Fog Creek Software

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Fog Creek Software.

Interview Details – Applied through their website. Fun questions. Two phone screens then onsite.

Software Engineering Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Fog Creek Software.

Interview Details – Emailed them my resume and cover letter, a robot responded asking for some additional information which I provided and was contacted some time afterward (forget exact time frame).

I went through 2 or 3 phone screens, each one following the typical format of experience, coding question, then my turn for questions. Each interviewer was fun to talk to and the process was smooth. Their follow up time was quick (1-2 days after each interview) but not the quickest.

I was flown out to New York and put up in a fairly nice hotel for the on site interviews (try the fish and chips from the in-hotel restaurant!). They went alright and covered things you'd expect (cs questions involving graphs and such). I had a serious problem with jet lag and adjusting however, I also messed myself up by agreeing to come up the day after my last final. The day of the interviews my body was about as angry at me as it could be, and I was absolutely not performing at my best. Here is what I absorbed from my visit though:

* That office is swanky. It's so incredibly nice I was actually a little put off by it. There is a guard and greeter at the bottom floor who printed out a name tag for me, and you have to be buzzed in to get into the office. The couch in the front area is insanely expensive and artsy. I wouldn't take anyone to visit the workplace because I'd be embarrassed. Over-the-top in my opinion.
 * The people there are very nice and laid back, definitely all people I could imagine hanging out with after work and playing video games with. They all seemed very intelligent as well. You will definitely be among great people if you work there.
 * Their whiteboards are tiny. Not even close to big enough. Sure they're extra nice because they're made of glass but I would definitely prefer size and functionality over the prettiness factor there.
 * Their food is incredibly delicious, and they have a ton of snacks. Didn't get to try their coffee but I bet its amazing because the machine was apparently bought from some fancy coffeeshop that went under.
 * They did not seem very familiar with C++. That could have been a trick to get me to explain C++ concepts to test me but I think that most of them are much more familiar with C.
 * A lot of their work is done with Windows. If you come from a Unix world like me this can be a little off putting.
 * Gorgeous view from the office. I could stand and look out that window for hours, and I'm betting many of them do when thinking about particularly challenging problems.
 * Center of wall street, prepare to be hassled a lot in front of the entrance by tons of solicitors.
 * New York is a very different time zone from the west coast, did you know? If you're going for an onsite interview, prepare yourself for the incredible jet lag if you're coming from far away. Try to convince them to let you stay more than one night to get acclimated. I know it would have helped me immensely. I was a total mess internally for the interviews.
 * I did not get anywhere near the feeling of passion I get when talking to engineers from other companies. Ask each of your interviewers why they chose to work for Fog Creek, I did not get a lot of motivating answers to that question unfortunately, most of them could be summed up by "well I applied and they took me".
 * A sign hung on the wall that said "no fun allowed" would not be out of place. The atmosphere felt very much like a corporate office (albeit a totally decked out and beautiful one). Lively is not a word I'd use to describe the office environment. This could have been a quiet day though (it was a Friday).

Interview Question – Typical questions like the ones presented in Cracking the Coding Interview. Know that they're very creative and organized though, so don't plan on getting a question you've heard anywhere else before (which is perfect imo). If I wrote an exact question down here you can be assured they wouldn't ask that question again. They will almost certainly test you on your ability to use pointers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in December 2013.

Interview Details – I found their careers web page and contacted them through the email address provided. Initially I sent a short stock cover letter with my resume in PDF but I was immediately rejected and told to re-apply with a more a creative cover letter (I was told to experiment with form) and resume file format. I now realize that had I sent a poem (I chose haiku, but I'm sure they would've accepted anything creative) and a Markdown/PostScript resume to begin with (which is what I sent the second time) I wouldn't have embarrassed myself. That'll teach me to read between the lines of a job posting at a no-nonsense company like Fog Creek!

A man named Lucas contacted me immediately the second time and scheduled a code screen. The first code screen was difficult, mostly because I only had a cursory understanding of physics/chemistry, which is apparently a topic they expect a high-school level understanding of. (They seem to really stress a well-rounded liberal-education-type candidate! I was surprised, but fortunately I had taken junior-level STEM classes prior to switching to computer science.)

