Flight Centre

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in May 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out an online application, was then contacted for a phone interview. The woman seemed to be having a bad day and took it out on me a bit. She mentioned the retainer is only $30k with overtime (at least 3 hours a day) not paid. I was lost for words and withdrew my application on the spot.

Interview Question – N/A, I didn't get much further than being told I'd be paid minimum wage to work 12-13 hours a day.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Extremely low pay for extremely long hours. Told I'd be coming in at 8am and leaving at 9pm every night. Worked out I'd be working for less than $10 an hour after tax. I got paid more when I was working as a checkout girl at Target during my last year of high school. Also have zero interest in these boozy buzz nights they were so heavily trying to sell to me and was not impressed they seem to have the money to send their top consultants to Cancun for a glitzy party but can't pay their consultants a fair wage for their job.

Travel Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – Student Flights - Ad on seek - online app done Friday. Call Monday to arrange phone interview, booked for following Friday. Went well. Skype interview booked for following Wednesday. Email confirmation containing info and links to online assessment. Tedious and annoying personality questions, last 2 sections maths, so ensure you have a calculator.
Numeracy exam 10 questions on equations for holiday packages, eg family of 4, 2 adults and 2 children, 11 and 7, travelling to London, adult flights are $1430 each and taxes are $213.50 each. Children until 10 are 70% of the adult fair plus taxes. (I can only assume the 11 year old is changed as an adult) How much does it cost for the family?
Skype interview - first 15 mins were about company benefits and how much work is involved. Next basic geometry, eg capitol cities of Indonesia, Canada, Fiji, Egypt, New Zealand. Major airlines in Australia. Name of airlines for, Germany, Thailand, India, Australia, Dubai. Famous landmarks....
Roll play - Sell a overseas holiday to a customer who wants one. Easy but I can talk crap. Make sure you introduce yourself, find out all the details: where, when, why, how, budget. Cross sell - travel insurance, hotels, visa, work, anything ect, close the sale.
Questions - How did you overcome a difficult situation at work
                 - example of when you provided good customer service.
                  - example of when you multitasked at work
Advice - read all the info they send to you, learn capitol cities, as long as you know some you will be sweet. Be excited about 'buzz" nights, and retainer $31k....remember its commission. Paid monthly. Looks like long hours, but hopefully the benefits will come soon enough.
The next day I got a call. - more questions, are you happy with how your interview went, do you have any questions, are you happy to work weekends and public holidays, ect, then finally offered me the job.....Excited to start. I wanted a commission role because I can actually sell...lets see if I can make some moolah talking about my passion! Don't apply if you want a wage.

Interview Question – How did you overcome a difficult situation at work   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Travel Consultant

I applied in-person and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – After two unsuccessful interviews I was referred by an existing staff member and only received a phone interview.. after my forth time, I was offered a scholarship ($500 "enrollment fee") and then put into a "talent pool" then was given one interview and never got a call back! I just wish I knew what to work on!

The hiring process is long & time consuming; try 3-4 times before you give up! It is a great place to work just extremely hard to get into! I will try again later down the track

Interview Question – When you went to (destination) what kind of people/ tourist were there?   Answer Question

Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online via flightcentre.ca and was sent a generic E-mail to pick a time slot for my telephone interview. The telephone interview was very basic and took about 5 minutes "why do you want to work here?" "What do you know about Flight Centre? "Where have you traveled?" etc... I was then asked to complete an online psychometric test including behavioral questions and personality type questions, and a timed math section (this online test took about 1.5 hours to complete). Next I was asked to attend a group assessment based in downtown Toronto. The group assessment was horrible. It started off with about a 15 minute, boring, useless movie about parties that you can attend annually if you meet your targets. Following the movie, we were explained the perks about working for flight centre. We then had to work with a partner and introduce them to the group and try to explain why they should hire your partner (I think it would have made more sense if we tried to sell ourselves rather than our partner considering we are the ones who are applying for the job. Anyways, next we were given two documents to read over and had to do a sales and customer service scenario as part of the interview process (this was so the recruiters can see the way we sell) For the customer service one, you act as if you are working for flight centre and a customer comes in looking for a vacation spot and has no idea where to go. Note The recruiters will try to make it difficult by turning down the first place you try to sell them so I recommend you try to sell them a place that you've never traveled to and when they turn it down then try to sell a place that you've traveled to. For the sales scenario, you will be working in a store as one of the recruiters come to return something (make sure to read the document carefully so you know the return policy etc...) We were then given a written test with questions such as "Name 3 places you'd recommend for a ski trip" "Name 3 countries in Europe" "Name 2 golf resorts" A few basic computer questions (and some mathematical questions to calculate commissions. The math questions are super easy as you're given a calculator to use. At the end of the written test, you have to write out how you would type an E-mail to a customer if they've inquired about a vacation package. There is a quick break as the recruiters are making their decision and that's when they lie to the group saying that they need a few people to stick around to discuss their online test. Keep in mind that if you are sent home at this time, it means that you didn't pass through to the next round. We are then given a lunch break and the recruiters come back and sit whoever is left at one side of the table as they sit across from us and ask us another scenario question each. This part is extremely intimidating as you are not only answering in front of the recruiters but also in front of the others who are competing against you for the position. I felt I answered all questions and scenarios well and received a call the following day from the recruiters saying that they were very happy with me and that the final step was to meet and greet with the person in control of my area. Please take notes as this is very important. I got the vibe right when I shook hands and first met with the area manager that she did not like me. She asked where I've traveled to and after mentioning the 12 different countries that I've visited, she was apparently bothered that I haven't been to the Caribbean I've traveled all around the Middle East, the Gulf, Asia, Europe and all over Canada and the US and she wasn't pleased by that? Her only concern was that I have not been to the Caribbean? She then started asking personal questions such as where I'm from originally and where I was born? Being born and raised in Canada with no accent what so ever, I didn't feel the need to tell her what my background was... I knew at that moment that something seemed wrong, it felt like discrimination / racism but I kept strong and continued with the interview with my bubbly personality and tried to change her mind about me hoping that she would look passed my skin colour... However, I was wrong. I received a phone call from head office the following business day saying that I was not chosen for the position.... I kindly asked for feedback for my interview and they refused it? This is unprofessional and unacceptable. Flight Centre discriminates and I highly recommend NO ONE of any diverse background should apply here as they discriminate. You have to go through hell and back and torture for a salary of $27K!!! Also, you work a lotttt of over time and do not get paid for it.... It's not worth it. I'm not being a hater because I wasn't chosen for the position but no one should have to go through discrimination like this as Canada is a very diverse country and these people should realize that.

Interview Question – What is your background? Where are you from originally   View Answer

Sydney (Australia)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – I applied via an employee referral and was contacted within 2 days to book a time slot for a phone interview. At this stage, the interviewer asked basic questions about my motivation to work for the company.

I progressed to the next stage of recruitment which consisted of an online test (mainly questions that test how you work individually/in a team) and i booked in for the group interview 5 days later. This online test took about an hour and was mainly questions about my personality. There were some timed maths questions towards the end so make sure you have a calculator handy!

The group interview was held from 9.15am till 3pm, and was about 30 other candidates. The day started off with a brief run down of Flight Centre and all the benefits of the company. We then had a quick introduction activity, where we were allocated 5 minutes to introduce ourselves to the person sitting next to us, and gain information about them and why they should be hired by Flight Centre as a travel consultant. This was then presented back to the group. Following this we did some group activities and a sales role-play. We also and 50mins to 1 hour to complete a geography and maths test. This was quite easy just make sure you read the maths questions thoroughly.

After we returned from lunch, we were split into smaller groups for the interview section of the assessment day. Be sure to think of detailed and specific examples of when you had met a customer's needs through various techniques in the work environment.

All in all the recruitment process was not too difficult, however it was very time consuming and after every exercise/activity, you were left wondering "did i just blow my chance?".

Interview Question – Give an example of when you used innovative thinking on the job   Answer Question

Travel Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Flight Centre in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume, invited to a phone interview via an email. Phone interview was brief and the interviewer asked me to describe why I would be a good fit for the job. Invited to attend an interview. Prior to interview they ask you to complete a test online that takes almost two hours.

Interview Question – There is a written test, be sure to study capital cities of the world. Individually you take part in a sales role play.   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Flight Centre in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. No response within 48hrs which their website states so I emailed recruitment department and it turns out I had a phone interview but they had not emailed me this information. They then sent me an email to choose a time for the phone interview.

Interview Question – the questions were pretty average - my sales experience, where I had traveled, what I know about Flight Centre and why I chose Flight Centre over other travel agencies.
I did not have any experience of selling on commission so I struggled to persuade them I could do this and she very interested in this answer. Be confident with your answer on this one.
  Answer Question

Brisbane (Australia)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – IS IT TRUE THAT FLIGHT CENTRE DOESN'T HIRE PEOPLE WITH A WORKING HOLIDAY VISA??

