Flight Centre

Updated Jan 30, 2015

3.4

45 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Stage 1 - Online Application. Not as long winded as some other applications I've experienced. Would recommend focusing on sales experience though. Try to put as much effort into this as it's probably the toughest part of the application process.
Stage 2 - Phone Interview. Almost an hour after submitting the online application I received an email invited me to book a 5-10 minute phone interview. Booked it for 2 days later. Phone interview was around 15 minutes late and quite rushed but I assumed it was because the interviewer was busy. I was asked about my previous sales experience where I have had to work towards a target, what i was doing now (job wise), where I had travelled and why I chose flight centre. Didn't get a lot of information about role and opportunities etc but I think that was because it was rushed. At the end of the phone interview I was told I'd be going through to the next stage of the online psychometric assessment and more in-depth telephone interview.
Stage 3 - Psychometric assessment and telephone interview. Make sure you're in a quiet environment where you will not be distracted for this assessment, although there are not any right or wrong answers for the questions you'll need to dedicate over an hour of your time and all your concentration. There are some math questions at the end that you'll need a calculator for and a few verbal reasoning questions that try to confuse you. I didn't manage to finish these questions but from what I've read on here, I don't think many do. Phone interview was more relaxed and done by the same interviewer which I thought was nice. I was asked questions like; tell me a time where you had to deal with sales competition, give me an example of when you've had to explain complicated systems to a customer, give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful, explain a time when you've had to multi task etc. The questions required you to give specific answers so make sure you have some in your mind ahead the interview. After this was finished I was explained that I would be going in store for a meet and greet with the store team leader which was arranged for a week later.
Stage 4 - In-Store Meet & Greet. Arrived at store, everyone was really nice and was offered a tea/coffee/water and given a test to do on the shop floor, although you do not interact with any customers you do get a feel for what it would be like working in-store. First part is a geography based test and second are maths questions which took me longer to do so maybe do the maths part first. Some of the questions on the test asked you to name capital cities of countries, location of landmarks, pinpoint places on a map, suggest tourist attractions in certain cities, and recommend destinations for a stag/hen weekend, short haul beach holiday and long haul honeymoon destination. For the maths part I would recommend brushing up on percentages as the questions asked you to work out percentages of prices, commission etc. Once I had finished myself and the store team leader begun the interview. It was really relaxed and I was explained what would be expected of me, how the company is growing and how I could potentially grow within the company. I was asked what motivated me and how i've gone out of my way to achieve a sale previously. I really enjoyed the interview and left really wanting the job. I was previously asked to give feedback to my previous interviewer after I had finished the meet and greet, later that day I was offered the job which I happily accepted.

Interview Questions
  • give me an example of a time when you were responsible for something you were working on to be successful   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Flight Centre

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Sydney (Australia)

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in January 2015.

Started at 915, started by introducing person next to us, I think this is to see how well u can basic sell as well as give the recruitment people info.. Don't admit u have kids, or never done sales!

Interview Questions
    • Lame online test, with no 'wrong answers' has to be submitted prior to interview.
      Written geography and math test. Geography was 10 minutes to compete Chilean airline, japan airline, England airline, and Australian airline, very easy. Also where is port Douglas? Cable beach? Whitsundays?
      They kept saying 'it's sales orientated' so geography isn't as important as sales skills.
      One on one sales role play, sell a holiday in 4 minutes.

View Answer
    • I asked the recruiter how many interviews they do, she said 3 a week!
      That's a lot of people coming through and i got the impression that they didn't really care and just wanting the best sales people, in a job straight away. Not very welcoming either.

View Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in January 2015.

