Flint Hills

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Environmental Specialist Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills.

Interview Details – Interview process was all day. I was assigned 6 different upper management personnel for individual interviews. It included persons from HR, Operations, and Environmental. Each person interviewed me for about 45 minutes each and it was all mainly behavioral questions. The interview process was not bad. If you prepare beforehand you will get by with no problems. Each interviewer was also nice.

Interview Question – What is your weakness?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was given an offer the same day of the interview but asked for time to review the contract. They were able to negotiate with me and I accepted in the end.

Support Role Interview

Wichita, KS

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills.

Interview Details – I applied through online and got a call after a week later about a phone interview.It lasted for an hour and tar is the HR person and she is very nice and make you more comfortable.The same day got an another call asking to attend for a face to face interview at the HQ.

Interview Question – How did you handled your colleague when you get frustrated with him?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received a phone call to schedule an hour long phone interview. Received an email the day after to schedule an in person interview at Wichita HQ. Interview was behavioral. Mainly monster.com questions. 4, 45 minute interviews. Got a phone call 2 days after in person interview from HR informing me I have an offer.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time you set a goal for yourself and you achieved that goal.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. Since this is an entry level position I am not sure how much room is available for negotiation.

Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills.

Interview Details – First interview was on campus then received a phone call two days after requesting second interview at their intern event. Interviewers were awesome at making you feel comfortable. The questions were mostly behavioral but definitely try to work in your technical skills in your answers. They were very quick to deliver decisions.

Interview Question – Give an example of a time when you did not meet your deadline.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Operations Technician Interview

Operations Technician

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Flint Hills in September 2013.

Interview Details – applied online, HR calls and Tara was extremely nice and helpful. phone interview lasted about an hour. they called back one week later to schedule panel style interview. interview was two separate 2-on-1 interview panels.

Interview Question – tell me about a time that you took initiative, against your supervisor's orders and your idea worked out for the best. explain how you did it.   Answer Question

Laboratory Technician Interview

Laboratory Technician
Rosemount, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills in April 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by phone a few weeks after applying online. I did an initial 30-minute phone interview with an HR representative from headquarters, and heard back in a few days about the face-to-face interview. The face-to-face interview was with three people, but not in an intimidating atmosphere. All were very straightforward and friendly, and they took me on a tour of the lab at the end of interview. I was offered the position about a week later. Overall, it was a very easy and quick process.

Interview Question – No technical questions, only behavioral questions. No unexpected questions, all were typical.   Answer Question

Business Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills.

Interview Details – Applied online at kochcareers.com, a month later a phone call from HR recruiter setting up phone interview with manager and 2 associates. I was asked questions about past experience and current applications. The recruiter called back and reported the interview went well and invited me to meet 6 interviewers on site. They all asked me about specific experiences with co-workers and previous managers that included difficult situations.

I was interviewed by various managers and HR. A week later the hiring manager called and offered me a position at more than I asked.

Interview Question – One question was how I dealt with a disagreement with a manager and how I resolved it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – HR asked about my salary, bonus and vacation history and I told her the minimums that would interest me.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Corpus Christi, TX

Interview Details – The interview process was very great to me, at first. I applied for the job online. Then I had a phone interview with HR, followed by a technical phone interview with the hiring manager. Following these phone calls, I was invited out for an on site interview at their Corpus Christi Refinery. This interview went very well, and I was very excited in the company.

One week later, I received a phone call telling me that I was getting a job offer. On this phone call, I was asked when I would like to start working. I am graduating in May, and I have been looking to start in August or September. All companies I have been speaking to have been very encouraging of these start dates, if their training schedules allow for it. So I requested these dates to the hiring manager over the phone. He told me that he would speak to HR and get back to me in few days. I left the phone call feeling excited for this great job opportunity.

Unfortunately, the next day I received a phone call informing me that my job offer had been rescinded. I was stunned. The manager told me that my "unusual" start date request apparently reflected poorly on my character and work ethic, and so the thought the company would be better off without me as an employee. Rather than providing a counter date that would work better for me to start on, they instead just dropped me. This was the first time that a negotiation following a job offer led to an offer being taken away, and hopefully it will be the last. I found the manager's behavior to be very unprofessional and disappointing.

Interview Question – The questions were all behavioral, so "Tell me about a time that you did..." and so on.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was given an offer, but it was rescinded for an unprofessional reason. I am extraordinarily disappointed in this company and the people that I spoke with.

Very Easy Interview

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Flint Hills in April 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process was pretty straight forward and quick. A couple days after I turned in my application online I received an email to have a phone interview. An engineer that was in the role called and explained what Koch/Flint Hills was and then asked a bunch of behavioral questions. The next day I got an email to fly out to their headquarters in Witchita, KS.

Koch sent a pre-paid credit card and arranged all the traveling for me. During the interviews you go through an open interview (where they discuss the process), have 4- 30 minute interviews, and then a closing interview to discuss your salary/location requirements.

Overall this was the most professional interview I've ever been through. They did an extremely nice job making sure everyone felt welcomed coming in. I will say all of their interview questions are behavorial, and they are trying to see if you fit in their MBM culture.

Interview Question – Name a time you felt you've been under-appreciated and what did you do   Answer Question

Training Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Flint Hills in March 2013.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with a recruiter on a Friday, had a face-to-face interview on the following Friday. Talked to 8 people individually and got a job offer the following Wednesday. Very professional process, very well structured. Everyone made you feel comfortable and welcome. Candidates should have their stories of accomplishments prepared because they use behavioral interviews

Interview Question – All questions were behavioral questions. Tell me about the time when you disagreed with your boss.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiated days off and got a day more than I asked, but did not change salary, but if was a good offer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Flint Hills? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flint Hills interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by Flint Hills employees and interview candidates.