Follett Higher Education Group

Updated Oct 28, 2014
Updated Oct 28, 2014

2.6

Sales Associate (Temporary) Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in July 2014.

I applied online through the Follett website after seeing a sign in my campus bookstore. Online you can apply to multiple locations at once. I applied to six locations (four of them being in my city and the other two being a further commute).
    The following day I received a phone call for a group interview (one interview for all four of the locations within my city). I also received an email for a group interview for the two locations that are further away, but I decided not to take it.
    I interviewed with the managers of two different Follett campus bookstore locations, along with 4 other candidates. I thought I would be a lot more nervous because it was my first group interview, but I actually preferred it, as it gave me more time to think about my answers and you feel a little less constantly under the spotlight. The interview was very laid back, as we took turns going around the circle answering straightforward and standard questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.
     I was the only one without any retail experience. However, for the temp positions for the start of the semester rush, they really just want people who are friendly and ready to work. One of the managers said that we were the best group they had seen, and if that's the case, I would be surprised if all of us didn't get hired.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult at all. Just be prepared to answer both questions about your experience (a time you gave/ received great customer service? A time you went above an beyond to help a team member?), as well as hypothetical questions (What if a coworker wanted to steal/do something unethical?).   Answer Question

Temporary Employee (Part-Time) Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in July 2014.

Interview took place a week after I submitted my resume and it was a group interview.

Some questions were:
    -What does customer service mean to you?
    -How would you make yourself approachable? On a scale of 1-10, how approachable are you?
    -If a customer asked you to do something unethical, would you do it?

Interview Questions
    • What motivates you? This was the most open-ended question and took longer to answer.   Answer Question
    The job offer was shown online, so there wasn't a negotiation.

Store Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Interview started off as a phone screen with a recruiter. They ask basic questions you would expect for a retail management position: personal background to get you comfortable, detailed questions about your experience, etc... The next interview was with the regional manager. Again, very similar interview except they will try to get to know you more as you will have a possibility of working with them. Last interview was with the potential campus contact. I've had two different versions: the first had a very similar feel where they will give you the same questions everyone else has asked, the second would just be a sit down and get to know one another. It really depends on how much of a hand the school plays in the hiring process, or if they care.

Interview Questions
    • They will probe about potential weaknesses on your resume. Just be ready to address.   Answer Question
    They will LOWBALL you like crazy! Do your research and have reasoning for your counter to theirs. Price of living in the potential area, everything! Have things laid out and even let them know if it will be putting you and your family in a better situation. Be prepared to walk away. I did, and it worked.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hingham, MA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

I filled out a detailed form responding to their specific questions about my experience in various areas. It included salary expectations and previous salary. Over the phone, I interviewed with the hiring manager, then several team members after passing that screen .I was invited to come into the office to interview with an additional 8 people in eng., marketing, product and customer support. I was told it was between me and 1 other candidate. Several weeks later I received a call from HR for an update that no decision was yet made but the salary had been reduced considerably under what I had identified in my original form filled out.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you come into work everyday?   View Answer

Immature manager, acted goofy and made inappropriate comments during interviews; inexperienced team. angry developers who had no SDLC process in place and were being jerked around by Corporate management. Little communication about the "when" of "if" an offer was coming. Then, they lowered the salary after the interviews, knowing that it was considerably less than my expressed salary range.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Interview questions were really generic

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the time you had a disagreement with a manager. How did you handle the situation. What was the outcome   Answer Question
    Unable to negotiate salary

Part Time Temporary Employee Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Received a call within a week from Sarah after submitting my application. I had a group interview with 6-7 candidates. They have a set of questions ready. Everyone answered the first few questions and the rest are optional, whoever wants to answer then answer. I answered half of the question. I also remembered one other person who only answered like a question or two that also got hired. They asked us to step outside so that they can make decision. Call us back in after 5 minutes and everyone was hired. Same thing happened with my friend who had an interview with them a week prior my interview. They said they hire appropriate 100 people for rush week.

Interview Questions
    • Have you every deal with a difficult customer before? How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Seasonal Temp Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Group interview was conducted.

Store Manager Interview

I was a transitioned employee. If your college or university is considering bringing in Follett then start updating your resume immediately and run for the hlls.

Interview Questions
    I was made whole but it was not worth it.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in September 2013.

I was called in for a breif interview. Eva is a great conversationalist and knows what she is looking for in a person during the interview process

Interview Questions
    • If there was a problem with someone and a guest how will you handle that situation best?   Answer Question
    Work here. It is a great place to pick up new skills and meet new people.

Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Applied via net. Called 2 months later for phone, then HR, then VP, then Senior VP interview.

Interview Questions
    • You know this is a woman's job and a man can advance as a designer here.   View Answer
    no negotiations.