Flight Centre

Updated Feb 20, 2015
Updated Feb 20, 2015

3.2

Travel Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Phone interview did not go well. I answered all the questions, gave examples of my previous experience, but they did not call me back. The girl was nice and helpful, but still I felt like she had a list of questions and put "likes" on some of my answers. Be more prepared, phone interview is never easy.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Flight Centre in December 2011.

Got an e-mail requesting a phone interveiw. E-mail prompts you to a link. Candidate selects time. E-mail message requests candidate to have resume in hand, and to be prepared to discuss it.

The phone interview process was basic. Questions asked were why am I interested in this position and why do I want to work for the company? Interviewer did not ask questions about resume contents.

First of all, the advertisement was listed for Liberty Travel. Then the online application prompts you to Flight Centre. Afterwards prompts you to fill out an application for a position for Corporate Traveller. Confusing! Next, get an e-mail from an HR rep acknowledging receipt application. Sent reply with concerns - never got a response. A week later received an e-mail requesting phone interview. Selected my time, got an acknowledgement that didn't seem clear (was my appointment for a phone interview confirmed or not???). Sent e-mail to interviewer requesting reconfirmation of phone appointment. Got no response. The day of my phone interview waited for my call only to find out the caller called an alternate number. Hmmm...on my resume there's a number listed, which obiviously was not used. Anyway, after carefully researching the company and after my weird phone interview I don't think I would of accepted the position. Based on my initial experience the company seems unorganized and the organization's culture could be dsyfunctional.

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre in October 2011.

I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Email to pick your time slot for a phone interview
    Phone interview for 10 mins
    Told me that they will call within 3days after speaking to a hiring manager in the gta
    She oulined the basic salary plus commision and emphasized that this is a sales position

Interview Questions
    • Sales experience on previous jobs, where have you travelled last 5 years, why do you wanna work for flight centre   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

Less thab an hour or two after I sent in my application, I received an emai saying I had got through to the next stage (a phone interview), and offering me three slots the coming Monday - it was Friday.
    I went with 11am. They may have called me a couple of minutes early, not sure. Felt like the interviewer was not listening, but reading from a screen. Very robotic. Not given a chance to expand on my answers as was interrupted with a question that she would probably not have asked had she listened to full reply to intial question. Asked what I was doing now and about my previous sales experience. Recommend really focussing on this. She summed up that my previous expereince was 'very different' (not exactly sales) and didn't really get the chance to explain that in fact it wasn't that different becuase.... Also asked what I would bring to the team, and where I had travelled to in the last five years outside of Europe. At the end of the conversation I was left feeling I hadn't been allowed to finish my sentences and therefore hadn't said everything I wanted to. Was told I would hear back within 48 hours by email. I did receive the email almost exactly 48 hours later and I hadn't got through. Although I have rated negative this is becuase of the robotic interview style - I have to give a positive for response time

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

This is about the Telephone Interview stage. I got an email a few days after I had applied online asking to book a telephone interview with them. I picked the earliest date for a morning telephone interview, which was the next week after. The phone call came in on time. The lady was nice. I think I got too nervous on the phone and felt I didn't go too well with the interview. Just try to be calm and confident. The interviewer said she was still phone screening and will let me know in 2 days time if anything happens.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work with Flight Centre?
      What do you think the job entails?
      How do you feel about this being a sales-oriented position (something along the lines of that)?
      I can see that you have travelled to ____, tell us about your last trip?
      Do you have any other questions?

Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

It was a telephone interview. It was for around 10 mins. Basic questions, focused on sales skills so really do focus there. After the interview they invited me for a careers evening which will apparently have an assessment as well.