I was pleasantly shocked to receive an invite for a second code screen, which was more traditional computer science. However, this one I definitely bombed. It was a question about the Paxos consensus algorithm. I had, of course, studied and memorized basic Paxos prior to the interview question but I didn't realize that we'd also be implementing Multi-Paxos' start and steady-state message flows. Needless to say, I wasn't invited to interview in person.

All in all, it was an enlightening experience. Clearly Fog Creek's interview process is no walk in the park -- should've studied more and paid better attention!

Interview Question – How would you explain titration to a five-year old? (More of a getting-to-know-you question to test your communication abilities.)

Describe, then implement, the extra message (Verify) required to extend Paxos to Byzantine failures using the "Actor" model in your language of choice.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got an email the next day to schedule a phone interview. Got rejected after the second round of phone interviews.

Interview Question – Write strtok()
Write a reverse polish calculator.

Software Engineer Intern At Fog Creek Interview

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in December 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email asking me to fill out some information including my GPA and SAT which I found a bit strange.

Interview Question – Given a Node with a reference to a child, its next, its previous, and a variable for its value (1/2 tree, 1/2 doubly linked list structure), you have to find a way to flatten the structure. IE, create a doubly linked list but maintain the references to the children.

1 = 2 = 3 = 5
       | |
      6 = 7 8

(reference down is child and reference across is next)

this above diagram becomes:

1 - 2 - 6 - 7- 9 - 3 - 5 - 8

but 2 still has child reference to 6
       7 still has child reference to 9
       5 still has child reference to 8

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in October 2012.

Interview Details – Sent my resume and cover letter to the email listed on their site. Got back a robot response asking for my GPA/SAT scores and some other things. 4-5 days later, got an email to set up a phone interview. The interviewer was friendly, and identified himself as a former intern at Fog Creek himself. He asked me a few questions about my background/experience, and then we got to a coding question using an online shared editor.

Interview Questions

• Implement a function that takes in two unsigned integers and returns a boolean indicating whether you will have overflow if they are added together. Language of your choice.   View Answer
  • Implement the Java class BigInteger's constructor and add method.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in January 2011.

Interview Details – Fog Creek is a take no prisoners kind of firm with questions that will draw primarily from the data structures and algorithms. Be familiar with C as well as with a mainstream OOP language such as Java/C++. Other than that, the interview questions are fairly standard and of the same variety you can expect from Google or Amazon. Be prepared! My mistake was not reviewing enough of the relevant material. Seems like a great company to work for though with a solid grasp on the concept of best practices (thanks, I'm sure, in large part to the prominence of Joel Spolsky).

Interview Question – Dynamically resizing array-backed bounded queue.   View Answer

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in October 2011.

Interview Details – I e-mailed in my resume with a cover letter explaining why I wanted to work at Fog Creek. An automated response told me they'd connect me. A day later I got an e-mail to schedule an interview with coding. I heard back two days later with rejection.

I was applying because I thought I could reach the level they wanted by the end of the year (I have 2 years experience with coding but only a month with C++) so it surprised me when they said they wanted to interview now, but the questions were easier (I imagine absolute softball questions for anyone with more experience) than I thought they should have been.

Interview Questions

• Which byte occurs most frequently in an array?

Write a function that returns the byte that occurs most frequently in an array of bytes

Parameters:
                    Array of bytes
                    Count of the number of bytes in the array (if you want it)
  • Count the number of times the sequence 'f' 'o' 'g' appears in a char buffer
        The char buffer is null terminated
      View Answer
  • Print out the numbers from 0 to 999. If a number is divisible by 3, print a "!" after it. If a number is divisible by 11, print a "?" after it.
        Each number should be printed only once, and should be on a new line.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Fog Creek Software in November 2009.

Interview Details – I applied via e-mail. I got an automated confirmation immediately which asked me to confirm some basic information (location, GPA, phone number). About three weeks later I got an e-mail about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview happened three days later and took about an hour. It was a one-on-one discussion with a current software developer (and former intern).

I heard back two days later.

Interview Question – Describe a data model to use as the back-end for a simple text editor.   View Answer

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Fog Creek Software.

Interview Details – Phone interview, coding on a shared editor. No introduction or questions about myself, just technical stuff.

Interview Question – Preorder and postorder traversal results of a binary tree, how does the binary tree look like?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Fog Creek Software? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fog Creek Software interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by Fog Creek Software employees and interview candidates.