Food Lion

Updated Jan 12, 2015
Updated Jan 12, 2015

1.9

Quality Assurance Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Food Lion.

Submitted application online with an employee's reference and 2 other employees as references. Received a phone call a couple of days later. Went in for an interview the next day, and started that weekend.

Cashier Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Food Lion.

Came in asked questions and was hired next day

Front End Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Food Lion.

I saved part of my application to finish later. A few days after that, I got a call from the then manager asking if I would come in for an interview. I accepted, showed up early on the appointment day, dressed well, of course. When the hiring manager came down, we walked back to her office. We reviewed my application, and I clarified my work experience (very little) and my education history (more extensively, as I have an AA, BA and graduate work experience, though I have no advanced degree). Then she randomly flipped through a stapled pile of papers to ask me standard interview questions. Though my application wasn't complete, I got the job on the spot, and started training and CBTs.

She asked me what pay rate I was thinking of, and I just told her the average for cashiers ($7.48), so I managed .02cents above that, at $7.50, which inadvertently made me the highest paid cashier in the store, so +1 for doing research, I suppose.

Interview Questions
    • Wasn't very difficult, even for someone with little to no interviewing experience. I think the most difficult question was "where do you see yourself in 5 years," only because I couldn't just say "not here!"   View Answer

She also asked me about the hours I'd like to work, and I told her as close to the 28 hour limit as possible, so I routinely get more hours than other cashiers.

My advice would be to be honest about what you want, and why you want it, if you can avoid coming over as desperate. I took this job, because I could not find a job hiring that fit my educational history (and work history incorporated in my schooling), for the time you are there, whether short or longer than you thought, making yourself invaluable to the team. It does help. I did my work, did more, and smiled through it, and when my hiring manager left and a new one came in, she overheard me saying I need to find a second job. She pulled me aside and asked what she had to do to make sure I didn't leave. It makes asking for hours not such a futile task.

In jobs like these, you have less leeway to actually negotiate anything, but there is a little wiggle room if you look closely.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied online – interviewed at Food Lion in January 2014.

i have applied online it took week or two to i get a call back for an interview.
    the process was simple after the interview asked me to come back for paperwork! :) :)
    Good luck to all be confident and excited for the job most important Practice Practice

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Food Lion in January 2014.

Interview process is easy, the hiring manager is nice during the interview but he/she seems to play favorites in the end. I went in for an interview in Jan. it took them 3 weeks to get me on the schedule for training it seemed that they didn't have enough hours to go around. After finally being able to train which was suppose to be 20 hours of training, I only got about 5 hours all together. Other then that the hiring process is easy, all you have to do is fill out an online application and hope they call you in for an interview.

Interview Questions
    The pay was negotiated from $7.25 up to $7.75 per hour, I would have liked to have seen at least $8.00 per hour with my qualifications but that wasn't the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkton, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elkton, MD

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Food Lion in January 2014.

I applied online, as that is the only way to do so. They always keep the store at max staff, so it is very hard to get in. However, someone quits every few days, so you just need to call in on the right day and they will ask you to come in for an interview. It is decided that you will get hired before you even get to the store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dalton, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dalton, GA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Food Lion.

Submit an application online, if you get called there's a meeting with Store manager and assistant manager

Interview Questions
    really none they said I can pay you this take it or leave it

Cashier/Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Food Lion.

Interview process was fairly quick. I had submitted a resume and my interviewer already knew from it my work ethic.

Interview Questions
    The salary was better than I thought it would be. I didn't negotiate it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ormond Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ormond Beach, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Food Lion.

One on one interview with customer service manager.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing. Very easy standard questions. Mainly behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Cashier/Office Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Food Lion.

Basically was hired at my interview, was just told what front end associates do, cleaning list, customer service.