Follett Higher Education Group

Updated Apr 8, 2015

2.6

General Merchandise Field Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westchester, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group (Westchester, IL) in February 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview. A week after I was contacted to come in to have a in person interview. It ended up being 3 panel interviews with 3 people in each interview. In the beginning you also go to see the other candidates as well. By the 3rd panel group I was super tired. I really did not see the point have having three panel interviews especial since the people you were interviewing with were not even in the same department. I also thought it was strange that majority of the people that I was interviewing with have been working for the company for a very short time (like 3-6 months, maybe high turnover? idk). Was told after the interview I would hear from the HR recruiter or even if I had a question I should contact her. I sent her an email and never got a response back. I still have not heard back from the company at least they could have told me if they had moved on with someone else. I suggest dressing business professional. Also I really loved the building and the environment, looked like a fun place to work.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What I found great about the interview was since I did have three interview they did not ask me the same questions which I thought was great.   Answer Question

Sales Associate (Temporary) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online through the Follett website after seeing a sign in my campus bookstore. Online you can apply to multiple locations at once. I applied to six locations (four of them being in my city and the other two being a further commute).
    The following day I received a phone call for a group interview (one interview for all four of the locations within my city). I also received an email for a group interview for the two locations that are further away, but I decided not to take it.
    I interviewed with the managers of two different Follett campus bookstore locations, along with 4 other candidates. I thought I would be a lot more nervous because it was my first group interview, but I actually preferred it, as it gave me more time to think about my answers and you feel a little less constantly under the spotlight. The interview was very laid back, as we took turns going around the circle answering straightforward and standard questions. The interview lasted about 45 minutes.
     I was the only one without any retail experience. However, for the temp positions for the start of the semester rush, they really just want people who are friendly and ready to work. One of the managers said that we were the best group they had seen, and if that's the case, I would be surprised if all of us didn't get hired.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult at all. Just be prepared to answer both questions about your experience (a time you gave/ received great customer service? A time you went above an beyond to help a team member?), as well as hypothetical questions (What if a coworker wanted to steal/do something unethical?).   Answer Question

Temporary Employee (Part-Time) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in July 2014.

Interview

Interview took place a week after I submitted my resume and it was a group interview.

Some questions were:
    -What does customer service mean to you?
    -How would you make yourself approachable? On a scale of 1-10, how approachable are you?
    -If a customer asked you to do something unethical, would you do it?

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? This was the most open-ended question and took longer to answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The job offer was shown online, so there wasn't a negotiation.

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Interview

Interview started off as a phone screen with a recruiter. They ask basic questions you would expect for a retail management position: personal background to get you comfortable, detailed questions about your experience, etc... The next interview was with the regional manager. Again, very similar interview except they will try to get to know you more as you will have a possibility of working with them. Last interview was with the potential campus contact. I've had two different versions: the first had a very similar feel where they will give you the same questions everyone else has asked, the second would just be a sit down and get to know one another. It really depends on how much of a hand the school plays in the hiring process, or if they care.

Interview Questions

• They will probe about potential weaknesses on your resume. Just be ready to address.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They will LOWBALL you like crazy! Do your research and have reasoning for your counter to theirs. Price of living in the potential area, everything! Have things laid out and even let them know if it will be putting you and your family in a better situation. Be prepared to walk away. I did, and it worked.

Shipping Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group in May 2014.

Interview

Very informal interview process. There were many applicants that applied so I decided to go in and speak with the manager. They took my contact information down and called a week later for a phone interview. Hired me at the end of the call. Very nice and helpful staff and an informal working environment.

Interview Questions

• What work experience do you have that would be beneficial to this particular job?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hingham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group (Hingham, MA).

Interview

I filled out a detailed form responding to their specific questions about my experience in various areas. It included salary expectations and previous salary. Over the phone, I interviewed with the hiring manager, then several team members after passing that screen .I was invited to come into the office to interview with an additional 8 people in eng., marketing, product and customer support. I was told it was between me and 1 other candidate. Several weeks later I received a call from HR for an update that no decision was yet made but the salary had been reduced considerably under what I had identified in my original form filled out.

Interview Questions

• What makes you come into work everyday?   1 Answer

Immature manager, acted goofy and made inappropriate comments during interviews; inexperienced team. angry developers who had no SDLC process in place and were being jerked around by Corporate management. Little communication about the "when" of "if" an offer was coming. Then, they lowered the salary after the interviews, knowing that it was considerably less than my expressed salary range.

Department Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group (Jackson, MS).

Interview

Interview questions were really generic

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time you had a disagreement with a manager. How did you handle the situation. What was the outcome   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate salary

Part Time Temporary Employee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Interview

Received a call within a week from Sarah after submitting my application. I had a group interview with 6-7 candidates. They have a set of questions ready. Everyone answered the first few questions and the rest are optional, whoever wants to answer then answer. I answered half of the question. I also remembered one other person who only answered like a question or two that also got hired. They asked us to step outside so that they can make decision. Call us back in after 5 minutes and everyone was hired. Same thing happened with my friend who had an interview with them a week prior my interview. They said they hire appropriate 100 people for rush week.

Interview Questions

• Have you every deal with a difficult customer before? How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Seasonal Temp Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Follett Higher Education Group.

Interview

Group interview was conducted.

Store Manager Interview

Interview

I was a transitioned employee. If your college or university is considering bringing in Follett then start updating your resume immediately and run for the hlls.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was made whole but it was not worth it.