I applied online online on the weekend through seek.com.au and received an email on the Monday to select a time for interviews. There was a slot available for 20 minutes after I got the email so I chose that one seeing as though I was as ready as i'll ever be. I took the call and the lady I spoke to was nice. She asked me about my experience working in a customer service/ sales role as well as my achievements and strengths, she was pleased to inform me that she would like for me to attend a group interview in two days time. I had a friend on facebook get offered a position with flight centre the day before my interview so they were very helpful in preparing me, so I hope to do the same for others on this forum. On the day you arrive at the careers centre and fill out a form, there are about 20 other people in the room. You watch a video about flight centre, look interested. You then write 3 things you learned and go find someone in the room you don't know and exchange ideas. After this you sit back where you were and pair up again. You are given 2 minutes to learn about your partner and sell why they would be perfect for flight centre, remember as much as you can about them, take notes if you feel you need to but try not to rely too heavily on them. They then sell you. You then sit the maths exam and then a basic geography exam. (please do not stress, I am terrible at maths and I did okay. The math in the computer test you did was harder) During this time people are called individually to sell a holiday to the interviewer, you can make things up so don't worry if you aren't well travelled, just use the 7 step sales process in one of the videos you watch to the best of your ability, you can write it down (hint) After this the room is split into 4 rooms and 2 of those groups are asked to go home. *Lunch break* If you are lucky enough to make it back there is another video about the company culture and incentives as well as the pay and commission breakdowns. You will split into two groups for another activity, this one is to do with cards you have to pick 3 you think reflect you and eventually pick one and share it with the group. as a group you need to pick one and share as a group to the others why you picked it, its a good idea to have more than one idea on what to say so no one else takes your idea. Then there is a group interview where you are each asked questions individually. think of scenarios where you turned a negative situation into a positive or where you have to be persistent with a customer to be successful in something. That is usually the end of the day, One thing I would like to mention is that I notice people leave negative feedback in regards to hours and pay. Clearly you haven't much experience in sales or you are just lazy. I was unemployed for a little while so I know that 30k base is much better than 0k base, besides you are guaranteed 40k in your first year with the average being 45-50k but the commission is UNCAPPED. you get out what you put in. One bloke made 450k last year!! he answers his phone at 4am to clients though so this is just a high end example. If you're not passionate about travel and customer service or just looking for a job and not a career you can be proud of, than I can see why you shouldn't waste your time. Hope I gave some insight :)

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time you had to use innovative thinking or research at work to come up with a solution for a customer   View Answer
    Base salary is 30k (min 40k for first year) I like to think of my commission as my main source of income and my base as a bonus.

Travel Consultant Interview

Applied online, then had short phone interview at the end of which I was told I was through to the next stage, then had assessment in head office and group interview. Few days later I was told I had got through to training and once I passed training I started full time in store.

Travel Consultant Interview

In depth application form. Email recieved next day to arrange 10 min telephone interview. Arranged time for that day. Phone call was late. Interviewer was short sharp and abrut asking why applied. Almost parrot fashion reading of screen ....taking no note of what saying. Put phone dowm on me and said would be intouch. Recieved email next day.

Travel Consultant Interview

Was personally referred by an employee so was guaranteed a phone interview, until they found out my visa status. Valid 2 years visa and just at the very beginning but they didn't accept it still.

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Online application,
    phone interview (5/10 minutes) with questions asking why you chose the flight centre, previous experience and I also had a sales role play in which I had to pretend to sell a camera.
    I was then invited for an interview at the head office.

Upon arrival I had a one hour exam in which to complete questions on capital cities, landmarks (country/city) recommendations of places for stag/hen doo (attactions there, why you chose it etc), label countires or cities on a map, lots of maths questions working out commison (quite long winded - percentage skills) and some other general travel questions about flight times. Also we then had instructions to follow using their booking system. Make sure you read an scan the screen in detail as it was a little hard to see where things were sometimes.
    It was just me and another lady and we were both interview in the same room with one interviewer, alot of competency questions (multi tasking, what motivates you, sales technique etc)..it was a very relaxed atmosphere but just quite long winded.

Overall it was a good experience, just a very long process, I was at the interview for about 3 hours. But the interviewer was very nice and I think it needs to be longwinded to make sure they find the correct type of person as it sounds like a very intense job in which you need certain qualites.

I would recommend just making sure you brush up on landmarks in different countries but also other things you could do in that place, capital cities, percentages and maths skills (you are provided with a calculator) and also just answers to questions and making sure you get all the information they are looking for in. The interview questions required you to be very specific.

Interview Questions
    • Most of them were expected questions, but you have to be very specific.   View Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in October 2014.

Applied online through Targetjobs.co.uk, filled in application about my passion for travel, remotely-related target-driven experience.

