Florida Department of Children and Families

Updated Feb 19, 2015
Updated Feb 19, 2015

Interviews for Top Jobs at Florida Department of Children and Families

Economic Self Sufficiency Specialist I Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families.

The interview consist of a typing test in which you must get 35 wpm and a math test! After the typing and the math test is passed, a interview is conducted. The interview questions are straightforward and easy. Be prepared to be there for a hour and more.

ESSS-! Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families.

interview was simple you take a test if you do well you will called in for an interview,where you will be asked a few questions such as have you ever been in a situation where you had to show initiative, have you ever had a problem at work with a co-worker and how did you handle it I'm not sure if I have an offer I'm still awaiting my background check its taking an awfully long time interviewers were pretty nice

ESS1 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Ocala, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in January 2015.

They bring you into classroom and hand out job description and give you one pencil. They were very nice and friendly. They talked about position and honestly answered questions about salary and the fact there are no scheduled salary increases nor reviews (Legislature has approved 2 increases in 7 years, new people hired at base rate. There can be one shot bonus lightening award if meet contract bonus and legislature approves). They explained there is a broad band salary range..but that only means this job falls within that range. AT THIS POINT ONE CANDIDATE WALKED OUT. Jacksonville Florida has database with salaries online. I saw where some in ESS1 had a higher base salary, and there were two levels. They also said I think absolutely NO time off the first year. Even though you accrue 4 hours sick and four hours vacation...they are so far behind they try to get you (I mean they encourage you and allow you to make up time for any doctor appointment). In this pool there were 24 applicants they were hiring ten and expected two to quit. Ok, so a half hour has passed and they hand out calculators or allow you to use your phone. There is a half hour math test. There are some word problems and reading a chart, comprehension. You have a piece of scratch paper that they do NOT collect. Some people did not complete the test. IF you pass the test, then there is a typing test. You are given two chances. It is alphabet typing only, so practice online. At least one person failed the math test and one failed the typing test. Now we are down to 21 applicants...and one is pregnant and due in 4 months. They are hiring ten. Then they pull you into a panel interview with a couple supervisors who are the ones hiring for their departments. They ask behavioral based interview questions. I made the mistake of asking how easy it would be to get time off and they were nonplussed. (Like if you have to buy airline tickets and want to get cheapest rates). They explained they allow you to make up doctors appointments but they decided no time off in the first year PERIOD...and time off after that is maximum one week. The one supervisor said they only have four employees in the department and only one person could be off at a time. She did it whomever asked first. They explained you work chained to the desk...with two monitors. Are allowed a fifteen minute break. There is an hour for lunch but on Fridays if you want to take off a half hour early you can get permission to take a half hour lunch. Bottom line: They were much friendlier than I anticipated. I would have been glad to learn the job, telecommute where I could meet their heavy schedule and work longer as needed. I was not offered the chance...they just changed my status to inactive. NEVER COMMUNICATED WITH ME. I have never ever missed a day of work in my life. I did a lot of research and read inspector general reports. I believe the agency DOUBLED the amount of work and the workforce was 3000 and they increased it by only 200. The work doubled because twice as many applied for benefits as forecasted. I think they need a second pool of INDEPENDENT candidates who can telecommute...and ease up on typing test. The man that missed the typing test had run his own business for years. Or maybe a PRN pool to raise the numbers. A pool of folks who can do the job but be able to take time off. IT takes two months to train folks.....and they expect to lose 10% in the training. They say you can telecommute...and it is a privilege and I understand that...but in reality...it is a likely a pipe dream. They did explain this is a very fast paced position where you WILL be chained to your desk. There are applications that have to be approved in 48 hours dropped into your current case load. EXTREMELY stressful position. There are major contract bonuses attached to processing applications timely. They were friendly. Looked like the chairs and computer equipment were new. Interview took 2 hours. It was good practice.

Interview Questions
    • "Name a time your work was criticized by your supervisor and how did you react."   View Answer

Ess I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florida City, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florida City, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in December 2014.

First there is a test, it was simple but you have to make sure u pay attention!. Then there's the interview a couple days later and then next thing I knew, I was getting fingerprinted! In a matter of 3weeks

Interview Questions
    • Two people interviewed me. Questions were like, name a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    None

Child Protective Investigator Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families.

There was a panel interview and then a computer test. The computer test was basically testing what you would do as an investigator in some scenarios. The panel interview was pretty standard and asked about relevant experience and how you stay organized. Some of the questions were very lengthy.

Interview Questions
    • The hotline receives a call from a neighbor who says that he heard a child scream in the house next door. You arrive. Father is clearly intoxicated, cursing at you, belligerent, and says you cannot come in. What do you do?   Answer Question
    Salary is set. No negotiation. This is a government job and everyone gets paid the same - if you've been there one month or 20 years.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in April 2014.

The whole process took about 6 weeks. First you have to take a test. The test consists of all math questions. You have to pay attention to the questions, thats where the reading comprehension and analysis comes into play. In my opinion, the test was pretty easy. I didn't get to complete one question and I still passed. You have 30 minutes to take the test. If you pass the test, then you get an interview. The interview was pretty easy. "What makes you succeed?' "How do you handle irate customers?" Those are some of the types of questions that they will ask. You will also be filling paperwork as well. After interview, they will look over all interviews to pick top applicants. If you are one the top applicants you will be asked to do a fingerprint. Please do not lie on the application. they will be able to tell. If you pass, then more paperwork to be filled and faxed or scanned then emailed to them. The job offer. After the interview everything else is easy, just a slow process. I believe that if you pass the interview and have a clean background, or your offense does not disqualify you, then you basically have the job.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in April 2014.

Taking a preliminary reading comprehension/math test. Mostly reading comprehension. Passed the test and then was invited for an interview. Was then offered a job and references were then verified. A background check and fingerprints were done. I applied in March 2014 and began training on June 20. Training last 6 weeks and three test must be completed.

no negotiation

Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in September 2013.

The hiring process took time which should be expected since it is the state. I had my 1st interview with 2 people. A week later I got the call to come back for a 2nd interview. Directly after that interview I had to type a paragraph explaining why I should be hired for the position. Then they sent me to get fingerprinted....2 weeks later I got a e-mail offering me the job. So it was a month long process.

There wasn't one.

Operations Review Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in April 2013.

Met with 2 managers - they were nice. Interview consisted of 20 standard questions followed by 2 "skills assessments" on the computer. One skill assessment was 10 questions about the Medicaid/APD waiver programs OR about Food stamps benefits (specific questions, knowledge based) and the other assessment was "here's a fact pattern, write a final order." No research was supposed to be done for either skill assessment - it was based on what you already know. 1 hour to complete both. Position requires some travel and a yearly financial disclosure.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle conflict with a coworker?   Answer Question
    • How do you rate your writing style?   Answer Question
    • In previous positions, what were your performance reviews like and what are things you can improve on?   Answer Question

Esss1 Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Florida Department of Children and Families in April 2012.

3 panel interview, 6 questions, what to do in dif situations.