Forever 21

Forever 21 Visual Manager Interview Questions

3.1

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Visual Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Forever 21.

2 interviews in 1 day first with the DM at one location then I had to drive 45 min to interview with the Field. It was a long day it was about 4 hour total with drive time.

Interview Questions
  • Interview was not hard, all the questions are pretty much what you would expect. They asked me to walk them through the looks of the store also what were top trends.   Answer Question
I asked for more than than I knew they would offer so we were able to met in the middle.

Other Interview Reviews for Forever 21

Visual Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Forever 21.

first interview typical interview questions based on experience

second interview dressing manniquins

i countered and they met me half way

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maumee, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maumee, OH

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in March 2012.

This was the most UNPROFESSIONAL interview I have ever had!
    1) I received a call a month after I applied from the DM asking if I was still interested in the position. I said yes & scheduled a store interview.
    2) For the interview I sat down at the front of the store with the DM & Store Manager. I was basically ganged up on! They kept asking me questions that only associates would know, correcting my answers if they didn't like what I said or engaging with each other. I felt so lost and disappointed. I have loved this company forever & felt like I didn't get a fair chance.
    3) After the "interview" the DM had me pick out 3 completely different outfits. I did well on this part.
    4) She told me to call her back with my references, even though I attached it with my application online.
    5) I called her 3 times a day for 3 days trying to give her my references. She never answered or responded to my messages. So I stopped trying!

Visual Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Forever 21 in September 2011.

She reviewed my application to make sure I was qualified. Then set the interview. She asked me series of interview questions; expected responds to questions; gave job description; and open floor for me to ask questions. Upper management repeats first step, questions were a little more in-depth. After interview they compared notes and made a decision.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question usually ask is "tell me your weakness".   View Answer
    No it didn't get to negotiate. My advice would be to go in high with you salary demands, that why when they counter you you'll get close to the amount you desire.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victor, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victor, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Forever 21 in November 2010.

I applied online and after a few weeks I was contacted by the field visual manager. She wanted to interview me for the visual merchandising manager position. She was not going to be at that store for another week, so I had to go and have a first interview with the store manager. That was the worst interview I ever had. During the entire interview she complained and whined about how she got in trouble for how the store looked after she came back from vacation. We spent maybe ten minutes talking about me, and my experience and job history. The following week, I had the other interview with the field visual manager. This one wa better. We talked about my experience, and she told me all about the store. I should have known from the interview with the store manager how the job would end up being. I had a very negative first impression of her, but a good one of the field manager. This is why I accepted the job, even though I had my doubts. After not hearing from the store manager after a few weeks, I sent an email to the field manager following up. The store manager was supposed to have called me with a job offer earlier, but never got around to it. After that, she called, and the job offer was made.

Interview Questions
    • The store manager gave me three different scenarios, with different types of girls, and I had to go through the store and pick out a complete outfit for each one. This was done to make sure I understood fashion, and the forever 21 customer.   View Answer
    • At the interview with the field manager, we were sitting outside of the store. She told me to start with the front windows and I had to tell her everything I thought was wrong with the store and how I would make it better visually. She did this to show me how terrible of a condition the store was in and to make sure I could fix it.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation phase. When she called with the job offer, she told ma at the end of the conversation what the pay would be.

Visual Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Forever 21 in February 2012.

Interviewed for the visual manager position and was more than qualified however they offered me a visual merchandiser position. The interview pretty much consisted of me pulling three looks all with a common theme. The next step was walking around each department and expressing what you felt was wrong with the displays and what you would do differently. Overall the interview was easy, except I didn't like the field merchandising managers attitude. Instead of looking at my amazing portfolio they decided to make snarky remarks as if they were Anna Wintour...but I digress...

Interview Questions
    • When have you needed to be a leader at your past jobs?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation with this company. They call. They give you an offer. You take it or leave it.

Visual Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Forever 21 in September 2011.

I sent in my resume to Forever 21 in late June. I received a call from the Forever 21 District Manager and she wanted to interview me that day so I went in and interviewed with her. I was very not prepared when I went into the interview, but I figured it would not hurt to try. The whole thing was VERY disorganized. It was during a very busy hour and I went in and originally the store manager told me I had come an hour early. Went back an hour later and she apologized saying that she thought I was there for a group sales associate interview. When the district manager and I were introduced, originally it was just her and I. Once she asked which position I was more interested in *Visual Manager or Store Manager* she brought me over to resume the interview with her second in command as well, which I presume is what Forever 21 calls an Area Manager. The interview was very informal to be honest. Normally for an interview they take you to the stores back room or to the food court. They just took my to the front of the store and we sat down on the "ledge" of where their mannequins were displayed in the window. The second in command thanked me at the end of the interview and said the wrong name, and apologized. It was a very unorganized interview. They told me they would call me after they had finished interviewing the other candidates the following day and not to expect a call for a week or so. As usual, District Managers are VERY slow at the hiring process. I received a call five weeks after my initial and only interview and was offered the visual manager position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were visually merchandising an area and it did not "work" together?   View Answer
    • What are the three trends that will be "big" this up and coming season?   View Answer
    I really did not even try to negotiate. Forever 21 pays much more than I make now at a smaller retail company, so I was pleased with what they offered me. The lady who called me was from corporate (not the district manager or second in command I interviewed with) and basically told me they wanted me for the job and that this much was what they were offering.

Visual Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Forever 21 in April 2011.

The work culture in the store seemed very casual and friendly. I was a little surprised at all the different parts of the interview. I was asked to merchandise a fixture with product of my choice, then describe the type of girl that would shop the fixture. After that there was a one on one interview with a person on district staff, that was fairly typical. We then walked the store together to see if I could identify the different "shops" within the store and describe the type of girl that would shop them, also how I would improve those areas. I then was asked to pick out two outfits completely different from the product I used earlier and different from any of their "shops". Then I met with another district manager for more one on one. The whole thing took two hours and I was exhausted but it was a good learning experience.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a manager/supervisor you had difficulties with in the past and how you resolved it.   View Answer