Within a few hours of submitting online application was offered a time-slot to book a 5-10min initial phone interview, booked a slot, however they didn't phone until almost 45 mins after the original time they said they would, by this time I was busy so had to reschedule, they were apologetic though. When did have the initial call it felt rushed and apathetic, I guess they were rushing through a load of people trying to sift through best candidates.

Questions for this quick call included:
    What attracted you to FC?
    Tell me about previous job exp (highlight sales etc);
    Why do you think you would be good in a sales role?
    Are you a competitive person?
    Where have you travelled outside of Europe?

Then got offered a second (surprised!), more in-depth phone interview for a week letter, and had to complete online assessments (personality and maths-wise - definitely dedicate a lot of time for this) before the more in-depth interview. It was a nicer interview but still quite rushed and impersonal though.

Questions for the more in-depth phone interview:
    What have you been doing recently (jobs wise)?
    Tell me about a time where you had to persevere in a sales/target-driven role;
    How would you explain complicated systems to a customer, tell me about a time when you did this;
    Tell me about a time when you had to deal with sales competition and how you modeled your product to suit your customer;
    Explain your experience with time management and prioritisation.

Got offered a meet and greet at the end of the more in-depth phone interview (massively surprised!) at the store I applied for, they sent through details of location etc for a weeks time.

First arrived at store had to do tests as soon as i arrived on shop floor in front of customers and all other staff - annoying and v. busy but can only imagine they make you do this to get to know what the constant atmosphere is like.

The tests were geography-based e.g:
    name capitals;
    locations of landmarks;
    dot places on a map;
    advise someone on where to go for a hen/stag weekend with culture and party atmosphere;
    recommend a honeymoon destination and explain benefits of your choice;
    recommend a beach holiday destination within 4 hours flight etc etc.

Then had to do a maths test after this with similar scenarios as to what the job would entail such as:
    For a stay two week stay with 2 adults and 2 children work out: adults stay in a hotel is £1069 each and the teenagers is 75% of the adults fee and an infant is 10% of the adults fee, how much is the total price for this including your commission.
    Also scenarios to do with full packages including flights, hotels and other travel-related things.

After the test was taken to a kind of kitchen/chill out area for staff for the main interview with two store managers/team leaders.

Questions asked at store:
    What motivates you?
    Why flight centre?
    Time management related questions
    Previous sales/target-based roles

The interview was a bit of a shambles on their part because the room kept having staff wandering in and out of it and totally threw me off my answers and generally being able to concentrate - very distracting. Also the staff i don't think represented the FC at all well, they were blunt about the role etc i.e. talking about targets and support offered but just didn't seemed phased and bothered to be interviewing me at all. Totally put me off wanting to work in those stores in particular. I'd heard from reviews on here that atmosphere and expectations are different store-to-store and this one mentioned how its a 9-6 job but most people don't get out until 7/8ish!! Ridiculous for a job that pays so little. I'd not had much experience with sales jobs, although had had exp with target-based roles in past and FC i don't think is for me at all for these reasons, if they'd have given a better impression I may have been more interested.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you? How would you explain complicated systems to a customer, tell me about a time when you did this.   Answer Question

I left the store after the interview having been told i'd be rung by the person that conducted the phone interviews, I have since been offered a position but turned it down in a heartbeat - glad I went to the meet and greet at store because it satisfied my curiosity of ever wanting to choose a position with the FC and I will never consider it again.

I think it is a job for someone who loves sales and travel combined and works well in a very distracting atmosphere. The benefits are great and the development sounds good in terms of that fact that travel consultant jobs are their 'feeder' roles into the rest of the company. If i had the courage to stick the consultant job out for a while I'd definitely be thinking of seeking a job in a less sales-based role in the company but obviously not sure how easy that would be. although it definitely seemed possible.

Mixed experience, quite impersonal, but great benefits it seems if you suit the job well, just wasn't for me. Glad for the experience though :)

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in October 2014.

1) Online application - On the next day they sent me an e-mail to book a telephone interview
    2) Telephone Interview (10 min): Questions on customer service and sales experience, my travel history, my knowledge about Fligh Centre and a role play where I should sell a camera. - I was asked to do the psychometric tests and booked a face-to-face interview for the nest day
    3) Psychometric assessment - Too long and boring!
    4) Written test on geography, travel and maths. Galileu exercise. Face-to-face interview with another applicant.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mermaid Beach (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mermaid Beach (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in September 2014.

