Food 4 Less

1 candidate interview Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Food 4 Less in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied in person at Food 4 Less and when I turned in my application, the woman said to call a certain male manager around 6 am. I didn't feel comfortable doing that at first so I waited about 2 weeks and then I called him. He scheduled me for an interview within the hour, and fortunately I wasn't busy and had showered and dressed so I went in. The mgr interviewing me NEVER smiled once and he was not super friendly. He led me to an office area where he asked me questions and stared at me - he reminded me of a police officer and it did not feel like any other interview I've ever been on in my life. Very awkward and odd. He seemed satisfied with my answers to his questions, though. He told me the position paid about ten cents over minimum wage, which really surprised me because in my experience grocery stores usually pay average or above for cashiers, and I have many years of experience in that field (I also have a BA degree but I did NOT expect higher pay for that since it's totally unrelated to this particular job). He told me they do not want cashiers to talk to each other even when the store is not busy. He explained that they do not hire full time cashiers, only part time. Next, he gave me a test with 180 questions and a "scan tron" sheet to fill out. I completed it (about 20 min) and gave it back to him. He said they would be in touch. The next day he called and asked me to come in for a second interview on a Saturday morning, quite early. I went in and he had my results from the personality test. Now keep in mind I've done dozens of similar tests over the years and my results were always great. He tells me I scored very low in customer service and other areas. I was shocked and even doubted this to be true. He went over all of my "wrong" answers and wanted detailed explanation. Some of them were very simple questions of preference but apparently you have to answer a certain way even on those. Again he did not smile or act friendly and seemed to think I was a total waste of his time. I felt totally timid and very uncomfortable which is NOTHING like I normally feel during an interview or in life! I usually win people over quickly and feel comfortable...with this guy, I felt like he hated me! It was strange, and I was taken aback when he went on to offer me the job. I agreed on the spot but quickly changed my mind and let them know.

Interview Question – on a personality test: Have you ever stolen anything in your life even as a child?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – the person who would be my direct supervisor (the interviewer) made me feel totally uncomfortable and the wage was way too low.

Worked for Food 4 Less? Contribute to the Community!