Florida Virtual School Teacher Interview Questions

Updated Feb 8, 2015
Updated Feb 8, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a year or moreinterviewed at Florida Virtual School.

Phone interview, then large group interview at the headquarters, then an online, panel interview.
I was just honest with the people. I have taught, successfully, for nearly twenty years. I am a very competent teacher who has always had very good reviews from my principals. I felt that this process was very inefficient and frustrating. The entire process took 22 months. More than a year after the initial phone and large group interview, during which time I did not hear a word from them, they called me and asked if I would be interested in an online interview two months in the future. After the two month wait and then the interview, I waited another five weeks to hear back from them. They did not select me, which is fine, but it just seemed like a very long process, and I was disappointed in what I felt was a lack of professionalism for making a potential employee wait so long for news.

Interview Questions
  • Basic: experience, how would you use technology, how have you helped students, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Florida Virtual School

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School in June 2013.

I applied online, I do not have teaching experience so I called the HR Dept. to find out what suggestions they had to make me a better applicant. All they said was we are hiring teachers without experience so apply. Thanks! Ok so, that was not helpful, but about two weeks later I got an email asking me to take a test. The test was to find out your teaching style. I was then offered a phone interview a couple days later. It was short and sweet, I don't think they really care to be talking to you. I was told I would hear from them in about 48 hours. I checked on their website later that day and saw I was already rejected.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was to tell them about a recent review meeting from a prior employer and what the employer said. I found that to be an odd question.   Answer Question
    • It was not difficult or unexpected but they did ask me to define student centered teaching in my own words- be ready for questions like that.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Virtual School.

The process has changed dramatically from when I was hired but first there was a phone interview. Second I had to attend an 8 hour "interview day". The first 4 hours were information about FLVS. The last part of the day was a short basic skills test on the computer, meetings with current ILs (principals) and then a one on one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time when you went above and beyond for a student.   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

I applied online. The process took 9+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Virtual School in January 2013.

2 phone interviews, a group interview and one face-to-face. The phone interview was with one HR person, the group seemed to be where they tried to scare us of the work load, the last face-to-face is where the job was offered.

None

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Florida Virtual School in December 2012.

I applied online and had a phone interview scheduled a couple of weeks later. I was called at the arranged time and given a 30-minute interview by an HR employee who seemed rather rushed. I believe this is because I was the last interview of many that morning (I had been given the option of eight different time slots, and had to take the final one). He explained the basics of the job, which included essentially coaching students one-on-one as they work through the set curriculum. He also explained that FLVS mostly hires in-state teachers due to state funding regulations, so they could only hire out-of-state teachers in high-needs areas (I was interviewing for a French teacher position). He then asked me a series of typical teacher questions, such as:

• Why do you want to work for FLVS?
    • What classes have you taught?
    Describe:
    • a student who went from having difficulty to succeeding
    • a situation in which you had a difficult parent and you “won them over.”
    • a situation in which you disagreed with a group decision & what you did
    • a situation in which you received negative feedback & how you felt
    • how you would integrate a student with significant differences into the classroom
    • How do you balance priorities?

At the end of the interview I had a chance to ask questions, so I asked a bunch of questions to clarify the exact job responsibilities and chance for advancement from part-time to full-time. He told me I would be contacted in 7-10 days with an opportunity for a 2-hour Skype orientation and longer interview. I was not.

Interview Questions
    • How you would integrate a student with significant differences into the classroom?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School in November 2012.

Phone interview first then a month later I was passed on to go to Orlando for a two day information seminar. After this I called to say that I was interested in a job and was offered a position. At the seminar I had to submit a computer skills exam and a writing sample.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a specific time you had a conflict with a parent or student.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Florida Virtual School in June 2009.

After filling out an on-line application, was called for an initial phone interview, then a face to face interview with canned questions in a round robin format. Easy to prepare for, but a hassle if you live far from Orlando. The face to face interview was with a group of people and one person on the phone. It was different talking to the phone, but overall everybody was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • List a time when you had a conflict with a fellow employee and explain how you resolved the situation... or something to that effect.   View Answer
    • Really just very generic questions... why do you want to work for FLVS, list a time when you had to deal with pressing priorities and how you dealt with that, respond to a comment about treating all students fairly means treating all students equally.   View Answer
    There is no negotiating... period. You get the starting pay or you don't take the job.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando (South Africa)
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando (South Africa)

I applied online. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Florida Virtual School in April 2013.

I was contacted by email 10 months after applying on line. I was instructed to take a timed on line personality test and view an online video about the school. Make sure you set aside a half hour in a private uninterrupted setting for the timed test. The next day a recruiter called to schedule a phone interview. The Flvs representative did not call at the scheduled date and time for the phone interview so I sent them an email to remind them. A representative called, apologized and set another interview for 2 weeks later. The phone interviewer was pleasant and asked why I wanted to work for FLVs, how I prioritize my time, a time that I disagreed with a group decision and how I handled it, a time when I turned an unsuccessful student around. After the interview she said she was recommending me to go forward. I was called 2 days later and scheduled for a mandatory on line evening session. It was 2 hours long and there is no need for you to make any preparation. Don't worry, you're not on videocam or speaker during the session. It is a one way information session. You do need to make sure that you are online and registered during the session and you do have the chance to send written instant messages to the presenters if you want.
    Next is the interview at the FLVS headquarters. It's not a one on one; everything is group. There were 4 presenter/ interviewers in the room. All candidates were herded into a room with laptops and we were instructed to write our names on seatside whiteboards so that presenters could easily identify us. We each had to get up in front of the group, introduce ourselves and tell of an experience with students that impacted us. We had a 1 minute time limit. The FLVS interviewers took notes during this and all other exercises. We were not told what we were being judged on. Next was a test of technical abilities. Do not come to this interview without knowing Excel. No instruction is given you. The tasks are written on a piece of paper and you must accomplish them. You must copy columns of info from a document, paste it into an Excel spreadsheet,sort it in several ways and highlight assigned tasks. This is timed as is the next task, writing a letter about how you will prepare to work for FLVS. You then attach the letter to an email and send it to a given address. After lunch, there were 2 more group exercises. One was building a figure with Legos and the other was answering problem scenarios. All group work. No one was interviewed one on one during this all day event. It is a very subjective process. No questions or tasks addressed content competence, delivery of instruction, lesson design, assessment design or any other methodology.

Teacher Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Florida Virtual School.

I am a high qualified teacher.. they ALWAYS need teachers.. I mean, at this point I am convinced that the hiring process is just a formality to fill out the systematic opening generated by teachers' drops.

Interview Questions
    • Very challenging in terms of respect and consideration. Teachers have to graduate kids no matter what in order to get money form Department of Education... so, what students and guardians do is not really important.. the important thing is customer service.. the client is always right!   Answer Question

After a couple of years, I do not want to teach any more.