1. Telephone interview- questions were: why do you want to work for us? What do you think the role entails? etc, nothing too frightening.

2. An online psychological/personality test with Launchpad, to be completed before the group assessment.

3. Group assessment: held here on the Gold Coast, I was UNsuccessful.. however I will try to share with you as many details as I can remember.

- we all sit around a table (there will be 10-15 people in the group) and listen to the introduction given by the recruitment team which basically just summarises the information available on their website.

-we are then asked to have a 10 minute conversation with the person sitting next to us. We then have to both stand up and present the person to the rest of the group, saying why they'd make a great travel consultant.

-We are then given an exam, with a numeracy, geography and customer service component. The numeracy exam is very simple with a calculator provided, for example: A couple and their 3 and 1 year old children are searching the cheapest airfares for their trip to Thailand. They are comparing Malaysia Airlines and Thai Airways. With Malaysia airlines, an adult ticket is $2000, while a child ticket (age 2-11) is 75% that of the adult price, and an infant ticket (>2) is 10% of the adult ticket. If the travel consultant commission is 8% of the airfare, what is the total cost of airfares for the family with Malaysia Airlines?

There was one long numeracy question like this (you need to show all working), which included taxes on the airfares, and having to calculate the commission (which is of the airfare, without taxes).

-the geography component requires knowledge of capital cities, landmarks/attractions and airlines.
    GO TO THE FLIGHT CENTRE WEBSITE, CLICK "DESTINATIONS" AND MEMORISE THE CAPITAL CITIES OF ALL COUNTRIES LISTED. For example, there was Egypt (Cairo), Fiji (Suva), Germany (Berlin), England (London), UAE (Abu Dhabi), Indonesia (Jakarta), etc etc. Pretty touristy and well known countries, so you won't get stuck. There is a question with a list of landmarks, you need to be able to say in what country you'd find these landmarks. Ones that come to mind: Phi Phi Island (Thailand), Kruger National Park (South Africa), Machu Picchu (Peru), Statue of Christ the Redeemer (Brazil), Grand Canyon (United States), Waikiki Beach (Hawaii), Great Pyramids of Giza (Egypt), Taj Mahal (India), Bayon Temple (Cambodia), Church of Our Savior in Spilled Blood (Russia)- just memorise as many landmarks and attractions as you can.
    Another question: where would you recommend someone go skiing in Australia? You need to select two from the list, I selected Perisher and Aspen.
    You also need to know the national carriers/airlines of a number of countries/places, such as:
    England: British Airways
    New Zealand: Air New Zealand
    Turkey: Turkish Airlines
    Russia: Aeroflot
    Others I don't remember?

You also need to know exactly where Italy, France and England are on an unlabeled map.

There is a question asking for three things you'd recommend someone see/do when travelling to Thailand, and three things you'd recommend to someone travelling to the West Coast of the USA.

There is also a question about which country you have to be in and leave from to enter Alcatraz Island.
    There is a question asking which airport you would recommend someone travelling to Port Douglas?? Something like that. Just research Port Douglas to be safe.
    I think there was also something about Canada, but I forget.
    you also had to know where to find a lake.. I think somewhere in the South Pacific (Oceania)?? I can't remember the name though :( Sorry that's unhelpful. You really need to know South Pacific Islands.

CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION OF EXAM: It's just one question, which is: Sarah's Europe tour had been cancelled, and she had booked with full awareness that the departure of this tour was not yet confirmed. She was very upset because all of her other plans had been made around the itinerary of this tour. Write what you would email to Sarah, as the travel consultant (our customers are always expecting the best customer service). This must be answered in email format.

During the exam you will all be interrupted one by one to go into another room and do a sales role play. Our role play was a trip to Fiji. Basically the lady was pretending to be a customer entering the travel agent, she sat herself down and said she wants to go on a trip to fiji and she doesn't want to spend too much. You need to ask qualifying questions, such as if she's going alone or with her family, what she's looking to get out of her trip, how much she's willing to spend, where the last place was she traveled to etc etc. Then advise accordingly. So you really need to RESEARCH FIJI.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the general unexpectedness in some of the geography questions, and the sales role play. Just research Fiji lots and practice travel sales technique.   Answer Question