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Stage 1 - Online Application. Not as long winded as some other applications I've experienced. Would recommend focusing on sales experience though. Try to put as much effort into this as it's probably the toughest part of the application process.
    Stage 2 - Phone Interview. Almost an hour after submitting the online application I received an email invited me to book a 5-10 minute phone interview. Booked it for 2 days later. Phone interview was around 15 minutes late and quite rushed but I assumed it was because the interviewer was busy. I was asked about my previous sales experience where I have had to work towards a target, what i was doing now (job wise), where I had travelled and why I chose flight centre. Didn't get a lot of information about role and opportunities etc but I think that was because it was rushed. At the end of the phone interview I was told I'd be going through to the next stage of the online psychometric assessment and more in-depth telephone interview.
    Stage 3 - Psychometric assessment and telephone interview. Make sure you're in a quiet environment where you will not be distracted for this assessment, although there are not any right or wrong answers for the questions you'll need to dedicate over an hour of your time and all your concentration. There are some math questions at the end that you'll need a calculator for and a few verbal reasoning questions that try to confuse you. I didn't manage to finish these questions but from what I've read on here, I don't think many do. Phone interview was more relaxed and done by the same interviewer which I thought was nice. I was asked questions like; tell me a time where you had to deal with sales competition, give me an example of when you've had to explain complicated systems to a customer, give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful, explain a time when you've had to multi task etc. The questions required you to give specific answers so make sure you have some in your mind ahead the interview. After this was finished I was explained that I would be going in store for a meet and greet with the store team leader which was arranged for a week later.
    Stage 4 - In-Store Meet & Greet. Arrived at store, everyone was really nice and was offered a tea/coffee/water and given a test to do on the shop floor, although you do not interact with any customers you do get a feel for what it would be like working in-store. First part is a geography based test and second are maths questions which took me longer to do so maybe do the maths part first. Some of the questions on the test asked you to name capital cities of countries, location of landmarks, pinpoint places on a map, suggest tourist attractions in certain cities, and recommend destinations for a stag/hen weekend, short haul beach holiday and long haul honeymoon destination. For the maths part I would recommend brushing up on percentages as the questions asked you to work out percentages of prices, commission etc. Once I had finished myself and the store team leader begun the interview. It was really relaxed and I was explained what would be expected of me, how the company is growing and how I could potentially grow within the company. I was asked what motivated me and how i've gone out of my way to achieve a sale previously. I really enjoyed the interview and left really wanting the job. I was previously asked to give feedback to my previous interviewer after I had finished the meet and greet, later that day I was offered the job which I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
    • give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in January 2015.

I applied online online on the weekend through seek.com.au and received an email on the Monday to select a time for interviews. There was a slot available for 20 minutes after I got the email so I chose that one seeing as though I was as ready as i'll ever be. I took the call and the lady I spoke to was nice. She asked me about my experience working in a customer service/ sales role as well as my achievements and strengths, she was pleased to inform me that she would like for me to attend a group interview in two days time. I had a friend on facebook get offered a position with flight centre the day before my interview so they were very helpful in preparing me, so I hope to do the same for others on this forum. On the day you arrive at the careers centre and fill out a form, there are about 20 other people in the room. You watch a video about flight centre, look interested. You then write 3 things you learned and go find someone in the room you don't know and exchange ideas. After this you sit back where you were and pair up again. You are given 2 minutes to learn about your partner and sell why they would be perfect for flight centre, remember as much as you can about them, take notes if you feel you need to but try not to rely too heavily on them. They then sell you. You then sit the maths exam and then a basic geography exam. (please do not stress, I am terrible at maths and I did okay. The math in the computer test you did was harder) During this time people are called individually to sell a holiday to the interviewer, you can make things up so don't worry if you aren't well travelled, just use the 7 step sales process in one of the videos you watch to the best of your ability, you can write it down (hint) After this the room is split into 4 rooms and 2 of those groups are asked to go home. *Lunch break* If you are lucky enough to make it back there is another video about the company culture and incentives as well as the pay and commission breakdowns. You will split into two groups for another activity, this one is to do with cards you have to pick 3 you think reflect you and eventually pick one and share it with the group. as a group you need to pick one and share as a group to the others why you picked it, its a good idea to have more than one idea on what to say so no one else takes your idea. Then there is a group interview where you are each asked questions individually. think of scenarios where you turned a negative situation into a positive or where you have to be persistent with a customer to be successful in something. That is usually the end of the day, One thing I would like to mention is that I notice people leave negative feedback in regards to hours and pay. Clearly you haven't much experience in sales or you are just lazy. I was unemployed for a little while so I know that 30k base is much better than 0k base, besides you are guaranteed 40k in your first year with the average being 45-50k but the commission is UNCAPPED. you get out what you put in. One bloke made 450k last year!! he answers his phone at 4am to clients though so this is just a high end example. If you're not passionate about travel and customer service or just looking for a job and not a career you can be proud of, than I can see why you shouldn't waste your time. Hope I gave some insight :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to use innovative thinking or research at work to come up with a solution for a customer   View Answer
    Base salary is 30k (min 40k for first year) I like to think of my commission as my main source of income and my base as a bonus.

Sales Consultant Interview

Initially had a telephone interview followed by an assessment day at the Head Office. The assessment day was a group setting which was fun. Called back for 3rd interview and final interview with area leader. The whole interview process took 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time when you had to see something to completion, what did you do and what was the outcome   Answer Question