Florida Virtual School Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014
44 interviews

2.3

FLVS Instructor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 8 months - interviewed at Florida Virtual School in October 2013.

Recieved two calls from HR for phone interviews. They both requested I go to Orlando for 4-square group interview. I went. They said everyone there was now in the instructor canddate pool. It was Oct of 2013- almost a year ago. This is a waste of time, if they want to hire you they will send an offer- the candidate pool is just a joke, on the interviewee. Wasted time driving 3 hours for a group interview- inconsiderate corporate practice for candidates they put in to a "wait list". It is a preview of how you will be treated if hired.

Interview Questions
    • Explain how you would keep individual students motivated.   Answer Question

FLVS Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

I applied over 8 months ago, I had a phone pre screening, then was asked to come to an in person interview with other candidates. Then, about 1 month ago they called and wanted to set up a direct phone interview. I was then offered the job and sent to a two day training. They will ask questions based off of your resume and be ready to provide examples of your work and scenarios.

Interview Questions
    • How would you see yourself collaborating with other teachers at Florida Virtual School?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. It is a set salary with stipend.

Teacher Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 9 months - interviewed at Florida Virtual School in January 2013.

2 phone interviews, a group interview and one face-to-face. The phone interview was with one HR person, the group seemed to be where they tried to scare us of the work load, the last face-to-face is where the job was offered.

None

Instructor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Interview Steps:
    1. Applied online. Within a few minutes of applying, I had an email from FVS asking me to take an online personality quiz. The questions were really easy and it they asked how you would react in a situation.
    2. About 45 days later I received a call to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview took place a week later. It lasted about 30 minutes and the interviewer was very nice/professional and asked questions about how you would or have handle situations in the classroom. At the end of the call he said that he would recommend that I move to the next round, which is the R squared session at their office in Orlando on Metrocenter Blvd.
    Step 2.5: In between my phone interview and my R squared session, I was asked to provide a copy of my teaching certificate, along with 2 recommendation letters from current/former supervisors.
    3. Attended the R squared session (about 2 weeks after the phone interview) and I had a great time. The morning consisted of introductions, excel project (make sure you know how to paste data into excel, as well as sort it and color/shade the cells), Lego "team building" exercise, and writing assignment. There were about 40 people in my session of all ages, races and taught many different types of subjects. They let you take about an hour lunch and then you reconvene for the afternoon where current employees of FVS speak to you and tell you more about being an instructor and what is expected of you. They also opened the floor up for questions and allowed our group to ask anything that we had questions about.

After the session is over you will receive an email letting you know if you have been placed into the potential instructor pool or if they do not think you would be a good fit. If you are accepted into the pool, they said it could be a few months, or up to a year before you are selected for a final interview and an open position. Open positions are based on enrollment and they only hire an instructor if they have enough students to fill a class.

Interview Questions
    No, the salary levels are set and there is no room for negotiation.

Math Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Applied online for general Instructor position, Phone Interview (15 mins) with general teaching questions, Virtual Informational Session (1 hr), Group Interview (9:30-4:00) worked with other teachers on different FLVS work at home scenerios and general info session, one on one virtual interview

FLVS Teacher Interview

After taking two Internet surveys about my feelings about education, students, etc, I was called to set up a phone interview. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and I was asked several standard teacher interview questions. At the end of the call, I was told that I was recommended to move to the next step which will be various Webinars and a panel interview on Skype since I live outside of Florida.

Interview Questions
    • What one word is the most important attribute of a teacher?   View Answer

Finance Department Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Telephone interview with the HR staffing specialist, then a panel interview with the hiring manager and others.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions were behavioral interview questions and few about past experiences.   Answer Question

FLVS Teacher Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Standard questions on classroom management, grading, and teaching philosophy.

No negotiation option.

Social Science Instructor Interview

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Surveys, phone interviews and face-to-face interviews. Questions focus on specific situations and they want you draw from personal experience. The face-to-face interview is all day. Be prepared to write an email and do a computer skills assessment. After the assessment several principals provide the bulk of the information. Their main goal is to paint a clear picture of what it is like to work for FLVS.

Interview Questions
    • Only difficult aspect is the waiting to hear back from FLVS. Be patient! I only say it is difficult because of the many interview steps. But each step is necessary in order to find committed employees.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Math Instructor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online - interviewed at Florida Virtual School in January 2013.

I am really surprised. Six months after phone interview, long after giving up hope of getting a call, I got invited to the face to face interview. I am headed to Orlando Jan 19th.

Interview Questions
    • I have been told I will take a subject matter test for Geometry.   Answer Question
    I have not gotten a job offer yet, just an offer for the interview. There is a pre-interview phone con to get to know the expectations of the company. I am pretty intimidated by the amount of negative feedback left on this website. Would love to have a regular paycheck, though, so hoping for adjunct position.

Worked for Florida Virtual School? Contribute to the Community!