I'm really disappointed because I received an answer on my online application after one day were the Hr Dep. said they were really impressed by my resume, so they invited me for a phone interview which I choosed to do 1 day after. During my application I've said that I had a Working Holiday Visa, and it's also written on the top of My Resume.
So I waited and prepared my self the all afternoon for the phone interview. Then I got a call from the HR manager and he told me: "so we were really impressed because your resume is Fantastic. But I just wanted to ask you something before: Do you hold a Working Holiday Visa?And I said: yes, I do and it was also written on my resume". And he said: "Oh I'm sorry but unfortunately we don't hire people with a WHV because the contract is for 1 year with us. If the visa conditions change, please let us know". I told him I was really disappointed because one Flight Centre employee told me they had WHV holders working for F.C.
So I asked him: so can you suggest me how can I change my VISA conditions? and He said: "sorry, I don't know much about these things...maybe you could request a Defacto-Partner Visa!"
(And I thought in my mind: "oh really?? so, Would you also find me an Australian Partner???").
I'm so disappointed!!
But after reading so many negative reviews about the stressful interview process and the working Conditions, maybe It wasn't really worth it!

FLIGHT CENTRE SHOULD MENTION ON THE ADV THAT THEY DON'T WANT PEOPLE WITH THE WORKING HOLIDAY VISA!!!!

Interview Question – Do you Have a Working Holiday Visa?   Answer Question

Travel Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – I was surprised to get an email within an hour of sending in my online application, saying I was accepted for a phone interview. I was given a list of times and a date to choose from for the interview, however I contacted the recruiter to reschedule since they didn't suit and had my interview at that moment. It was questions mainly regarding what sales experience I had and whether I had any CRS experience. It lasted for a couple minutes and was then invited for the group assessment interview.

I had to do an online test before the group assessment interview, it was absolutely tedious, with the first part all about your personality and work ethic. The second part was a timed maths and literacy test. It was quite difficult and confusing, so don't stress if you don't finish all the questions, none of the people I spoke to on the group assessment day finished it.

The group assessment day started out quite positive. I was a bit hesitant at actually going since I had read so many negative experiences about the assessment and people's experiences working in store; so bad that I was tempted to just cancel and not go as it didn't seem worth it considering the hard work and stress people have seemed to go through, for such a low salary, which you find out in your phone interview. I decided to go anyway and make my own judgement. The day started off with a video about the company and then we had to partner up with someone and tell them about why you wanted to work for Flight Centre and your most memorable travel story. I really enjoyed the group I was with; some interesting people and all were quite friendly and outgoing.

Sadly, that's where the positives ended. One of the recruiters then spoke about themselves from how they started with the company to how they got to where they are now. When someone asked whether they enjoyed working in store or in recruitment more, the recruiter clearly couldn't give any positive experiences working in store, saying they were still "getting over the scars of retail" and the fact that they love their food and wine, but "I never really started drinking so much until I started working for Flight Centre." I hardly think it's appropriate or professional to say such things to a group of people trying to gain a position within the company. It certainly put me off.

Afterwards, you have to sit a geography and maths test, which I found quite easy. It mainly asks things such as the capital cities of about 10 countries (including Poland, Fiji, New Zealand, England, Indonesia) the national airlines for a list of countries (including USA, UK, Fiji, Japan, New Zealand, Germany), mark the capital cities of a few countries in Europe on a map and the benefits of a coach tour vs. independent travel. The maths part was mainly calculating airfares and percentages for child and infant fare prices and commissions.

While you're doing the test, you get called in for your sales role play. You get given a sheet breaking down the sales process and you get time before hand to choose which country you want to sell and organise how you're going to sell it. You have four minutes to do your sales role play; I felt I done well, but could have done better. Afterwards, there's a lunch break while they figure out who was successful and when you come back, they call a list of names; these people get told to go to another room and those who didn't get called are told to leave.

Really do your research before you apply and practice your sales role play before the day; I felt like that's all they take into a account, not the maths or geography test, to move to the next round. You have to also make sure you're really passionate about going for the job, it looks like you'll be in for a rough haul, from the reviews I've read, with lots of overtime (with no pay) and high pressure, all for a measly $30,000 base rate.

Interview Question – The sales role play.   View Answers (2)

Travel Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Flight Centre.

Interview Details – Applied via Indeed.ca. Sent to the website to fill out form and send in resume. Then next day a generic email was sent for you to schedule a time for phone interview. YOU are supposed to call them at that time and date. I called and it went to voicemail. No joke. They later called back. Ask you generic questions. Why would you like to work here? what do you know about flight centre? explain your past jobs. I didn't find her empathetic. Seemed a bit abrupt. Whatever will see what happens.

Interview Question – What are three things needed to make a sale to a client or something like that....   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Flight Centre

Worked for Flight Centre? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flight Centre Travel Consultant interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by Flight Centre employees and interview candidates.