Florida Department of Transportation

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Deland, FL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in August 2008.

Interview Details – After the candidate submits the online application, someone from the specific department will call you to schedule a follow-up interview, or you will receive an email stating that you did not get the position. After the interview, it can take a while for management to make the hiring decision so it's just a waiting game unless they are short-staffed and need to train someone ASAP. Many times, candidates that have some -any- connection to a current employee is chosen just for that reason. Make sure to mention anyone that you might possibly know that works there. Most interviews are panel interviews so brush up on your panel skills (smile/talk to each person, etc). Many government managers have sensitive egos so be sure you speak to each panel member. Most people are very kind and forgive small gaffes. They are likely just as nervous as you since the interviewers are not hiring managers just engineers that got stuck interviewing candidates.

Interview Question – Describe characteristics of the roadway you used to travel here.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since the budget has been cut for state agencies, most are hiring at base salary (the low number listed on the position posting). For the most part they hire you and then ask if your salary is "ok" while you're signing the paperwork. There is not much "negotiation" between the interview and hiring timeline.

Office Assistant Interview

Oviedo, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in October 2009.

Interview Details – 3 panel interview. Asked for examples of how I used computer programs, what I knew about the Department of Transportation, and if I would be okay working around prisoners. The interview lasted over an hour. I received a personal call back stating that they would like me to work for them but that they found someone with previous office experience for the position so they were going with the other candidate at that time.

Interview Question – Give a specific example of how you compiled data in Excel for a previous job.   View Answer

Engineering Interview

Tallahassee, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Florida Department of Transportation in February 2009.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly straight forward. They went through each responsibility within my job description. They asked me how much experience I had on each responsibility. Before providing my resume, I had called my potential supervisor and talked to her. She was receptive which provided me the first clue that this will be positive.

Interview Question – Why do you believe that you are the right person for the job?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Florida Department of Transportation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Florida Department of Transportation interview questions and advice. All 3 interview reviews posted anonymously by Florida Department of Transportation employees and interview candidates.