Food Lion Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

1.9

PT Grocery Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Food Lion.

Interview

The interview was very easy. I was asked how dependable I was on a scale of one to five. I went over previous job experience, what I liked about them, what I disliked, and why I left. I was asked about my availability and if I was open to work weekends.

Front End Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Food Lion.

Interview

I had been applying online for a few weeks, at different stores, and for several different positions. I had just finished filling out an application online and received a phone call about coming in for an interview. I went in for the interview and was interviewed by the assistant store manager and the customer service manager. They both were very nice and easy to talk to. I did not feel nervous at all with them. I was asked about my education and past job experiences. I was also asked to explain any gaps in employment. The questions were very straight forward. I was asked to tell about myself and what I like to do in my spare time, where I see myself in 5 years, if I felt like I could make Food Lion a career, tell about a time when I went above and beyond to make the customer happy, tell about a time that I handled a difficult/irate customer. No interview question was out of the ordinary. I was told that I would train on the cash register for about 4 weeks and then be moved into the office (I've been there for a while now and I am still a cashier), I was also told that I would be guaranteed 30 hours a week (I've never worked anymore than 13 - 18 hours a week with about 15 being the average)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

On my online application I put down that the minimum I would work for was $8.00. When I received the phone call offering me the job I was told that I was going to make $8.00, but when I went in to fill out my new hire forms I was given a base pay of $8.25.

Any Retail Position Interview

Interview

Application online. Food Lion holds positions open online for at least 10 days after posting. Interview is scheduled usually within a week or so after the initial 10 day online posting period. Additional interviews may be required if they are narrowing down the applicants.

Interview Questions

• Varies from developmental and behavioral questions to religious questions (ex. - does your religious beliefs hinder you from working a particular day or time?)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Expect little to no negotiation. Food Lion has a set pay scale for each position within each district (top pay is how it is usually referred to).

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Food Lion (Durham, NC) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about 3 days later to come in for an interview in one week. I came in on my lunch break and was required to wait an hour past my appointment time before I was even seen (I was the first interview too). The interview was pretty quick and started off with shuffling through apparently unread applications trying to find mine and then going over my work experience. Once it was discovered I had no previous specific grocery store experience, despite previous management experience in a food related environment and a management degree, I could tell I was immediately no longer considered for the position. There was no interest in hearing how my experience could be applied even if I was an outsider of the company since, at this point, I was just being told how you basically could never be successful in this position if you didn't start at the absolute entry level in Food Lion and work up over years. The rest of the interview was just trying to talk me down to what amounted to a standard hourly position that would actually be a downgrade from my position at my current employer. I don't even know why I was interviewed if the lack of interest in company outsiders is so apparent; ultimately, a waste of my and the company's time, frankly.

Interview Questions

• What are your current job duties/accomplishments?   3 Answers

Cashier Interview

Interview

I kept calling and calling. Finally when called in for interview, the process went very smoothly. The supervisor was very friendly and asked all the appropriate questions. I ended up taking the job offer and giving my years of experience able to start off a little more than most employees that come on board.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Food Lion.

Interview

Applied Online. Waited a week and called to follow up about my application. They called me in to be interviewed. The interview process was one on one and was very standard. After the interview they offered the job and I accept. It was a pain free process.

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Statesville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Food Lion (Statesville, NC) in October 2014.

Interview

Pretty Basic. Not very difficult questions, if you have had experience doing interviews before you will be fine. I called the store to ask about a Front end position, I let them know I had already applied and have worked for food lion previously, and I am eligible for re-hire. Called me back same day asked if I could come the next day for an interview. I did and was offered the position at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a difficult customer, are you okay with selling and or declining the sell of tobacco/ alcohol sales. What are your strengths/weakness. What would make you a good employee. How you willing are you to handle schedule changes or come in on short notice when not scheduled. How long do you plan to stay at this job if hired.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Interview

Came in for interview after call, sat down in the customer service office and a woman brought me the employment forms, and asked when I could start. Must have been the easiest job I ever got.

DSD Receiver Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Food Lion in August 2014.

Interview

Hired on the spot. I always shopped at my neighborhood Food Lion and asked if they were needing any help. Once I asked and they said yes and we had an informal interview and I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Are you looking for a career here?   1 Answer

Meat Cutter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solomons, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Food Lion (Solomons, MD) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was very informal. I sat down with the Meat Market Manager and Grocery Manager. The questions were pretty basic, examining my work history and going over why I left past positions. After we toured the Meat department, cutting room and the freezers. Overall it felt more like a conversation than an interview. By the end the questions had stopped and we we just talking about random topics.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to know about my work history, with special interest on the terms I left past employers.   Answer Question