Flight Centre Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.2

Travel Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Phone interview did not go well. I answered all the questions, gave examples of my previous experience, but they did not call me back. The girl was nice and helpful, but still I felt like she had a list of questions and put "likes" on some of my answers. Be more prepared, phone interview is never easy.

Travel Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Flight Centre in December 2011.

Got an e-mail requesting a phone interveiw. E-mail prompts you to a link. Candidate selects time. E-mail message requests candidate to have resume in hand, and to be prepared to discuss it.

The phone interview process was basic. Questions asked were why am I interested in this position and why do I want to work for the company? Interviewer did not ask questions about resume contents.

First of all, the advertisement was listed for Liberty Travel. Then the online application prompts you to Flight Centre. Afterwards prompts you to fill out an application for a position for Corporate Traveller. Confusing! Next, get an e-mail from an HR rep acknowledging receipt application. Sent reply with concerns - never got a response. A week later received an e-mail requesting phone interview. Selected my time, got an acknowledgement that didn't seem clear (was my appointment for a phone interview confirmed or not???). Sent e-mail to interviewer requesting reconfirmation of phone appointment. Got no response. The day of my phone interview waited for my call only to find out the caller called an alternate number. Hmmm...on my resume there's a number listed, which obiviously was not used. Anyway, after carefully researching the company and after my weird phone interview I don't think I would of accepted the position. Based on my initial experience the company seems unorganized and the organization's culture could be dsyfunctional.

Travel/Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre in October 2011.

I received an automated email telling me I was invited to come in for a group interview a few weeks after I submitted an online application. I picked a day out of three choices and submitted my request online. I never spoke to anyone until the day of the interview, on my way to location which they had sent me they day before. A woman called to give me the suite number because it apparently never mentioned in the e-mail. I had looked it up though anyway.

I get there and there are four of us, including me. Two are interviewing for a more management type role and two of us are interviewing for the Entry-Level Sales Consultant/Travel Agent position. First, the recruiter gives us an hour long powerpoint presentation about the job and the company in all it's glory. How great it is to work there, all the perks, this, that and the other thing.

Then she tells us our first task is to partner off talk to each other for 5 minutes and then make a presentation to her of why she should hire the other person.

The next task is sort of like a game. It's a NASA Moon Survival game where we need to rank items in order of importance to take with us on a mission. We then need to compare our answers and ultimately come to a unanimous group decision in which she watches us and basicaly rates our selling/ability to be persuasive skills.

After the second assessment, we are all lead outside and she brings us one by one in to tell us whether or not she wants to move us forward. When I go in, I am told that she would like to move me to next stage in the hiring process and proceed with a background check.

Next morning, 8am, she calls and has someone get on the phone with me for a background check, they ask all sorts of questions. She had initially said she wanted the whole process to be completed in 5-7 days. Then she tells me she's going on vacation so I will hear from someone else in recruitment to continue the process.

A few days later, I play phone tag with another recruiter who ultimately schedules me to go in for an "In-Store Assessment" at the downtown location. An official e-mail schedules it and tells me I'll be there for 2-3 hours.

When I get there, the team leader introduces me to the two other travel agents, and gives some paperwork to fill out, easy questions to answer, although I do have to google some of it - airport codes and vacation spots and what not. Then we go have a private "interview" in a cafe across the hall. It's all generic interview questions, he's not really listening to me at all, he doesn't really care what I have to say, he's just going through the motions, I can tell.

Initially, he told me there would be an assessment at the end, where I would have to "mock sell" him a trip. After our 1:1 interview, however, he concluded my day and told me they would be in touch. He never did the final assessment with me, he must have seen all he had needed to see. He did tell me, however, that I had done very well on my paper quizzes.

I assumed I didn't so well, considering I was there for less than half the time I was supposed to be there.

I received a phone call 12 days later saying they were not moving forward with my candidacy.

Overall, I'd say the interview was process was not overly difficult, just long and they never really got to know me as a person at all. Everything was so automated and distant, how could they really ever tell I was a good candidate or not?

Works out okay though, I wasn't too amped for the job.

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Flight Centre.

First off
    -fill out a form with your information.
    -watch a video.
    -write down stuff you learned form the video.
    -ask questions.
    -couple up and get to know one another, then get up and sell the person. (Tip get them to write it down so you don't forget)
    -get test papers, 2 parts.
    First one is geography. 10 mins
    Second is math. 45 mins
    While doing this test, you leave the room and then sell a holiday. Goes for 4minutes. It's in alphabetical order when they pick you.
    You go on break they make a list of people that go through to the next part.
    I don't know what happens next I went home.
    My time management for the test was not great and didn't finish it off

Tips for the tests.
    Geography know capitals, holiday spots ect
    Math know gst, taking off commission from a price, plus adding it. Refunds to be given back read carefully.
    Was very easy don't focus on your working outs.
    You get a calculator.
    Rush through both tests. You lose 10mins on the interview stage.

