless movie about parties that you can attend annually if you meet your targets. Following the movie, we were explained the perks about working for flight centre. We then had to work with a partner and introduce them to the group and try to explain why they should hire your partner (I think it would have made more sense if we tried to sell ourselves rather than our partner considering we are the ones who are applying for the job. Anyways, next we were given two documents to read over and had to do a sales and customer service scenario as part of the interview process (this was so the recruiters can see the way we sell) For the customer service one, you act as if you are working for flight centre and a customer comes in looking for a vacation spot and has no idea where to go. Note The recruiters will try to make it difficult by turning down the first place you try to sell them so I recommend you try to sell them a place that you've never traveled to and when they turn it down then try to sell a place that you've traveled to. For the sales scenario, you will be working in a store as one of the recruiters come to return something (make sure to read the document carefully so you know the return policy etc...) We were then given a written test with questions such as "Name 3 places you'd recommend for a ski trip" "Name 3 countries in Europe" "Name 2 golf resorts" A few basic computer questions (and some mathematical questions to calculate commissions. The math questions are super easy as you're given a calculator to use. At the end of the written test, you have to write out how you would type an E-mail to a customer if they've inquired about a vacation package. There is a quick break as the recruiters are making their decision and that's when they lie to the group saying that they need a few people to stick around to discuss their online test. Keep in mind that if you are sent home at this time, it means that you didn't pass through to the next round. We are then given a lunch break and the recruiters come back and sit whoever is left at one side of the table as they sit across from us and ask us another scenario question each. This part is extremely intimidating as you are not only answering in front of the recruiters but also in front of the others who are competing against you for the position. I felt I answered all questions and scenarios well and received a call the following day from the recruiters saying that they were very happy with me and that the final step was to meet and greet with the person in control of my area. Please take notes as this is very important. I got the vibe right when I shook hands and first met with the area manager that she did not like me. She asked where I've traveled to and after mentioning the 12 different countries that I've visited, she was apparently bothered that I haven't been to the Caribbean I've traveled all around the Middle East, the Gulf, Asia, Europe and all over Canada and the US and she wasn't pleased by that? Her only concern was that I have not been to the Caribbean? She then started asking personal questions such as where I'm from originally and where I was born? Being born and raised in Canada with no accent what so ever, I didn't feel the need to tell her what my background was... I knew at that moment that something seemed wrong, it felt like discrimination / racism but I kept strong and continued with the interview with my bubbly personality and tried to change her mind about me hoping that she would look passed my skin colour... However, I was wrong. I received a phone call from head office the following business day saying that I was not chosen for the position.... I kindly asked for feedback for my interview and they refused it? This is unprofessional and unacceptable. Flight Centre discriminates and I highly recommend NO ONE of any diverse background should apply here as they discriminate. You have to go through hell and back and torture for a salary of $27K!!! Also, you work a lotttt of over time and do not get paid for it.... It's not worth it. I'm not being a hater because I wasn't chosen for the position but no one should have to go through discrimination like this as Canada is a very diverse country and these people should realize that.

Interview Question – What is your background? Where are you from originally   View Answer

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – I applied via an employee referral and was contacted within 2 days to book a time slot for a phone interview. At this stage, the interviewer asked basic questions about my motivation to work for the company.

I progressed to the next stage of recruitment which consisted of an online test (mainly questions that test how you work individually/in a team) and i booked in for the group interview 5 days later. This online test took about an hour and was mainly questions about my personality. There were some timed maths questions towards the end so make sure you have a calculator handy!

The group interview was held from 9.15am till 3pm, and was about 30 other candidates. The day started off with a brief run down of Flight Centre and all the benefits of the company. We then had a quick introduction activity, where we were allocated 5 minutes to introduce ourselves to the person sitting next to us, and gain information about them and why they should be hired by Flight Centre as a travel consultant. This was then presented back to the group. Following this we did some group activities and a sales role-play. We also and 50mins to 1 hour to complete a geography and maths test. This was quite easy just make sure you read the maths questions thoroughly.

After we returned from lunch, we were split into smaller groups for the interview section of the assessment day. Be sure to think of detailed and specific examples of when you had met a customer's needs through various techniques in the work environment.

All in all the recruitment process was not too difficult, however it was very time consuming and after every exercise/activity, you were left wondering "did i just blow my chance?".

Interview Question – Give an example of when you used innovative thinking on the job   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Flight Centre

Worked for Flight Centre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flight Centre interview questions and advice. All 51 interview reviews posted anonymously by Flight Centre employees and interview candidates.