Flight Centre Travel Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2015
Updated Mar 16, 2015

3.3

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Flight Centre.

First off
-fill out a form with your information.
-watch a video.
-write down stuff you learned form the video.
-ask questions.
-couple up and get to know one another, then get up and sell the person. (Tip get them to write it down so you don't forget)
-get test papers, 2 parts.
First one is geography. 10 mins
Second is math. 45 mins
While doing this test, you leave the room and then sell a holiday. Goes for 4minutes. It's in alphabetical order when they pick you.
You go on break they make a list of people that go through to the next part.
I don't know what happens next I went home.
My time management for the test was not great and didn't finish it off

Tips for the tests.
Geography know capitals, holiday spots ect
Math know gst, taking off commission from a price, plus adding it. Refunds to be given back read carefully.
Was very easy don't focus on your working outs.
You get a calculator.
Rush through both tests. You lose 10mins on the interview stage.

Don't ask to many questions they seem to not like it. Don't ask stupid questions.

They say the hours are long 10hrs a day and you have to study their course as we'll for a year
Over a year you should make 40k.
But lots of hard work and no over time.
They love their parties so you go to one once a month.

Make sure you're good with multi tasking and good with computers

Other Interview Reviews for Flight Centre

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Brief telephone interview which was quite rushed, I could tell the assessor had a lot of applicants to get through, she was looking for key things. There was no opportunity to explain answers fully as she interrupted. Was followed by an expanded group interview with a similar style.

Interview Questions
    • why you want to work for flight centre/ sales experience/ competency based questions   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in March 2015.

Applied online for Melbourne store and they sent an email the following day to choose a date and time for a phone interview which was held next day afternoon. They called me 10 mins later than conformed time. The questions and the interviewer's attittude are perfunctory.
    Simple questions but I didn't feel like doing my best to move further.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre.

Email to pick your time slot for a phone interview
    Phone interview for 10 mins
    Told me that they will call within 3days after speaking to a hiring manager in the gta
    She oulined the basic salary plus commision and emphasized that this is a sales position

Interview Questions
    • Sales experience on previous jobs, where have you travelled last 5 years, why do you wanna work for flight centre   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)
    Anonymous Employee in Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

This is about the Telephone Interview stage. I got an email a few days after I had applied online asking to book a telephone interview with them. I picked the earliest date for a morning telephone interview, which was the next week after. The phone call came in on time. The lady was nice. I think I got too nervous on the phone and felt I didn't go too well with the interview. Just try to be calm and confident. The interviewer said she was still phone screening and will let me know in 2 days time if anything happens.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work with Flight Centre?
      What do you think the job entails?
      How do you feel about this being a sales-oriented position (something along the lines of that)?
      I can see that you have travelled to ____, tell us about your last trip?
      Do you have any other questions?

Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

First I applied online through the flight center careers website, then I received an email saying I had been selected to go through to the next stage and that I was to choose a time for a phone interview.

A few days later they called me for the interview, it was very rushed (I am assuming they were conducting back to back phone interviews), they asked me what I knew about flight center, my sales/travel experience, how I would go about getting a sale if a customer was unsure and then they caught me off guard by doing a role play sales scenario. The interviewer was a women in a store and I was supposed to sell her a camera. After that I was informed that I had been successful and had to complete a psychometric test before having my interview at their head office.

This was a 'Launchpad' test, I was told it would take about 90 minutes but it took me about 2 hours, most of the questions were to do with your personality traits, but their was some simple mathematics questions that you need a calculator for and some difficult timed word/puzzle assessments.

About a week later I had my interview at their HQ in London, I was the only one being interview, when I arrived everyone was friendly/helpful (even those who weren't involved with the interview) and first I had to sit an hour long test, on geography, mathematics and some attention to detail type questions.
    The geography was asking about capitals of countries (Spain, USA, New Zealand, Australia etc), to label places on a blank map (Singapore, Florida, Vancouver etc), then I had to suggest 3 places for a stag weekend/why, 3 places for long haul beach holiday/why and places for long haulbeach holiday/why. I was also asked what city landmarks were in (Machu Pichu, Tahj Mahal, Statue of Liberty, Alcatraz Island etc).

The mathematics (I had a calculator), was long winded relevant questions, working out percentage problems. e.g family of 4 going on holiday, price of adult ticket is £600, for children its 75% of adult price and for infants its 10% of adult price. Accommodation costs £700 for adults per week and 250£ for children. What is the total cost of the holiday, what is your commission (if it were 8% from flights), what is the cost of accommodation, etc. Nothing too difficult.

Their were also some questions like, if you booked a 7 night holiday that was leaving on a Monday, what day would they arrive back?