Don't ask to many questions they seem to not like it. Don't ask stupid questions.

They say the hours are long 10hrs a day and you have to study their course as we'll for a year
    Over a year you should make 40k.
    But lots of hard work and no over time.
    They love their parties so you go to one once a month.

Make sure you're good with multi tasking and good with computers

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Brief telephone interview which was quite rushed, I could tell the assessor had a lot of applicants to get through, she was looking for key things. There was no opportunity to explain answers fully as she interrupted. Was followed by an expanded group interview with a similar style.

Interview Questions
    • why you want to work for flight centre/ sales experience/ competency based questions   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in March 2015.

Applied online for Melbourne store and they sent an email the following day to choose a date and time for a phone interview which was held next day afternoon. They called me 10 mins later than conformed time. The questions and the interviewer's attittude are perfunctory.
    Simple questions but I didn't feel like doing my best to move further.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Email to pick your time slot for a phone interview
    Phone interview for 10 mins
    Told me that they will call within 3days after speaking to a hiring manager in the gta
    She oulined the basic salary plus commision and emphasized that this is a sales position

Interview Questions
    • Sales experience on previous jobs, where have you travelled last 5 years, why do you wanna work for flight centre   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

This is about the Telephone Interview stage. I got an email a few days after I had applied online asking to book a telephone interview with them. I picked the earliest date for a morning telephone interview, which was the next week after. The phone call came in on time. The lady was nice. I think I got too nervous on the phone and felt I didn't go too well with the interview. Just try to be calm and confident. The interviewer said she was still phone screening and will let me know in 2 days time if anything happens.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work with Flight Centre?
      What do you think the job entails?
      How do you feel about this being a sales-oriented position (something along the lines of that)?
      I can see that you have travelled to ____, tell us about your last trip?
      Do you have any other questions?

Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

First I applied online through the flight center careers website, then I received an email saying I had been selected to go through to the next stage and that I was to choose a time for a phone interview.

A few days later they called me for the interview, it was very rushed (I am assuming they were conducting back to back phone interviews), they asked me what I knew about flight center, my sales/travel experience, how I would go about getting a sale if a customer was unsure and then they caught me off guard by doing a role play sales scenario. The interviewer was a women in a store and I was supposed to sell her a camera. After that I was informed that I had been successful and had to complete a psychometric test before having my interview at their head office.

This was a 'Launchpad' test, I was told it would take about 90 minutes but it took me about 2 hours, most of the questions were to do with your personality traits, but their was some simple mathematics questions that you need a calculator for and some difficult timed word/puzzle assessments.

About a week later I had my interview at their HQ in London, I was the only one being interview, when I arrived everyone was friendly/helpful (even those who weren't involved with the interview) and first I had to sit an hour long test, on geography, mathematics and some attention to detail type questions.
    The geography was asking about capitals of countries (Spain, USA, New Zealand, Australia etc), to label places on a blank map (Singapore, Florida, Vancouver etc), then I had to suggest 3 places for a stag weekend/why, 3 places for long haul beach holiday/why and places for long haulbeach holiday/why. I was also asked what city landmarks were in (Machu Pichu, Tahj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Alcatraz Island etc).

The mathematics (I had a calculator), was long winded relevant questions, working out percentage problems. e.g family of 4 going on holiday, price of adult ticket is £600, for children its 75% of adult price and for infants its 10% of adult price. Accommodation costs £700 for adults per week and 250£ for children. What is the total cost of the holiday, what is your commission (if it were 8% from flights), what is the cost of accommodation, etc. Nothing too difficult.

Their were also some questions like, if you booked a 7 night holiday that was leaving on a Monday, what day would they arrive back?

After that I sat down with the recruitment manager for a one on one video for about an hour, she was very friendly/helpful/informative and it started with a friendly chat and then went into several competency based questions asking for SPECIFIC examples from a workplace. I.e give an example when you have had to multitask, example of amazing customer care, example of time management, example of having to succeed, etc.

Overall It was a thorough and quite long winded process that took about 2 weeks in total, everyone who dealt with me was very friendly/helpful and accommodating. I would say before the interview brush up on your geography and percentage calculations, have in mind some holiday locations (long/short haul beach, stag/hen do's, honeymoons etc) and also have in mind some SPECIFIC examples of times you did certain things (like mentioned above).

They got back to me within 48 hours and offered me the job.

The only downside to the process is that they offer a low base salary which doesn't consider London weighting.

Interview Questions
    • I am a customer in your store, sell me a camera..   View Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

Applied on line, send CV and answer to many questions. Got an email to book a phone interview for the following day. They were late for the call. The interviewer sounded very bored from the beginning, didn't even remember for while position I was applying for. sounded extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Why you are interested to work for us? What did attract you to Flight Center?   Answer Question