Forever 21

Getting the Interview

71 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Forever 21.

Interview Details – They were having open interviews so I just showed up. Asked a couple basic interview questions (availability, dealing with customers, why forever 21 etc.). I heard back from them a couple days later and was hired!

Interview Question – Why Forever 21?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Minimum wage.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in November 2010.

Interview Details – Casual Questions and a walkthrough of the store.

Interview Question – Sometimes you may be asked to pull certain outfits throughout the store.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much back and forth. They are always looking to save money when it comes to salary, but if you have the experience and knowledge then feel free to negotiate a little.

Buyer Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Forever 21 in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online for multiple positions, one being a Buyer for the Beauty category. I have previous Beauty experience was so I contact very quickly (the next day) and asked if I would be available to interview. From the fact that my resume & profile clearly stated that I was not in the LA area I assumed that they meant phone interview. Once I said I was available they said "Great, we'll see you at our offices on Friday" (this was Tuesday afternoon). I was very interested in the company & position so I booked a last minute flight to be able to attend the interview in person.

Once I got there I met with the recruiter that had originally contacted me, whom I did not get a good vibe from. As we were in the elevator going up to the interview room she said "Wait, so you don't live here do you?" When I replied that no, I had just flown in specifically for the interview she said kind of snottily "wow. Well good luck then".

From the beginning of the process there seemed to be confusion over who was supposed to be meeting with me. I waited in the room for about 35 minutes before someone finally came to check on me and realize that no one had ever come in.

After that I met with the current buyer of the category. It was very informal & conversational, she just asked me a lot of general questions about my background and my current position. After she was done, I met with the DMM. Again very conversational and informal, I really enjoyed talking with them both and felt very comfortable.

After the interview portion was over they gave me what was called a "taste test". Basically they brought in a variety of product and had me go through and say whether I would buy it as is, not buy it, or buy it but make changes.

After that we talked more about the position and if I was willing to relocate for it. They let me know that they don't offer reloaction to anyone under a senior buyer level and asked if that would be a problem. Not knowing the job offer yet I said I was definitely still interested and would like to continue the process. I already had another trip planned back to LA for 2 weeks later which I let them know, in case I would need to come back.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the recuriter who asked if I could come back in that day to meet with someone else. I rushed back to the office and again there was confusion on who was meeting with me.

After that I didn't hear anything for almost 2 weeks. Right before I was getting ready to come back to LA they contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to come in again. The day I was supposed to come in, I contacted the recruiter to verify time. Much to my surprise as I was on my way there I got a call saying that I was actually supposed to be there a 1/2 hour earlier than what they had said!

Overall I thought the interview process was very unorganized and crazed. Seemed like no one really knew what was going on. I really enjoyed the Buyer and DMM I interviewed with but the recruiters were awful!

Interview Question – Are you really serious about relocating?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – In the end, I did get an offer but turned it down. No relocation, salary was about 10k less than what I was currently making, no 401k matching, only 10 vacations days that wouldn't start for 6 months after the start date, long work hours, and an unclear bonus structure. I may have been more willing to make it work if they would have come up in salary or relocation but they were not willing to negotiate. Overall I think that if they really want to attract talent they need to look at their compensation packages and be more competitive.

Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Forever 21 in January 2013.

Interview Details – Well first they have a group interview and stand outside of the store and the manager asks everyone to introduce themselves and why should we hire you and what do you know about retail and how can you contribute to our company.

Interview Question – Well since I'm a guy they asked me how can you contribute since you may not know much about girl clothing.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They asked me if I wanted the job and I said, yes of course!

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Forever 21 in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in person, and upon returning my application, that very same day, was scheduled to interview for the following afternoon. I was told to "dress to impress" meaning be very fashionable and look good, and bring lots of energy to the interview. Upon my arrival the following afternoon, there were about two or three others waiting to be interviewed. I was first interviewed by the Recruiting Manager, then by the Assistant Store manager. They were already interested off the bat. I received a telephone call offering me the position only a couple hours after the interview.

Interview Question – Didn't find any of the questions difficult or over the top, but maybe that's because I am seasoned at working retail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since me and only one other person were at the Orientation, we had a chance to negotiate our starting pay. The recruiting manager suggested to us that based on our experience, the other guy hired was also highly qualified, that we should negotiate our rate instead of settling for the standard beginning pay. Anyway, we were successful at negotiating our salaries and i managed to get the salary I asked for.

AP Clerk Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Forever 21 in February 2010.

Interview Details – Disappointing!

Negotiation Details – AP Manager didn't wanted to pay what I asked for!

Torrance, CA

I applied in-person and interviewed at Forever 21.

Interview Details – i went in for an open interview and it was a interview with 5 other people. The manager only asked us one question, What type of animal would you be and why? After that she said she would call in a week if you qualified for a second interview.

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Forever 21 in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was super easy. They did not ask a lot of questions about your resume (resumes are optional), but more questions on behavorial.

Interview Question – The most difficult question: How would you convince someone to purchase the nail polish?   View Answer

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Forever 21.

Interview Details – Mixed feelings about their hiring process. Initially did a group interview which was very general with the VP of buying and a recruiter (group interview for buying department). The recruiter asked us several questions including: 1) Describe a mistake you made and what you did to solve it 2) What's your best / most favorite accomplishment...can't quite remember the last one. 2 weeks later I received a call for a one on one interview for a Merchandising Coordinator position (which I did not apply to), met with the DMM of the buying department and she asked me questions such as: 1) When was the last time you went shopping 2) What do you think about our website 3) Name your favorite designers etc..

Basically by the end of our very brief interview (about 15-20 minutes, and she was late, and she interrupted the interview by taking a phone call and stepping outside), I felt as though I didn't get a chance to talk about my prior work experience or skills / talent. She barely asked me questions that involved what I actually knew. Her face and emotions were stone cold blank which that I can understand as an interviewer is sometimes a tactic, but her questions were just...off. Not like any interview I've ever been to before. She didn't even know what position she was interviewing me for, she had to ask me what I was there to interview for.

Overall I don't see how she could've gotten an accurate gauge of one's ability and skill, it was more like a test of 'let's see if you crack under pressure, let's ask these weird off questions and be very stoic to see how you react'

Interview Question – There was no difficult question, just questions you wouldn't prepare for, but would know off the bat (meaning your wording and poise may come off as startled) - !) When was the last time you went shopping? 2) What do you think of our website?   Answer Question

Real Estate Associate Interview

East Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Forever 21.

Interview Details – Phonecall which leads to in office interview. Interview was brief, non specfic and interviewer kept answering his cell phone. It was unprofessional and the location of the company is in a very bad part of East Los Angeles. Asked some general questions about real estate.

Interview Question – Few questions asked. Nothing specific. Very unusal interview.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Forever 21