Flight Centre

Updated Nov 15, 2014

3.4

42 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Travel Consultant Interview

In depth application form. Email recieved next day to arrange 10 min telephone interview. Arranged time for that day. Phone call was late. Interviewer was short sharp and abrut asking why applied. Almost parrot fashion reading of screen ....taking no note of what saying. Put phone dowm on me and said would be intouch. Recieved email next day.

Other Interview Reviews for Flight Centre

Travel Consultant Interview

Was personally referred by an employee so was guaranteed a phone interview, until they found out my visa status. Valid 2 years visa and just at the very beginning but they didn't accept it still.

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Online application,
    phone interview (5/10 minutes) with questions asking why you chose the flight centre, previous experience and I also had a sales role play in which I had to pretend to sell a camera.
    I was then invited for an interview at the head office.

Upon arrival I had a one hour exam in which to complete questions on capital cities, landmarks (country/city) recommendations of places for stag/hen doo (attactions there, why you chose it etc), label countires or cities on a map, lots of maths questions working out commison (quite long winded - percentage skills) and some other general travel questions about flight times. Also we then had instructions to follow using their booking system. Make sure you read an scan the screen in detail as it was a little hard to see where things were sometimes.
    It was just me and another lady and we were both interview in the same room with one interviewer, alot of competency questions (multi tasking, what motivates you, sales technique etc)..it was a very relaxed atmosphere but just quite long winded.

Overall it was a good experience, just a very long process, I was at the interview for about 3 hours. But the interviewer was very nice and I think it needs to be longwinded to make sure they find the correct type of person as it sounds like a very intense job in which you need certain qualites.

I would recommend just making sure you brush up on landmarks in different countries but also other things you could do in that place, capital cities, percentages and maths skills (you are provided with a calculator) and also just answers to questions and making sure you get all the information they are looking for in. The interview questions required you to be very specific.

Interview Questions
    • Most of them were expected questions, but you have to be very specific.   View Answer

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in October 2014.

Applied online through Targetjobs.co.uk, filled in application about my passion for travel, remotely-related target-driven experience.

Within a few hours of submitting online application was offered a time-slot to book a 5-10min initial phone interview, booked a slot, however they didn't phone until almost 45 mins after the original time they said they would, by this time I was busy so had to reschedule, they were apologetic though. When did have the initial call it felt rushed and apathetic, I guess they were rushing through a load of people trying to sift through best candidates.

Questions for this quick call included:
    What attracted you to FC?
    Tell me about previous job exp (highlight sales etc);
    Why do you think you would be good in a sales role?
    Are you a competitive person?
    Where have you travelled outside of Europe?

Then got offered a second (surprised!), more in-depth phone interview for a week letter, and had to complete online assessments (personality and maths-wise - definitely dedicate a lot of time for this) before the more in-depth interview. It was a nicer interview but still quite rushed and impersonal though.

Questions for the more in-depth phone interview:
    What have you been doing recently (jobs wise)?
    Tell me about a time where you had to persevere in a sales/target-driven role;
    How would you explain complicated systems to a customer, tell me about a time when you did this;
    Tell me about a time when you had to deal with sales competition and how you modeled your product to suit your customer;
    Explain your experience with time management and prioritisation.

Got offered a meet and greet at the end of the more in-depth phone interview (massively surprised!) at the store I applied for, they sent through details of location etc for a weeks time.

First arrived at store had to do tests as soon as i arrived on shop floor in front of customers and all other staff - annoying and v. busy but can only imagine they make you do this to get to know what the constant atmosphere is like.

The tests were geography-based e.g:
    name capitals;
    locations of landmarks;
    dot places on a map;
    advise someone on where to go for a hen/stag weekend with culture and party atmosphere;
    recommend a honeymoon destination and explain benefits of your choice;
    recommend a beach holiday destination within 4 hours flight etc etc.

Then had to do a maths test after this with similar scenarios as to what the job would entail such as:
    For a stay two week stay with 2 adults and 2 children work out: adults stay in a hotel is £1069 each and the teenagers is 75% of the adults fee and an infant is 10% of the adults fee, how much is the total price for this including your commission.
    Also scenarios to do with full packages including flights, hotels and other travel-related things.

After the test was taken to a kind of kitchen/chill out area for staff for the main interview with two store managers/team leaders.

Questions asked at store:
    What motivates you?
    Why flight centre?
    Time management related questions
    Previous sales/target-based roles

The interview was a bit of a shambles on their part because the room kept having staff wandering in and out of it and totally threw me off my answers and generally being able to concentrate - very distracting. Also the staff i don't think represented the FC at all well, they were blunt about the role etc i.e. talking about targets and support offered but just didn't seemed phased and bothered to be interviewing me at all. Totally put me off wanting to work in those stores in particular. I'd heard from reviews on here that atmosphere and expectations are different store-to-store and this one mentioned how its a 9-6 job but most people don't get out until 7/8ish!! Ridiculous for a job that pays so little. I'd not had much experience with sales jobs, although had had exp with target-based roles in past and FC i don't think is for me at all for these reasons, if they'd have given a better impression I may have been more interested.

