Forever 21

2.3

86 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in March 2013.

I applied online at the end of January. I heard back from them almost a month and a half later. I was interviewed by two individuals that let the department. Both were very sweet but were obviously not very experienced with interviewing people. It felt more like an interrogation than an interview - that made it a little hard to feel comfortable discussing my experience and qualifications. The HR department is very helpful and extremely welcoming.

Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Forever 21.

Mixed feelings about their hiring process. Initially did a group interview which was very general with the VP of buying and a recruiter (group interview for buying department). The recruiter asked us several questions including: 1) Describe a mistake you made and what you did to solve it 2) What's your best / most favorite accomplishment...can't quite remember the last one. 2 weeks later I received a call for a one on one interview for a Merchandising Coordinator position (which I did not apply to), met with the DMM of the buying department and she asked me questions such as: 1) When was the last time you went shopping 2) What do you think about our website 3) Name your favorite designers etc..

Basically by the end of our very brief interview (about 15-20 minutes, and she was late, and she interrupted the interview by taking a phone call and stepping outside), I felt as though I didn't get a chance to talk about my prior work experience or skills / talent. She barely asked me questions that involved what I actually knew. Her face and emotions were stone cold blank which that I can understand as an interviewer is sometimes a tactic, but her questions were just...off. Not like any interview I've ever been to before. She didn't even know what position she was interviewing me for, she had to ask me what I was there to interview for.

Overall I don't see how she could've gotten an accurate gauge of one's ability and skill, it was more like a test of 'let's see if you crack under pressure, let's ask these weird off questions and be very stoic to see how you react'

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, just questions you wouldn't prepare for, but would know off the bat (meaning your wording and poise may come off as startled) - !) When was the last time you went shopping? 2) What do you think of our website?   Answer Question

Real Estate Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Forever 21.

Phonecall which leads to in office interview. Interview was brief, non specfic and interviewer kept answering his cell phone. It was unprofessional and the location of the company is in a very bad part of East Los Angeles. Asked some general questions about real estate.

Interview Questions
    • Few questions asked. Nothing specific. Very unusal interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission Viejo, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Forever 21 in January 2013.

Well first they have a group interview and stand outside of the store and the manager asks everyone to introduce themselves and why should we hire you and what do you know about retail and how can you contribute to our company.

Interview Questions
    • Well since I'm a guy they asked me how can you contribute since you may not know much about girl clothing.   View Answer
    They asked me if I wanted the job and I said, yes of course!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palmdale, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in December 2012.

It took a couple of weeks for them to call me back, but when they did, they scheduled an interview the next Tuesday which was just this past Tuesday 12/4/12. We had a group interview. Amazingly everyone was dressed rather casually. The group interview was extremely easy with our interviewer asking us very basic question.

*Why do you want to work here?
    *What do you have to offer F21?
    *Tell us a time where you went above and beyond for a customer
    *What do you think is most important in doing your job?
    *What did you do at your last job?

Basically, the questions are extremely easy! At the end of the interview, I made sure to give her my resume just to stand out more and she told us she may call in a couple of weeks to offer a position. The day after, 12/3/12, I received a call from her offering a job at F21! My orientation is tomorrow, 12/7 at 1pm.

My recommendation to you other than the basic interview courtesies is to make sure you speak first. Stand out and dress like you're serious about getting this position. Also bring extra copies of resumes and when the opportunity comes, make sure to ask as many questions pertaining to the job as you please, but don't go overboard. You do not want to be pushy, there are other people trying to get this job too. Lastly, relax! Be confident and rock a genuine smile. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you positively influenced a co-worker. (Easy, right?)   Answer Question
    My orientation is tomorrow so perhaps the negotiation phase will be in there, but when I received the call offering a position, the manager told me the general range of what I will be offered and implied I will most likely earn $8.25 an hour. A job is a job and F21 was my top target so I immediately accepted.

Lead Web Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in December 2012.

Initial communication with HR manager was very good, extremely friendly. However on interview day I was thrown for a loop when I had to do several small "tests' with merchandise and photographs that I was not at all prepared for. The HR manager mentioned nothing about this when she was telling me what to expect on interview day.

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Forever 21.

Applied online (through Careerbuilder), and got a phone call from F21 HR. Had a brief phone interview, and after several e-mails back and forth, had an an in-person interview scheduled at their corporate HQ in Los Angeles. Very cool modern building. Met with the hiring manager and assistant controller. Nothing terribly out of the ordinary for this interview. Just your general behavioral based.

Several days later, I received a call from HR saying they wanted to schedule a 2nd round interview and they would be in touch in the coming days with scheduling information. Several days go by, a week goes by....I send a few follow-up e-mails, and leave several voicemails and nothing. I assume the position was filled, but I felt it would have been common courtesy to let me know of such.

Two months later, I receive a call from F21 HR saying they'd like to invite me back to interview for the same Sr. Financial Analyst position. Still, being in the job market, I was glad to get the interview. This interview was with the Controller (the level-up manager). Interview was more of conversation, that question/answer interview style, which I really appreciated, because I think that's the best way to get to know a candidate. Several days later I received an offer.

