Florida Virtual School Interview Questions in Florida

Updated Apr 27, 2015

2.5

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Phone interview, then large group interview at the headquarters, then an online, panel interview.
    I was just honest with the people. I have taught, successfully, for nearly twenty years. I am a very competent teacher who has always had very good reviews from my principals. I felt that this process was very inefficient and frustrating. The entire process took 22 months. More than a year after the initial phone and large group interview, during which time I did not hear a word from them, they called me and asked if I would be interested in an online interview two months in the future. After the two month wait and then the interview, I waited another five weeks to hear back from them. They did not select me, which is fine, but it just seemed like a very long process, and I was disappointed in what I felt was a lack of professionalism for making a potential employee wait so long for news.

Interview Questions

• Basic: experience, how would you use technology, how have you helped students, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL).

Interview

I applied over 8 months ago, I had a phone pre screening, then was asked to come to an in person interview with other candidates. Then, about 1 month ago they called and wanted to set up a direct phone interview. I was then offered the job and sent to a two day training. They will ask questions based off of your resume and be ready to provide examples of your work and scenarios.

Interview Questions

• How would you see yourself collaborating with other teachers at Florida Virtual School?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It is a set salary with stipend.

Math Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Applied online for general Instructor position, Phone Interview (15 mins) with general teaching questions, Virtual Informational Session (1 hr), Group Interview (9:30-4:00) worked with other teachers on different FLVS work at home scenerios and general info session, one on one virtual interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in September 2013.

Interview

The first real interview, after the online application and two psychological tests, was conducted by telephone and lasted forty five minutes. After the phone interview, the interviewer told me that he would recommend that I continue in the application process. Three weeks later I received a phone call and I scheduled an internet based learning session and the "Round 2" interview in Orlando.

The Round 2 interview is a group workshop in Orlando at their corporate headquarters. It's not really an interview. You meet there with many other applicants and listen to a few speeches by human resources personnel who tell you about the company and what to expect while working there. You are also required to engage in a competitive Lego building game during which time you are constantly observed by three human resources people who are taking notes.

At the end of the day the human resources person who gave the presentation promised that we would all receive an email, in exactly ten days. that would tell us whether we would continue along in the hiring process. It's been fifteen days, as of now, and I still haven't seen an email.

I would suggest that any new job applicant carefully read all of the online reviews written by long time and new employees at FLVS to learn about the job they are actually applying for. During the Round 2 they made it very clear, that as an instructor, you are expected to work between sixty and eighty hours a week, including weekends. If you do the math and divide your salary by the number of hours you are working, you will see that you will only be making ten dollars an hour. Furthermore, the management seems out of touch and the employee turnover is very high. For example, of all the people I met during the Round 2, who were actually employees at FLVS, none of them had been employees for more than six months. This is a big red flag for me.

In addition, I am disappointed that I didn't receive an email from them, as they explicitly promised to send, in ten days. I took an unpaid day off work to drive four hours to Orlando, at four o'clock in the morning, to spend a day being interviewed and observed at their company without being paid for my time. As a result, I don't think it is out of order to expect a follow up phone call to let me know that either I got the job or that they decided to hire another candidate. This is entirely unprofessional and it seems to be highly indicative, from what I have ascertained by reading other reviews, of the FLVS corporate culture, especially their attitude towards employees.

My advice to jobseekers is to completely avoid this company. They have a great sales pitch but the reality will be much different when you walk through the door. Good luck.

Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL).

Interview

First screening is how fast and how prompt your response would be to a dilemma with a parent in an email. They are looking for people who are caring, flexible, and customer service oriented. Errors in basic grammar and sentence structure would eliminate a person as well. Once that is accomplished and a person were to go to a face to face interview - they want positive people first and foremost - because success within the organization is contingent upon that. If you have children, especially young children, you are at a disadvantage over someone with a quiet and controlled household - because you work out of a home office. Students and parents can contact you anytime from 8 am till 8 pm all week long, even weekends.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had a conflict with another co-worker? Describe what it was and how you responded.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Take it or leave it. You cannot negotiate with this company - don't even ask.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in May 2013.

Interview

They make you jump through hoops. It is a several step process at the end of which you ultimately get out into a candidate pool. It is essentially an endless waitlist. There is no one you can contact to get an update.In fact, they tell you not to call because they won't be able to give you an answer.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Three phone interviews, one "group" interview and testing session, and many phone calls later (made from me to them), and I finally got rejected via a form email. (Thank you so much for the time you took into letting me know how much time I've wasted!!!) I've applied six different times and have over fifteen years exp. Guess that's not good enough for these people. From the reviews, maybe this is a blessing! The group session was a joke! The tests were very easy. One was computer literacy, and the other was a writing "test" about why you want to work for FLVS. I truly am disappointed that I didn't get hired by this company with all of my qualifications, online experience, and creativity. I think you really have to have an "in" to get hired. When I received an email (about which positions I wanted, when I could start working, would I do adjunct or part-time instead of full-time) following the group session (which the interviewers told us not very many people would even receive), I was amped because I thought that I had made it this time. When I didn't hear back from them in three weeks, I called to inquire what the status was. I was told that I had been placed in the "candidate pipeline" because their enrollment numbers were too low to hire anyone at present. So, if they weren't hiring, why did they waste my time commuting to Orlando, sitting through an 8-hour "hiring" session, etc.? This is very confusing and irritating.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview was the only time I answered questions, which were not difficult at all. Sample questions: Give an example of a time where you had trouble with a student's parent. What did you do to resolve the issue? Another: Think of how you will incorporate technology into the online realm?   Answer Question

English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

The hiring process is long and involved. If they select your resume, you go through a phone interview, then wait...and wait...if you make it past that then you have an in person interview, and then wait some more. No set length of time between steps.

Math Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

I am really surprised. Six months after phone interview, long after giving up hope of getting a call, I got invited to the face to face interview. I am headed to Orlando Jan 19th.

Interview Questions

• I have been told I will take a subject matter test for Geometry.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I have not gotten a job offer yet, just an offer for the interview. There is a pre-interview phone con to get to know the expectations of the company. I am pretty intimidated by the amount of negative feedback left on this website. Would love to have a regular paycheck, though, so hoping for adjunct position.

Spanish Instructor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Virtual School (Orlando, FL) in December 2012.

Interview

I am a Highly Qualified and Certified Florida Educator with 13 years experience. I have applied to FLVS to become an Online Instructor for the past 3 years. Knowing their need for teachers, I do not understand why, after two F2F interviews, and 5 phone interviews, I got accepted into their Pipline, or Hiring Pool of Ready-To-Hire candidates, and then got taken out of it, and not offered a job.

Interview Questions

• In answering all questions posed to me, I kept the student and the student's needs, front and center, and of the utmost importance. I do not understand why they do not want me to teach for them.   3 Answers