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you? How would you explain complicated systems to a customer, tell me about a time when you did this.   Answer Question

I left the store after the interview having been told i'd be rung by the person that conducted the phone interviews, I have since been offered a position but turned it down in a heartbeat - glad I went to the meet and greet at store because it satisfied my curiosity of ever wanting to choose a position with the FC and I will never consider it again.

I think it is a job for someone who loves sales and travel combined and works well in a very distracting atmosphere. The benefits are great and the development sounds good in terms of that fact that travel consultant jobs are their 'feeder' roles into the rest of the company. If i had the courage to stick the consultant job out for a while I'd definitely be thinking of seeking a job in a less sales-based role in the company but obviously not sure how easy that would be. although it definitely seemed possible.

Mixed experience, quite impersonal, but great benefits it seems if you suit the job well, just wasn't for me. Glad for the experience though :)

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Malden, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in October 2014.

1) Online application - On the next day they sent me an e-mail to book a telephone interview
    2) Telephone Interview (10 min): Questions on customer service and sales experience, my travel history, my knowledge about Fligh Centre and a role play where I should sell a camera. - I was asked to do the psychometric tests and booked a face-to-face interview for the nest day
    3) Psychometric assessment - Too long and boring!
    4) Written test on geography, travel and maths. Galileu exercise. Face-to-face interview with another applicant.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mermaid Beach (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mermaid Beach (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in September 2014.

1. Telephone interview- questions were: why do you want to work for us? What do you think the role entails? etc, nothing too frightening.

2. An online psychological/personality test with Launchpad, to be completed before the group assessment.

3. Group assessment: held here on the Gold Coast, I was UNsuccessful.. however I will try to share with you as many details as I can remember.

- we all sit around a table (there will be 10-15 people in the group) and listen to the introduction given by the recruitment team which basically just summarises the information available on their website.

-we are then asked to have a 10 minute conversation with the person sitting next to us. We then have to both stand up and present the person to the rest of the group, saying why they'd make a great travel consultant.

-We are then given an exam, with a numeracy, geography and customer service component. The numeracy exam is very simple with a calculator provided, for example: A couple and their 3 and 1 year old children are searching the cheapest airfares for their trip to Thailand. They are comparing Malaysia Airlines and Thai Airways. With Malaysia airlines, an adult ticket is $2000, while a child ticket (age 2-11) is 75% that of the adult price, and an infant ticket (>2) is 10% of the adult ticket. If the travel consultant commission is 8% of the airfare, what is the total cost of airfares for the family with Malaysia Airlines?

There was one long numeracy question like this (you need to show all working), which included taxes on the airfares, and having to calculate the commission (which is of the airfare, without taxes).

-the geography component requires knowledge of capital cities, landmarks/attractions and airlines.
    GO TO THE FLIGHT CENTRE WEBSITE, CLICK "DESTINATIONS" AND MEMORISE THE CAPITAL CITIES OF ALL COUNTRIES LISTED. For example, there was Egypt (Cairo), Fiji (Suva), Germany (Berlin), England (London), UAE (Abu Dhabi), Indonesia (Jakarta), etc etc. Pretty touristy and well known countries, so you won't get stuck. There is a question with a list of landmarks, you need to be able to say in what country you'd find these landmarks. Ones that come to mind: Phi Phi Island (Thailand), Kruger National Park (South Africa), Machu Picchu (Peru), Statue of Christ the Redeemer (Brazil), Grand Canyon (United States), Waikiki Beach (Hawaii), Great Pyramids of Giza (Egypt), Taj Mahal (India), Bayon Temple (Cambodia), Church of Our Savior in Spilled Blood (Russia)- just memorise as many landmarks and attractions as you can.
    Another question: where would you recommend someone go skiing in Australia? You need to select two from the list, I selected Perisher and Aspen.
    You also need to know the national carriers/airlines of a number of countries/places, such as:
    England: British Airways
    New Zealand: Air New Zealand
    Turkey: Turkish Airlines
    Russia: Aeroflot
    Others I don't remember?

You also need to know exactly where Italy, France and England are on an unlabeled map.

There is a question asking for three things you'd recommend someone see/do when travelling to Thailand, and three things you'd recommend to someone travelling to the West Coast of the USA.

There is also a question about which country you have to be in and leave from to enter Alcatraz Island.
    There is a question asking which airport you would recommend someone travelling to Port Douglas?? Something like that. Just research Port Douglas to be safe.
    I think there was also something about Canada, but I forget.
    you also had to know where to find a lake.. I think somewhere in the South Pacific (Oceania)?? I can't remember the name though :( Sorry that's unhelpful. You really need to know South Pacific Islands.