I felt the offer was not very competitive with the market ("stale" base salary and benefits weren't great, though they did have an attractive bonus structure (though that would only fully kick in after a year of service)), and communicated that as such to human resources. The recruiter I was working with was very taken aback, as if I was speaking Chinese. Even so, she promised to go back to the hiring manager and see what she can do. Several days go by, and nothing. Several more, and nada. I find this (and the whole interview process) very unprofessional, and really reflects poorly on Forever 21. From what I read, I think working here could be a cool experience. Sounded like a lot of growth potential. Subsidized lunches were a big plus. 8:30am - 6:30pm working hours was not very attractive. Where's the work/life balance??

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Forever 21?   View Answer

I tried to negotiate, but never received a response from human resources. One of the big negatives for me was the 10 hour working days. Don't get me wrong, I don't have an issue with working late when it is warranted on occasion, but I don't see the need to establish a 10-hour/day expectation.

The bonus structure was attractive (3 potential bonus payments during the year, each up to 15%), however the base salary offer was just not there for me. Also, health care costs were significantly higher than I had expected, and there is no 401k matching.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Forever 21 in November 2012.

I applied in person, and upon returning my application, that very same day, was scheduled to interview for the following afternoon. I was told to "dress to impress" meaning be very fashionable and look good, and bring lots of energy to the interview. Upon my arrival the following afternoon, there were about two or three others waiting to be interviewed. I was first interviewed by the Recruiting Manager, then by the Assistant Store manager. They were already interested off the bat. I received a telephone call offering me the position only a couple hours after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Didn't find any of the questions difficult or over the top, but maybe that's because I am seasoned at working retail.   Answer Question
    Since me and only one other person were at the Orientation, we had a chance to negotiate our starting pay. The recruiting manager suggested to us that based on our experience, the other guy hired was also highly qualified, that we should negotiate our rate instead of settling for the standard beginning pay. Anyway, we were successful at negotiating our salaries and i managed to get the salary I asked for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Forever 21 in November 2012.

It was a group interview, there was about 7 of us who were brought to the back and the interview was kept short and sweet. The manager asked a 3 in 1 question.

Interview Questions
    • What is your previous work experience, why you want to work at forever 21 and 3 strengths .   View Answer
    She called out everyone's name one by one to go outside the room and she just simply stated whether if we got the job or not. She asked me what was my availability and said she wanted to bring me on board, she just wanted me to smile more on the job.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in October 2012.

I applied online for multiple positions, one being a Buyer for the Beauty category. I have previous Beauty experience was so I contact very quickly (the next day) and asked if I would be available to interview. From the fact that my resume & profile clearly stated that I was not in the LA area I assumed that they meant phone interview. Once I said I was available they said "Great, we'll see you at our offices on Friday" (this was Tuesday afternoon). I was very interested in the company & position so I booked a last minute flight to be able to attend the interview in person.

Once I got there I met with the recruiter that had originally contacted me, whom I did not get a good vibe from. As we were in the elevator going up to the interview room she said "Wait, so you don't live here do you?" When I replied that no, I had just flown in specifically for the interview she said kind of snottily "wow. Well good luck then".

From the beginning of the process there seemed to be confusion over who was supposed to be meeting with me. I waited in the room for about 35 minutes before someone finally came to check on me and realize that no one had ever come in.

After that I met with the current buyer of the category. It was very informal & conversational, she just asked me a lot of general questions about my background and my current position. After she was done, I met with the DMM. Again very conversational and informal, I really enjoyed talking with them both and felt very comfortable.

After the interview portion was over they gave me what was called a "taste test". Basically they brought in a variety of product and had me go through and say whether I would buy it as is, not buy it, or buy it but make changes.

After that we talked more about the position and if I was willing to relocate for it. They let me know that they don't offer reloaction to anyone under a senior buyer level and asked if that would be a problem. Not knowing the job offer yet I said I was definitely still interested and would like to continue the process. I already had another trip planned back to LA for 2 weeks later which I let them know, in case I would need to come back.

Later that afternoon I got a call from the recuriter who asked if I could come back in that day to meet with someone else. I rushed back to the office and again there was confusion on who was meeting with me.

After that I didn't hear anything for almost 2 weeks. Right before I was getting ready to come back to LA they contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to come in again. The day I was supposed to come in, I contacted the recruiter to verify time. Much to my surprise as I was on my way there I got a call saying that I was actually supposed to be there a 1/2 hour earlier than what they had said!

Overall I thought the interview process was very unorganized and crazed. Seemed like no one really knew what was going on. I really enjoyed the Buyer and DMM I interviewed with but the recruiters were awful!

Interview Questions

In the end, I did get an offer but turned it down. No relocation, salary was about 10k less than what I was currently making, no 401k matching, only 10 vacations days that wouldn't start for 6 months after the start date, long work hours, and an unclear bonus structure. I may have been more willing to make it work if they would have come up in salary or relocation but they were not willing to negotiate. Overall I think that if they really want to attract talent they need to look at their compensation packages and be more competitive.