Florida Department of Transportation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Florida Department of Transportation

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oviedo, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oviedo, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in October 2009.

3 panel interview. Asked for examples of how I used computer programs, what I knew about the Department of Transportation, and if I would be okay working around prisoners. The interview lasted over an hour. I received a personal call back stating that they would like me to work for them but that they found someone with previous office experience for the position so they were going with the other candidate at that time.

Interview Questions
    • Give a specific example of how you compiled data in Excel for a previous job.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in February 2009.

The interview was fairly straight forward. They went through each responsibility within my job description. They asked me how much experience I had on each responsibility. Before providing my resume, I had called my potential supervisor and talked to her. She was receptive which provided me the first clue that this will be positive.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you believe that you are the right person for the job?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deland, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Deland, FL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in August 2008.

After the candidate submits the online application, someone from the specific department will call you to schedule a follow-up interview, or you will receive an email stating that you did not get the position. After the interview, it can take a while for management to make the hiring decision so it's just a waiting game unless they are short-staffed and need to train someone ASAP. Many times, candidates that have some -any- connection to a current employee is chosen just for that reason. Make sure to mention anyone that you might possibly know that works there. Most interviews are panel interviews so brush up on your panel skills (smile/talk to each person, etc). Many government managers have sensitive egos so be sure you speak to each panel member. Most people are very kind and forgive small gaffes. They are likely just as nervous as you since the interviewers are not hiring managers just engineers that got stuck interviewing candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Describe characteristics of the roadway you used to travel here.   View Answer
    Since the budget has been cut for state agencies, most are hiring at base salary (the low number listed on the position posting). For the most part they hire you and then ask if your salary is "ok" while you're signing the paperwork. There is not much "negotiation" between the interview and hiring timeline.