CUSTOMER SERVICE SECTION OF EXAM: It's just one question, which is: Sarah's Europe tour had been cancelled, and she had booked with full awareness that the departure of this tour was not yet confirmed. She was very upset because all of her other plans had been made around the itinerary of this tour. Write what you would email to Sarah, as the travel consultant (our customers are always expecting the best customer service). This must be answered in email format.

During the exam you will all be interrupted one by one to go into another room and do a sales role play. Our role play was a trip to Fiji. Basically the lady was pretending to be a customer entering the travel agent, she sat herself down and said she wants to go on a trip to fiji and she doesn't want to spend too much. You need to ask qualifying questions, such as if she's going alone or with her family, what she's looking to get out of her trip, how much she's willing to spend, where the last place was she traveled to etc etc. Then advise accordingly. So you really need to RESEARCH FIJI.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the general unexpectedness in some of the geography questions, and the sales role play. Just research Fiji lots and practice travel sales technique.   Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Flight Centre in July 2014.

Initial application online through their web site. Then an e-mail asking to choose a time for a phone interview, then a call inviting me to do an online assessment and attend a group assessment. Full day group assessment process. During group assessment, you do a number of role playing activities, a written test (pretty easy) and throughout the day people are cut. Made it to the last 6. Haven't heard back yet but hopeful that I was successful.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part of the process for most people was the group assessment. I did not find it intimidating bur many did. Best advice is to stay calm and positive. Be friendly with your competition as you are with them all day and you are being observed. Written test was simple - name some countries in Europe, ski vacation spots, golf resorts, calculate some simple percentages (commission on travel) and prepare an e-mail to a client, as well as demonstrating your ability to use a PC.

Most of the assessment is in front of your peers, with a panel of interviewers.

Enjoyed the process very much. Made friends with some of the others who were applying for the job too. I liked the enthusiasm, the culture (a sales culture for sure, so if you're not into that, don't apply). Be ready to show your leadership, cooperation, sales skills and customer service focus.

Anxious to hear if I got the job. I know I would love the work! No offer yet - still waiting to hear.
        Answer Question

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Flight Centre in July 2014.

The lady she called me for the interview was very rude and I wasn't happy at all with the interview. They want you to work for nothing and extra hours!!!

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Flight Centre in July 2014.

I thought I would come back here and give you guys some tips as I believe the reason I got offered this job is because this forum gave me some great tips which I studied up on. Firstly I had a phone interview (real easy), then got asked to go to the group assessment process. The group assessment day begins with a run down of the company. Then we paired up and got asked to sell our partner & why they would be good for the position.Then we got given a geography and numeracy test (they ask for lots of capitals, major airlines of certain countries, where you would go skiing, scuba diving, where certain landmarks are, why you would choose independent touring over contiki etc etc...) as long as you study for a few hours YOU WILL BE FINE! The numeracy test was also super easy. Nothing to stress over (calculators provided). They then short listed and the remaining people had their 1 on 1 interviews (basic questions. eg. give an example of a time you had to deal with conflict in the workplace)...Goodluck everyone!

Travel Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Flight Centre.

Student Flights - Ad on seek - online app done Friday. Call Monday to arrange phone interview, booked for following Friday. Went well. Skype interview booked for following Wednesday. Email confirmation containing info and links to online assessment. Tedious and annoying personality questions, last 2 sections maths, so ensure you have a calculator.
    Numeracy exam 10 questions on equations for holiday packages, eg family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children, 11 and 7, travelling to London, adult flights are $1430 each and taxes are $213.50 each. Children until 10 are 70% of the adult fair plus taxes. (I can only assume the 11 year old is changed as an adult) How much does it cost for the family?
    Skype interview - first 15 mins were about company benefits and how much work is involved. Next basic geometry, eg capitol cities of Indonesia, Canada, Fiji, Egypt, New Zealand. Major airlines in Australia. Name of airlines for, Germany, Thailand, India, Australia, Dubai. Famous landmarks....
    Roll play - Sell a overseas holiday to a customer who wants one. Easy but I can talk crap. Make sure you introduce yourself, find out all the details: where, when, why, how, budget. Cross sell - travel insurance, hotels, visa, work, anything ect, close the sale.
    Questions - How did you overcome a difficult situation at work
                     - example of when you provided good customer service.
                      - example of when you multitasked at work
    Advice - read all the info they send to you, learn capitol cities, as long as you know some you will be sweet. Be excited about 'buzz" nights, and retainer $31k....remember its commission. Paid monthly. Looks like long hours, but hopefully the benefits will come soon enough.
    The next day I got a call. - more questions, are you happy with how your interview went, do you have any questions, are you happy to work weekends and public holidays, ect, then finally offered me the job.....Excited to start. I wanted a commission role because I can actually sell...lets see if I can make some moolah talking about my passion! Don't apply if you want a wage.

No negotiation