After that I sat down with the recruitment manager for a one on one video for about an hour, she was very friendly/helpful/informative and it started with a friendly chat and then went into several competency based questions asking for SPECIFIC examples from a workplace. I.e give an example when you have had to multitask, example of amazing customer care, example of time management, example of having to succeed, etc.

Overall It was a thorough and quite long winded process that took about 2 weeks in total, everyone who dealt with me was very friendly/helpful and accommodating. I would say before the interview brush up on your geography and percentage calculations, have in mind some holiday locations (long/short haul beach, stag/hen do's, honeymoons etc) and also have in mind some SPECIFIC examples of times you did certain things (like mentioned above).

They got back to me within 48 hours and offered me the job.

The only downside to the process is that they offer a low base salary which doesn't consider London weighting.

Interview Questions
    • I am a customer in your store, sell me a camera..   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

Applied on line, send CV and answer to many questions. Got an email to book a phone interview for the following day. They were late for the call. The interviewer sounded very bored from the beginning, didn't even remember for while position I was applying for. sounded extremely unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Why you are interested to work for us? What did attract you to Flight Center?   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bath, England (UK)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

It was a telephone interview. It was for around 10 mins. Basic questions, focused on sales skills so really do focus there. After the interview they invited me for a careers evening which will apparently have an assessment as well.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Flight Centre in February 2015.

Less thab an hour or two after I sent in my application, I received an emai saying I had got through to the next stage (a phone interview), and offering me three slots the coming Monday - it was Friday.
    I went with 11am. They may have called me a couple of minutes early, not sure. Felt like the interviewer was not listening, but reading from a screen. Very robotic. Not given a chance to expand on my answers as was interrupted with a question that she would probably not have asked had she listened to full reply to intial question. Asked what I was doing now and about my previous sales experience. Recommend really focussing on this. She summed up that my previous expereince was 'very different' (not exactly sales) and didn't really get the chance to explain that in fact it wasn't that different becuase.... Also asked what I would bring to the team, and where I had travelled to in the last five years outside of Europe. At the end of the conversation I was left feeling I hadn't been allowed to finish my sentences and therefore hadn't said everything I wanted to. Was told I would hear back within 48 hours by email. I did receive the email almost exactly 48 hours later and I hadn't got through. Although I have rated negative this is becuase of the robotic interview style - I have to give a positive for response time

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Stage 1 - Online Application. Not as long winded as some other applications I've experienced. Would recommend focusing on sales experience though. Try to put as much effort into this as it's probably the toughest part of the application process.
    Stage 2 - Phone Interview. Almost an hour after submitting the online application I received an email invited me to book a 5-10 minute phone interview. Booked it for 2 days later. Phone interview was around 15 minutes late and quite rushed but I assumed it was because the interviewer was busy. I was asked about my previous sales experience where I have had to work towards a target, what i was doing now (job wise), where I had travelled and why I chose flight centre. Didn't get a lot of information about role and opportunities etc but I think that was because it was rushed. At the end of the phone interview I was told I'd be going through to the next stage of the online psychometric assessment and more in-depth telephone interview.
    Stage 3 - Psychometric assessment and telephone interview. Make sure you're in a quiet environment where you will not be distracted for this assessment, although there are not any right or wrong answers for the questions you'll need to dedicate over an hour of your time and all your concentration. There are some math questions at the end that you'll need a calculator for and a few verbal reasoning questions that try to confuse you. I didn't manage to finish these questions but from what I've read on here, I don't think many do. Phone interview was more relaxed and done by the same interviewer which I thought was nice. I was asked questions like; tell me a time where you had to deal with sales competition, give me an example of when you've had to explain complicated systems to a customer, give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful, explain a time when you've had to multi task etc. The questions required you to give specific answers so make sure you have some in your mind ahead the interview. After this was finished I was explained that I would be going in store for a meet and greet with the store team leader which was arranged for a week later.
    Stage 4 - In-Store Meet & Greet. Arrived at store, everyone was really nice and was offered a tea/coffee/water and given a test to do on the shop floor, although you do not interact with any customers you do get a feel for what it would be like working in-store. First part is a geography based test and second are maths questions which took me longer to do so maybe do the maths part first. Some of the questions on the test asked you to name capital cities of countries, location of landmarks, pinpoint places on a map, suggest tourist attractions in certain cities, and recommend destinations for a stag/hen weekend, short haul beach holiday and long haul honeymoon destination. For the maths part I would recommend brushing up on percentages as the questions asked you to work out percentages of prices, commission etc. Once I had finished myself and the store team leader begun the interview. It was really relaxed and I was explained what would be expected of me, how the company is growing and how I could potentially grow within the company. I was asked what motivated me and how i've gone out of my way to achieve a sale previously. I really enjoyed the interview and left really wanting the job. I was previously asked to give feedback to my previous interviewer after I had finished the meet and greet, later that day I was offered the job which I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
    • give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful   Answer Question