Ford Motor Company Manufacturing Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2015

3.2

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

I interviewed with 3 managers at once. The interview process itself was very scripted. They had documents which contained the questions they had to ask me. They asked 12 questions: 6 skills-based questions and 6 behavioral questions. The interviewers had to write down comments and notes on your response on the paper. The interview took about 90 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a customer that is being difficult?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Ford Motor Company

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Ford Motor Company in January 2015.

Interview

Overall it was very standard and went through your resume and asked questions about specific experiences. It took about half an hour and was with two engineers from different departments. Both were friendly and went into detail about what their role was in their respective departments. There were not too many technical questions in this interview - mainly questions surrounding behavior and your resume.

Interview Questions

• What was one issue that came up that didn't go exactly as planned and how did you react to it?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Ford Motor Company.

Interview

Pretty much a whole day thing. They fly you out the day prior then interviews the next day. Interview started at 11am and was approx. 90 minutes. Intimidating at first, since it is a 3-1 interview process, but the guys are friendly and cool. After the interview, they discuss and they let you know pretty much right away. You will know if you get the job within 10 minutes after the interview. Process is set up in 10 questions. First 5 are technical and the other 5 are behavioral. Answer the question with: situation, how you went about it, and results. Focus all your answers about how you went about it and you'll be fine. Thats all they care about.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Allen Park, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at Ford Motor Company (Allen Park, MI) in May 2014.

Interview

The hiring process consisted of a Ford recruiter calling myself and talking to me for about a half hour. After that I received an email for setting up a phone interview the following week. Three days later, I received a call for a on site panel interview, the following week. Two weeks after that I received a call asking me if I was still interested and I received an offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were essay type questions and without vast experience, would be extremely difficult to answer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was better than what I told the recruiter I was looking for.

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Ford Motor Company in October 2013.

Interview

Set up an interview at my college's career fair for the next day. Interview itself was fairly straightforward and formal. There were several standard questions, and the interviewer would take notes on key points they were looking for as I answered; they use the CAR format. It wasn't until we got through all the standard questions and were going through formalities that we found out I wasn't eligible since I wasn't a U.S. citizen and needed work sponsorship.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you faced at your previous job and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Interview

The interview process was all day event (8am to 5pm). 50 or so potential hires showed up to the event. it started with breakfast in the morning. Tours of various Ford Facilities/historic sites in Dearborn, MI. The first round of interviewing was about noon after lunch. It was a monitored group discussion with other potential hires. Prior to the interview day we were given a made up scenario that Ford received extra funds to be used and some options were give on how the money should be used. Each potential hire had to choose from the options on how the money should be spent and discuss/defend your choice among the other potential hires. After that, more site seeing and about three o'clock another more formal interview. With a hiring manager and a HR rep. interview was about 30 mins. There was no discussion about what was on my resume. There were some formal interview questions and some behavior type questions like your boss wants you to ship parts that are knowingly nonconforming, do you ship the parts? How would you handle the scenario. We were told that hiring decisions would be made based on those two interview processes and we would know if you going to presented a job offer that same day. After the two rounds of interviews we had a dinner with hiring managers. We were broken into smaller groups and each group had two hiring mangers that we were expected to interact with and get more perspective of the job. This dinner had no bearing on the hiring decision. After the dinner we found out if we would receive a job offer or not. This was a great hiring process. I was intimidated at first by it being an all day event and the number of potential hires. But it all worked out well.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you took a risk? Give STAR (situation task action results)   Answer Question

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Interview

had a on campus interview and invited to talent management conference and sent out offers the week after

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Interview

had an on-campus interview and invited to the Talent Management Conference

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in February 2013.

Interview

After the pre-screening, I was invited to the Ford Talent Management Conference at Ford HQ in Dearborn, MI. This is basically an event where they invite several candidates (20-30) for various opportunities. The event consisted of an interview with two Ford supervisors and a group session with 3 other candidates and a panel of 3 Ford employees. Prior to attending the conference, I was asked to complete a case study where I had to recommend one of the four suggested solutions and make a case for it.

The interview process consisted of 7-8 behavioral based questions and lasted about 30 minutes. Besides short introductions at the beginning, the interviewers went right into the case study. Had to explain my recommendation and why. Then I was asked several behavioral questions including:
     - Describe an innovative solution you came up with
     - Describe a risk you took and the decision making process
     - You are new to a facility and is in charge of a project. Two of the people in your team don't like each other, but you're not aware of it and this conflict has affected progress. What would you do? (They're looking to see how you communicate and manage conflict).
    - You are in charge of a production line and one of the safety guarding is missing on conveyor. The production supervisor wants to start production. What would you do? (Safety first).

The group session lasted about 30-40 mins and was with 3 other candidate (not necessarily interviewing for the same job) and 3 Ford employees. The case study, once again, was used for this session. The scenario was that as a group we had to recommend a solution and rank the others. The 3 employees just observed how we worked as a team and didn't say a word.

Overall I had a great experience. The Ford supervisors and employees I met were friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• You are in charge of a production line and one of the safety guarding is missing on conveyor. The production supervisor wants to start production. What would you do?   3 Answers

Negotiation

Didn't have to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Ford Motor Company (Dearborn, MI) in September 2011.

Interview

2 phone screens
    Talent management conference at the HQ
    Offer came within 2 days
    Very well organized and looking forward to work with them