Ford Motor

Relevance Date Difficulty

Manufacturing Engineer Interview

Manufacturing Engineer
Dearborn, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in February 2013.

Interview Details – After the pre-screening, I was invited to the Ford Talent Management Conference at Ford HQ in Dearborn, MI. This is basically an event where they invite several candidates (20-30) for various opportunities. The event consisted of an interview with two Ford supervisors and a group session with 3 other candidates and a panel of 3 Ford employees. Prior to attending the conference, I was asked to complete a case study where I had to recommend one of the four suggested solutions and make a case for it.

The interview process consisted of 7-8 behavioral based questions and lasted about 30 minutes. Besides short introductions at the beginning, the interviewers went right into the case study. Had to explain my recommendation and why. Then I was asked several behavioral questions including:
 - Describe an innovative solution you came up with
 - Describe a risk you took and the decision making process
 - You are new to a facility and is in charge of a project. Two of the people in your team don't like each other, but you're not aware of it and this conflict has affected progress. What would you do? (They're looking to see how you communicate and manage conflict).
- You are in charge of a production line and one of the safety guarding is missing on conveyor. The production supervisor wants to start production. What would you do? (Safety first).

The group session lasted about 30-40 mins and was with 3 other candidate (not necessarily interviewing for the same job) and 3 Ford employees. The case study, once again, was used for this session. The scenario was that as a group we had to recommend a solution and rank the others. The 3 employees just observed how we worked as a team and didn't say a word.

Overall I had a great experience. The Ford supervisors and employees I met were friendly and professional.

Interview Question – You are in charge of a production line and one of the safety guarding is missing on conveyor. The production supervisor wants to start production. What would you do?   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – Didn't have to.

Financial Analyst Internship Interview

Financial Analyst Internship
Dearborn, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in September 2012.

Interview Details – They send you a case. This consists of emails about products, where they are made, fuel prices, market share, ect. You have to make graphs and compose a one page analysis of where you would make the car and at what percent market share. Say what variables you held constant, why, and what information you wish you had or got narrowed down more to make a more educated decision. Also what qualitative reasons you chose it.

Interview Question – what other information would you want to make your decision more accurate or make you feel more comfortable.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotiation really. they just sent me an offer and i accepted.

Electrician Interview

Electrician
Auburn Hills, MI

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone screen 15 minutes, several behavior questions non technical

Interview Question – a project you lead   Answer Question

Zone Manager Interview

Zone Manager
Dearborn, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in December 2012.

Interview Details – First round interview was an in-person, 2-on-1 (2 interviewers plus myself) interview held at my school. I am a college senior. Second round interview was an all-day event held in Dearborn, MI. The all-day event had not only another 2-on-1 interview with more challenging questions, but it also had a group activity and simulated meeting with a car dealership manager.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you recently took a risk and what were the results. Describe this situation in as much detail as possible.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Dearborn, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Ford Motor in December 2012.

Interview Details – I met a recruiter at NSHMBA career fair. He told me that with 8 years experience as an aerospace engineer (and an MBA) I was exactly the kind of guy they needed in program management. He gave me a requisition number to apply to.

I received an email a week or so later and filled out a detailed job application. I then received an email invitation to a Ford Talent Management Conference in Detroit. I couldn't make the first one, but they invited me to another they were holding a few weeks later.

The interview was split into two portions. First, they split us into groups for a group case study. They had emailed us a case study where we were to prepare, and we were now to present our recommendation to the 3-4 other members of our small group. Each group was evaluated by silent HR people who watched our interactions. We basically had to work together to reconcile our recommendations and rank them, coming to a group consensus.

The second portion of the interview was with two people from the area where we were interviewing. Mine was with two Program Managers in Product Development (one was a supervisor). They asked a series of run of the mill behavioral questions and a few "what would you do in this situation".

After the interviews, we had a lunch presentation about whatever business unit we were interviewing with, and then we were done.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you used your political savvy to get results.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was pretty decent, but the benefits were consistent with an entry-level job (2 weeks of vacation). I have opportunities at other companies for comparable jobs with better benefits and salary. Had the offer been a little bit sweeter (and tailored to my experience), I would have definitely considered it. Also, after talking to the two PMs who I interviewed with, it didn't seem like there is much ability to progress from the PM level. Both of them had been in product management for 15+ years and when I asked about career path the manager said something like "if you are here for a while and do a really good job on a bunch of projects, over and over, you might get to be a supervisor."

Intern Interview

Intern
Dearborn, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online without any connections, heard from them within two weeks, had one phone interview. Interview was mostly behavioral.

Interview Question – How I would react to low team morale after a person was fired for an invalid reason.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – did not negotiate

Field Manager Interview

Field Manager
Dearborn, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Ford Motor.

Interview Details – Overall cumbersome

Interview Question – Why would you apply for a position with a significant lower pay?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes although very archaic system of communication

Ford College Graduate Interview

Ford College Graduate
Dearborn, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor.

Interview Details – The interview process is lengthy, and consists of a phone interview, initial face-to-face interview with 3-4 team members, and finally, a Talent Management Conference (TMC). If you're invited to the TMC, you can be sure you've made the first cut.

The TMC starts around 8AM and can last until Noon or later depending on the schedule they design for you. It consists of several parts including a brief overview of the company, a behavioral interview, technical interview, luncheon, and group case analysis. None of the process is all that difficult (if you "know your stuff"), it's just slow and repetitive.

After you complete the TMC, you will receive an offer decision within a week.

Interview Question – As I said, no particular question was difficult. They were mostly behavioral (i.e. what would you do in X situation), or (How would you respond IF Y happens suddenly?)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation -- everything in FCG is fixed, take it or leave it.

Zone Manager Interview

Zone Manager
Dearborn, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Ford Motor in June 2008.

Interview Details – College grad program, long process

Interview Question – all the questions were the normal "tell me when you had to overcome a difficult situation" type questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiations, based off of school ranking

Product Test Engineer Interview

Product Test Engineer
Dearborn, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Ford Motor.

Interview Details – Interviews are tough.... Almost like being tested rather than an interview. Most interviews I've had with other companies were more like conversations. Ford was tough situational questions, asking how you should react.

Interview Question – I honestly cannot remember, its been a long time   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None. They wouldn't budge one bit, depite better offers from other companies.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Ford Motor